• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2062 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
dorge5463

Cutters whats wrong with them?

Ive heard alot about how useless cutters are, but I think it is incredibly wrong. I took one out the other day for my first time and I don't see what the big fuss with it is! I had alot of fun, and success on it. Is there something I'm missing. Because everybody laughs when I offer to buy a cutter. (and its not because I offered like 5k poe or anything, it was the same as in stalls.) Heres what Ive heard so far about the cutter which I think is wrong.

1. Too dangerouse, a WB can attack you at any time! My reaction: Great! I love fighting WBs! I do it all the time with sloops, but my crew gets mad at me beacuse it takes long and its a waste of cbs...because some of the time we get 3k tops! Its great on a cutter because then you get reasonable payouts.

2. Waste of time because sloops can attack you. My response: Hey, if I have 10-12 people on board, I haven't found a brigand sloop that has engaged yet, with only it's 7 people maximum.

3. Ok, so brigand sloops might not attack, but what about PVP? My responce: Yummy I love adding another statistic to my crew's PVP page. and hey, they must be pretty cocky attacking a pvp cutter, so they probably have some good booty aboard!

4. It takes uses too many commods because of the extra people: My responce: More people = better payouts.

I also like it because it is easier to bnav because of my trigger-happyness and I get double the shots than a sloop.

Anybody agree? Share your cutter good/bad expirences! I may start a fleet of them!
----------------------------------------
Land on Sage ocean
[Jul 23, 2006 4:33:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dartraider

Re: Cutters whats wrong with them?

Cutters are very OK when you take out your crew pillaging. But just to give some bad examples of cutters:

1) Cutters get attacked by Warbrigs, Cutters get attacked by Warbrigs and Cutters get attacked by Warbrigs. You liek fighting WarBrigs with small boats? Ok that's cool. But they take overdose of small cannonballs to kill, ovedose of rum before they run totally our of moves, are risky and the pay out is 9 of the 10 times much worse then the imp cutters cruising around. It's just less lucrative. In my opinion, much less.
2) Cutters have only 2 carpentry stations, and take much more time to fix then sloops. You'll get that damage soon enough when 2 medium cannonballs can hit you each turn.
3) "Cutter" have the letter u in it. I don't like that letter. Especially because its also in "Opiumdealer" and "Underwear".

No seriously. Cutters are for crew pillages. If you fill them with "high end" people you will end up fighting War Brigs who give you mehish booty.

But that's just my opinion.
Cris- Captain of Leviathans Requiem on Sage.

Goblin Wacking is fun, lack of variation isn't.
[Jul 23, 2006 4:43:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peter_Blood

If you can fill a cutter with 12 people, you can get enough to operate a WB, some of the better paying WB runs I've been on only averaged 16 people. Get 4 or so more people, and load up a WB, those make even more money.
Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
[Jul 23, 2006 5:58:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

If you can fill a cutter with 12 people, you can get enough to operate a WB, some of the better paying WB runs I've been on only averaged 16 people. Get 4 or so more people, and load up a WB, those make even more money.

I run 'em with 10, I know peple that run them with 8. And win!
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jul 23, 2006 6:23:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Alec1000

Cutters are very efecient,me crew used to have a cutter,but wanna what happened to it?
it sank =( Got stuck in crossfire at a blockade
Cutter remind me of galleons,they can be efficient war ships boats or good merchant vessels,kinda like galleons
[Jul 23, 2006 6:33:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cooldragon23

Cutters are very OK when you take out your crew pillaging. But just to give some bad examples of cutters:

1) Cutters get attacked by Warbrigs, Cutters get attacked by Warbrigs and Cutters get attacked by Warbrigs. You liek fighting WarBrigs with small boats? Ok that's cool. But they take overdose of small cannonballs to kill, ovedose of rum before they run totally our of moves, are risky and the pay out is 9 of the 10 times much worse then the imp cutters cruising around. It's just less lucrative. In my opinion, much less.
2) Cutters have only 3 carpentry stations, and 2 bilging stations, and take much more time to fix then sloops. You'll get that damage soon enough when 2 medium cannonballs can hit you each turn.
3) "Cutter" have the letter u in it. I don't like that letter. Especially because its also in "Opiumdealer" and "Underwear".

No seriously. Cutters are for crew pillages. If you fill them with "high end" people you will end up fighting War Brigs who give you mehish booty.

But that's just my opinion.

Fixed. Go check again. My crew always pillages on a cutter, which turn out to be very fun pillages, so I would know...
Cooldragon on Sage Ocean

Arora says, "would sume1 please give me poez to help my sister and I buy an estate?

[Jul 23, 2006 7:52:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Some people prefer to PvP in cutters. They're a bit tougher than sloops, so they last longer if you're PvPing a frig.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jul 23, 2006 7:55:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

I pretty much have to agree with Rome and Peter. If you have enough to operate a cutter, you're probably better off taking out a War Brig. Uses larger shot and ya get 2 shots a turn. Just makes more sense to capitalize on how much damage you'll be able to dish out. Only use for cutters I've found, is the same one I find for merch brigs and berch galleons, which is moving commods.
[Jul 23, 2006 8:01:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Annoying preteen Alec1000 wrote: 
Cutters are very efecient,me crew used to have a cutter,but wanna what happened to it?
it sank =( Got stuck in crossfire at a blockade
Cutter remind me of galleons,they can be efficient war ships boats or good merchant vessels,kinda like galleons

My word, Alec! For the love of all that is piratey, STOP POSTING!

Your post makes no sense.

Cutters are great merchant ships. A medium-skilled pair of pirates can move decent amounts of commodities in them, and an expert can solo them. Sloops don't hold enough wood and hemp. Cutters fill the need for low-crewed merchant runs. They are also decent-enough for a smaller crew to run recruiting pillages, since they are larger and thus attract more greenie jobbers than a sloop, yet they can be effectively manned by 5-6 mid-level players.

Galleons are not sailed, except by a few brave souls with large helpful crews. They are great storage ships, but haven't got the firepower to withstand attacks by war ships making even merchant sails on them rather painful.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squashbuckle at Jul 23, 2006 8:33:26 PM]
[Jul 23, 2006 8:32:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dewdlebug

Cutters are good for charging 1.5k-2k per person, taking them into a blockade board, get sunk and hope that someone on board gets an injury. (=
You know what they say about having sex with asians? You scupper them and you'll be horny again after an hour...
[Jul 23, 2006 8:40:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Oh, when it comes to merchanting, you can run an MB alone and it runs wonderful with 2 people. So I don't even like it for that. Although I admit that does take a bit of skill.
Rome
[Jul 23, 2006 8:46:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
sarabellek8

Yeah it does. But I've solo'd both a cutter and a MB, and the MB was easier to handle... the cutter just got damage too quickly and took too long to get back down to really keep me happy. With the extra couple of swabbies from solo'ing a MB, the damage and bilged never showed up, especially after I got it up to full speed.
Eminent on Midnight
Midnight Serenade
[Jul 23, 2006 8:57:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mwf1985 [Link]  Go to top 
smurfsahoy

What? Soloing is way better on cutters!

The other day I sailed a cutter almost over 15 leagues in 25 minutes without touching a single one of the puzzles myself. 3 swabbies only (I was bringing back 2 ships at once to be refilled with more goods and didnt feel like puzzling)

They are not in any way difficult to handle. If I actually puzzle as well, it can get to full speed in a league and a half, can outrun any engagement except for a determined pvp, and it's fixable enough that I can keep the bilge down alone when damage is as high as 2/5.

You can't do any of that with a brig. You only get one extra swabbie, who you need to keep as a second man on carp almost 100% of the time anyway. And the bilge swabbie is no longer able to drain by himself, only hold steady, so that takes up the rest of the fourth man's time. Thus, basically, you just have the status quo from a cutter, except that sailing is that much more difficult, since you dont have any extra men on it, and the ship is bigger. And if you pick up more than 2 or 3 hits sustained at any time, you're screwed.

Sure, if you have just one more human around, its probably worth it, and it holds 2 1/3 times as much as a cutter, but its much riskier, especially if you have a gold or something that youd like to bring along at the same time as your bulk stuff.

Doubloons have cost exactly the same price for years. 42 dubs for $10.

Oh, what's that? You want it to be easier to play the game FOR FREE? Sorry, kiddo. No sympathy.

[Jul 23, 2006 10:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

A bright future ("A New Hope"):
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=14155

Brigand brigs attack them, making them "useless" for pillaging:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=25370
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=37264
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=39827

Maybe you can win a blockade with them?
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=19326

General ship design discussion:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=14542

Faulkston,
linkies
[Jul 23, 2006 10:28:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

What? Soloing is way better on cutters!

The other day I sailed a cutter almost over 15 leagues in 25 minutes without touching a single one of the puzzles myself. 3 swabbies only (I was bringing back 2 ships at once to be refilled with more goods and didnt feel like puzzling)

They are not in any way difficult to handle. If I actually puzzle as well, it can get to full speed in a league and a half, can outrun any engagement except for a determined pvp, and it's fixable enough that I can keep the bilge down alone when damage is as high as 2/5.

You can't do any of that with a brig.

Yes, I can. I know several other people that can too.

My full speed is a bit slower, true, but all that extra hemp I can carry in my MB more than makes up for it.
Rome
[Jul 25, 2006 12:46:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
brazzy

1. Too dangerouse, a WB can attack you at any time! My reaction: Great! I love fighting WBs! I do it all the time with sloops, but my crew gets mad at me beacuse it takes long and its a waste of cbs...because some of the time we get 3k tops! Its great on a cutter because then you get reasonable payouts.

This is really the main point, and you're basically AGREEING that this makes cutters suck, even if you don't realize it.

Fighting WBs, even if you're good enough at banv to win, takes far more time, CBs and rum than fighting sloops or cutters, and you get really sucky payouts, often less than what you'd get when fighting cutters.

It's simply far less effective if your goal is to get as much booty as possible.

2. Waste of time because sloops can attack you. My response: Hey, if I have 10-12 people on board, I haven't found a brigand sloop that has engaged yet, with only it's 7 people maximum.

You're correct here, brigands will NEVER spawn (and thus attack) with a smaller ship than your own.

3. Ok, so brigand sloops might not attack, but what about PVP? My responce: Yummy I love adding another statistic to my crew's PVP page. and hey, they must be pretty cocky attacking a pvp cutter, so they probably have some good booty aboard!

Um... what's the point here?

4. It takes uses too many commods because of the extra people: My responce: More people = better payouts.

Except your payouts are NOT better when fighting brigs, they're actually WORSE, especially when you factor in the time it takes to win.

I also like it because it is easier to bnav because of my trigger-happyness and I get double the shots than a sloop.

Get yourself a Legendary or Ultimate gunner, and you can shoot as much as you want on a sloop as well.
--
http://www.brazzy.de
[Jul 25, 2006 2:39:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.brazzy.de/ [Link]  Go to top 
pirateboy121

Personally I like sloops and cutters best, I've taken down many brigs, it's a pain in the butt, but it's possible. I've only sailed a war brig once, all the other times I've stuck with cutters and sloops, and let me tell you there is nothing wrong with cutters or mine either.
Agile, killing the clueless greeters one at a time.
[Jul 25, 2006 7:11:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rimmington [Link]  Go to top 
Grayside

Aside from the brigs, the Damage Control on Cutters is so shocky that if you get hit with some bad luck it sticks to you for a good while.

Whether its a merch run or a pillage, I find recovering from one bad 5 minute period can make things a living hell until I port. This is hardly the case for everyone that takes it out, just almost every hearty in my list.

Sometimes it seems like everyone has different kinds of luck on each kind of ship. My cutter luck is bad. I've known a few people that did great on them. But invariably you go back to the less booty issue.
Firestone, Captain, Mad Tea Party, Cobalt
Gallant, PotD, Midnight

[Jul 25, 2006 9:30:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grayside.org/ypp/mayhem    Tires.Pirate [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates