• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 106
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8828 times and has 105 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

Drinking Tournament (August 11, 6PM) - Win an Octo! Reply to this Post

It be that time o the month again, and we have another fine friend up for grabs!! To make things a little different from last time, we'll be using the following options:

Best of 3
1/4/4

Subject to change based on however I'm feeling at the moment :)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Artemis at Jul 27, 2004 4:38:14 AM]
[Jul 27, 2004 4:38:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Re: Drinking Tournament (August 11, 6PM) - Win an Octo! Reply to this Post

I vote it be Bo3 too :)
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Jul 27, 2004 5:52:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

*thwacks*

:D
Crystalclaws of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Jul 27, 2004 5:53:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thursdayscrz

3 rounds? boy, this is gonna be one long tourney!
[Jul 27, 2004 6:25:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

thursdayscrz wrote: 
3 rounds? boy, this is gonna be one long tourney!

Yep, the real challenge will be staying awake until the final rounds. >8)

I'll still be there, of course.

- K
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Jul 27, 2004 7:06:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

You mean not disconnecting :-)

Oh -- a serious problem with multi-round (versus Bo3): No incentive to end the round.

If I'm winning, and I think I can increase my point advantage because I have great board control, I'll delay the end of the round.

That makes the multiple rounds go really long.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jul 27, 2004 7:40:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Oh -- a serious problem with multi-round (versus Bo3): No incentive to end the round.

I'll just threaten to /boot them, that should speed things along :) But yes, it's probably even more likely to be longer than the last one...
[Jul 27, 2004 8:22:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Please be on a weekend? I can't afford to sleep in class again after staying up for something YPP related again. That and I need to buy tons of caffine related products.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Jul 27, 2004 8:34:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Date and time still up in the air, but coming soon. The last was on a weekend, though, so the week isn't completely out of the question. Keep in mind some people work weekends rather than weeks!

Actually I'm rather tempted to do it on a Wed at 9pm (exactly 1/2 a week difference from the last one.)
[Jul 27, 2004 10:56:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Aren't OCL drinking matches held on Wednesday nights?
[Jul 27, 2004 11:22:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

OCL matches are held every night but saturday... You might just have to reschedule ;)
[Jul 27, 2004 11:32:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Me? Drink?

/e looks at his able rating

I was just puting it out there since the most avid and skilled drinkers would likely be busy. Wait, this means I get a chance to win....yay for wednesdays! ;D
[Jul 27, 2004 11:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

I did some testing on the 3/4/4 variant of drinking with Buri.

Expect every round to last between one and three hours. The median time for a game is a bit over half an hour.

Also note that 3 round drinking is incredibly boring. I don't intend to practice for this at all...
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Jul 27, 2004 12:24:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Artemis wrote: 
Actually I'm rather tempted to do it on a Wed at 9pm (exactly 1/2 a week difference from the last one.)

Stay awake the longest, win a parrot

Dorel, what's the secret?
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

Still considering the horror that a large 3/4/4 tournament could produce!
Sure you don't want to do best of three instead? :)
[Jul 27, 2004 6:39:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

It is definitely time to quit my job and just go into Full time, Non stop, Puzzle Pirating.
Gotta get that familiar! ........

Wed. night events, WooT. Call in sick for Thursday, might as well take Friday off too, yeah that is good. A 5 day weekend.

This sounds great.

I might be taking applications for working room mates! Rent is cheap, but I need some to cover what I would normally make if I worked.

If you win the contest to be my roommate so I can play 24/7 ye will get not just one familiar, but 4!!! That is if you can carry 2 cats and 2 dogs on yer shoulders. They are furry, they are cute, they change expressions, some leave ye fur ball presents to step on in the morning. What could be better?

Ok, I will consider entering this event. Why did I feel the need to tell you all this?
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Jul 27, 2004 11:06:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Artemis wrote: 

Stay awake the longest, win a parrot

Dorel, what's the secret?

Lack of a life mostly. That and having no respect for self-preservation or mental stability.

Of course, I don't have a parrot either.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Jul 27, 2004 11:16:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

After entering my own 3/8/12 Bo3 I'm now clawing out my eyes and I'll never to inflict that on anyone again. My deepest apologies.
[Jul 28, 2004 4:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

I agree with Ninjaguy that it should be Best of 3. I mean; I can say that, because I'm more than willing to stay up all night for an Octopus =).

One thing though. It seems that 3/4/4 may have been made to discourage corner opening and/or drinking out. The thing is, in one somewhat large case where people who never corner spot (whether they are "moral" or just don't like going for luck or whatever), corner placing would be pretty damn smart.

IE: Player X is beating Player Z 2355- 2100. It's now the beginning of the 3rd round. Player X gets the first fries. It would be.... stupid.... to NOT place in the corner. Because, if Player Z is the lucky one, and got 10 or 20 points before Player X (in which case would win in a normal game of drinking out), and they both drink out; Player X STILL wins. And, even if Player Z gets that first line from the corner, if there is one peice still standing out (to prevent new fries), there is a high chance that there will be a drink out. And Player X still wins, because that 200 points meant nothing to Player X (So he would actually be adding to that line, even when not in the majority), since he still had more points.

Regardless, I dun care what the settings are that much. As long as it's best of 3 atleast =).
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Jul 28, 2004 4:16:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
uzi

Wow,

I think everything about this game is getting way too complicated (no offence to the player with this name) for me.
Each post turns out be a major discussion of stuff that goes way over my level of short attention span.

I mean I had to rack my brain to figure out what Bo3 meant and then think about 2/4/12 or whatever.

I am an amateur here. If I enter it is just to see if maybe luck will favor me for once. It is not to decide if I should put fries in a certain spot based on the other person's luck.

I think if you have to have the mind of a CPA or a brain surgeon or someone else who has highly functional brain cells to win a familiar or attain to greatness on this game then I will be happy just to say...........
"Team Well, no solos" and get on with pillage life. Maybe one day a familiar will be pillage booty.
Still hanging 10 through life and looking for the endless summmer.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Artemis wrote: 
Actually I'm rather tempted to do it on a Wed at 9pm.

Assuming that be american time, then that time sucks for us europeans.
/me just hates the time differences
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Jul 28, 2004 7:00:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

I don't know.... Just get up early and drink through the day.
I thought it wasn't such a bad time for Europe!
[Jul 28, 2004 8:25:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CallMeSweeny

Best of 3 would take too long. I vote for only one round. If we were to go best of three, it could last the better part of a day.
Longjonslvr
Confused and Drunk

Artemis wrote:
Looks like most people voted for "ur mom."
[Jul 28, 2004 11:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

I retract my vote for Bo3 as well as 3 rounds. Yesterday Artemis held a Bo3, 3 round, rated, 6/8 (I think) drinking tournament. Artemis herself explains it best I think...

Artemis, after getting out in round 4 wrote: 
"clawing my eyes out and I'm out of it... I'll never ever do that again except to punish someone"

And I'll always glance at the specifics of a drinking tournament from now on...
[size=9](Hey look, a kitty!)
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Jul 28, 2004 11:11:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Bo3 2/4/5

I guess it's a little better than 3/4/4. It's still gonna stake a whole lot of time, which again I have no problems with =). Actually, I'm starting to worry more about the date; I'm getting anxious.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Jul 29, 2004 1:58:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dodongo77

sooooo, this is best of 3.....2 rounds per game...with 100+ people...starts Aug 11th @ 6....ends..........Aug 13th?
[Jul 29, 2004 4:49:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Artemis wrote: 

[Jul 29, 2004 4:54:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Artemis wrote: 
Artemis wrote: 

/me hopes Artemis has a moment of feeling like changing it to a "Most Sarcastic" or "Bizzarest Non-Sequitor" contest.
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Jul 29, 2004 5:10:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

Lovely. Starts at 2am.

/me sighs.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Jul 29, 2004 9:49:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

So it switched from 3 rounds (2 non-terminating) to 4 or 6 rounds (2 or 3 non-terminating).

Is that second 5 the colors or the cups?

Still planning to be there. It is a parrot. And I can sta ..yahn .. awake.
Hypnos wrote: 
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates