• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 262
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 78896 times and has 261 replies Next Thread
micklauer

Re: The Pillaging Picasso - win an octopus (or two!)

Now I shall have the pleasure of watching KP's face turn purple to match his turban as I prance around with my doll!! Muahahahaha!!!

please don't ever do that...I wish I was kidding...

don't do it...really...
----------------------------------------
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jun 7, 2006 6:40:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

/e prances around evilly with her Apollo doll
Aw! There-there.
/e pat pats KP.
Nothin' but love and respect for you turdboy! Love and respect mon'!
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Jun 7, 2006 6:45:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
phenylfairy

Yay, thanks so much Apollo!

Huge congratulations to all the winners, too! (Yay Ruby!! What colour are you going to choose?! What are you going to call it?!? :O)
Lethe: The Sea Hares, Day of the Tentacle (Viridian); Far Too Jolly Rogers, Looterati (Midnight)
MalkierKing wrote: 
ur mom iz a loot haha lolz!11onetwothreetesting

[Jun 7, 2006 6:51:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
evermind

*claims her flower* Congrats to the winners, and great job everyone else! /me huggles you all.
[Art Commissions - Closed][DeviantArt]
[Jun 7, 2006 7:21:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    skyscape6 [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Congrats to all!

And a word of warning!

Never, EVER, EVER!!! beg for something you're not CERTAIN you're gonna win.../me watches Apollo doll slip away and blows my brains out!
*that's ok...the flower will look pretty on the casket*

Great work all!

/me pats
Atleast you got to try? I begged first and then it turned out I didn't even have time to try for it :P
I'm going to have to start dressing up my Phi doll in Apollo clothes soon :P

And congrats y'all :D
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Jun 7, 2006 7:35:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

No honorable mentions for the photoshopped category? Are we not artistic enough?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jun 7, 2006 7:38:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

No honorable mentions for the photoshopped category? Are we not artistic enough?

I don't know for sure, but it could be a result of the judging. Perhaps in the photoshop category everyone the judges mentioned liking actually placed, therefor there would be no need for a "judges honorable mentions" section like there was in the "Created" category.
Just a guess though.
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Jun 7, 2006 7:51:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Ishbash

congrats to all,
Pffff.....
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ishbash at Jun 7, 2006 12:32:03 PM]
[Jun 7, 2006 8:45:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Congratulations to all of the winners! Also thanks to Apollo for such a fun event. I had a great time doing my pictures and looked at a lot of famous artwork that I may not have seen otherwise.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Jun 7, 2006 9:00:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
reymartin

Yarr. Much congratulations to the winners. I knew I shouldn't had entered. :P My entry was actually the worse...However, it was a fun thing, so Thanks Apollo! -huggles-

~Kas
Ksmfg./Kas./Adrastus.

[Ice]Kas,
Captain and Alchemist of the crew 'Kas's Dolls',
King of the flag 'Because we can'.

[Midnight]Crewless.
[Cobalt]Cabin Person of the crew 'Yarrr! Pirates',
Member of the flag 'Limelight'.

[Viridian]Senior
[Jun 7, 2006 10:06:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
evermind

congrats to all,
stupid unlucky year.... meh spent bloody ages on mine like i did with other events..i just give up, outclassed by older people again... :(

my life sucks, bye all...

Aww, don't say that! Everyone put a lot of effort into their entries. These things will just help our technique improve, at least we have more art events, eh? =)

-Sky
[Art Commissions - Closed][DeviantArt]
[Jun 7, 2006 10:33:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    skyscape6 [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Congrats to the winners and my sincerest condolences to those who didn't get the place they desired. I know what it's like to not do well in these contests (no, really - go look up the old ones.) And it's always heartbreaking because of the time spent crafting an entry. I daresay a swordfighter doesn't spend so many hours on a swordfight. I've always dreamed of winning a familiar for an art contest. So I know how you feel.

Nemo gave me some advice when I was a young, generally unknown pirate, still in art school (though I doubt that he remembers.) He told me, "If you're not the best, get better. Then try again." It seemed like codswallop at the time, but I came to realize that it's what these sort of contests, as well as the art world in general, require of us.

Many people have asked me about my Last Supper entry, asking me to explain some things - so I've decided to do so here. The first is the easiest - Cleaver likes pie a lot. Just ask him. Secondly the Octopus, Olivia, the eyepatches, and the hooks are all indeed on the wrong side of the body as I was parodying DaVinci's use of a camera obscura. Artemis is posing as John because she is, of course, Cleaver's most beloved (or, you know... most senior OM, close enough.) Also, if you hadn't noticed, she is grouped with the other older OM's in their original garb (I meant nothing by making Poseidon Judas, I swear. Don't smite me). To the left of them are the newer OM's. To the right of Cleaver are the code-monkeys, Jack, Peghead, and Roparzh. Then to the right of them are the Arrrtists: Bluebeard, Blackhat, and Nemo. Nemo is playing the role of Simon, who is the go-to-guy or the one that that people come to with questions, as he is in the forums (or at least, he's the artists that everyone blames or praises) And yes, the white bit at the bottom in on purpose. Sometime after DaVinci painted his, some architect decided to put a door through it. Kind of funny. I hope someone puts a door through one of my paintings one day.

Here are some sketch and process images, if anyone is interested.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
comparison
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Jun 7, 2006 11:01:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
pike106

Congratulations Rubyspoon !
Congratulations Raggedrobin !
Congratulations to all of the winners !
Congratulations to all of the entrants !

Many many thanks to Apollo for such a great event!

I had a great time doing my pictures and loved all the entries, I hope we see a lot of this art events every month because obviously everybody love them.

Pike.
Pike from Sage
Read my bedtime story:

Little Captain Pete
[Jun 7, 2006 11:12:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

*grins* Kitt guessed correctly. I asked judges to mention entries that they particularly liked. The honorable mentions in the Created category are the judges' choices. In the Photoshopped category, all the choices were placed as runners-up.

Mates, I know it's disappointing to put hours of effort into something and feel that you didn't get the reward you deserved. I want to assure you that every entry was appreciated - there wasn't a single one that didn't bring pleasure to us, and most of them clearly took a lot of time, imagination and effort. I've had lots of comments about the high quality of the work here.

I hope that once the initial disappointment is over, the fun of creating the entries and trying something different will return, so that you'll all be ready to try again next time I come up with a daft contest for you to work on!
[Jun 7, 2006 11:32:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
akaSnowpea

Re: The Pillaging Picasso - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Hearty Congratulations to all!! Not just the winners, but all who had the fun of participating!!

I would have loved to win something ... anything, but this was my first entry in a forum event ... I had fun and I'm pleased with my stuff, so I can't complain one bit! I also can see improvements I could have made ... if I knew how to execute them ... LOL.

Thank you, Apollo, for hosting an event that was both fun to participate in and that created respect for the many talents of our fellow pirates!

Snowpea

Hightop & Snowpea
Forever Betrothed

[Jun 7, 2006 12:41:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xaquri42

Wow. Runner-up. I'm flabberghasted. Honored. Humbled by the fantastic competition. To think that I walk away with a prize from the first arrrt contest I've entered... well, I can't seem to get this smile off my face!

Shout-outs to Apollo for the opportunity, the judges for theconsideration, and all the entrants for forcing me to tweak some of the weak spots in order to try to keep up.

Montanio
I could be wrong...
[Jun 7, 2006 12:50:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruined_ashes

*bounces* thanks apollo!
I sometimes do avatars!
Book on Obsidian
Bookly on Emerald
[Jun 7, 2006 12:58:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wonderlander

Many people have asked me about my Last Supper entry, asking me to explain some things - so I've decided to do so here. The first is the easiest - Cleaver likes pie a lot. Just ask him. Secondly the Octopus, Olivia, the eyepatches, and the hooks are all indeed on the wrong side of the body as I was parodying DaVinci's use of a camera obscura. Artemis is posing as John because she is, of course, Cleaver's most beloved (or, you know... most senior OM, close enough.) Also, if you hadn't noticed, she is grouped with the other older OM's in their original garb (I meant nothing by making Poseidon Judas, I swear. Don't smite me). To the left of them are the newer OM's. To the right of Cleaver are the code-monkeys, Jack, Peghead, and Roparzh. Then to the right of them are the Arrrtists: Bluebeard, Blackhat, and Nemo. Nemo is playing the role of Simon, who is the go-to-guy or the one that that people come to with questions, as he is in the forums (or at least, he's the artists that everyone blames or praises) And yes, the white bit at the bottom in on purpose. Sometime after DaVinci painted his, some architect decided to put a door through it. Kind of funny. I hope someone puts a door through one of my paintings one day.

Wow.
I think ye should win some sort o' award for having the most elaborately thought-out entry. Seriously, that be an impressive bit o' conceptualization! ...An' the execution was none too shabby either...

I bow to yer artistic mastery, mate!
Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
[Jun 7, 2006 12:59:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

*brushes himself off*

Hey everyone! Seriously...after the initial weight of the contest results settled in, I went back and did some real soul searching (yeah, in the last couple hours since I saw the results)...

My conclusion: I'm honored to be in the company of such great competition...I mean, it wouldn't be any fun if there was noone setting a fire under your arse, right?

While I'm bummed I didn't place, I know that next round I will have to do better (or something a little different)...in either case, I won't beat around the bush -- Great Job everyone, it was fun!

Really...challenging...fun!

:P

Pollo, these art contests rock! Keep them coming! Please!

Fair winds and may your brushes be steady!

~KP
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jun 7, 2006 1:59:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wonderlander

...I mean, it wouldn't be any fun if there was noone setting a fire under your arse, right?

Good call, mate!
According to Darwinist law, competition is a crucial part of evolution. If is wasn't fer a little healthy rivalry, things like art would progress at a snail's pace.

And I agree, it's loads o' fun to be keel-to-keel with such high-calibre artists. Really puts some wind in yer sails!
Get yer funnybone tickled! Read Green Waters!
[Jun 7, 2006 3:53:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://freewebs.com/wonderlander [Link]  Go to top 
SeaFlame

big congrads to the winners!!!!!!!!

there were some really AWSOME entries in this contest!!! from what i've seen, i now totally believe that the pirates that sail the seas in this game lead double lives as professional artists!!!
Retired on 3/7/2010.

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

-The Sandlot

Deviously Deviant
[Jun 7, 2006 4:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Haha. I saw the entries in the Photoshop part and knew that I was owned. But, that didn't stop me from entering!

Also, since the OMs have stopped trading trinkets to people, I'm going to post the location of my trinket case with all future entries. It's currently in a cottage owned by my alt, Rhodinn.

I did get the trinket, once I guessed where it was. I feared for my poor Rhodineggs, but they're still new.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jun 7, 2006 4:56:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
fiddlesticks

Thanks Apollo! This was such a neat contest. I had fun going through the entries and saying, "WOW!" Y'all have such great talent!

Congrats to everyone! I really hope to see more work from you mates.
Muffy's Princess
Idol on all oceans
Idol says, "That's why you love me"
Muffbeard says, "nope, I love you because there is no one else like you and I can't imagine not having you in my life =)"
[Jun 7, 2006 10:24:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Many people have asked me about my Last Supper entry, asking me to explain some things - so I've decided to do so here.

Wow - it's fascinating to see what went into it. I feel compelled to do the same for mine, although it's really not comparable in terms of all the ideas behind it.

I decided very quickly that picking the right painting to parody was extraordinarily important. I browsed many paintings and asked others for suggestions. Ultimately I ended up going for something that had a lot of options for changes (many people in it), and that 'extra something', the idea of changing the locale to the deck of a ship.

I did a crude 'sketch' of what I wanted to achieve, then set to changing things one at a time. Other paintings people had suggested offered useful materials to work in, and I found a lot of stuff by doing a google site-search of abcgallery.com. The hats were the biggest problem - so many piratey hats were needed, at all different angles! Finding a good hat viewed from a rear angle was so hard that in most of those cases I went for a hand-painted bandana instead. Points like that were when having a graphics tablet came in handy.

I couldn't find a good way to work in any sails or rigging like I had wanted. I'd piratified everything I could (and was particularly pleased with the earrings), but looking at the other entries I could see it was lacking a key ingredient, some spark or concept. Looking at that guy on the far left, he looked as if he should be leaning back while taking a swig of rum from a bottle. I stitched together and modified some arm-bits to see if it was at all possible to make that work. It came out better than I had hoped, and that was when I realised the whole thing had to be a great big rum-fest.

For those mentioning how long the entry took to make, I think we all put a lot of time into these entries. You realise you might be taking it a bit far when you take half an hour to do something that a lot of people won't even notice (like moving the guy's hand in the background and putting a bottle in it as if he is offering it to the lady). But you do it because you take pride in your work, and at the end of the day you produce something you are happy with, and can look back on fondly for years to come.

For those that are interested, I'll be going for a red octo and calling it Jam, because I like jam, Eddie Izzard, and Guilty Gear.
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Jun 8, 2006 2:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Mirkwood23

With the rist of sounding like a sore loser, I feel like I have been of a victim of the rule changes.

I'll have to fight ya I guess. War on Nenya :)
Bigwood
All Oceans

Sailor song YPP animation HI-RES
Thanks to Zacthedragon, please wait while loading
(Buying sloops with Eel in name)
[Jun 8, 2006 4:32:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

With the rist of sounding like a sore loser, I feel like I have been of a victim of the rule changes.

I'll have to fight ya I guess. War on Nenya :)

What rule changes? I can't think of any rule changes that would have affected yours. Wasn't it the Mondrian? If so, I thought it was riotously funny. :)
[Jun 8, 2006 4:36:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

War on Nenya :)

War on Enya....but how? I mean, sure, there are times I don't like them either, but War?! Seriously...what about that song "Sail away"...? Oh...

You know what?

I did it again...leaving off the first letter of names will get you into trouble...I apologize, and leave you to wage war on whomever you seek fit.

I won't ever do it again...sorry for spamming this thread Pollo.

Thanks ag-- *gah*

~kp
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jun 8, 2006 5:49:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

/givpox ingpriam
[Jun 8, 2006 8:04:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Okay, so the Shuranthae one is a bit desperate. What can I say. Procrastination made me do it.

(For the record, I'm not too keen on the way the term 'emo' has taken off as a way of referring to anyone that has emotions in a derogatory way, but you just can't turn down an opportunity like Nemo!)
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Jun 8, 2006 8:31:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I think it's fair to say that Nemo's probably one of the least emo people I've ever met.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jun 8, 2006 8:49:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates