• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23621 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
JP585

Re: [All oceans] Fantasy Island contest! Become an Island Designer! Deadline: May 8 Reply to this Post

I reccomending implementing a zoom function in the future...because my island has alot of gras tiles over a large area.
[May 7, 2006 2:03:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jp_585    JP585 [Link]  Go to top 
Metallus

Re: [All oceans] Fantasy Island contest! Become an Island Designer! Deadline: May 8 Reply to this Post

Edit: Whoops! I thought I was posting to the feedback thread...nevermind. My entry will be in this thread soon enough, but I suppose this post should be deleted. Sorry!
----------------------------------------
Metallus - SO - Ironside - Bigups Notorious Fandango!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Metallus at May 7, 2006 2:51:34 AM]
[May 7, 2006 2:45:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://metall.us [Link]  Go to top 
Shantybones

The deadline for entries has passed. Thank you everyone who submitted entries, and a special thanks to all of the island designers who helped with Discussion and Feedback! The judging is currently in progress, and we expect it to take longer than a week. Thanks for your patience, and we'll be with you again soon! With results!
Shantybones of Midnight, retired from active duty
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[May 9, 2006 12:47:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Paddyo

I know the event is finished and stuff yeah, but even so how do yoy get hold of the xml... i cant find it anywhere.. what do i need to do to get hold of it?

Also how do get pictures onto this... ?

Hello little girl
would u like to nknow a sekeret? cos i have 1 and it'll be sooooooooo gooood to hear it
alrite... i no how to count allllllllll the way to shfifty five and i can teach u before u can say
'poopty peupty pants-ss'
alrite bebe?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Paddyo at May 14, 2006 6:53:41 AM]
[May 14, 2006 6:46:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

The XML file is generated when you save your island, and is stored in the c:\program files\three rings design\yohoho tools directory.
The answers to your other question is in the first post of this thread.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[May 14, 2006 2:05:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xoxbrandon

Do more then just 1st and 2nd place become an island designer?
Noelleluver of Viridian

Officer of Obscure Spirits.
[May 14, 2006 7:35:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Charlotte

Aye, mate, if you take a look at the original post...
Shantybones wrote: 
First Place: Lodestone Compass, and become an Island Designer!
Second Place: A Pig or Turtle, and become an Island Designer!
Honorable Mentions: Become an Island Designer, plus your choice of any globe or any chart on any ocean!

...you can see that honourable mentions will also become island designers. :)
Silvertooth, Ex-Captain of the Far Too Jolly Rogers, Looterati.
[May 14, 2006 8:08:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fbb80

When you said 'any globe' is that the furniture globe?
[May 15, 2006 11:51:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

When you said 'any globe' is that the furniture globe?

Yes.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[May 15, 2006 11:59:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chickyducky

can you post the winners ?? i have cheaked every thread attached to this one looking for the winners!!! thanks
Sapphirelady from midnight ocean
Captain of CBJ (Cannonball Junkies)
same name on all oceans
[May 17, 2006 12:52:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

can you post the winners ?? i have cheaked every thread attached to this one looking for the winners!!! thanks

The winners and honorable mentions will be posted soon.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[May 17, 2006 12:53:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chickyducky

thank -you
same name on all oceans
[May 17, 2006 6:32:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shantybones

Congratulations, Everyone!

Before I announce the results of this contest, I just wanted to thank everyone who participated in this contest. A special thanks to everyone, designers old and new, who took part in the discussion and feedback thread. The judging was extremely close, and all of you have lots to be proud of. And now, here are our prizewinners:

First Place: In first place, winning a Lodestone Compass and the honor of becoming a new Island Designer....

Sindaia for Stormrock Isle !

Second Place: In second place, winning his choice of a Turtle or Piggy, and also earning the honor of becoming a new Island Designer....

Featherfin for Kennit Isle !

Honorable Mentions: But wait, that's not all! Several participants submitted excellent islands, and have earned their places as new Island Designers as well. These Honorable Mentions will also win any (furniture) Globe of their choice, or any one chart of their choice!

Brighteyes, Drake, Falkenberg, Idol, jje10001, Lonelyducky, Metallus, Orsino, Peanutswench, Pike, Polly, Redlucy, Rohanx, Roozie, and SnakeEyes

In conclusion.... A huge congratulations to Sindaia, Featherfin, and all of our Honorable Mention designers. Welcome to the group of official Island Designers! We will be in touch with you shortly. For everyone else who participated, a hearty congratulations to you, too. Everyone who created something for this contest did an outstanding job. Our search for new Island Designers is an ongoing process. We are always looking for new talent in the Beat the Champs thread. Whether you are looking to hone your skills with the editor, become our newest new Island Designer, or just see what other people are doing, check out that thread.

Thanks again to everyone who participated! We'll see you in Beat the Champs, and out on the Oceans!
Shantybones of Midnight, retired from active duty
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[May 17, 2006 9:28:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Metallus

Congrats to the winners! Those were awesome submissions, mates.
Metallus - SO - Ironside - Bigups Notorious Fandango!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Metallus at May 17, 2006 10:14:32 PM]
[May 17, 2006 10:10:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://metall.us [Link]  Go to top 
Falkenberg

Congrats to Sindaia and Featherfin on first and second. I cant complain about an honorable mention against their awesome islands (for that matter, against some of the other honorable mention's islands) . I look forward to designing islands for future oceans, although Im sure its a lot of work.
Falkenberg - All oceans, but homed on Midnight
Proud owner of the Millennian Falkun, Dead Starfish, and X Wingfish on Midnight.
[May 17, 2006 10:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://twitter.com/@_woebetide_ [Link]  Go to top 
sindaia

Wow.. thanks everyone :) And congrats to you all, too!

I think everyone did a fantastic job on their islands, which must've made the judging pretty difficult to do! I wish lots of luck to you all on future designs, too :)
~ Sindaia ~
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Sailing the Oceans of Sage
~ Hopelessly addicted to the CCC Darkside Cookies ! ~
[May 17, 2006 10:56:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

A congratulations is in order, to sindaia! Congrats!
A big congrats to featherfin as well.. enjoy yer prizes ;)
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[May 17, 2006 11:12:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MiniMoses

Congratulations Guys.
Top two i feel did an excellent job and deserve it.
And well done to the other honourable mentions. I look forward to working with you in time to come.

:)

/me Claps
Drake
Captain of Clueless
Prince & Politician - Castigo Final.
squirt wrote: 
I'll take your word on this one, that he really doesn't mean to pick fights.. He's just.. British

[May 18, 2006 1:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stripey2004

Thanks very much. *grins*

And thank you for awarding the sunken ship island first place. I'm absolutely in love with that one. I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

Oooh, and thanks to all the people who gave me advice! It was much appreciated.
Featherfin
SO - Ransack Marauders, Lord - Marauders Pact
YPPedia administrator | Island Designer
"What's the Welsh for sea cucumber?" - Orsino
[Edit 1 times, last edit by stripey2004 at May 18, 2006 2:44:47 AM]
[May 18, 2006 2:41:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeatherfinYIPP [Link]  Go to top 
KSparrow412

Oooo

Congrats, all! And great job with the islands for first and second, Sindaia and Featherfin! :)
[May 18, 2006 3:00:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

do you also give reasons y people didnt win or get picked to be a island designer, so that they can improve on their work?
Little Tibby
[May 18, 2006 4:27:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Wow, thank you.

I'm still going to finish Melee too
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[May 18, 2006 8:16:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
fbb80

First and second definitely deserved it! I abselutely loved your ideas Sindaia.

I'm extremely proud to be an new Island Designer XD
*hands out cookies*

EDIT: Who should we be looking out for for our prizes?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fbb80 at May 18, 2006 11:13:21 AM]
[May 18, 2006 8:58:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chickyducky

Congras to all!!!!
if one of the island judges have a bit of time please contact me on midnight under sapphirelady !!!!! I would like to find out what I could do to improve my island and the down points you found about it so I can enter the next contest hopefully improved!!! Thank you and ill be starting work on the new ones soon
same name on all oceans
[May 18, 2006 12:49:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

do you also give reasons y people didnt win or get picked to be a island designer, so that they can improve on their work?

Please can someone who ran this event answer me.

<.>
Little Tibby
[May 18, 2006 1:48:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sseth

Aye. I'm working on providing some feedback for all entrants.
But doing that for 47 entrants takes a little while. Stay tuned. :)
Sseth

Frootloot, my short YPP animation film
[May 18, 2006 3:15:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jje10001

Congrats to everyone who won! And congrats to eveyone who submitted!
[May 18, 2006 3:27:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chickyducky

thank you looking forward to the feed back
same name on all oceans
[May 18, 2006 4:35:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

thank you sseth
Little Tibby
[May 18, 2006 5:18:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MiniMoses

Please can someone who ran this event answer me.
<.>

If sseth doesnt mind as someone who got an honourable mention, and has been recruited as a new island designer, id be happy to tell you where i felt you may not have made the cut and where you could improve....

The original brief for this competition and judging criteria highlighted these points...

* Link to XML File
* Island that was untouched by human hands
* Something "fantasy" about the island that needed people to explore
* Medium sized island that could comfortably fit 10 buildings
* Strict commod count of 50 Basic and 10 Rare
* Bring able to "hide the grid"

Looking through your islands, you have shown you can grasp what the editor does. But this is where i see you need to improve for next time

* None of your XML files where direct linked. You links took us to a webpage, meaning we had to copy and paste your files. Im afraid, with the amount of entrants, the judges may not have had time to do that. But, in future, upload your xml file and make a direct link to that hosted file, so the judges can click and save and open with ease. At the end of the day, the XML was what was being judged.

* Your island wasnt untouched by human hands, it was clearly defined as having docking areas and been rebuilt. (i too made this error, and was too late to ammend, but i think i had other aspect that outweighed that booch).
In future, think about what would the island look like if you had arrived on it for the first time. It wasnt on any maps, and there was no sign of life. An untouched island wouldnt have concrete paving etc.

* I couldnt see anything "fantasy" about your island im afraid. Many of the successful pirates had something hidden, something that needed depth to explore, something that was illusional. Note the winner. His fantasy part was that wonderful shipwreck, that had grown festation and life and had developed into an island over time. (my scope on it) not only was it original, but it was at a part of the island you had to take time to explore.
In future, think of a unique concept that makes your island attractive, and implement that as the start of your design phase.

* Your island, did in fact fit 10 building, and from what i can see, correct ones, but the island was too crampt.
In future, think about the exploration side of an island, people like to wander around, the island needs to be completely walkable, yet still be able to give the illusion of thick forestry.

* the strict commodity. Im afraid none of your islands had 50 of one basic and 10 of one rare commodity. Every single winner, from no.1 to honourables had specifically commodity count as per the design spec. When designing these islands (as i am finding out) there is a design spec to the exact number of commods required. We need to be able to take a work plan, a conscript, a design plan go away and come back perioidically with stages of development showing we can stick to design plan.
In future, look carefully at what is the design plan, and make sure the commodities themselves work to the correct count.

* Hide the grid, heck even im struggling with that, lol. But lookin on the wiki for tutorials really helps. Islands need to look natural. The design aspect is all squares, and so rounding off is important for that natural look.

All in all, your islands had potential. In order to win this, i feel thats where you went wrong and i would recommend following my suggestions.
I am by no means perfect, i have just really started this. But after comparing your entries to those of the winners, this is where i can see the major differences.

A link of interest i think you should go read up on - like i did when i started out is:
Island Design Guide

It tells you everything in there how to go about creating your island. If it wasnt for this guide, and the current team of island designers, including the new ones, i personally would not be able to improve my own designs.

Sseth I have quite a bit of spare time at the moment, and i know you guys are busy. I know i wasnt a judge, and maybe my feedback here is unwelcomed, as its just my opinion looking at comparisons. But, if it would help you in giving feedback to all the entrants, i dont mind helping out.
Let me know. PM is fine.

Hope this helps you Stevedrago.
Fair Winds
Drake
Captain of Clueless
Prince & Politician - Castigo Final.
squirt wrote: 
I'll take your word on this one, that he really doesn't mean to pick fights.. He's just.. British

[May 20, 2006 4:40:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates