• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2257 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
ruby_spoon

Distilling music videos Reply to this Post

I'm continually amazed by the fact that the learning curve for distilling goes so high. I learned a lot from the videos of Sarterixa, Quintalis and Sonnyz, and got to the point where I could regularly (but less than half the time) get a CC^12. But when I got myself a graphics tablet, I was suddenly able to move the pieces as fast as I could think about them. With greater speed came new discoveries and I think I've been able to raise the bar from the existing videos (although that pesky video capturing does slow things down).

First, here's a video of a CC^12 in a respectable 5 minutes, but more importantly it is "perfect" in the sense that I push the whites far enough that there are no longer enough non-white pieces left to make a complete line. I used "Sasasan Katamari" from the Katamari Damacy OST as an intro then moved on to "Burns Attack" by Paul Oakenfold for the more frenetic stuff. All credit to Sonnyz for the brilliant idea of setting distilling to suitably intense music!

Second, here's a more illustrative CC^12 video. I'd adapted to the altered handling of the puzzle while capturing video more by this point, so I can get pieces moving around faster and you can really see my method of keeping blacks at the top and browns at the bottom on the right-hand side of the whites. There's also a few things going wrong so you can see how I handle those. Music used here is the classic "Katamari on the Rock" (with "Vib Ribbon Blues" for an intro).

Satisfied that I can now regularly do these 'perfect' setups, I'm now moving on to speed-distilling, which (if I understand things correctly) could do more for your ranking than just getting as many CC^12s as possible. When I feel I've got something good to show for that, I'll post more videos. In the meantime I'd like to encourage any other distillers out there to post videos of their style, there's always something to learn from seeing how someone else does it!

Edit to fix second video link and mention the music used in it.
----------------------------------------
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ruby_spoon at May 25, 2006 11:02:01 AM]
[May 25, 2006 9:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Distilling music videos Reply to this Post

Wow that's a beauty. Very interested to see the number of individual moves you are able to use in the time instead of a drag-through, would love to be able to do that on my system. What did you use to record?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 25, 2006 10:45:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

I used HyperCam.

I've just realised that I really should have mentioned that, since the free version puts a spoiler/ad-for-itself in the top left of your recorded video (which is fair enough), but I ultimately ended up cropping that out. I haven't tried any other video capturing software but I was impressed enough at how well it worked, so I'd recommend it. There are many alternatives listed in Astrolabe's Puzzle Tutorial Contest guidelines though.
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[May 25, 2006 11:07:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Awesome video.
Awesome music.

It's worthy of awe.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[May 25, 2006 11:20:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

Awesome video.
Awesome music.

It's worthy of awe.

seconded
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[May 25, 2006 6:57:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates