• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 34
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11055 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
ruby_spoon

Ultimate duty puzzle contest | Win a Parrot! | [finished]

My parrot, to be precise.

What: Ultimate duty puzzle contest!
When: Scoring takes place on June the 3rd AND 5th
Where: Across the Cobalt ocean
For Whom: Everyone in the Cobalt ocean automatically takes part!
By Whom: Rubyspoon and Looterati events
Prizes: A second-hand Lime/Black parrot and a second-hand Apollo doll, both in as-new condition!! Also, inscribed trinkets for the top three and the best in each duty puzzle.

ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW:
  • No need to register - it is possible that the winner will not even realise the contest was going on!
  • Just as you've been doing all along, play all of the regular duty puzzles - bilge, sailing, navigation, gunnery and carpentry - to the best of your ability, in order to increase your ultimate ranking as much as possible in each one.
  • The ultimate lists are refreshed once every 24 hours at 2am PDT. You will be scored on your new ultimate positions after this time on June the 3rd and 5th.
  • To help everyone have an idea of how things are going, day-scores will be posted here on the following days leading up to the final scoring date: May 22nd, 26th, 29th, June 2nd, and the scoring days themselves. But the only scores that count are those taken on the 3rd and 5th.
  • Only those that are in the ultimate lists for at least three duty puzzles (and are at least Grand Master in the rest) at that time will be scored. Failure to meet this requirement on either of the scoring days results in disqualification.
  • The most ultimate pirate wins a parrot! Second most ultimate wins the Apollo doll! Of those that qualify, the top in each puzzle receives an inscribed orchid! Also the top three ultimate pirates receive commemorative fancy ribbons.

THE PRIZES:
Last year, I won a monkey in a Cobalt carpentry bake-off, despite the fact that I don't tend to be on Cobalt very much. I was in it for the glory, but some felt that I was taking away a familiar from the Cobalt ocean at large (and the same thing has come up again a few times recently), and I would tend to agree.

It was always my intention to devise and run an event that would award the familiar to someone that had more invested in the ocean, and after a trial run of the format using the crafting puzzles, I'm finally ready to do it!

As it turned out, Escape won the black/green parrot in an automated drinking tourney, and was so keen to trade it for my monkey that he also included his Apllo doll he had won earlier.

The trinkets are being generously provided by Artemis, so it doesn't entirely consist of second-hand goods. Hoorah!

SCORING:
The scoring system is the simplest and fairest that I could come up with, and is calculated as follows. On a day of scoring, we take the ultimate lists for Bilge, Sailing, Navigation, Gunnery and Carpentry, and filter them down so that they only include pirates that are on at least three of the lists AND are at least Grand Master in any they are not ultimate in. For any of the five duty puzzles that you are legendary in, you are ranked as 1000; for Grand Master, 2000. If you are ultimate in one of the puzzles but your rating is dormant so you do not appear on the list, your ranking will be counted as one below the lowest ranking ultimate in that puzzle - for example, if there are 100 pirates on the ultimate list, your rank would be 101.

You are then assigned a new rank based on these filtered lists: the highest ranking pirate from each puzzle will be ranked #1 in the new list, the next highest #2 and so on. Your score for that day is simply the sum of your ranks. Your overall score is the sum of your scores from the two scoring days (June 3rd and 5th).

Naturally, whoever has the lowest overall score is the most ultimate pirate and the wins the parrot; the second lowest wins the Apollo doll.

An example of exactly how the scoring works for a given day is given at the end of this post.

SUMMARY:
Just make sure your ratings in Bilge, Sailing, Navigation, Gunnery and Carpentry are as high as you can make them on June the 3rd and 5th.

Please post any questions or feedback here, or contact Rubyspoon or Crystalclaws in game.

Fine print:
In the event of a tie, whoever has the smallest number contributing towards their score on the 5th (i.e. whoever has the highest individual ranking in the filtered lists) wins. If this is tied, their next highest ranks are considered, and so on; if all of these are tied the players in this deadlock will then be re-scored based on a new filtered list consisting of *only them*. If there are still any ties remaining, the entire scoring process will be repeated the following day (based on everyone that is ultimate in at least three of the puzzles, although only those that were tied the previous day can win), and if necessary each day after that until the deadlock is broken.

Thanks to Artemis for the trinkets and both Artemis and Crystalclaws for helping me to refine the idea!

Scoring example:
Suppose on a given day the ultimate lists look like this:

Bilge Sailing Navigation Gunnery Carpentry
1 - Alice 1 - Edna 1 - Harry 1 - Alice 1 - Charlie
2 - Bob 2 - Fred 2 - Bob 2 - Edna 2 - Leonard
3 - Charlie 3 - Charlie 3 - Edna 3 - Dave 3 - Maurice
4 - Dave 4 - Alice 4 - Ingrid 4 - Alice
5 - Edna 5 - George 5 - Kate 5 - Bob
6 - Ingrid 6 - Charlie 6 - Nigel
7 - Kate
We remove from the lists everyone that isn't in at least three AND is at least Grand Master in the lists they do not appear on, and assign people ranks of 1000 if they are Legendary or 2000 if they are Grand Master. In this example, we'll say that Bob is only Master in Sailing and so is eliminated at this stage.

1 - Alice 1 - Edna 1 - 1 - Alice 1 - Charlie
2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - Edna 2 -
3 - Charlie 3 - Charlie 3 - Edna 3 - 3 -
4 - 4 - Alice 1000 - Alice 4 - 4 - Alice
5 - Edna 5 - 2000 - Charlie 5 - 5 -
6 - 6 - Charlie 6 -
7 - 1000 - Edna

We then create new lists using only those that are left:

1 - Alice 1 - Edna 1 - Edna 1 - Alice 1 - Charlie
2 - Charlie 2 - Charlie 2 - Alice 2 - Edna 2 - Alice
3 - Edna 3 - Alice 3 - Charlie 3 - Charlie 3 - Edna

Finally, we add each pirate's ranks to obtain the scores:

Alice scores 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 9
Charlie scores 2 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 1 = 11
Edna scores 3 + 1 + 1 + 2 + 3 = 10

In this example, Alice scored the lowest and is thus deemed the most ultimate pirate of that day. Edna is runner up for having the next lowest score. In the actual event, this process is repeated on both the 3rd and 5th of June and the scores added together to produce the overall winner.

Final note: I have updated the spreadsheet I'm using for this so that the part I made mistakes on in the crafting puzzle version of this event is now automated!
----------------------------------------
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ruby_spoon at Jun 5, 2006 3:34:05 AM]
[May 22, 2006 2:10:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Re: Ultimate duty puzzle contest | Win a Parrot! | Scoring June 3rd and 5th

Here's the scores as of today. Remember, these do not count for anything, they are just to give people an idea of how everyone is doing and to let people see for themselves how the scoring is working out. Note that ties are being ranked the usual way - 5 pirates are tied for 4th place in Navigation (by all being legendary), so they are all given rank 4 in the filtered list; the 4 pirates that are then tied after them (by all being Grand Master) are tied for 9th place and given rank 9, for example.

Ultimate lists						Filtered lists					
Name Bilge Sail Nav Gun Carp total Bilge Sail Nav Gun Carp total
Keiichiro 3 9 1000 32 3 1047 1 2 4 6 1 14
Contexx 17 2 1000 30 32 1081 4 1 4 5 5 19
Wizzo 7 1000 3 11 45 1066 2 11 1 2 8 24
Pyralis 65 30 1000 36 33 1164 8 3 4 7 6 28
Slashersteve 76 88 10 23 18 215 10 10 2 4 3 29
Gldnstern 9 75 1000 2000 24 3108 3 9 4 11 4 31
Charisma 71 36 2000 10 1000 3117 9 4 9 1 10 33
Hot 55 62 2000 2000 5 4122 7 7 9 11 2 36
Hakim 78 40 1000 1000 39 2157 12 5 4 9 7 37
Yasemin 32 1000 2000 21 57 3110 5 11 9 3 9 37
Taiioo 42 50 2000 37 1000 3129 6 6 9 8 10 39
Smileyluigi 77 69 11 1000 1000 2157 11 8 3 9 10 41

[May 22, 2006 2:43:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Jambdeubois

Bnav is not taken into account...

/me frowns lol
Jambdeubois
SO of Crossbones
Castaway Cove
One of many pillagers of the Cobalt ocean...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jambdeubois at May 22, 2006 4:23:03 AM]
[May 22, 2006 4:22:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Excellent, Ruby, truly excellent!!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[May 22, 2006 11:12:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NUKE913

Bnav is not taken into account...

/me frowns lol

Yeeeeas, but is bnav a duty puzzle? its more a quasi duty puzzle, in that, yes, it is done aboard a ship.... but so is SF. It is not on the duty puzzle list in the YYPedia
not really good arguments, but still, its a reason to disclude it... if a pathetic one :)
Er... Wait for it, wait for it... (/me stares at a piece of wood).....oh yeah, Huke.
Clobat (probably)
uh... (/me pokes himself in the eye)... Rising storm?
Uncommon... er... peanuts?... no.... valor...
An.. Officer... aye, that be right.
[May 22, 2006 1:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slashersteve

I like. But (for obvious reasons), I'd like to see a bit more of a penalty for having non-ults in these major duties. Once the lists are filtered, the difference between a high ult and a legendary can be quite small.
[May 22, 2006 2:20:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Bnav is not included because you can cheat the rating system (apparently), and more importantly it's not soley dependent on your own ability at the puzzle.

Slashersteve wrote: 
I like. But (for obvious reasons), I'd like to see a bit more of a penalty for having non-ults in these major duties. Once the lists are filtered, the difference between a high ult and a legendary can be quite small.

Indeed - had I chosen to make it true 'ultimates only', you would currently be the only one qualifying (although I imagine that will change over the next couple of weeks)!

Having more qualifying pirates is one of the reasons I'm including GM and legendaries. Another reason is that if someone is absolutely superb at three or four of the puzzles but only Legendary in the rest, I'd still say they should count as being 'more ultimate' than someone with middling-rankings in all five of the lists.

But the main reason I'm doing it that way is to try to balance out the lengths of the lists. For example, there's about 100 on the bilge list but only 10 on the navigation list. Being 90th at bilge looks as if it is roughly equivalent to being legendary at navigation.

It will be interesting to see if some of those legendaries get upgraded over the next few weeks though!
[May 22, 2006 2:39:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

Lol, what if the top 10 scorers had to sit down at a poker table and play Pirate Hold 'Em until there was one winner?

Hey, gotta stop slashersteve somehow, right?
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[May 22, 2006 3:12:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
dom1n8rx

Fun idea! Who's in with me and Foily for some late nights on the navy ships? Attempting the impossible...ult in nav! Are you trying to keeel me? You PEOPLE and j00r imPOSSible demands! ;)
*~*Charisma*~*

Charisma says, "who's death flag of doom? lol"
Foilistc says, "No idea"
Charisma says, "well we dec'ed war on them"
Foilistc says, "Oh yeah. That was just because"
[May 23, 2006 5:33:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dom1n8rix    dom1n8rx [Link]  Go to top 
Slashersteve

THE PRIZES:
Last year, I won a monkey in a Cobalt carpentry bake-off, despite the fact that I don't tend to be on Cobalt very much. I was in it for the glory, but some felt that I was taking away a familiar from the Cobalt ocean at large (and the same thing has come up again a few times recently), and I would tend to agree.

It was always my intention to devise and run an event that would award the familiar to someone that had more invested in the ocean, and after a trial run of the format using the crafting puzzles, I'm finally ready to do it!

Consistent with your motivation above, it might be nice if you included some experience requirements (like a minimum of Weighty in any puzzle for it to count). I would find it quite ironic if some hardcore midnight puzzler won the event with all Broad/Ults. :P
[May 23, 2006 8:32:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

rsenkrantz wrote: 
Lol, what if the top 10 scorers had to sit down at a poker table and play Pirate Hold 'Em until there was one winner?

Hey, gotta stop slashersteve somehow, right?

I'm not sure what your point is. It's clear that there are many different ways of deciding what 'most ultimate' should mean. Poker is perhaps 50% luck (and the other 50% nothing to do with duty puzzles). I've given the reasons for my scoring system. Feel free to argue with those - if I happen to end up with another spare familiar (or if the OMs want to sponsor me running a similar event) then I'm keen to see what improvements could be made to the format.

dom1n8rx wrote: 
Fun idea! Who's in with me and Foily for some late nights on the navy ships? Attempting the impossible...ult in nav! Are you trying to keeel me? You PEOPLE and j00r imPOSSible demands! ;)

Heh, I'm curious to see what happens to the nav list over the next two weeks. Just after the bilge bake-off the bilging ultimate list had 200 pirates on it. It's possible that the nav list will more than double in length, since more than other puzzles I imagine it is one that people are likely to achieve ultimate in and then let it go dormant. It's gone up to 15 at the moment which may or may not be due to this. We'll see.

Slashersteve wrote: 
Consistent with your motivation above, it might be nice if you included some experience requirements (like a minimum of Weighty in any puzzle for it to count). I would find it quite ironic if some hardcore midnight puzzler won the event with all Broad/Ults. :P

It's my belief that the current ranking system will already achieve this. I suspect that the winner will have to be at least top-20 in three or more of the lists. It will take more than Broad to get there, and frankly anyone that does enough of all five duty puzzles to overcome all the 'native' Cobalters with their huge experience head-start will necessarily have met my requirement of having a decent amount of time invested in the Cobalt ocean.
[May 24, 2006 2:49:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
CrimsonHeart

Probably the most elitist familiar event I've seen to date. Boy, what a disappointment. =(
There are two main reasons for headbutting a door. One is to open the door itself, and I've forgotten the other one.
[May 25, 2006 6:15:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maquereau

Mind the difference between 'elitist' and 'elite'. Familiars are always meant to reward the best puzzlers/forum-based contestants. This contest in no way excludes anyone at all. Also note that this is a player-run contest and a familiar is being given away by a player for free.
[May 26, 2006 3:38:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Thanks Maquereau - that puts it better than I could have.

Here's the scores for today, which (as mentioned) do not count but are just provided for information:
Name		Bilge	Sail	Nav	Gun	Carp	total		Bilge	Sail	Nav	Gun	Carp	total
Contexx 13 2 1000 14 29 1058 3 1 6 4 5 19
Keiichiro 3 14 1000 36 3 1056 1 5 6 9 1 22
Slashersteve 74 5 15 3 14 111 11 2 4 1 4 22
Hot 33 55 1000 25 4 1117 4 9 6 5 2 26
Cervantezz 47 12 19 34 11 123 7 4 5 8 3 27
Charisma 36 29 2000 5 38 2108 5 7 11 2 8 33
Taiioo 43 32 2000 10 1000 3085 6 8 11 3 10 38
Pyralis 70 27 1000 1000 30 2127 10 6 6 10 6 38
Foilistc 60 9 2000 26 1000 3095 9 3 11 6 10 39
Fliss 1000 70 11 31 35 1147 13 12 1 7 7 40
Luno 53 56 12 1000 1000 2121 8 10 2 10 10 40
Sakurahime 9 82 1000 2000 61 3152 2 13 6 13 9 43
Smileyluigi 83 63 13 1000 1000 2159 12 11 3 10 10 46

[May 26, 2006 4:48:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Scores for May 29th, which still don't count. The number qualifying has siginificantly increased, and we also have two new 'pure ultimates'. But Contexx is currently defying all with four very high placements. This time next week we will have a winner!
Contexx 11 1 1000 12 17 1041 5 1 9 6 6 27
Keiichiro 2 23 15 1000 2 1042 1 6 6 13 2 28
Cervantezz 37 12 4 32 9 94 10 3 2 11 4 30
Slashersteve 74 4 1000 4 13 1095 17 2 9 2 5 35
Charisma 10 29 1000 6 44 1089 4 8 9 3 12 36
Wizzo 6 85 3 21 36 151 2 18 1 7 10 38
Eggpirate 13 57 1000 2000 1 3071 6 13 9 18 1 47
Eggpirate 9 52 1000 23 59 1143 3 12 9 9 15 48
Pyralis 67 27 1000 36 34 1164 16 7 9 12 9 53
Luno 42 43 12 1000 1000 2097 11 10 5 13 16 55
Hot 30 1000 2000 22 6 3058 7 19 18 8 3 55
Huldra 77 13 1000 1000 50 2140 18 4 9 13 13 57
Foilistc 52 14 2000 11 1000 3077 13 5 18 5 16 57
Fannon 85 1000 5 3 1000 2093 19 19 3 1 16 58
Hakim 34 62 1000 2000 32 3128 9 14 9 18 8 58
Taiioo 44 38 2000 8 1000 3090 12 9 18 4 16 59
Sakurahime 32 82 1000 2000 56 3170 8 17 9 18 14 66
Smileyluigi 59 70 17 1000 1000 2146 15 15 8 13 16 67
Fliss 1000 1000 16 29 40 2085 21 19 7 10 11 68
Bootlicker 53 78 11 2000 1000 3142 14 16 4 18 16 68
Malorhec 95 45 2000 1000 18 3158 20 11 18 13 7 69

[May 29, 2006 4:06:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

well I was interested... too bad the requirements are too high for me to participate.
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[May 31, 2006 7:32:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apocalypstik

I think it's a wonderfully creative idea and let's EVERYONE participate and ANYONE can win ....unlike most contests put on by the 'higher ups'.

I appreciate your efforts on this one Ruby.
[Jun 1, 2006 5:37:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Heh, thanks for the feedback! What I find interesting about this format is that indeed, everyone can (and automatically does!) participate - but the scoring is so well defined and luck plays so small a part that only a few people have a real chance of winning. It's certainly not a method of familiar awarding that you could do regularly, although I like the sound of once a year - "Ultimate duty puzzler 2006" kind of thing.

Anyway, here's the current scores. This is the last day on which scores will be posted but do not count. Tomorrow (Saturday the 3rd) the scores will count, you then get Sunday off (or to puzzle like a nutter), and then we count again on Monday the 5th.

Note that Keiichiro, previously a strong contender, has become dormant/legendary in too many puzzles to still qualify! Someone might like to let him know about that.
Contexx 10 1 1000 8 19 1038 3 1 9 4 4 21
Cervantezz 39 9 3 28 11 90 10 2 2 8 2 24
Wizzo 7 25 2 31 33 98 2 5 1 10 7 25
Charisma 1 15 1000 10 67 1093 1 4 9 5 13 32
Yasemin 18 32 1000 11 45 1106 5 7 9 6 9 36
Eggpirate 13 49 1000 1000 4 2066 4 13 9 12 1 39
Slashersteve 65 101 14 4 16 200 15 17 7 2 3 44
Luno 24 29 16 32 1000 1101 6 6 8 11 14 45
Foilistc 40 11 2000 22 1000 3073 11 3 15 7 14 50
Fannon 83 1000 4 3 1000 2090 16 18 3 1 14 52
Taiioo 44 37 2000 5 1000 3086 13 8 15 3 14 53
Hakim 36 42 1000 2000 35 3113 9 10 9 17 8 53
Smileyluigi 64 46 12 1000 1000 2122 14 12 5 12 14 57
Malorhec 107 50 1000 1000 23 2180 18 14 9 12 5 58
Fliss 1000 1000 11 30 48 2089 19 18 4 9 10 60
Bootlicker 41 45 13 2000 1000 3099 12 11 6 17 14 60
Zowee 26 39 2000 2000 58 4123 7 9 15 17 12 60
Sakurahime 32 83 2000 1000 51 3166 8 15 15 12 11 61
Aryelxandra 94 93 2000 1000 30 3217 17 16 15 12 6 66

[Jun 2, 2006 3:37:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Here's today's scores, that now really count! Your total on the far right will be added to your total from Monday the 5th to produce the final score.
Contexx 11 1 1000 5 18 1035 5 1 9 3 4 22
Wizzo 8 37 2 12 22 81 3 10 1 6 5 25
Slashersteve 60 4 13 2 15 94 16 2 4 1 3 26
Cervantezz 35 10 4 33 10 92 12 3 2 10 2 29
Keiichiro 3 23 1000 1000 3 2029 2 8 9 12 1 32
Charisma 1 16 1000 24 60 1101 1 6 9 7 17 40
Yasemin 14 50 1000 8 45 1117 7 15 9 4 13 48
Eggpirate 13 38 1000 1000 33 2084 6 11 9 12 10 48
Luno 25 31 8 28 1000 1092 8 9 3 9 20 49
Gldnstern 10 71 1000 1000 29 2110 4 20 9 12 6 51
Huldra 63 14 1000 1000 58 2135 17 5 9 12 16 59
Pyralis 80 19 1000 35 50 1184 19 7 9 11 14 60
Foilistc 33 12 2000 26 65 2136 10 4 21 8 19 62
Jjin 88 64 17 1000 30 1199 20 19 8 12 7 66
Sakurahime 34 87 1000 1000 44 2165 11 22 9 12 12 66
Hakim 39 48 1000 2000 35 3122 13 14 9 20 11 67
Fliss 1000 74 14 9 54 1151 23 21 5 5 15 69
Smileyluigi 67 44 15 1000 1000 2126 18 13 6 12 20 69
Taiioo 41 40 2000 4 1000 3085 14 12 21 2 20 69
Aryelxandra 98 99 1000 1000 31 2228 21 23 9 12 8 73
Malorhec 105 57 1000 2000 32 3194 22 17 9 20 9 77
Bootlicker 42 54 16 2000 1000 3112 15 16 7 20 20 78
Zowee 30 62 2000 2000 61 4153 9 18 21 20 18 86

[Jun 3, 2006 5:39:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

This is it! Here are the results of today's scoring:
Contexx 11 1 10 4 10 36 4 1 5 3 4 17
Wizzo 8 21 2 3 13 47 3 8 1 2 5 19
Cervantezz 30 8 4 14 9 65 9 3 2 7 3 24
Keiichiro 6 26 13 23 3 71 2 9 6 11 1 29
Slashersteve 62 4 17 2 14 99 14 2 9 1 6 32
Charisma 3 14 1000 19 59 1095 1 6 10 9 16 42
Hot 26 1000 1000 10 4 2040 8 20 10 5 2 45
Luno 24 31 9 18 1000 1082 7 10 4 8 19 48
Gldnstern 22 101 1000 1000 28 2151 6 18 10 16 7 57
Eggpirate 13 41 1000 2000 32 3086 5 12 10 20 10 57
Yasemin 45 53 1000 26 36 1160 13 13 10 13 11 60
Pyralis 79 20 1000 38 51 1188 16 7 10 15 14 62
Fannon 80 1000 5 5 1000 2090 17 20 3 4 19 63
Foilistc 34 9 2000 21 65 2129 11 4 20 10 18 63
Sakurahime 33 85 1000 1000 43 2161 10 16 10 16 12 64
Geekers 1000 68 1000 25 29 2122 20 15 10 12 8 65
Huldra 68 11 1000 2000 58 3137 15 5 10 20 15 65
Fliss 1000 87 16 11 64 1178 20 17 8 6 17 68
Jjin 88 63 14 1000 45 1210 18 14 7 16 13 68
Aryelxandra 101 104 1000 1000 31 2236 19 19 10 16 9 73
Taiioo 42 40 2000 30 1000 3112 12 11 20 14 19 76

These results finally confirm the importance of having a double letter in your name. More importantly, by combining the totals on the far right with those from the 3rd, we reach our final scoring table, and thus the winner:
#	Name		FINAL TOTAL
1 Contexx 39
2 Wizzo 44
3 Cervantezz 53

4 Slashersteve 58
5 Keiichiro 61
6 Charisma 82
7 Luno 97
8 Eggpirate 105
9 Gldnstern 108
10 Yasemin 108
11 Pyralis 122
12 Huldra 124
13 Foilistc 125
14 Sakurahime 130
15 Jjin 134
16 Fliss 137
17 Taiioo 145
18 Aryelxandra 146

We thus have the following winners:

Ultimate duty puzzler 2006: Contexx, who wins the parrot and a gold fancy ribbon!
2nd place ultimate duty puzzler: Wizzo, who wins the Apollo doll and a silver fancy ribbon.
3rd place ultimate duty puzzler: Cervantezz, who wins the bronze fancy ribbon.

Along with the following winners in the individual categories, who all receive an inscribed orchid:
Ultimate Bilger - Charisma
Ultimate Sailor - Contexx
Ultimate Navigator - Wizzo
Ultimate Gunner - Slashersteve
Ultimate Carpenter - Keiichiro

So, congratulations to Contexx, who only narrowly misses out on being in the top 10 of all five duty puzzles, and to everyone else for pushing your ratings up as hard as I can see you all did! I will now be stalking the winners to give them their prizes, but they are of course free to PM me to arrange a meet up.

Finally, any more feedback on this event would be much appreciated, since I'd now like to see if I can get OM support to run it on other oceans and possibly even yearly. Do you think that would be fair? Do you think the format can be further refined, or should be changed somehow? Let me know!
[Jun 5, 2006 3:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
wizzo

Congrats to Contexx, who I know worked his booty off to get that navigation ult. I can't think of a more worthy opponent in this type of endeavor. It was a hard-fought challenge, and one that I enjoyed taking part in. I can honestly say, after bringing my very dormant sailing up to 20 something, if I never see the sailing puzzle again, I won't miss it!

The only improvement I could see in scoring would be to drop the filtered list altogether. It's not a true reflection of the "most ultimate" pirate, rather the most ultimate against the others who qualify. It wouldn't have saved me the last day, but in puzzles such as nav, where there are very few ults, filtering the list down and giving 9 points to someone who is Legendary in the puzzle doesn't reflect the value of those who have attained the ult. Therefore, it gives more weight to a puzzle that has a ton of ults (sailing, carp, etc.). Being Legendary in one of these puzzles would have easily been the downfall of anyone in the game as it would add 20+ points to the total, rather than the 9 you get with the navigation legedary. It also doesn't truely reflect the position you sit at on the ult lists. Being 21st in sailing but still managing 8 points shows that though I'm worse than 20 people in sailing, only 7 people who have enough other ults to qualify are ahead of me. It discounts the fact that I'm still not *as ultimate* in sailing as 20 other people. I'm not entirely sure that makes any sense, but I just woke up, so meh.

Again, congrats to Texx, may he enjoy the prize he worked hard to win. (P.S. Don't you dare steal my clothing color scheme just to match your parrot!)

Fordprefect says, "I don't know what's wrong with you cap...but im sure it's hard to pronounce."

[Jun 5, 2006 7:48:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AudioFuel

Wee.. Congrats Cons! I told you you would win. ^_^ Thank you Ruby for the great event, I just wish I had more time to work on my stats.

- Tezz
- Cervantezz of the Cobalt ocean.
[Jun 5, 2006 8:13:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Contex

Hey!! Thank you all and Thanx Ruby for the nice event! (that was the best one i ever seen!! =P )

Sorry for this little words.. but my english is so bad!! lol
Contexx - Mattgun on Cobalt!

Contex on Viridian!

Contex on Midnight!
[Jun 5, 2006 9:47:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dom1n8rx

Thank you Rubykins! Loved the event, congratulations to all the place winners for their achievements, especially Con! To all the competition, great job workin' your tails off on the navy and the like. You *KNOW* who you are! The best thing about this contest was giving mates goals to work towards, and being rewarded for their talents. It made Ultimate mean something other than just a stat, and it definitely gave credit where credit is due! I'm still going to try for that bloody ult in nav. Charisma...the little pirate who could. Though i'm thinking of changing it to Charissma if it'll help me for next time! ;)
*~*Charisma*~*

Foilistc says, "No idea"
[Jun 5, 2006 11:07:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dom1n8rix    dom1n8rx [Link]  Go to top 
wizzo

Thank you Rubykins! Loved the event, congratulations to all the place winners for their achievements, especially Con! To all the competition, great job workin' your tails off on the navy and the like. You *KNOW* who you are! The best thing about this contest was giving mates goals to work towards, and being rewarded for their talents. It made Ultimate mean something other than just a stat, and it definitely gave credit where credit is due! I'm still going to try for that bloody ult in nav. Charisma...the little pirate who could. Though i'm thinking of changing it to Charissma if it'll help me for next time! ;)

Next time, I'm changing my name to WWiizzzzoo, I'd be unstoppable !

Fordprefect says, "I don't know what's wrong with you cap...but im sure it's hard to pronounce."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by wizzo at Jun 5, 2006 11:19:04 AM]
[Jun 5, 2006 11:18:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dom1n8rx

Next time, I'm changing my name to WWiizzzzoo, I'd be unstoppable !

Not only unstoppable...unjobbable and unplankable too!
*~*Charisma*~*

Foilistc says, "No idea"
[Jun 5, 2006 11:26:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dom1n8rix    dom1n8rx [Link]  Go to top 
gldnstern

Congrats Texx!!
This could only have been more entertaining were the 3 top finishers still in the same crew, hehehe.

And yeah, I'd ask to borrow him for a portrait, but my black/lime up and dusted on me :(
[Jun 5, 2006 12:23:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wizzo

I did neglect to mention something that I found interesting, from my navy work. It occurs to me that the space between Legendary and Ultimate in guns on Cobalt is indeed very slim. At about 11:30 last night, I was gunning when my mouse battery died. I promptly dropped to legendary from 3rd or 4th place. With less than an hours worth of navy gunning, I was able to get back up to 3rd place. I mention this only as an interesting fact of just how close Legendary and Ultimate are in guns.

[Jun 5, 2006 3:48:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
luno50

Thanks a bunch to Ruby for a great event! I don't think those Navy boats have been so active in quite some time :)

And congrats to Contexx for the amazing job, as well as everyone who worked their tails off to get on this list!

-Luno
[Jun 5, 2006 9:10:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AudioFuel

I did neglect to mention something that I found interesting, from my navy work. It occurs to me that the space between Legendary and Ultimate in guns on Cobalt is indeed very slim. At about 11:30 last night, I was gunning when my mouse battery died. I promptly dropped to legendary from 3rd or 4th place. With less than an hours worth of navy gunning, I was able to get back up to 3rd place. I mention this only as an interesting fact of just how close Legendary and Ultimate are in guns.

Amen! doubled-z'd brotha! ^_^

-Tezz, whos thinks it's about time to go back to his hole.
- Cervantezz of the Cobalt ocean.
[Jun 5, 2006 10:43:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 34   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates