• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9289 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
junbug178

Crew Logos Reply to this Post

There should a way to upload your crew logo, the logo can be turn on or off to pirate prefernce, for people to have on their gear. ie hats and jackets. This way everyone can represent their crew. Logo can also appear on the Crew Web Page. Captains and Senior Officers can vote on what thier Logo should be. I would like to find out if this could be possible and also how many people think it's a good idea.
[Oct 10, 2003 12:39:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    junbug178    junbug178 [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

Re: Crew Logos Reply to this Post

not going to happen

however an upcoming thing that will come is Flag logos, these will be in-game, and not custom.
----------------------------------------
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Oct 10, 2003 12:52:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

meiadm wrote: 
...however an upcoming thing that will come is Flag logos, these will be in-game, and not custom.

Correct, but just an extra emphasis:
As Frizzan said, they won't be custom in the sense of "I made it myself from scratch." But they will be very "customizable."
[Oct 10, 2003 1:07:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

well I can't tell them everything... then it won't be as big a surprise...

oh, I know you and Bluebeard told me about this over a month ago, but still ;)
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Oct 10, 2003 1:10:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
junbug178

Will they in any way appear on the clothing or hats? Just curious.
[Oct 10, 2003 1:23:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    junbug178    junbug178 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

junbug178 wrote: 
Will they in any way appear on the clothing or hats? Just curious.

Something like that would be really nice, but just isn't feasable with any level of customization. Say there are five flag patterns with five possible insignias (this is nowhere near the actual numbers, just easy math). That's very little customization, but even to have it only go on captain's jackets would mean (even assuming you would only see it in half the orientations) 1440 more art files.
You will still be able to have your flag image on various pirate (and crew, and flag, and shoppe, and...) information pages, and I think (well down The List) we might be able to make an in-scene banner without adding to the art data.

-Nemo
[Oct 10, 2003 1:37:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
junbug178

Thanks for the info. :-)
[Oct 10, 2003 1:41:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    junbug178    junbug178 [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

RE: Crew and Flag Colors/Logo/Banner/Flag (thread raised from the dead)

Three years ago, before I was actively playing YPP and posting in the forum, I've read somewhere about Nemo mentioning something about having flags or banners in the game.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=31986#31986

Now, I know that quite possibly they abandoned the concept due to a lot of work (programming & art) involved in Nemo's original idea to have it "customizable" (pick n choose colors, patterns, and images) but not from scratch.

Nemo wrote: 
... they won't be custom in the sense of "I made it myself from scratch." But they will be very "customizable."

Nemo wrote: 
...You will still be able to have your flag image on various pirate (and crew, and flag, and shoppe, and...) information pages, and I think (well down The List) we might be able to make an in-scene banner without adding to the art data.

-Nemo

I really like the idea of having my own colors/banner/flag for my crew. I especially would love it if I "can make it from scratch". Not to mention the new source of POE for Artists (commissioned to do flags & banners). They could just tell us the size restriction and we could just upload our flag/banner image files online, in-game, in YPPedia, or something - just like a portrait or portrait background (files hosted/saved in the server where portraits are saved; different folder). Bandwidth use would be minimal if image sizes are kept to a minimum.

This will save the programmers and graphics designers from making an entirely new tool to "customize" pre-made images, patterns, styles & colors. Albeit there is still programming involved in a "banner" upload button (and image queries) - it would not be as intensive as making a new banner commissioning interface.

Sure, there will be image size, file size, and image restrictions regarding rules associated with copyrights. The images can just be checked (or even self policed by other players for offensive or unoriginal works) and those that don't comply can be removed.

Nemo wrote: 
...crew, and flag, and shoppe, and...

I think that in the crew & flag info pages it adds aesthetics & psychological effect. For a shop it adds some political aspect to the game (what flag the shop flies, whether you want to patronize that flag & shop). But I think the best use would be in battles, too often I seen new crews get into battle not even realizing that they are in PvP until they are already boarded. Flying your colors (flag & Crew Banner) not only identifies your ship, it also adds a strong psychological effect. Brigands, barbarians, and maybe Navy ships don't need flags or banners.

There should be two image sizes; a small icon-like one for the battle screen above and a normal one for the info pages below:

Crew: Anak Bathala's Banner/Colors as posted in YPPedia:

Flag: Latin Revolution's Flag as posted in YPPedia:

I hope this helps this feature to be picked up again by the devs. I really want to start my "Flag for Poe" store. LOL!
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Aug 15, 2006 1:34:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

Mind the bump.

And holy cow, why hasn't this been implemented in 3 years? Me wants!

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Aug 15, 2006 1:54:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Mind the bump.

And holy cow, why hasn't this been implemented in 3 years? Me wants!

LOL! Thanks! Yeah... I think everyone would wants! ^_^

That's why I started a new flag/banner making store:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=44546

...images for use in YPPedia crew/flag info of course!
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Aug 15, 2006 2:30:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

Yeah, the personalized jpeg sort of thing just means tons of crews with pictures of people's kittens and horribly drawn paint images.

The currently planned method of pick n' swap with many combinations seems far better.

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Aug 15, 2006 2:46:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dolem

I don't know if we are allowed to talk about it, but I think the art is there, at least to some extent.
[Aug 15, 2006 3:03:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

Yeah, the personalized jpeg sort of thing just means tons of crews with pictures of people's kittens and horribly drawn paint images.The currently planned method of pick n' swap with many combinations seems far better.

I don't know if we are allowed to talk about it, but I think the art is there, at least to some extent.

I realize that. And I know what it takes to implement it (I am a software dev, game dev, web dev, net admin, and graphics designer), it takes a lot of work. But 3 years in the making? :P

I guess I shouldn't complain, I haven't even finished one of my hobby games (although I finished others, just not mine).
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Aug 15, 2006 3:47:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

I remember when I first found out about the flag art I started working on a bunch of ideas, certain that the feature would be implemented soon.

/e laughs.

I was so naive.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Aug 15, 2006 4:48:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Feegle

...But 3 years in the making? :P...

Dude. Perhaps you haven't been taunted with the promise of Adventure Islands before? They've been talking about those since before I joined the game... at Easter, 2004.
- Feegs

Senior Officer of the Ransack Marauders, Midnight Ocean
Disciple of Artemis
[Aug 15, 2006 5:16:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://feegle.mathninja.com    jeffmahood    FeeglePoet [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

...But 3 years in the making? :P...

Dude. Perhaps you haven't been taunted with the promise of Adventure Islands before? They've been talking about those since before I joined the game... at Easter, 2004.

LOL! Yes, I've been taunted by lots of things they promised. Believe me, even though I just began actively posting here and contributing lately, I've been around since the later part of the Beta (though I haven't registered in the forum and wiki until late, I have been lurking and reading it from time to time for a few years now. I've had several game accounts purged before this one.)

I just remembered about this promised feature (which I really liked) and thought this was feasable. Besides, this was just a prelude so I can also post this: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=44546

;P shhh...
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Aug 15, 2006 6:50:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smilidom

First of all, its been a year since no one post here, don't know why, but... who cares ( not me )

Second i would love to be able to design a banner for my crew for free, like Nemo previously wrote, that we would be able to choose color padron etc.

Third we could use shanghais to use banners on our crew page on the crew info.

Fourth, we could be able to put our crew/flag banner in furniture, like flag tapestry or trinkets like ribbon, i would love it.

Hope ye guys hear and like my ideas!!
Smilidom on Hunter.

Nothing important so far...
[Jun 23, 2007 1:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

One thing I would love to see, though I'm fairly certain its been given a big 'no' by the developers...

Is the ability to create them ourselves, from scratch, and give the game a 'url' to find it at.. That seems t'be the tech behind the portraits, so I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to retrofit it to us being able t'set it ourselves.

That being said, I acknowledge that 'not terribly difficult' is a phrase that makes Programmers *HURL* things at you.
http://www.maghtuireadh.org/
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Manannan%27s_Seawolves

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
--------------------------------------------
"It's the damn of a new era!" - Pyn
[Jul 15, 2007 11:40:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

The reason you can't have 100% custom anything is because the day it's released, some newb is going to spoil it for everyone by making Tubgirl and Goatse Man into his crew and flag banners. People will tart about that one newb and probably complainspam the new feature right out of the client. And yes, 90% of the others would be LOLcats and badly done MSPaint Jolly Rogers.

The graphics for the Flag Generator are in your RSRC files, or at least they're in mine.
Try looking in C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-general\media\yohoho\flags
This thread was started when the game was still in Beta. They probably had so much stuff to do to make the important parts of the game run that extras like making your own flag got delayed, pushed aside, or cancelled outright.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jul 15, 2007 12:44:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

The reason you can't have 100% custom anything is because the day it's released, some newb is going to spoil it for everyone by making Tubgirl and Goatse Man into his crew and flag banners.

Then we need the equivalent of a blackspot t'fix it.

People will tart about that one newb and probably complainspam the new feature right out of the client. And yes, 90% of the others would be LOLcats and badly done MSPaint Jolly Rogers.

Which is ridiculous, and yet I acknowledge the truth of it. Then again, I'm cool with that. Each to each as their own ability allows. The point is, it would allow those of us with the ability to do so to make truly unique Flag Icons with the imagery we'd want involved.

On the other hand, have you seen true period Pirate Flags? Most of those were no better than the badly done MSPaint Jolly Rogers. ;)

The graphics for the Flag Generator are in your RSRC files, or at least they're in mine.
Try looking in C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\rsrc\bundles\media\yohoho-general\media\yohoho\flags
This thread was started when the game was still in Beta.

This I'm aware of, but thank you anyway. :)
http://www.maghtuireadh.org/
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Manannan%27s_Seawolves

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
--------------------------------------------
"It's the damn of a new era!" - Pyn
[Jul 15, 2007 8:05:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
SAFjord

This thread was started when the game was still in Beta. They probably had so much stuff to do to make the important parts of the game run that extras like making your own flag got delayed, pushed aside, or cancelled outright.

Dear OOO,

Please implement the existing art into a crew/flag banner feature.

Much lub,
Fjord
The Fjord Difference®
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SAFjord at Jul 16, 2007 10:52:54 AM]
[Jul 15, 2007 8:41:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Westdakota

People will tart about that one newb and probably complainspam the new feature right out of the client. And yes, 90% of the others would be LOLcats and badly done MSPaint Jolly Rogers.

I can think of few better ways to know who to job with/join than to glance and see whether the flag is a badly made mspaint jolly roger or not.
[Jul 15, 2007 11:30:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

The reason you can't have 100% custom anything is because the day it's released, some newb is going to spoil it for everyone by making Tubgirl and Goatse Man into his crew and flag banners.

Then we need the equivalent of a blackspot t'fix it.

Problem is, one cannot unsee goatse. (And if you don't know what goatse is...you probably want to keep on not knowing.) Given the stupid things that people do in this game--e.g. greenie "credit card" captains dockpressing--goatse is only a matter of time.

I could see this as something that could work if images had to be pre-approved with an application fee of N dubs/M PoE/X shanghais--and that's if the developers really wanted to bother with that. If you really must have a logo, you can always make a crew webpage an list the URL to that in your crew statement.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by abacadafa at Jul 16, 2007 2:23:57 PM]
[Jul 16, 2007 4:35:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

if they created a logo they would make it limited to what they supplied.. such as a variaty to colours, backgrounds, images and any other little thing i cant think of.

this is the best way to keep out all those nastys and badley drawn images.
though it would create problems even wars over who has what image and colour set up.
Nunny
[Jul 16, 2007 4:41:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

I believe there was a plan in the past, which may or may not still be implemented eventually, to supply a fixed set of flag icons from which to choose for a crew/flag "logo."
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jul 16, 2007 10:30:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

A way to avoid the goatse/tubgirl and copyright problem would be to have custom flags cost shanghais and require OM approval. In theory, it would take as much time for an OM to inspect a .jpg to ensure its tastefulness as it takes to do a ship rename.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jul 16, 2007 12:41:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pyphracket

I would like crew flags so that we can use them to see who owns what island, beyond just a list in the blockades. Having flags that hung from shops, etc. that would change with support would be really cool! (you could see at a glance while walking around how much support a flag actually has on the island.

(maybe allow revolts/rumbles if your flag doesn't have enough support? Make a bunch of pirate bots stand at the entrance to the palace /government building with pitchforks and rumble equipment.)
[May 28, 2008 8:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Pyphracket wrote: 
you could see at a glance while walking around how much support a flag actually has on the island.

And non-supporters could be evicted somehow if revolts below are allowed?

Pyphracket wrote: 
(maybe allow revolts/rumbles if your flag doesn't have enough support?

Alt abuse seems possible; mass migration to trigger revolts definitely would be doable.

Faulkston,
minding bump
[May 28, 2008 6:12:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Valfreyja

I'm reposting this from an individual post-- even though I'm talking about Flag Flags, not Crew Flags-- as Faulkston felt this would be a better place for this.

What if flags had flags? There's a strong unity that comes from being members of a flag-- it's the glue that binds crews together, you know. Currently, we have information pages and flag halls that are accessible to demonstrate a flag's community/prestige/etc., but there's a lack of both crew and flag personalization on the high seas.

What I propose is this: that each flag is able to make a ship flag that represents them.

But, Valfreyja, what if flags make their ship flag explicit or ugly or overwhelmingly gross?
Well, I'm glad you brought that up! Flags will have the option of using two or three different colors and a method of applying symbols similar to that of portrait facial expressions. When a flag is made, the monarch can choose to go through a set series of colors and symbols (such as a skull head, a saber, etc.) and create a combination that he or she likes as a representation.
This allows a creative freedom for flags while still maintaining reasonable control for Three Rings over what is and isn't acceptable.

But, Valfreyja, where would the flags go? You can't even see the top of the mast on the ship!
Goodness, you're asking all the right questions! This would involve a bit of tweaking, but not a lot: the Bardic sloop has a celtic flag that hangs from the bow. Why not place the flag's flag there? This gives a personalization to every ship as dictated by who owns it (for instance, as I am part of the flag The End, all of my ships would automatically have The End's ship flag on the bow. Were I to change flags (heaven forbid!), all ships whose deeds are owned by me would also change bow flags).

But, Valfreyja, no one can see the flag if they're not on the ship!
Indeed, that is true. You know how, when you approach another ship on the seas, their name and alliances pop up? Their flag imagery could very easily pop up, as well.

To be clear, I do -not- think that the animations for the ships on the seas should change-- if I understand these things correctly, that would be a pain in the patootie to animate and would use far more memory/room/programmerspeak to really be effective. That's why I think a small image next to the vessel's name would be effective: it's short, it's sweet, and it's smooth.

The reason for adding this cool little extra is two-fold: first, as previously mentioned, it'd be nice to have a touch of unity for flags when sailing the high seas. Second, it also adds a touch of realism: ships would be able to determine, to an extent, who was on a ship coming at them by the flag flown. Wouldn't it be neat if we could do the same, by the same method?
Valfreyja of Emerald/Valfreyja of Obsidian
Senior Officer of The BootLeggers/Senior Officer of The Southsea Bandits
Princess of the flag The End/Member of the flag Consider it Sunk
[Apr 18, 2012 12:21:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Flag logos for flags were mentioned by Nemo's posts in this thread.

Nemo's proposal at the time he made it for the level of customization of flag graphics matches Valfreyja's approach.
[Apr 18, 2012 7:52:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates