• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2129 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Zakyah

Fair PVP Battles? Reply to this Post

Hoy Mates!

I was out the other night on a sloop with three swabbies and was attacked five times (PVP), four times by various crews who's skills were supposedly "equal" to my own, or at least close enough so that they weren't attacked by the black ship for attacking me. The first crew was a cutter containing seven humans (two greenies), the second a crew of three humans (no greenies), the third a crew of six (no greenies) and the last, an *extremely* experienced and well-known player with three swabbies. Not to whine, however from my perspective none of these battles were truly a fair fight. (Although I did luck up and win 2000 POE from the second crew, thanks Mates!).

Firstly, I'm relatively new to the game (less than three months) and just learning to navigate, I'm still struggling with brigs in sea battle, much less humans. My nav, sword fighting and sea battle rankings are all just able and the crew ranking is sailor. All of the crews that attacked me had much higher crew rankings than I did, and the solo that attacked me is ranked an imperial with multiple ultimates including sword fighting, sea battle and navigation. It was only when a fifth crew of 8 people (not sure about greenies) attacked me that the black ship actually appeared and took over the fight for me.

It's not that I mind losing to these folks at this point - I never have much of anything worth taking for booty anyway - on my best day you'd be very lucky to get 75 POE and a cannon ball but it's extremely frustrating for someone new to the game and trying to learn to be "picked on" by much more experienced players and crews. How does the software determine what's a fair match? Does it take into consideration factors other than the crew rankings and number of people on board?

Happy sailing Mates!

Zak
[Jul 31, 2004 7:27:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MizzUnique

Re: Fair PVP Battles? Reply to this Post

I think its unfortunate that you have been attacked like this especially while you are still trying to get a grip on basic battle nav.

I'm sure another player who has been around longer can explain the ratings to you, I'm still not 100% sure on them.

My tips for when you are engaged in a PVP battle:

1. Do a /vwho <type vessel name>

2. Take a note of who is onboard and click on the crew name that is shown up. If any of the players onboard are officers or SOs send them a /tell asking them to allow you to disengage from the battle.

3. While waiting for a response move away from the other ship using wind/whirlpools to your advantage. DO NOT FIRE ON THEM! (that will mean you are in for a fight).

4. Pray that they are a nice commanding officer and let you go.

Just my two poe...

- Mizz

EDIT: Forgot to answer the original question
EDIT: typo change from /who to /vwho
----------------------------------------
Mizzunique

Sheogorath says: Nemo calls everyone lad or lass though, since he's like a god and we are his children.

Sheogorath says: I can't believe I lost a war to a girl in pink. Next time you won't be so lucky.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by MizzUnique at Jul 31, 2004 8:02:18 AM]
[Jul 31, 2004 8:02:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Mizz1Nique1981 [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

pvp in intrinsically unbalanced, and while the formula in place doesn't ensure anything close to fair fights, there's no formula that can be used to balance it that won't be readily manipulable.

My recommendation would be to just run away. Take sails yourself, crank out three tokens per turn, and run like mad. Ten rounds and you can retreat.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Jul 31, 2004 8:15:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zakyah

Thanks! Reply to this Post

Thanks Mizz & Quiz!

Your suggestions will help me a great deal and are much appreciated - I'm currently more proficient at running than I am fighting, but hopefully that'll change soon. :) Battle-nav is proving to be very frustrating for me as I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

Until I improve significantly I'll just have to learn to be a bit faster when running!

Happy sailing Mates!

Zak
[Jul 31, 2004 12:10:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karzdan

Wow, 5 PvP battles in one night? where are you sailing? I'm lucking if I even see one other human ship. Let alone enough, to where 5 engage me. You might want to change where you sail.
Captain(Ret.) of Solonor's Arrow.
Lord af Imperio.
[Jul 31, 2004 2:02:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://members.cox.net/graugach/ [Link]  Go to top 
drstupid

Also -- and please understand that I'm not trying to play blame-the-victim; I've gotten yelled at for detesting the abuse of might ring inaccuracies a lot more vociferously than you have -- a crew name of "No PvP Please" is really a red rag to a bull. Just saying.
Fronsac wrote: 
homullus wrote: 
story about ungrateful, unappreciative jerkwad

What you're telling me is that smart people are really stupid.

[Jul 31, 2004 2:27:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wendtly

Karzdan wrote: 
Wow, 5 PvP battles in one night? where are you sailing? I'm lucking if I even see one other human ship. Let alone enough, to where 5 engage me. You might want to change where you sail.

Agreed! Only rarely do I ever get attacked. In fact, recently, we've been going hunting ourselves just to get a bit of PvP in. 5 times in one night is just a fluke.
~ Boochie ~
Senior Officer of the Azure Rebellion
Princess of Maritime Law
[Jul 31, 2004 2:33:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

If you've got some friendly mates in your flag, ask for jobbers either to boost your rating or just give the scoundrels a trouncing.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jul 31, 2004 3:16:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
cycarr

pvp battle overload Reply to this Post

I understand yer situation perfectly, and its not very much easier fer an older salt. even tho i've been gamin fer awhile, i didnt do much soloin to gain experience. recently, tryin to get some routes memmed an get a grip on bein solo, was attacked numerous times in succession ( three PVPs after 1 brigand). while attemptin to get the previous lost battle damage under control, was attacked again by, my guess is the same ultimate that got ye, with two greenies an extra bots to boot. needless to say, suffered again much damage due to sluggish sails, another loss. to add insult to injury, recieved a tell from the ultimate victor, expressin HIS disappointment of lack of booty that he had won. now when i practice solo, i carry minimum stock, just enuff to get to next island. PVP is mostly not fair, so dont expect it to be, just enjoy what ye can and lern from yer experience. with obstacles, overcomin them are the real rewards. Keep tryin, ye will master them all, ye got me cheerin fer ye.

Axle, Crew of the Eleventh Hour, Flag of Redemption
Axle, just a pirate

Matthias said:...fame's an illusion, and David Bowie is just another pirate.
[Jul 31, 2004 6:37:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Edit: Bah found what I asked in the original message.

Althoug I am curious about all this "PvP is not fair" I'm reading. Do you say it is unfair for the defenders or the attackers?
[Aug 1, 2004 12:43:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

There are a lot of pvp fights that you can just look at who is in the fight and say, wow, that's a really lopsided fight, and one particular side had better run away because they have no chance at all if it gets to a swordfight. For example, take a 7 on 4 where the 7 have higher rankings than the 4.
[Aug 1, 2004 1:22:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Whitefire wrote: 
Edit: Bah found what I asked in the original message.

Althoug I am curious about all this "PvP is not fair" I'm reading. Do you say it is unfair for the defenders or the attackers?

Cedric always says that it is unfair for the defenders, because they are more likely to be carrying something of value.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 1, 2004 8:35:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Re: pvp battle overload Reply to this Post

cycarr wrote: 
while attemptin to get the previous lost battle damage under control, was attacked again by, my guess is the same ultimate that got ye, with two greenies an extra bots to boot. needless to say, suffered again much damage due to sluggish sails, another loss. to add insult to injury, recieved a tell from the ultimate victor, expressin HIS disappointment of lack of booty that he had won.

I am interested in knowing who this person is and the crew/flag under which they sail.
[Aug 1, 2004 10:02:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ian_Rhodes

cycarr wrote: 
while attemptin to get the previous lost battle damage under control, was attacked again by, my guess is the same ultimate that got ye, with two greenies an extra bots to boot. needless to say, suffered again much damage due to sluggish sails, another loss. to add insult to injury, recieved a tell from the ultimate victor, expressin HIS disappointment of lack of booty that he had won.

ooh goodness that is harsh!
Hypnos Score: 4.
[Aug 1, 2004 6:42:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Spansh

MizzUnique wrote: 
I think its unfortunate that you have been attacked like this especially while you are still trying to get a grip on basic battle nav.

I'm sure another player who has been around longer can explain the ratings to you, I'm still not 100% sure on them.

1. Do a /who <type vessel name>

I could be wrong, but I think this should be /vwho <vessel name>
[Aug 1, 2004 7:31:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ian_Rhodes

Spansh wrote: 
MizzUnique wrote: 

quite right.
Hypnos Score: 4.
[Aug 1, 2004 8:03:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MizzUnique

Spansh wrote: 
MizzUnique wrote: 

Lol my bad, ugh typo, have changed it in my post
Mizzunique

Sheogorath says: Nemo calls everyone lad or lass though, since he's like a god and we are his children.

Sheogorath says: I can't believe I lost a war to a girl in pink. Next time you won't be so lucky.
[Aug 1, 2004 8:24:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Mizz1Nique1981 [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

cycarr wrote: 
to add insult to injury, recieved a tell from the ultimate victor, expressin HIS disappointment of lack of booty that he had won.

That would have been a good time to explain about the <Brigands> flag. Explain that if you had a lot of PoE or goods aboard your ship, you'd have run away and he wouldn't have been able to catch you anyway, and would have won nothing at all. If he claims to understand about brigands already, just tell him that he obviously doesn't, or he wouldn't have been surprised at not getting much booty from a pvp.
[Aug 2, 2004 12:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates