• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1700 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
deathprog23

Rum Punch! | Winter Tavern | Thursday | 2004.03.25 | 3pm PST Reply to this Post

What: Rum Punch (aka: drunken brawl).
Where: Meet at Ye Imperial Pint on Winter Solstice, using tables around Diamond.
Date: Thurday 25th March.
Time: 3pm PST (11pm GMT).
For whom: Any bloodthirsty pirates out there!
By whom: Oneiropoios and Rubyspoon.
Fee: Free entry.
Prizes: 20k split between top 4 (see below).

Waayyy back on Azure me an' Ruby hosted a similar drunken brawl event, with the intention of hosting them regularly. Well, we're back, and now that we have the brawl game implemented, we want to try and get that involved.

The original was pretty fun for all involved, the idea being that at each round you can strategically pick who to try and eliminate to increase your chances later in the game.

Format: first off, we fill as many drinking tables as evenly as possible, with 4-6 players (random seating).

The top three from each table then have an (unrated please!) uneven brawl. The winner and second place from the drinking fight against the 3rd place (who, though not as drunk as the losers from the drinking table, is still pretty tipsy :)). First man out eliminated. An organiser needs to make up the odd side and drop out straight away.

This format repeats until we reach a final table of 4 pirates who will split the prize money!
After one last 2v1 brawl, the last pirates standin' have a drink-out for all to watch and cheer on!

Split down to the last drinking table, 4th gets 1k, 3rd (loser of last brawl) gets 2k, 2nd gets 5k, and the winner takes 12k.
----------------------------------------
"I wanna be like the ocean, no talkin' an' all action." Jane's Addiction, Ocean Size
[Mar 18, 2004 10:55:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.last.fm/user/deathprog23/ [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Secret bonus for drinking hooks when we're watching! Reply to this Post

*bump*
Just to point out, this event is going ahead as planned this very day!

Registration opens at 2:45pm PST (10:45pm GMT); simply send a tell to Oneiropoios to register, or send one to Rubyspoon if ye find his name too hard to spell! ;)
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Mar 24, 2004 11:28:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Nobody noticed that clue then? Oh well... Reply to this Post

Arr! The event proved highly enjoyable, although sadly none of the 3rd place drinkers succeded in eliminating one of their more sober competitors at the brawl stage... the format shall continue to be tweaked, as it was still a lot of fun, and that's the main thing!

After four rounds of drinking and brawling the field was narrowed down to just four pirates; Cioj, Chumbleton, Jesse and Dorien.

Chumbleton succumbed to drink; Jesse to swords (armed with only a stick, brave lass!); Cioj and Dorien were then surprised to find themselves in the final drink off with 'show moves' disabled! (Heh heh!)

Both competitors showed their metal... er, mettle by drinking a hook apiece, and thusly each received the secret bonus from a duly impressed Oneiropoios. Dorien led for most of the game, and ultimately triumphed despite almost collapsing in a drunken stupor towards the end. Arr!

Final scores:
Cioj: 1735
Dorien: 2045

Well played mates... see ye at the next one!
[Mar 27, 2004 1:03:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Re: Rum Punch! | Winter Tavern | Thursday | 2004.03.25 | 3pm PST Reply to this Post

Aye, it was a very fun concept...too bad I got drunk out of the first round =P.
Hermit Smurrf
[Mar 27, 2004 1:32:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Re: Rum Punch! | Winter Tavern | Thursday | 2004.03.25 | 3pm PST Reply to this Post

I think the event went great! It's a shame I got drunk out by a mere 10 points in the second round. I would have showed you how a lone mate could take on two and win :P
I'm looknig forward for my next chance!
[Mar 27, 2004 3:39:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

xephin wrote: 
I think the event went great! It's a shame I got drunk out by a mere 10 points in the second round. I would have showed you how a lone mate could take on two and win :P
I'm looknig forward for my next chance!

Yea, I was so sure I had misplayed that round of drinking, figuing I'd need two rows plus stain to catch up. I was suprised that the stain gave me 3rd, and then, well, I cant combo well enough to knock anyone out. But oddly, I did defeat the guy on the pollywog.

Hmm... you want a format tweak to increase the likelyhood that a 1st or 2nd will get knocked out? Ok. How about letting either the 1st or 2nd place person join the 3rd place?
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Mar 27, 2004 5:01:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

It's two different puzzles...it's more a matter of being teamed up on than anything else. Maybe should go to tables of eight...top five advance to the brawl section, top four? two? from the brawl go to the next round.
Hermit Smurrf
[Mar 27, 2004 5:34:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

There are many conflicting requirements for tuning this event - the hardest part is putting in the brawl stage in a manner that is both fair yet affords advantage to strategic players.

In the original, the top two from the drink would then fight each other one-on-one (best-of-three), and only the winner went through. This meant (hopefully) that everyone would be trying to prevent the top swordfighters from succeeding at the drinking stage, thus affording the event a balance between skill at drinking and skill at swordfighting.

When you make it a brawl instead... it becomes a lot harder. If you had the top four (or thereabouts, as Smurrf suggested) go through, you have to have overly full drinking tables (7-8 becomes a little too luck-based), and worse, if you try to outdrink the best two swordfighters, you might end up putting them together in the team that consists of 3rd and 4th at drinking, which would be disasterous!

I don't understand LongJohnGrey's suggestion, as it would seem to give a big disadvantage to 1st/2nd depending on which you chose, and an advantage to 3rd, which isn't what you want...

The final difficulty is that it mustn't be too complicated! We could arrange all kinds of complicated double-elimination round-robin brawls to make it work, but this would end up obscuring the strategy and would make it hard for people to get a feel for how much chance they stand and when it 'really' counts for them to win.

The most promising idea at the moment is to take the top two from each table and assign them to opposite sides in a single huge brawl (perhaps best-of-three), with each team consisting of equal numbers of 1st- and 2nd-placers. This should hopefully balance the brawl, while still making it to everyone's advantage to drink swordfighters under the table, to avoid them getting onto the team you are about to fight against!
[Mar 27, 2004 8:52:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates