• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 46
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5757 times and has 45 replies Next Thread
LeJerque

The Race for the Ruined Ring: Chapter 2 Reply to this Post

Chapter 2: Thread, Thread Whine
Difficulty: A little tricky
Scoring: 14 Potential Pirate Points
LeJerque sez: Today's puzzles are harder than yesterday's by a notable margin, but they're also way more fun. Have fun on them right now or I'll never be your best friend!
LeJerque recommends: Graph paper
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES POST OR DISCUSS PUZZLE ANSWERS TO THE FORUMS! YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IMMEDIATELY!

TODAY'S ANSWERS REQUIRE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMISSION! PLEASE PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION TO THE "SCORING CRITERIA" SECTION AT THE END!

Even after all her years as a sailor, the sea continued to strike Pierut as the world's biggest paradox. To drink of its water was to perish, she knew, yet as she stood high above the deck in the tiny crow's nest and took in an indulgent breath of the crisp sea air, she felt refreshed and full of life. Pierut exhaled with a wide smile, and stared out at the shimmering ocean in all its mystery. Did the sea have whims and desires of its own? Was it a hidden consciousness that decided whether a pirate thrived or failed upon its waves? The silver-haired captain of the Cirrhotic Liverfish gave another happy sigh, and drummed her fingers on the edge of her lookout post. Surely, if the sea was alive, it was in a mood as good as hers, and she silently thanked it for keeping her sails full.

"Cap'n Pierut!"

Leaning over the edge of the crow's nest, Pierut waved down to her Lieutenant, who was cupping her hands to her mouth. "Cap'n, the sun be as high as she'll go. Shall I ration out the rum an' bread?"

"Aye, an' take yer own ration as well, Miss Jacquilynne," nodded Pierut, swinging her way down to the sturdy rope ladder and slowly descending the mast. "I'll take the wheel meself."

"Aye aye, Cap'n," nodded Jacquilynne, hurrying down below the deck. Pierut paused on the ladder, watching the diligent sailor attend to her duties with a satisfied grin. It had been a long voyage to the Northern edge of the Tourmaline Archipelago, but not nearly as long as it could have been. Captain Pierut felt the scrap of parchment between her fingers and gave it a small squeeze, looking off into the distance. Her feet touched the deck gently, and she slowly wrapped a hand around the ship's wheel, all the while watching and waiting for her destination to appear. Even without knowing why they were going there, her hardworking crew had seen to it that the trip was efficient and smooth, and she intended to make sure their efforts were duly rewarded. With a grin, she imagined the plentiful reward that the mysterious jewelry of the Ice Shards would bring, and giggled at the thought of her three sailors galloping off to spend their shares.

Towards the bow, Righty gave an exhausted grunt as he pulled on a long rope, using his tanned arms to persuade the billowing sails to stay in position. He sidestepped towards the railing and looped the ropes into a quick knot before finally slumping into a squat and mopping his brow. "She's keepin' a steady clip, Cap'n," the tired sailor called, turning to look in Pierut's direction. "Less'n the wind shifts too much, we'll see land before dusk."

"Thank ye, Mr. Righty," nodded Pierut, beckoning him with an inviting wave of her hand. "Come an' take yer rations."

Behind her, Hermes got up from his hands and knees, stretching towards the sky, still clutching the hammer he'd been using to make repairs to the ship. "Arrr, a bite o' lunch will be most welcome!" he declared, striding towards Pierut as well. His captain leaned to one side, looking over her shoulder at him with a reproachful gaze.

"I don't recall givin' ye permission to abandon yer duty, Mr. Hermes." Hermes stopped in mid-step, blinking in surprise, and slumping his shoulders, his lip curling into a disappointed pout as he glumly started back towards his woodpile. Pierut giggled loudly and let the wheel go, turning around to wave her hands to the obedient pirate. "I'm teasin', ye great clod! Put that hammer down an' get over here."

Righty's laughing earned him a punch in the arm from Hermes, as Jacquilynne re-emerged on deck, carrying a dark wooden barrel and two loaves of crusty, dense bread. "A helpin' for everyone, me hearties! Eat up while it be fresh!"

Righty grasped one of the loaves, starting to tear it in half as he grinned at Jacquilynne. "Oi, I'm sure the servin' wench brought us bread what's only two weeks old."

Jacquilynne smirked, and snapped back, "How old does it feel to ye, then?" She roughly clubbed the rude pirate over the head with the remaining loaf before splitting it between herself and the captain. "Serving wench indeed, ye great blaggard."

"Right, lads, at ease," snickered Pierut, well aware that her crew was already as relaxed as they were bound to get. "Gather round, I've somethin' to show to ye."

"Not another course change?" worried Hermes around a mouthful of bread.

"Nay, we're done with that," replied Pierut, smiling to the trio of curious sailors. "I didn't set us towards our true destination to begin with, for fear we'd be followed. But we're in the clear, I'm thinkin', an' with the wind on our side, we'll reach our destination today. I'll finally tell ye, lads, that we're headed fer the port o' Ganymede Island."

"Ganymede?" blinked Jacquilynne, swirling a cup of rum thoughtfully. "What makes ye think Cleaver's hidin' there? That isle's bustlin' with activity day an' night."

"Aye, every pirate in these waters puts into Ganymede at one time or another," agreed Righty.

"Then it be a perfect hidin' place," smiled Pierut, her eye glinting with sly confidence. "Nobody'd suspect he'd keep the treasure there! Besides, we've got a map." She held out the shred of paper she had claimed in the Pen and Puzzlement, showing it off proudly.

"So have the Looterati, an' Fortuna's Beholden," Righty reminded her, still not sharing his captain's optimism.

Pierut shook the paper in front of Righty's eyes, the dry parchment casting off a thin layer of dust. "Aye, but we've got the part with an island circled in ink, an' the sure mark of a treasure to boot! This is the part those poor fools would've needed!" Righty blinked widely, looking closer at the fragment. Sure enough, there was the unmistakable shape of Ganymede Island, with an important-looking circle plotted around it... and near the Western tip, plain as day, somebody had scrawled a telltale 'X'.

"Cap'n, ye're surely the best good-luck charm I've ever known!" cried Hermes, lifting his cup in a toast.

"Aye to that," cheered Jacquilynne. "Hooray for Cap'n Pierut!"

"Nay, Vector, hooray for all o' ye," smiled Pierut with a mild blush. "'tis yer hard work what brought us this far."

"But we're only followin' yer orders," insisted Righty, "So hooray for ye!"

"Oi! I be the cap'n here, an' I decides what we shouts hooray for," demanded Pierut, putting her hands defiantly on her hips.

"Mutiny," shouted Righty. "I says ye be removed as cap'n so's we can cheer ye."

"Aye! Hooray fer Pierut, even if it means a mutiny," chimed Jacquilynne.

"Hooray fer mutiny!" piped Hermes.

"Ye dunce."

-----

The coil of rope flew off of the dock and into Jacquilynne's waiting hands, flung her way by a neatly-dressed longshoreman. As the Cirrhotic Liverfish was moored by its diligent crew, Pierut propped a foot on the portside railing and gazed towards the growing colony that sprawled up the shores of Ganymede Island. The sun had not yet disappeared from the sky, and the roads were swarming with people--some going about their business, some looking to involve themselves in others' business. Sailors and landlubbers alike roamed from building to building, beset on all sides by loud merchants with wares to hawk, and opportunists with schemes to press upon them. Pierut pursed her lips tightly, and stepped away from the rail. Finding Cleaver's treasure might prove difficult; finding it without raising notice might prove nearly impossible. As she turned to watch Righty, Hermes, and Jacquilynne eagerly clamoring around the gangplank, though, she grinned, and knew it would be an interesting hunt.

"Remember, Vector, we don't want to let our secret out," Pierut murmured as she led her crew down the dock. "The reward for Julius' treasures is well-known through these isles; if word gets out we're on their trail, we'll be overrun with jobbers an' beset by thieves."

Jacquilynne grimaced slightly as she looked ahead to the waiting crowd of merchants, watching her crew like hungry coyotes. "How're we to evade these scurvy vendors, then?"

"Hit 'em with some bread, that'll hold 'em at bay," offered Righty with a chuckle.

"Hit Mr. Righty as an example, that should frighten them off," scoffed Hermes, rolling his eyes.

Pierut prepared to deliver a retort to her crew, but her mouth fell open and she blinked in awe. "That's it," she breathed, "Brilliant, Mr. Hermes. Follow my lead!" The sailors of Vector turned towards her with curious looks, but before they could ask what she intended to do, Pierut had unsheathed her sword, the metal flashing in the sunlight and gleaming in the direction of a very surprised Righty. "Fifty pieces o' eight for rum?!" she screamed loudly, fixing her confused crewman with a fiery glare. "Ye'll not cheat another sailor with yer skullduggery, mark me! Prepare to be run through!"

Righty's mouth opened and closed a number of times, failing repeatedly to form an intelligible word as he stared back at his captain in alarm. Jacquilynne's eyes lit up with understanding, and she quickly drew her blade as well, shaking it threateningly at Righty. "Arrr! Death before inflated prices!" Righty found himself hurriedly wielding his own weapon, the piercing clash of steel against steel causing the transfixed crowd of merchants to take several steps backwards as the swordsman defended himself.

"Spare him, ye terrible pirates," cried Hermes, breathing deeply to ensure his entreaties would be heard by the audience. "'tis not his fault the shopkeeper sets the price so high!"

Righty grinned suddenly, barely keeping himself from laughing aloud as the plan finally dawned upon him. "Aye, I be a simple, hard-workin' fellow like ye! Yer quarrel be not with the likes o' me!"

"Who, then?!" demanded Pierut, practically frothing at the mouth as she continued to threaten her loyal sailor. To her side, Jacquilynne was giving her best growl, though the sides of her mouth twitched as she fought off a hysterical smirk.

"It's HIM," shouted Righty, spinning around on the spot and pointing his sword in the general direction of the stunned crowd. "That be the greedy crab!"

"Attack!" shrieked Hermes.

"I'll burn ye!" bellowed Pierut, and raised her sword, charging the frightened merchants. Amid screams and cries of panic, the formidable crowd scattered, running for their lives and emptying the street. Pierut came to a halt no more than fifteen paces from her crew, and looked back to them, doubling over with laughter. "Lads, I may not say it enough, but I do so love ye all."

Slowly composing himself, Hermes started towards his captain, still laughing quite a great deal. "Cap'n, what do we do if somebody really starts attackin' merchants if we try that again?"

"Hire 'em aboard, Mr. Hermes," giggled Pierut, taking out the torn chart and studying it. "Now, let's set about findin' the spot what this 'X' marks."

The four sailors walked steadily towards the sun, making their way towards the Westernmost tip of the island, their eyes scanning for any potential storehouses or hiding places. Just as the sun never seemed any closer, though, neither did the expansive colony seem to end as they continued their trek. Endless rows of stalls lined both sides of the road, selling everything from swords to ships at prices both paltry and exorbitant. Every building they walked past hid several more; Pierut had long since lost sight of the edge of town where they had entered, yet the opposite edge was not yet visible. Pierut breathed deeply as she looked around herself with growing wonder.

"What a place this be to set up a shoppe," mused Hermes, voicing his captain's thoughts. "There must be a merchant fer every five sailors."

"Can ye even imagine?" murmured Jacquilynne, looking at every stall they passed in turn. "If ye could manage yerself properly, risin' to the top o' this market would mean ye were one o' the best merchants in all the ocean. Ye'd be as rich as they come!"

"What a shoppe that'd be!" remarked Pierut, looking dreamily off into the sky.

"Like that one there?" pondered Righty, stopping and pointing forward. Waiting at the end of the road was a tremendous stone building with an angled wooden roof, towering high enough to block the setting sun. The four sailors stood in its massive shadow, breathing gasps of amazement at the sheer size of it. From a balcony high above them, several bolts of colorful cloth hung like banners, waving slowly in the sea breeze. An ornate wooden sign had been intricately painted with graceful calligraphy, declaring to all that this palace-like structure was named "Grand Weft Auto."

"Curse it!" spat Pierut, stomping her foot, and glaring up at the building. "Curse it and scupper all!" Her sailors turned in surprise, watching their captain pitch a fit at the magnificent shoppe. "I'm all for weaveries, but not when they build 'em right on top of our treasure!" In horror, the crew looked to the tiny fragment of paper that Pierut still held. Sure enough, they had reached the Western shore of Ganymede Island, and the 'X' was almost exactly where the enormous building now stood, suddenly seeming far larger and more imposing.

Pierut, furious, shook a fist at the weavery. "No flippin' fabric fortress is goin' to keep me from those treasures! Miss Jacquilynne, fetch me a torch."

"Cap'n, be reasonable," Jacquilynne pleaded, holding her captain back by the shoulder. "Miss Lilymorgan said that the treasures only went missin' some two years ago. I'd wager this buildin' be older than that. Perhaps the 'X' is supposed to mark this weavery?"

Righty looked disappointedly towards the immense structure. "Ye mean we ain't burnin' it?"

Pierut smirked, and shrugged Jacquilynne's hand away. "I suppose miss Jacquilynne could be right, lads. We'll look inside first, an' decide whether we ought to burn it later."

Hermes had already begun to wander towards the entrance as Pierut spoke, squinting curiously and craning his neck in all directions as he started inside. Grand Weft Auto was a sight to see from the inside; bolts of cloth were piled up in tall stacks, dotting the interior landscape with hills of color. A bright rainbow of wares awaited the clientele, the finer cloths hanging like royal tapestries from the tall stone walls. Several looms filled the far corner, awaiting the skilled hands of the undoubtedly hardworking laborers. The rest of the group made their way inside, gazing about in awe, thoroughly impressed by the sheer size of the operation they had descended upon.

"Welcome! Welcome! What'll ye be wantin' to see, me mateys?" Pierut and the crew of Vector turned to meet the enthusiastic voice of a woman dressed in flowing orange clothing. Her smile stretched across her face in pride and eagerness as she waved her hand towards the plentiful cloth that filled the shop. "Be ye needin' a sturdy new sail? We weave a cloth that won't be torn by even the most merciless o' weather! Wait, no..." The smiling hostess put her fingers amiably on Righty's shoulder as he stared back in mild surprise. "Ye strike me as the tailorin' sort. Well, ye'll find only the sleekest, finest silks an' laces fer any clothes ye can dream up! We've got every color that ye'll find in the world, an' there ain't no combination or pattern we can't assemble for ye!"

Pierut gave a chuckle and stepped forward, leaning around Righty to speak to the shoppe's proprietor. "Nothin' quite so fancy as all that, thank ye. Me an' the fine sailors o' Vector, here, are a simple crew o' merchants..."

"We are?" blinked Hermes. Pierut swiftly stepped on his foot, making the sailor yelp and hobble out of the way. "I mean... wheee, arrrr, I'm havin' fun, I am."

"Aye, a fun voyage it's been indeed," smiled Pierut, batting her eyelashes sweetly. "An' as we're lookin' fer some profitable export, I'm interested in only the most valuable o' treasure--or rather, wares--ye might have to offer," she improvised.

"What fine luck ye have, then!" declared the orange-clad merchant, spreading her arms open in a renewed welcome. "Ye'll not find finer quality in these waters. Follow me, Vector, an' I'll give ye the Grand Weft Auto grand tour!"

The curious sailors fell into line behind their captain as the bright, cheerful shopkeeper started to lead them further inside. "It's an odd name, isn't it?" mused Jacquilynne, her eyes scanning the various bolts of fabric. "Grand Weft Auto, I mean."

"Ah, but there's a fine reason!" her guide beamed, swelling with pride. "We're not just a simple weavery, ye see. What ye get from us is a fully autonomous operation, guaranteein' that yer cloth meets our unmatched standards o' quality, every step o' the way. We do it all here; we supply our own materials, we mix our own dyes, we weave the cloth and we even do sewing and patterns for any o' yer more artful needs!"

"That is impressive, to be sure," nodded Pierut distractedly. She felt certain she'd be more impressed if she hadn't been mostly watching for potential hiding places where one might stash a secret, stolen treasure.

"And, ye see," continued the woman in orange, "Since we needn't rely on any outside parties for our dyes, our product remains consistently top-notch! Have a look, here..." She led the pirates towards the back of the shoppe, where the heavy, earthy smell of herbs and plants hung in the air around several small vats of colorful dye. Crouched over one particular vat was a young woman in an apron, slowly and nervously counting out several pieces of a dark red root before dropping them inside. Sensing her audience, she looked up quickly, chuckling with a very jittery smile. Her hands shook violently, and she yelped in fear as she began to drop the rest of the colorful plants, scrambling to try and catch them. Her employer's eyes were suddenly filled with a furious fire, her friendly mood disappearing without a trace. "Crystalclaws! Ye clumsy, useless oaf, watch what ye're doin'!"

"B-but Miss Elie," sputtered the young worker, "I was only--"

"That batch is supposed to wind up orange," bellowed the shopkeeper, "Orange! Like this," she snarled, thrusting her sleeve in the quivering girl's face.

Pierut watched in worried silence as the one called Crystalclaws cowered in fear, pleading with the raging manager. "But, but, it will be! I've just got to add in some--"

"Oh, just add some weld, is that all?!" shouted Elie, her voice straining and her face becoming as red as the madder roots scattered near the vat. "Ye think ye knows it all, do ye? Ye can't add all the madder and then just hope the weld brightens it up, ye've got to start out yellow an' then add just enough red to get the right shade!" The assembled pirates shuffled awkwardly in place, trying not to stare at the poor laborer who looked as if she might burst into tears as her manager continued to scold and berate her. "Don't ye think I knows how to make orange dye, then?! I been mixin' dyes since before ye were back pickin' elderberries from the vines o' Oyster! An' unless ye wants to be sent back there, ye'll do as I say!"

"Aye aye, Miss Elie!" squeaked the frightened laborer.

"Ye'll just have to make this batch into red dye," sighed the shopkeeper impatiently. "Now go finish that order of lime cloth, it's needed by tomorrow!" Crystalclaws scurried away as quickly as she was able, eager both to follow the order and to escape from her employer's fury. Elie turned back to her visitors, her face instantly cheerful and welcoming again. "Arrr, pay no mind to that one, mates," she giggled with a dismissive shrug. "Ye know how it is, hirin' new help, I'm sure!"

"Aye! Of course," spouted Pierut after several seconds of awkward quiet. "Well, it'd be futile, I'm sure, if we tried to learn all that ye know about apothecatin'. Perhaps we might see some o' yer actual cloth?"

"Right this way!" sang Elie, waving her arm dramatically and marching towards a row of wooden equipment. Several spinning wheels sat in a line, surrounded by empty vats stained with various colors of dye. Traces of hemp littered the floor, rustling under the pirates' feet as they walked. Jacquilynne gave Righty a nudge, whispering a sharp admonishment as her crewmate scooped up the plant leavings to stash in his pockets. Obliviously, Pierut gazed around at the well-maintained machinery as her hostess continued in a proud, boisterous tone. "Grand Weft Auto builds and maintains its own equipment! A true weaver knows every inch of the clothmaking process! Isn't that right, Miss Crystalclaws?"

The aproned worker looked up with a start at hearing her name, jerking her hand away from the wheel she was nervously operating. A tangle of fibrous hemp tore its way out as her fingers withdrew, fraying and shredding to pieces as the wheel spun around, the half-finished product wrapping itself tightly about the spindle. Pierut winced, grimacing as she glanced from the horrified laborer to her employer.

"Ye lunkheaded scurvy lout!" roared the flustered shopkeeper, "Look what ye've done now!"

"B-but! I didn't--ye made me--"

"Don't ye know anything?! Didn't ye bother to think before goin' to yer post?! Now you've gone and booched the thread!"

"It's only because--"

"I've been a weaver since I bought my first bundle of hemp in the middle o' nowhere on the distant shores of Papaya! And in all my years, I've never had such a bothersome, incompetent dunce in my employ!"

Crystalclaws' lip trembled as she fought back sobs, sniffling through her nose. "M-miss Elie, I just--"

"Be gone with ye! You are released from duty! Out! Out!" Elie curled her lip into a snarl, hissing through clenched teeth, and thrust her finger towards the door. Crystalclaws breathed deeply, choking back her cries as she slowly turned and started walking, wringing her hands around the hem of her apron.

"Be reasonable, miss Elie," scoffed Pierut, shaking her head in disbelief. "It really did seem like an accident... I'm awful impressed by yer establishment. We all are, ain't we, Vector?"

The stunned sailors quickly began to nod, hurriedly aiding their captain's defense of the hapless laborer. "Aye!" piped up Righty with a hesitant smile. "I thought miss Crystalclaws there were doin' marvelous work! Up until the accident, ye know." Hermes gave a quiet growl, punching his overly-talkative comrade in the back. Righty flinched, sputtering, "Arrr, I mean--the accident were marvelous too!" Hermes punched him again.

"I'd love to see some o' yer finer cloth, actually," Pierut quickly put in.

"I'd be delighted to show ye!" cheered Elie, her face pleasant and warm, as if nothing had happened in the last few minutes. "Crystalclaws! Fetch me a bolt of the maroon, won't ye?" Crystalclaws stopped dead in her tracks, halfway to the door, her head turning to look at Elie in utter confusion. She opened her mouth as if to respond, but said nothing, staring at the woman who had just demanded her exit, her face wavering between relief and worry. "Well? Are ye anchored in place? Don't keep our customers waitin', lass!" giggled Elie, a friendly sparkle in her patient eyes. Moving slowly and cautiously, the aproned woman headed for a large shelf which occupied nearly an entire wall of the weavery. The pirates looked up at the massive rows that were formed by the tall wooden shelves, as if just noticing them. Six levels in all were stacked nearly to the ceiling, each one lined with weaving materials, dye ingredients, cloth in various stages of completion, and a scattering of paperwork. Pierut widened her eyes slightly, studying it all as Crystalclaws dragged a wobbly ladder towards the wall, clambering up towards a shelf full of cloth.

"The maroon, ye said, miss Elie?" called the apprentice, confirming what had been asked of her.

"Aye, the maroon!" smiled Elie, nodding in triumph. She turned to look to Pierut and her crew, folding her arms proudly. "A perfect color for ye to merchant across these isles. Or... arrr, even better! Crystalclaws, fetch me the aqua!"

Dumbfounded, Crystalclaws stared in disbelief from her precarious position on the ladder, her hands already full of maroon cloth. "But--!"

"Can't ye do anything?!" shrieked Elie, shaking a fist threateningly at her employee. "Bring down the aqua straight away!" The young woman on the ladder fumbled with her load, doing her best to lift it back up onto the high shelf without falling to the ground. "Aye, the aqua, that'll be perfect for ye brave sea-goin' folk!" smiled Elie, carefree and jovial. Jacquilynne took a small step behind her captain, her face starting to look scared. Elie turned towards the shelves again, and screamed, her voice rasping and starting to give out. "Crystalclaws!"

With a hurried lunge, Crystalclaws reached for a large bolt of the light blue fabric, her sudden shift toppling the ladder to the side. She yelped like a frightened puppy, instinctively grabbing a hand for the shelves to stop her fall, swinging over and hanging above the ground as the ladder continued its descent, landing with a jarring bang. Righty and Jacquilynne sprang into action, dashing towards the shelves and taking up position underneath the dangling employee. "It's all right, lass! We've got ye!" Terrified as she was to let go, the shelves made Crystalclaws' decision for her, giving way with a splintering crack. In a hail of cloth, plants, stones, and papers, the entire contents of the shelves collapsed to the floor in a clutter. Righty and Jacquilynne caught the falling woman with an "Oof," falling over themselves in a sore pile. Pierut breathed a sigh of relief, seeing her crew get shakily to their feet, alive and uninjured.

Elie, rushing towards the mess, was less relieved. "I'll kill ye! Ye've ruined everything!" She seized Crystalclaws by the shoulders, shaking her violently and bellowing in her face. "Ye've destroyed my entire arrangement! How will I manage this shoppe now?"

"It were an accident, miss Elie, please--!"

"I let ye live when ye put our prices at five instead o' fifty, ye miserable tart, but this be the end! I'll make a dye from yer blood, I will!"

Pierut gripped the shopkeeper's arm rather firmly, pulling her orange sleeve away from the cowering Crystalclaws. "Enough o' that talk, lass. So there's a bit of a mess; it'll be a simple matter to sort it out."

"Ye don't understand!" moaned Elie, tearing at her hair in anguish and falling to her knees. She sadly reached down, pawing at the jumbled items on the floor. "Everything has to be in just the right place, or I'll never be able to find anything again!"

"So, we'll fix yer shelves an' put it all back," shrugged Hermes. "Simple as that!"

"Simple, nothin'!" cried Elie, burying her face in her hands. "I can't remember where it all goes! If I knew that, it wouldn't have to be in a specific order, would it? If those plants an' rocks get set out of order, I'll have me blunderin' employees mixin' the dyes wrong, the jumbled papers will booch our prices, an' if those cloth colors are put in a way different than I had 'em, it'll be a disaster!"

"What's such a disaster about that?" wondered Jacquilynne.

"I won't like the way it looks!" wailed Elie.

"That'd be somethin' tragical, aye," Jacquilynne smirked.

"A lifetime of work, ruined!" sobbed Elie, mourning over the pile of cloth and plants. "I weaved for everybody from kings to Cleaver, an' now I've got nothin' but rags!"

"Kings to who?!" coughed Righty, eyes wide, hurrying to the shopkeeper's side.

Pierut, too, moved swiftly to help Elie to her feet, taking great effort to stay calm, keeping her wits about her at the sound of such incredible news. "Ye've encountered Cleaver? The legendary brigand himself?"

"Aye, an' what does it matter now?" moaned the manager, wiping her eyes with the back of a hand. "Even the proof o' that, I'll never find in all this tangle."

"Proof??" gasped Jacquilynne excitedly. "Ye have proof?" She looked to Pierut expectantly, grinning with an eager hope.

"Miss Elie, ye've got to let us see that proof," insisted Pierut sternly.

"Impossible! It's lost!"

"Vector," grinned the captain, standing and putting her hands confidently on her hips, "Ye're all assigned to tidyin' up. Get to yer duties!"

-----

"No, no. I've already started puttin' the nettle over here, in this pile." Hermes pointed behind his crewmate, directing him towards the indicated stack of thorny plants.

"That's an unfilled order, lass, give it here." Elie took a slip of yellowed paper from Pierut, nodding a small acknowledgement for her help. Crystalclaws pulled at another length of cloth, untying the loose knots and separating the colors into their own piles. "Have we got it all?" called Elie, turning to survey the various item groups that now sat on her floor, inspecting them as she placed her sorted papers into the appropriate piles.

"Aye, we've done it, I think," nodded Pierut, dusting her palms. "Jacquilynne, have ye patched those shelves?"

"They'll hold, cap'n Pierut. I used nails!"

"That's good, isn't it?" Elie wondered, hopefully.

"Aye, nails are brilliant," smiled Pierut. "Now, let's put yer things where they be goin'. Where do we start?"

"I appreciate the help, miss Pierut," smirked Elie, "But as I said to ye, it's hopeless. All I know about where things went is what shelf they went on--I can't remember their order."

"So we'll start by shelf," shrugged Pierut. "Perhaps it'll come back to ye."

"Perhaps," nodded Elie, turning and looking down at the various piles of cloth. "I kept the cloth on the top shelves, definitely. Oh! An' I know I grouped the simpler ones together, an' the rarer, finer ones as well."

"Oi, which ones go together, then?" called Righty, starting to gather up as much white cloth as he could carry.

"The top shelf held red, white, pink, orange, yellow, and grey," replied Elie. She blinked in surprise, putting a finger to her lips. "Arrr, how 'bout that, then? I guess I do remember a bit after all! The others, black, tan, an' all o' those, they went on the second shelf down."

"We're off to a fine start," smiled Pierut, watching her diligent sailors gather the fine cloth into the indicated groups. "What next?"

"Rocks," Elie hummed, tapping the side of her chin thoughtfully. "The tellurium, an' the chalcocite, an' papagoite... all the 'ites. They're third from the top. An' then the plants! Hemp, an' broomflower, an' all me leafy-rooty dye ingredients, they're on the next shelf down."

Crystalclaws started separating the minerals from the colorful plants as Pierut nodded. "Well, I'm guessin' all this paperwork stays separate from the rest o' this stuff."

"Aye, quite right," nodded the increasingly hopeful shopkeeper. "But take care ye don't mix the papers together, they needs to stay in their six seperate sets."

"What sets are those?" called Jacquilynne, peering down at the stacks of paper to see which was which. "I've got one here with a stripey pattern an' a bunch o' numbers."

"Those are our custom designs," beamed Elie. "We takes on jobs for all sorts o' folk wantin' us to weave patterned cloth, or rugs, or tapestries. All our designs stay in one pile!" she reminded the female sailor.

"Miss Elie, I've got the new orders sorted apart from the completed orders!" squeaked Crystalclaws, nervously, waving two handfuls of paper.

"Good, good. Keep those seperate as well, lass," nodded Elie. "Now, ye'll find some papers with numbered lists o' all our cloth, an' also some lists o' names. Those'll be our records fer inventory, an' payroll, respectively. Take care to keep those apart, too."

"Oi, which sort o' list is this?" marvelled Hermes, staring quizzically at another sheet of paper. "Five roast lamb an' ten barrels o' swill," he read aloud, blinking repeatedly.

"Hermes, don't ye know anything?" snorted Righty. "That's how ye make brown dye."

Elie shook her head, rolling her eyes. "That be our lunch, ye oaf. We works through mealtime rather often, so I has our food delivered from ye tavern. We keep records of our lunch orders so's they don't try to cheat us on the bill."

"I was wonderin' what dye ye'd make with nine chickens an' twenty hardtack," giggled Pierut. "So the rest goes on the very bottom, then?"

"Aye," replied Elie, walking towards the remaining piles to inspect them herself. "I think this be the rest of it--wood, fer fixin' the looms... spare spinnin' wheels... grog, fer the workers... rum fer their boss..." Elie grinned, looking around and awaiting laughter. She coughed, continuing as she received none. "Finally, we've got some rope here, fer bundlin' up ye cloth, an' these vats are obviously fer the dyes."

"We could've guessed what the rest was for, too, ye know," smirked Hermes.

Elie sniffed, folding her arms. "Well, I don't expect a crew o' sailors to know all there is about weavin'."

"Well, I would expect a weaver to know somethin' about order!" countered Hermes, winking at Crystalclaws, who was fighting to restrain a giggle behind her employer's back. "Come on, then. Where's all this lot go?"

"I told ye, I can't remember all o' that!" spat Elie, grumbling frustratedly. "Used to be, I could just look up at me big orderly square o' weaverin' wares an' be able to spot whatever it was I needed. I'd just know what things were close to the others." She pointed to the cloth that Righty was sorting through. "Fer example, I'd look at that orange cloth, an' know that red was to the right."

"Arrr, there ye go!" cheered Pierut. "Mr. Righty, put the red next to the orange."

"Oh, it weren't necessarily directly next to it," Elie warned, shaking her head. "Just to its right."

"Oh, I see. Mr. Righty, keep it to the right, but put somethin' in between 'em."

"There weren't necessarily somethin' between 'em," grumbled Elie, becoming impatient. "It's just on the right, that's all I know. It could be next to it or clear across the shelf, so long as the red is to the right o' the orange."

"Arrrr, that's not so helpful at all," complained Hermes. "Can't ye remember anythin' a little more useful?"

"It's difficult to picture it all, in such a mess!" the shopkeeper sighed, putting her hands on her hips. "It all used to be in such a neat an' tidy arrangement. Six perfect rows sittin' in six perfect columns!" She paused a moment, and slapped a hand to her forehead. "O' course! They were so perfectly arranged, I also remember some things went directly above or below the others. Like, fer example, I kept the orange cloth above the navy cloth."

"We'll sort it out yet," said Jacquilynne, hurrying to move the navy cloth over to where Righty was.

"Can ye remember where the rest o' these go, then, in relation to the rest?" asked Pierut helpfully.

Elie stood in thought, rubbing her fingers back and forth over her lips. She took a deep breath, and closed her eyes. "There be only one way to jog me memory. Crystalclaws!" Turning around, Elie pointed a finger dramatically at her apprentice. "Fetch me... the accordion!"

Pierut and her crew looked at one another, exchanging looks of worry and morbid curiosity. Crystalclaws retrieved a small instrument from behind a loom, and carefully arranged her fingers upon it, looking to Elie. The weaver nodded once, and took a deep breath as the music started to play...

Look from the Navy, up above
You'll spot the Orange that I love
Red's right of Orange all the time
And to the Navy's left is Lime
From Lime, the Sincosite's below
Should I dye or should I sew?

There's cloth of White, White, White
From threads of Red, it's on the right
To right of White there's cloth of Pink
We sell more of it than you'd think
And while the White has Black below

From Inventory, Vats are down
Go right from there, find Wheels so round
To find some Wood, keep heading right
Navy's above the Leushite
Right of the Madder, Hemp does go

You'll find the orders now Complete
Are left of what we want to Eat
Speaking of Lunch, it's only fair
Our Rum's directly down from there
Grog under Weld's the status quo

Right of Tellurium, you'll see
Papagoite was meant to be
Speaking of Papagoite
It's to the right of Chalcocite
Not sure which is closer, though

Our Inventory takes up room
Beneath the Flower of the Broom
Tan Cloth is looking mighty fine
Above is Red, below, Designs
Right of Maroon, let Aqua flow

We keep Tellurium on top
Of our fresh Elderberry crop
Our Aqua Cloth is stitched up tight
It's stashed above the Serandite
New Orders, left of Payroll dough

We're nearly through, I've got a hunch
Stick Inventory right of Lunch
If it's Nettle that you need
From our Lunch Orders, up proceed
And with Pink Cloth left of Yellow

The men and women of Vector stood and stared, wordlessly, at Elie, who had fallen to her knees, thrusting her hands towards the ceiling with her final word. A few dissonant notes played as Crystalclaws collapsed her accordion, walking calmly back to put it away, a perfectly ordinary expression on her face.

"That's the part I remember," shrugged Elie, standing up and dusting herself off. "I hope it's enough for ye."

"What in the seven seas was that?!" blustered Hermes in disbelief.

"Did ye not get it all?" worried Elie. "Crystalclaws, bring back the--"

"No!" shouted Pierut, "We heard it all, we heard it! Lads, let's just... put back the lass' wares, shall we? Quietly an' quickly?" She hurried to gather up an armful of cloth, casting a terrified glance over her shoulder at the smiling shopkeeper.

-----

Elie flung her arms open, nearly in tears as she beamed at the tired sailors. "It's perfect! Everything is just where it belongs! I could kiss ye all, me hearties!"

"No need, miss Elie," smiled Pierut, motioning to a frightened Righty that he could put his sword away. "What would make me very happy, though, is to hear more about the time ye were Cleaver's weaver."

"It's no real secret around these parts, lass," shrugged Elie, settling down onto a small stool. Pierut grabbed up a second conveniently-placed stool and took a seat across from the shopkeeper, focusing her full attention on the story (failing to notice as Jacquilynne fell over in an attempt to sit on a stool which was suddenly no longer there). "None o' us knew who he were, when he strolled on in here, plain as day. He had a thick black beard, a long stride to his walk, and an odd smile. It's hard to describe the way he looked... really sure o' himself, like the cat what ate the canary an' managed to convince ye that ye'd never had a canary to begin with.

"He tells me, mates, that he's assembled the finest crew to ever sail the seas, an' he's in need of a proper flag to sail under. I'm not worried at this point, o' course; I've heard the same from a hundred captains, an' we here at Grand Weft Auto are no strangers to weavin' flags! His coin's good, as well, so straight away I starts to helpin' him get the design he be wantin'. Behold ye!" Elie grinned, reaching into her pocket. She paused a moment, blinking and frowning. "Crystalclaws!" Her assistant gasped, leaping to her feet and darting over towards the sheaf of designs that had just recently been placed back on the shelf, rifling through them frantically. Moments later, the young worker dashed back to Elie's side, passing her a slightly tattered paper and shuffling away quickly. Elie cleared her throat, looking about nonchalantly and tucking the paper into her pocket. "Behold ye!" With a grin and a flourish, she pulled the paper back out of her pocket, waving it in the air. Pierut blinked once, deciding not to ask questions.

"This," continued Elie, "Be that very design, in the scalawag's own terrible quillmanship. The finest flag I never should have sewn! Alas, had I only known it was to fly on the ship of none other than the thread pirate Cleaver!"

"Dread pirate, ye means," corrected Hermes.

"I say he be a thread pirate!" shouted Elie angrily. "Once he had his flag, he stole back the fee, an' fifty rolls o' me finest black thread, sank half the Ganymede Royal Navy, an' didn't even let 'is crew stop at the bank before sailin' off without a trace!"

"Only Cleaver would deceive a weaver an' leave 'er," sighed Crystalclaws.

"Ye promised to stop sayin' that!" bellowed Elie, starting to stand up.

Pierut caught the irritated shopkeeper by the hand, speaking in a calming, soothing tone. "Leave her be, lass, she's not the one who robbed ye. Would it be all right with ye if I had a look at that design?"

"Aye, ye're welcome to study it," sighed Elie, handing over the paper. Hermes, Righty and Jacquilynne huddled around their captain, straining for a look over her shoulder as she studied what could very well be the clue to their fortunes.

Pierut smirked, squinting at the paper as she rotated it in every direction, a look of frustrated confusion carving itself into her lips. "What sort o' design be this? Did cleaver ask fer a flag that kept a tally o' all he'd stolen? This be just a lot o' numbers."

To the crew's disappointment, their captain was right--the paper seemed to be nothing more than a neatly drawn rectangle around an empty patch of paper, lined on two sides by several groupings of scribbled digits.

1 2
1 2 1 2
13 1 3 12 11
321 2131 62545 121
11194431X2821199 111
1215331122211134F121
/--------------------\
1 3 5 1| |
2 4 4 1| |
1 2 6 3| |
1 2 2 2 2 3 1| |
4 6 6| |
2 5 4| |
1 3 5 4 1| |
4 1 1 5| |
1 4 1 1 5 1| |
3 2 1 1 2 4| |
1 6 2| |
1 3 3 3 1| |
6 5 1| |
1 3 3 3 1| |
4 7 4| |
\--------------------/

"Well, it's as I've told ye before, miss Pierut--ye're simply not a weaver!" declared Elie with a shrewd smile.

Pierut narrowed her eyes, growing irritated. "Is weavin' difficult with no arms?"

"Well, I would imagine..." Elie trailed off, shivering slightly as the hidden message reached her. "Arrr. Let me just explain that to ye, then, shall I?"

"Please," smiled Pierut sweetly.

"Well, ye see, lass, we used to have folk plot out their desired patterns for us. But, o' course, not everybody is good an' able at illustratorin'," sniffed Elie, rolling her eyes. "We'd have folk complainin' that they wanted the stripes farther apart, or that their octopus looked like a squid.

"So I devised this method fer plottin' out a pattern, ye see! These numbers happen to be measurements fer the threads we'll need to sew the pattern o' their choice. I'll show ye! Ye see how there be twenty columns an' fifteen rows o' numbers?"

"Aye," nodded Pierut, counting them up herself to be sure.

"Well, in each column an' row, ye'll see there's a series o' numbers."

"Arrr, there be a couple o' letters, too," noted Hermes. "What sort o' thread do ye plot with those?"

"Oh--sorry about that," shrugged Elie, putting a finger to her lips. "I was hurryin' a bit with this one. The 'X' stands fer ten, ye see, an' the 'F' means fifteen. In any case, all o' these correspond to the unbroken regions o' thread it'll take to sew the pattern fer that row or column! Fer example, let's say ye had a row like this:" Elie flipped the paper over, and drew a single row on the back.

1 3 2 1| |

"Well, ye'd need to sew in the areas like so!" smiled Elie, marking the lengths carefully.

1 3 2 1|* *** ** *|

"Arr, that's simple enough," nodded Jacquilynne.

"Aye, it's not so tricky at all," replied Elie. "The thing ye've got to remember, lass, is that each number has got to have at least one length between it of a different color. Ye're lucky this is a design fer a simple black an' white flag; ye've only got to worry about interspersin' the lengths of black with spots o' white. Suppose the row were longer, like this:"

1 3 2 1| |

"It becomes a bit trickier, ye see? Since it's not marked how long the lengths o' the other color are, ye could easily have this, or this..."

1 3 2 1| * *** ** * |

1 3 2 1| * *** ** *|

"But that, me hearties, is why ye've got the columns as well! So once ye know those, ye start seein' where the pattern comes together!"

/---\
2| **|
1| * |
1 1|* *|
\---/

"An' remember, me hearties, that all o' the listed section lengths will appear in that order fer the row or column... left to right, or up to down, ye see?" smiled Elie, handing back the paper.

"I loves drawin'," smiled Hermes. "Let me try it."

-----

"I don't believe it," breathed Pierut, holding the completed pattern at arm's length. "Mr. Hermes, are ye sure of yer work?"

"No, but I likes the way it looks," sniffed Hermes with self-satisfaction.

"It's too amazin'. This can't be a coincidence!" gasped Pierut, her eyes never leaving the small piece of paper. "Lads, make for the Liverfish, we're leavin'."

"Oi, now just a minute!" scoffed Elie, folding her arms. "That's property o'--"

"A thousand pieces o' eight for this design," Pierut cut in, still not looking up from the ink-covered sheet.

"--o' the fine sailors o' Vector, an' ye're always welcome back to Grand Weft Auto!" cheered Elie.

Nightfall came to Ganymede Island slowly and gently. Though the sun had long since bid farewell to the bustling town, torchlight continued to glow from the dozens of buildings--shoppes whose doors remained open for business late into the night, and inns which were barely starting to draw their evening crowds. The flickering fires dotted the landscape like earthly stars, reflecting out over the mildly rolling waters of the Locum Ocean, joined inconspicuously this night by one additional source of illumination. On the deck of the Cirrhotic Liverfish, the tired sailors of Vector sat wearily around a tiny lamp, stifling yawns of fatigue. Pierut, however, was still wide awake, giddily scanning for the hundredth time the sketched pattern she held in her hands. Righty frowned slightly, looking up at his captain with curious impatience, wondering just what had her so transfixed. "Cap'n, can I have a turn lookin' at it next?"

"There's no need fer that, Mr. Righty," giggled Pierut, closing her hand and folding the paper neatly in two. "I'll do ye one better, an' show ye the real thing!"

"The real thing?" gasped Jacquilynne, perking up quickly. "Ye mean..."

"Aye, lass," smiled Pierut, placing her hands triumphantly on her hips. "I've seen this flag before, an' better still, I know where it puts into port. If this be the flag Cleaver's flyin', then we've caught him!"

"What're we waitin' for, then?" whooped Hermes, leaping to his feet and making a dash for the anchor. "Prepare to raise the sails an' come about!"

"Arrr, who d'ye think be the cap'n here?" snickered Pierut, watching her crew leap to their feet. "I haven't even told ye our course yet!"

"Hang yer course," cried Hermes, waving his arm over the bow. "The sea is that way, an' that's where we're goin'!"

"Sail like ye mean it, then," laughed Pierut, pointing forward as the ship started to glide away from the dock. "If I catch ye mutinous scalawags, it's the plank for ye!"

SCORING CRITERIA

Please remember to email your answers to lejerque@san.rr.com with the following subject line:
Team Name - Chapter Two Answers

You may submit them all at once or one at a time. Answers must be emailed by 12pm Wednesday to be scored! DO NOT POST OR DISCUSS PUZZLE ANSWERS IN THE FORUM THREAD!

1. Help Vector re-arrange Elie's shelves! You must list all six shelves from top to bottom, and the items which appear upon them in left-to-right order. No partial credit is available for this puzzle. (5pt)

2. Help Hermes draw Cleaver's flag! (9pt)
SPECIAL SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS FOR PUZZLE #2
This puzzle, for obvious reasons, requires precision and care. Using an email client which inflicts HTML upon your answer may space it improperly! Please submit your answer in plaintext format! If you do not know a way to manage this, I heavily recommend saving this answer into a TXT document and attaching it to your email! I will be able to read it just fine that way. Also, partial credit is available for this puzzle! A perfect submission is worth 9 points. Imperfect answers are worth 9 points minus 1 point for every incorrect grid space--empty ones that should be full, and full ones that should be empty. Missing 9 or more spots, thus, will earn you no points for this puzzle!

MONKEY FUN!!

Please remember to email your MONKEY FUN submissions to lejerque@san.rr.com with the following subject line:
Team Name - Day Two MONKEY FUN

DO NOT POST YOUR SUBMISSIONS TO THE THREAD!

Eep eep! I like designing flags! Don't you? I want to design my own! Don't you? I'm hungry! Aren't you?

Today's assignment is an art project! The subject is ASCII FLAGS! Design your own pirate flag in plaintext format using the standard ASCII character set! For your own flags, you're not restricted to simply full/empty spaces like in the puzzle. You may use letters, puncuation, numbers... whatever makes it look best of all!

Your flag's maximum size is 50 columns by 25 rows. It can be smaller than that, but that's the biggest it can be! Email your flag in plaintext format or attach a TXT file with your flag, as per puzzle #2, to lejerque@san.rr.com and we'll all vote on the very best one! Then we'll imagine all these computer characters flapping elegantly in the digital wind!

See you tomorrow!
----------------------------------------
I have stolen all the fiber from your mind!

Tune ye in to Shanty Raid-io!
http://shantypp.servemp3.com:6328
[Aug 24, 2004 3:49:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeJerque [Link]  Go to top 
TomRackham

Re: The Race for the Ruined Ring: Chapter 2 Reply to this Post

Am I having the DT's, or is Crystalclaws' sorting song to the tune of 'Hush Little Baby'?

Because I got out my own squeezebox and gave it a go, and it fits fairly well.
[Aug 24, 2004 4:26:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kehraus

Aye it is!
Treguard
Breaker of brigands and hearts alike!
[Aug 24, 2004 4:32:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Heh, that's odd, I had The Clash's "Should I stay or should I go" in me head fer that. Maybe it was the last line o' each verse that id it to me....
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Aug 24, 2004 4:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
LeJerque

Tawnee wins! She gets a PRIDE POINT.

It gets her no closer to the win, but it's nice to have.

Still sorting MONKEY FUN... it'll be up soon, I swear...

[Aug 24, 2004 5:12:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeJerque [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

these puzzles are way more fun!!! Not to mention I love the MOnkey Fun homework assignment today! Gatta get to work straight away!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 24, 2004 5:26:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
DrMantis

Today's puzzles were a ton of fun and the story was entertaining, too. Great job :-)
[Aug 24, 2004 5:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LeJerque

Thank you for having fun, as per the instructions.

You win a HAPPY POINT!

[Aug 24, 2004 5:46:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeJerque [Link]  Go to top 
calliecat

I've determined that Elie needs a new way to write down patterns
=^.^=

Calliecat of Red Dawn
[Aug 24, 2004 6:25:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.calliecat.com    thatcalliecat    littlebakaneko [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Vurogj wrote: 
Heh, that's odd, I had The Clash's "Should I stay or should I go" in me head fer that. Maybe it was the last line o' each verse that id it to me....

Aye, I thought so too.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Aug 24, 2004 6:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilstuffin

love the puzzles Reply to this Post

I have to admit out of the 2 puzzles today the first was my favorite...then 2nd one well my mind is trying to function again :P cant wait til tomorrows chapter... LeJerque your just awesome to think this stuff up.
Myrrima
[Aug 24, 2004 7:16:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lilheifer30    lilstuffin1 [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

LeJerque wrote: 
Chapter 2: Thread, Thread Whine

Endless rows of stalls lined both sides of the road, selling everything from swords to ships at prices both paltry and exorbitant.

"There must be a merchant fer every five sailors."

Alpha?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Aug 24, 2004 7:42:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I love you even more for #2. Though I have a huge advantage due to previous gaming experiences. *grins*
[Aug 24, 2004 10:05:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Shuranthae wrote: 
I love you even more for #2. Though I have a huge advantage due to previous gaming experiences. *grins*

Here's to hoping for a 40 X 40 and/or a multi color!

Loving every minute LeJerque
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Aug 24, 2004 10:33:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SplitMV

And I'm gonna be singing this song to me little nephew when I gets to babysit this weekend. Help him become a good little pirate.
Temujin
Midnight
[Aug 24, 2004 10:35:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abiding

Thoroughly enjoyed puzzle #1. Does anyone know of a shareware game of similar nature? A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (my last job) one of my co-workers had one that was similar, but done entirely without words, just pictures, symbols, etc. showing the relationships of the tiles to be put in the grid.
Officer, Swordsman, and Stray Cat of the Unforgiven.

"For he will do as he do do and there's no doin anything about it..."
[Aug 24, 2004 11:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

abiding wrote: 
Thoroughly enjoyed puzzle #1. Does anyone know of a shareware game of similar nature? A long time ago in a galaxy far far away (my last job) one of my co-workers had one that was similar, but done entirely without words, just pictures, symbols, etc. showing the relationships of the tiles to be put in the grid.

I believe the old shareware version you are looking for is called Sherlock, availiable here (along with a few variants)
http://www.kaser.com/

Yahoo Games has a simialr game called Inspector Parker here:
http://games.yahoo.com/games/downloads/ip.html
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Aug 24, 2004 11:16:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abiding

Yer the best Kayk! That's the same game i remember!
Officer, Swordsman, and Stray Cat of the Unforgiven.

"For he will do as he do do and there's no doin anything about it..."
[Aug 24, 2004 11:23:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Aye, I used to play Sherlock a lot. There's also an Arcade Game that's like #2, I have it on computer though I refrained from mentioning it because I thought it might somehow be a hint.
[Aug 24, 2004 12:28:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

HOLY CRAP (3 in the morning) I finally got around to facing Puzzle #2, it werent so bad once ye fess up to what you gatta do, yer an Intimidatin' puzzle maker Mr. Le!

At least the puzzles made me feel smart in all of my dumbfounded fluster.

Thanks again Lejurque! (dont forget 'bout that date *wink wink*)
Liliene on Cerulean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Frostburnx at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM]
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

LeJerque wrote: 
Thank you for having fun, as per the instructions.

You win a HAPPY POINT!

Was that Happy Point for me or MrMantis? We both mentioned having fun up or down from each other. Do we BOTH get Happy Points? :D :D

*Rubs head* My brain feels funny...
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
bigbeltbart

While trying to do both flags my team came upon a horrific predicament - NotePad sucks. To clarify, those working on one flag used Courier font and those working on the other used Arial. Unfortunately .TXT documents are not saved in a specific font, you've got to change the Format option in NotePad for that. I feel like this might be a nightmare as unsuspecting teams look upon their mangled work...

Thankfully WordPad uses Rich Text Format (.RTF) which preserves the font for each document. Will you accept .RTF's, or is there another solution?
Melanthe
[Aug 24, 2004 9:57:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Not that I know the official answer, but I would think that using a fixed-width font like courier rather than a varible width one like arial would be the way to do it.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Aug 24, 2004 10:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

bigbeltbart wrote: 
While trying to do both flags my team came upon a horrific predicament - NotePad sucks. To clarify, those working on one flag used Courier font and those working on the other used Arial. Unfortunately .TXT documents are not saved in a specific font, you've got to change the Format option in NotePad for that. I feel like this might be a nightmare as unsuspecting teams look upon their mangled work...

Thankfully WordPad uses Rich Text Format (.RTF) which preserves the font for each document. Will you accept .RTF's, or is there another solution?

He said to use a .TXT doccument, I used a TXT document and it worked fine, therefor it should work fine fer you too i would think, but he also didnt narrow it down to just TXT doccuments...so..who knows! >.<
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 25, 2004 1:30:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
ElSpoom

To change the font Notepad displays in:

Format -> Font

Also, unless you really really have to, I wouldn't submit in RTF. Get it to plaintext. At least that way it can be compared to the answers he has on file.
- Spoom
[size=10]Captain, Pie Revolution

Diamond: Because I'm lazy.
Katattacksme wrote: 
Crack holds no sway on the human mind like that of YPP.

[Aug 25, 2004 2:47:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://uberm00.net/    SpoomApex    SpoomApex    54460376 [Link]  Go to top 
BuccinMike

I think I have found an inherent problem with attaching text files to emails: some SMTP implementations and/or mail clients will strip single whitespace characters from the front of lines -- even if they are inside an (unencoded) attachment. Something to do with MIME formats and RFC 2046, I suspect.

This could seriously booch some Puzzle 2 and Monkey Fun submissions. Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just my goofy Yahoo email account?
Michelob, Senior Officer of Pirates of the Damned
Just some random drunkard in yon Crimson Tide
[Aug 25, 2004 2:56:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thecrimsontide.org [Link]  Go to top 
bigbeltbart

ElSpoom wrote: 
To change the font Notepad displays in:

Format -> Font

Also, unless you really really have to, I wouldn't submit in RTF. Get it to plaintext. At least that way it can be compared to the answers he has on file.

The problem is how terrible it looks when switching from Arial to a fixed-width font like Courier. Oh well... :(
Melanthe
[Aug 25, 2004 3:07:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

BuccinMike wrote: 
I think I have found an inherent problem with attaching text files to emails: some SMTP implementations and/or mail clients will strip single whitespace characters from the front of lines -- even if they are inside an (unencoded) attachment. Something to do with MIME formats and RFC 2046, I suspect.

This could seriously booch some Puzzle 2 and Monkey Fun submissions. Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just my goofy Yahoo email account?

I just sent a txt attatchment to my sister who uses aol, and it booches every time, so i hope this didnt happen when i sent in my puzzle answers to lejurque! *worries* O.O

eek! Im freaking out O.o
Liliene on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Frostburnx at Aug 25, 2004 3:08:31 AM]
[Aug 25, 2004 3:08:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
LeJerque

This has actually happened a few times so far.

I'm being forgiving on this end, since it seems like an awfully big coincidence that when a single space or two are added to the same exact lines in these entries, everything else lines up 100% correct.

Man, am I getting tired of technology booching my contest.

[Aug 25, 2004 3:08:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeJerque [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

LeJerque wrote: 
This has actually happened a few times so far.

I'm being forgiving on this end, since it seems like an awfully big coincidence that when a single space or two are added to the same exact lines in these entries, everything else lines up 100% correct.

Man, am I getting tired of technology booching my contest.

So what do we do if its booched, will you let us know or should we resend a different way?
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 25, 2004 3:10:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 46   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates