• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 139
Posts: 139   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 41891 times and has 138 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[All Oceans] May Familiar Tournaments and Auctions: Odds and Ends Reply to this Post

Swordfighting
When: Saturday, May 13, 11am PDT
Format: Everyone uses a random longsword, best 2 of 3.
Hunter format: Bring your own, best 2 of 3.

Drinking
When: Saturday, May 20, 4pm PDT
Format: Everyone uses a chalice, 1500 points, 6 colours and shapes, best 2 of 3.
Hunter format: Bring your own, 1500 points, 6 colours and shapes, best 2 of 3.

Treasure Drop
When: Friday, May 26, 11pm PDT
Format: 2 minute turns, holes, 4th round halved, best 2 of 3.

Rumbling
When: Saturday, May 27, 2pm, PDT
Format: Everyone uses a random fish, best 2 of 3.
Hunter format: Bring your own, best 2 of 3.
Exception: Cobalt will not have a Rumble tournament this month.

• All Cobalt, Midnight, Sage, and Viridian tournaments will have a prize pool of at least 200,000 pieces of eight.
  • The prize pool for Hunter has yet to be determined, but will be a lower amount.

Auctions
  • May's familiar auctions will be for random odds and ends left around. Similar to the ship auction, different items will be worth a certain number of points.
  • Each Ocean Bazaar, except Hunter's, shall have a thread started for that ocean's auction. All bids must be made to that thread.
  • Bids may be of any full number of points. The earliest bid for an amount will take precedence.
  • If your bid is beaten, make a new post with your next bid.
  • A bid must stand for at least 48 hours before it is declared the winner.
  • Bids must state precisely how the points are made up, including rag colour.
  • The auction shall last a minimum of 1 week from the time it is posted. Any bids submitted before the 5 day mark shall have a longer period they must remain the high bid.
  • There is no set end time for the auction. If bids continue to come in within each 48 hour window, the auction may extend indefinitely.

Item values
  • Rags (except white, tan, blue, or red) - 1 point
  • Black Rags - 3 points
  • Gold Rags - 5 points
  • Fish Bludgeon - 1 point
  • Skellie Bone Bludgeon - 2 points
  • Stick - 1/2th point (so stick bids must be in multiples of 2)
  • Inter-archipelago charts - 1 point

Winning
  • When a player has been declared the winner of the auction, he or she must place the entirity of the bid on an alt character and send me (Bia) a PM with the name of the character. Also the PM should include the choice of familiar (any type, any colours, no solid black or white).
  • This alternate character shall be checked to see if it has the complete bid. If so, the bid shall be taken and the familiar left on the alt.
  • Should a player be unable to meet a bid, the auction shall be rolled back to an appropriate point where it shall continue as before.

Auction threads:
  • Cobalt Auction
  • Midnight Auction
  • Sage Auction
  • Viridian Auction
    ----------------------------------------
    [Edit 8 times, last edit by Bia at May 4, 2006 5:36:42 AM]
  • [May 3, 2006 7:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

Re: [All Oceans] May Familiar Tournaments and Auctions: Odds and Ends Reply to this Post

Do we know what color and type of familiars for the automated tournaments?(not that I have a prayer to win one)
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [May 3, 2006 8:25:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

Re: [All Oceans] May Familiar Tournaments and Auctions: Odds and Ends Reply to this Post

It seems like black and gold rags are undervalued and fish bludgeons are overvalued. Black and gold costs much more than 2 or 3 times the other colors. And you can get 150 fish bludgeons from sinking one grand frigate without having to wait 30 days like you do with rags and sticks.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by B_licker at May 3, 2006 8:35:20 AM]
    [May 3, 2006 8:34:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Zorch

Yes but do consider you have to find somewhere to store all those fishies, unless you plan to make payment within five days of your bid....
    Zorch of Cobalt.

[May 3, 2006 8:36:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    yohohobob

Does it matter how old the rags are?
    Madyohoho SO of Di Cerberus-Retired
    Lord of Arcana Imperii(Viridian)[quote]Remember, I'm the one that sits back and giggles at you mates while sipping masttails in my pajamas. Besides, Y!PP isn't a game; it's a way of life
    [May 3, 2006 8:37:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Gaille

Hunter? Now that was pretty much unexpected...
    Gail on the Sage Ocean
    My vanity page.
    [May 3, 2006 8:41:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Do we know what color and type of familiars for the automated tournaments?(not that I have a prayer to win one)

I have not decided. You may find out at the event.

Does it matter how old the rags are?

All items must survive until the bid is made in full.
    [May 3, 2006 8:42:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    TianX9

The first two rumbling familiars on the oceans that matter, and it's <everyone uses sprinkle-only weapons>. I hate you so much. >_<

Looks like I'm going to have to stay over on Hunter.
    [May 3, 2006 8:50:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Peter_Blood

Bia, could we get linkies in this thread for any OOO run bake offs? Be nice to have them all in one place as well.
    Robberbaron

BSB - Midnight
    MG - Sage

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192
    [May 3, 2006 9:13:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Pianoman1125

Just for clarification, 1 unit of rags is either a top or a bottom, you don't need a full set for the rags points correct?
    Muffynz
    A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
    YPPedia Admin
    Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
    [May 3, 2006 9:21:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
    TianX9

Just so we're clear, is this specific longsword and fish or random? Because the strategy for specific fish is very, very different from random fish.
    [May 3, 2006 9:27:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    antonkraft

i like this :)
    /me rush of to my more rags
    Yaruto
    Antix tells you, "For some strange reason i picture you as this widom-like old man who reads dictionary's by an open fire as a hobby."
    Nooblar tells ye, "But, i had fun eventhough you're sweedish and confusing <3"
    [May 3, 2006 9:33:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ponytailguy

RE: Fish are overpowered... Uh.

To get a fish, you have to sink.

It's not cheap to sink. Comperable to rags, really.
    The Ghost of Oceans Past
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at May 3, 2006 4:48:54 PM]
    [May 3, 2006 9:38:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    thespian

The first two rumbling familiars on the oceans that matter, and it's <everyone uses sprinkle-only weapons>. I hate you so much. >_<

Looks like I'm going to have to stay over on Hunter.

And yet, as one of the best sprinklers on the ocean, I think Bia's MARVY.

Yay, point of perspective! :-)

Thes.

Thespian says, "you have a doll, you selfish meanie. I just have a vulva."
    Peeteegee says, "Hey, I picked out the colours for your vulva."
    Nemesis says, "I'm...leaving now."

[May 3, 2006 9:57:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    jasandrea

Purely a question of curiosity, why is Hunter bring your own? It's the ocean where people are least likely to have anything but foils, leaving the players who have managed to get some other sword in a much better position than almost everyone else. Is this simply to encourage increased sword/mug production?
    Jacquilynne
    Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
    Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
    [May 3, 2006 10:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

jasandrea wrote: 
    Purely a question of curiosity, why is Hunter bring your own? It's the ocean where people are least likely to have anything but foils, leaving the players who have managed to get some other sword in a much better position than almost everyone else. Is this simply to encourage increased sword/mug production doubloon purchases?

Fixed.
    "You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
    - Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
    -Lisakayela
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by rsenkrantz at May 3, 2006 11:19:13 AM]
    [May 3, 2006 11:18:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    RedbeardSage

Is it possible to offer something else instead of the items listed for points? Can it be done on a case-by-case basis?
    One of my SO's wrote: 
    f*** parley they're all dumbasses with too much free time and a grudge

[May 3, 2006 11:24:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kerix

Drinking: number of colors/shapes? Please say 5?
    [May 3, 2006 11:58:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Mlik

Someone call Unikhell.
    Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
    Play Diplomacy!
    Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
    [May 3, 2006 12:11:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
    jasandrea

jasandrea wrote: 
    Purely a question of curiosity, why is Hunter bring your own? It's the ocean where people are least likely to have anything but foils, leaving the players who have managed to get some other sword in a much better position than almost everyone else. Is this simply to encourage increased sword/mug production doubloon purchases?

Fixed.

I suppose that's possible, but is the Hunter economy well enough developed that peeople can buy high end swords and mugs even if they have the doubs to pay for them?
    Jacquilynne
    Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
    Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
    [May 3, 2006 12:31:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
    Piplicus_BNO

Someone call Unikhell.

I love this. Sticks for familiars.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
    [May 3, 2006 12:33:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
    frogkissed11

I already have emailed Uni, specially since half those sticks are mine.. ;)
    JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
    Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
    [May 3, 2006 1:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
    LethalLizord

Hunter? Now that was pretty much unexpected...

Indeed, other oceans had to wait a lot longer.

I think most bids will be made in rags, seeing as they are the easiest to get.
    ~Viridian~
    SnakeEye
    Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
    SnakeEyes
    Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
    SnakeEyes
    Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by LethalLizord at May 3, 2006 1:27:26 PM]
    [May 3, 2006 1:25:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

I think most bids will be made in rags, seeing as they are the easiest to get.

No, fish are much easier to get. Consider that you can sink a sloop full of people and each person could get a fish, which is an easy 7 points. And you can do this many times with ships larger than a sloop. With rags or sticks, either you have them right now or you have to wait for something to dust. The shortest dusting period is 30 days, but the auction will probably be over within a couple weeks. The initial bids will be in rags from people who have a rack full of rags saved up, but the later bids will probably have lots of fish.
    [May 3, 2006 2:15:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Just for clarification, 1 unit of rags is either a top or a bottom, you don't need a full set for the rags points correct?

Either the top or the bottom is 1 point. Please note that red, blue, white, and tan rags are worth zero points.

Just so we're clear, is this specific longsword and fish or random? Because the strategy for specific fish is very, very different from random fish.

Random weapons. I have edited the original post.

Purely a question of curiosity, why is Hunter bring your own? It's the ocean where people are least likely to have anything but foils, leaving the players who have managed to get some other sword in a much better position than almost everyone else. Is this simply to encourage increased sword/mug production?

I am curious to see what this does for the ocean's economy.

Is it possible to offer something else instead of the items listed for points? Can it be done on a case-by-case basis?

I do not think so. It is possible that there is another item in the game which is thematically similar to the ones I posted, but I am rather certain I got all of them.

Drinking: number of colors/shapes? Please say 5?

Ah, I forgot that. Six.
    [May 3, 2006 4:23:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shorty_Jack

Well I don't have enough rags to win this but I do have 10 sticks that I will sell for someone that wants to try to win a familiar. I don't really know how much sticks are worth but my flagmates are telling me 500 poe, so if you wish to buy one or all of them come see me on Lagniappe.

-Shortyjack
    Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
    [May 3, 2006 4:47:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
    USERBWILSON

Seems to me advantage goes to the tailor shop owners as they can just pull them off the rack. Don't think i'll be entering this auction. I'd hate to be stuck with all those rags.....lol

Katees of Yarr Talk

Yarrr!!!!!!!
    Revenge is a dish best served cold.....

Do you feel the chill? hehe
    [May 3, 2006 4:56:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Clarissant

Either the advantage - or the profits! ;)

Still, there's a lot of tailors who don't keep a lot of rags on their racks. Maintaining a regular rack is a lot easier.
    Clarissant on Cobalt
    Wormwood on Midnight

My other alt is an ult.
    [May 3, 2006 7:04:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Fiddler

As cool as this auction idea is, I find myself disappointed that there's nothing else so valuable in the game that we're likely to see familiars themselves turned in for points.
    Orsino, Viridian ocean
    Forum-mute: your best friend
    Whitewyvern wrote: 
    The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[May 3, 2006 8:53:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
    Flak_88

This will be an insanely cheap familiar auction with 50X payoff if you sell your familiar. Good thing it's not so much an auction as a scavenger hunt, it will take lots of work to locate these items, unfortunately by the time I logged on today all the easy places to find them were found :(. Boo business trips.
    Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
    Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
    [May 3, 2006 10:45:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 139   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates