• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 272
Posts: 272   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 39322 times and has 271 replies Next Thread
Shandra

Hermes Day in the Sun - Escape From the Night Watch!!! [Winners Announced!] Reply to this Post

In the wee early hours of November 17th, poor Hermes stumbled into the Inn on Alpha Island right into my accusing hook. "Hermes!!" I says to him, "You have shown no love for Taco flavored events!" "No nose theivery, no dolls!" In his best attempt at looking innocent and maybe a little sad, Hermes replied, "I wasn't invited." =( Hearts broke all over the inn, it was a sad moment indeed. Mumbles of, "Evil Taco! Not inviting Hermes!" rumbled through the crowd. Before the tar and feathers could be brought against me I informed this shameless creature of the night that no mistake had been made. He had in fact been invited to participate in both! Squinting me eye I asked him, "Have you checked yer PM box?" If pirates could blush, he surely did. Utilizing his best 'Hermes in the headlights' look he muttered something about being busy blah blah blah. Well, I have news fer Hermes!! No more escape! And thanks to a small crowd of witnesses, no more excuses! "I will create a Hermes event!" I proclaimed to the crowd. "He can ignore Taco no longer!" After assuring me he would keep his eyes on his PM box for me, he slunk off into the night and the idea for this event was born...

Create a comic book!
The rules are pretty much going to explain everything you need to know so lets jump right to it.

1. Comic books must be titled - Hermes Day in the Sun - Escape From the Night Watch!!!
2. Hermes of course must be your main character.
3. You may use any method ye like in creating yer artwork. - It can be hand drawn and scanned in, created on yer computer with all them fancy schmancy art programs - the sky is the limit. Everything from simple pencil sketches to full blown colored pictures is acceptable. Entries do NOT need to be actual hard copy - 100% digital is perfectly fine.
4. I'm not going to put a page limit on yer books, but all comics need to have at least 10 cells. (Cells are the pictures.)
5. No full pages of text. We definately want to try to stick with the cells that have speech bubbles and perhaps some small narrative blocks or captions. You can of course make it as illustration intensive as you want, so long as you get your story in there.
6. There isn't a size limit on your pages - just keep in mind when you submit your work the judges will have to be able to read the text and see your pictures clearly. I highly recommend testing the limits of this *before* you start on your actual comic!
7. Your comic book must have a cover! This page of course should be full page art with the title.
8. Topiary is optional.
9. YPP is the setting - any ocean. You may take some liberties with this, however, I don't want to see space stations and fire breathing dragons etc.
10. More stress on Comic - Less stress on Book.
11. All entries must be submitted to the entry thread in the Mariners Muse. More specific guidelines can be found there. Please keep all questions and comments to this thread.
12. Do NOT contact Hermes about this event. Do NOT send him your entries. When it comes time, accept his choice for the winning entry. If he feels like commenting on any of the comics, he will do so.
13. Your entry may be a collaborative effort - I couldn't prove otherwise and don't really want to try, BUT, only the person who posts the entry can win anything.

All entries must be submitted no later than Saturday the 3rd of February. I will attempt to get the submission thread locked but if I don't, any entries posted on the 4th or edited after the deadline will be disqualified!

About the Night Watch. For those of you that might not be familiar with the American terminology and some 'understood' meanings - Night Watch is also referred to as the graveyard shift (middle of the night.) This shift is where all the freaky things happen and the one who works at this time is often said to be somewhat if not completely insane.

Extra notes on the stories -
*Hermes doesn't have to be a good guy. Feel free to villianize him if ye like.
*Your story doesn't have to have a happy ending.
*While some comics set up a story to be continued in the next edition we wont be doing that here. The story does need to have an ending - But feel free to end it any way ye want!

Before you get all upset that art isn't something you are very good at I would like to make sure you know that the stories themselves will weigh more in the judging.

*Judging*
There will be two rounds of judging.
In the first round, each comic will be scored based on its individual merits. 10 comics will move on to the second round.
In the second round, the 10 comics will be judged against each other.

The first round will be done by myself and a panel of judges. We will be selecting 10 comics to move on to the second round. This is what we will be looking for:

The story - Is it complete and does it follow the rules?
The art - I said earlier the art wont weigh as much as the actual story and I meant it. We will be looking for art that shows effort and meshes well with the story. If you run through your story with cheesy effort on the art, you will bomb. But, if your artwork, even though it's not the best, shows effort, it will be fine.

*The story will be worth 30 out of 60 points.
*The art will be worth 20 points. Again, we will be looking at effort more than quality. I know this might upset some of you art guru's but I really want this event to be available to everyone.
*Overall cohesiveness will be worth the remaining 10 points. This is where the judges will determine if your pictures mesh well with your story. What does this mean? If your picture shows Hermes engaged in a sword fight but the text has him picking his outfit for the next day - not so good. But, if the text has some Avast! or *poke*poke*jab* - very good.

The second round of judging will be done by Hermes himself. I will send him the top 10 scoring entries and he will put them in order of his preference.

Due to the general make-up of this event, it is very possible for some entries with artwork that is what you might consider "Less than awesome" or even "Less than what your 6 year old dog is capable of" to move on to round 2 and even win. Again, keep in mind, this is NOT about the awesome quality of art that can be produced.

How long will judging take? That will depend largely on the amount of entries. I would like to put a definate time frame on this, but that would be unfair to the judges and the participants. Best I can say is we will work as quickly as possible while still giving each entry the attention it deserves.

Prizes prizes prizes!!
The 10 comics that move to the second round of judging all receive a Hermes doll trinket to hug and squeeze. Oh yes, 10 Hermes dolls will be prized out!

2nd, 3rd, and 4th place will also get a pretty flower trinket - type to be determined!

1st place: Blue/White Parrot Familiar!!

Disclaimer: In case of very low participation in this event, I do reserve the right to withdraw or reduce the familiar prize. Artemis is my prize sponsor so I would have to discuss this with her.
----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hermes at Feb 14, 2007 6:56:44 PM]
[Dec 31, 2006 3:43:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Re: Hermes Day in the Sun - Escape From the Night Watch!!! Reply to this Post

** Entry Thread **

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=902164#902164
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 31, 2006 3:50:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Bleh, I knew I would forget something....

Hermes YPPedia Info!
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 31, 2006 4:14:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Do we have to do a comic story based on your story? can we add extra part to it?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 31, 2006 5:12:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Looking at the first post, these seem to be the only real limitations we have as to plot and setting:

1. Comic books must be titled - Hermes Day in the Sun - Escape From the Night Watch!!!
2. Hermes of course must be your main character.
9. YPP is the setting - any ocean. You may take some liberties with this, however, I don't want to see space stations and fire breathing dragons etc.

It has to have the title, it has to have Hermes as the main character, and it has to be set in YPP. Presumably yer story will have something to do with the title... particularly that Night Watch bit. Otherwise, it looks like you have a pretty free hand with how you plot things. ^^

Aside - Oooh, gooey funness! Time to dust off my hand puppets.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Dec 31, 2006 5:32:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

8. Topiary is optional.

Topiary? Does "topiary" mean something different in comic bookland?
Teh Eighth
[Dec 31, 2006 7:26:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shikyo

8. Topiary is optional.

Topiary? Does "topiary" mean something different in comic bookland?

Poking at Hermes' YPPedia page nets a reference to topiary: How he intends to continue this streak at the next party is still up in the air, but sources close to Hermes have been heard to comment that it may involve creative usage of topiary.

In short, he wants to dress like a scrub shrub.
Cassis, Sage
Evil Mastermind

A quick wit's best accompanied by quick reflexes.
Save Scrappeh!
[Dec 31, 2006 7:34:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Some people have facier program to colour their entry. Will people who got advance program have much more chance of winning than those who hand drawn and hand colouring?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 31, 2006 7:36:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Sharkiez, your first concern should be a good story line. Drawing is secondary to that.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Dec 31, 2006 7:40:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shikyo

Some people have facier program to colour their entry. Will people who got advance program have much more chance of winning than those who hand drawn and hand colouring?

Taco, in the original bloody post up above, wrote: 
The art - I said earlier the art wont weigh as much as the actual story and I meant it. We will be looking for art that shows effort and meshes well with the story. If you run through your story with cheesy effort on the art, you will bomb. But, if your artwork, even though it's not the best, shows effort, it will be fine.

Emphasis mine. Maybe you should read the rules carefully before asking questions?
Cassis, Sage
Evil Mastermind

A quick wit's best accompanied by quick reflexes.
Save Scrappeh!
[Dec 31, 2006 7:41:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

8. Topiary is optional.

Topiary? pic Does "topiary" mean something different in comic bookland?

Poking at Hermes' YPPedia page nets a reference to topiary: How he intends to continue this streak at the next party is still up in the air, but sources close to Hermes have been heard to comment that it may involve creative usage of topiary.

In short, he wants to dress like a scrub shrub.

Thanks, I should have read Taco's follow up posts. I suppose they're there for a reason.

/e slaps herself on the hand with a ruler for not paying more attention.
Teh Eighth
[Dec 31, 2006 7:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Seriously, now I am REALLY confuse..... If it is judging drawing secondary and worry about story line primary.... How are we gonna improve on the story if we have to stick to the story Shandra gave us? We can't alter it like adding a sea dragon. lol\

If Shandra mean that if our Art make perfect match with the story she gave us, hmmmm then my confusion is gone.
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 31, 2006 7:48:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

You are given a title, a subject and the setting-the entire rest of the story is up to you. She wrote a little story explaining how she got the event to take place. Do not worry about that story. That's HER story, now write your own.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Dec 31, 2006 7:54:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Worry not Sharkiez - my story was the 'lead in' and almost accurate telling of how this event came to be. Make yer own story!

Its not so much that art is judged secondary but more that your art doesnt have to be high quality to score well. The story itself will weigh more in the judging.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 31, 2006 8:01:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

So the story can be anything as long as it is about hermes?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 31, 2006 8:12:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Does the cover count as the judging?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 31, 2006 8:14:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

So the story can be anything as long as it is about hermes?

Well, yes, but I would generally expect to see the comics going with the set title. And yes, the title can be interpreted in a couple different ways. No, there isnt a wrong way to interpret it.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 31, 2006 8:16:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Does the cover count as the judging?

The cover being part of yer comic will be included in the judging process but there isnt a specific set of points for it.

The reason I have yall posting your covers is mainly to make it easier for the judges (including me) to reference yer stories.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 31, 2006 8:20:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Taco what ocean are you on? I want to talk to you online about my story to see if it is right. If i say it here I am afraid that people would steal my idea....
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Dec 31, 2006 8:28:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Either send me a PM or find me on Midnight in about an hour (Im Taco)
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 31, 2006 8:31:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Oh Taco - you are so fun! This should be an interesting contest.
I will certainly try on this one but I think it may take me awhile to come up with a story line.

I admit - I didn't even know there was an OM named Hermes until five minutes ago when I stumbled on this event - I will now go and study the YPP so that I won't be caught in ignorance again :P (of course I wasn't familiar with ANY of the OM names before your last contest - so I think these are great!)

Although I am not certain my story will hold up against those who have been around long enough to know the personality behind the blue name or the inside jokes, I certainly will enjoy trying.

Thanks in advance for the fun I plan on having with this.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jan 1, 2007 2:30:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Although I am not certain my story will hold up against those who have been around long enough to know the personality behind the blue name or the inside jokes, I certainly will enjoy trying.

Consider that an advantage! I had never spoken to Hermes before that morning I caught him in the Inn... Anyway, as one of the judges, I dont know any of the inside jokes or even his personality so someone trying to use them to their advantage would leave those of us that dont know him in the dark - and thats apparently not a good place to be ;)
Taco - teh one and only

[Jan 1, 2007 3:51:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

A little care and attention to your post topics goes a long way. Reply to this Post

Anyway, as one of the judges, I dont know any of the inside jokes or even his personality so someone trying to use them to their advantage would leave those of us that dont know him in the dark - and thats apparently not a good place to be ;)

Ha! I got you there: I don't even *have* a personality.

Well, I did once, but I went on vacation for a few days and forgot to water it, and well... you know.

I admit - I didn't even know there was an OM named Hermes until five minutes ago when I stumbled on this event

There is no shame in this.

Since I work the graveyard shift, not knowing who I am simply shows that you a) maintain a normal, healthy sleep schedule and b) have not done anything so heinous in-game as to force me to transcend the laws of space and timezones to reach out and slap you mercilessly with a large bass.

Not that I actually do much bass-slapping. It's really just the lack of sunlight talking.

Can someone slip me some Vitamin D tablets? Please?
[Jan 1, 2007 4:31:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Re: A little care and attention to your post topics goes a long way. Reply to this Post

I think this would be a bit better than vitamin D tabs

Sunshine in a bottle

The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jan 1, 2007 4:44:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kinocha

Re: A little care and attention to your post topics goes a long way. Reply to this Post

Since I work the graveyard shift, not knowing who I am simply shows that you a) maintain a normal, healthy sleep schedule and b) have not done anything so heinous in-game as to force me to transcend the laws of space and timezones to reach out and slap you mercilessly with a large bass.

Not that I actually do much bass-slapping. It's really just the lack of sunlight talking.

Can someone slip me some Vitamin D tablets? Please?

Hei, I disagree. You are one of the OM's I see the most in my /who's. And I think I got a somewhat normal sleep shedule, I just happen to live on another continent.
Kinocha, Senior Officer of White Rose under the flag Blood and Roses on Midnight Ocean

Avatar by the amazing Koalarocker
[Jan 1, 2007 5:06:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thebuddy229

in my comic your currently in a deathmatch with apollo and i cant figure out how to end it :P

ill be posting my entry today hofully :D
dudedude
officer of a crew he cant spell
member of riddle makers
event runner person

[Jan 1, 2007 6:23:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

in my comic your currently in a deathmatch with apollo and i cant figure out how to end it :P

ill be posting my entry today hofully :D

Finished already? You know you have a month to work on it, and with the edit feature still unavailable I don't think I would post too soon.

Thanks to those who responded to my post either here or via pm - I feel a little more confident now. I think I shall stay up late a few times until "Hermes Day in the Sun - Escape from the Night Watch" begins to take on new meanings because Taco said it could be taken several ways and my well-rested mind can only see one at the moment - no fear it will happen sooner or later :D
Hehehehe
Pletoo of Sage
[Jan 1, 2007 6:50:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Hehehehehe I just noticed the post title was changed AND who did it - someone DOES need to get more sleep.
Pletoo of Sage
[Jan 1, 2007 6:52:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thebuddy229

auctuly i have a day...

my scanner dosnt work so i can only do it if i get it done while on vacation

anyone know a good image hosting site besides imageshack?
i think a comic is to big a picture for it to work there
dudedude
officer of a crew he cant spell
member of riddle makers
event runner person

[Jan 1, 2007 7:52:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kewene

anyone know a good image hosting site besides imageshack?
i think a comic is to big a picture for it to work there

www.photobucket.com
Photobucket is good too, but why don't you scan each cell and upload the images many different times? Then post the link to each cell...
At least that is what I would have done, scanning each cell and then posting all the links. Is that all right Shandra? =)
Guiido on Jade, Keweney on Sage and Viridian!
[Jan 1, 2007 8:01:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/index [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 272   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates