• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2670 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Whitefire

[suggestion] Island Broadcast Reply to this Post

Sometimes an ocean broadcast is over kill, and you have to run it by an OM before it is sent. I propose governors, and OMs, be allowed to make island broadcasts that anyone currently on the island or homed to it will see. Useful for island-wide events and blockades since /jcrew can be sketchy some times.
[Aug 28, 2004 6:03:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Re: [suggestion] Island Broadcast Reply to this Post

Currently on the island sounds good. Homed to it sounds annoying, as I don't particularly care what's going on on Wrasse if I'm off trying to memorize Byrne-Remora.
----------------------------------------
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 28, 2004 6:06:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firien

Currently on the island can be done by /shout ; people who would miss out would be those in shops. Would your broadcast apply to ships in port? People in navy ships assigned to that island?
Aerias rawx! Visit her hugely stockedFULL tailor rack on Oyster!
-------
Now playing on Sage...
[Aug 28, 2004 7:37:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

I like the idea of it be homed. It'd make your home more important at the moment it doesnt really matter where you are as long as your in the right arch.
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Aug 28, 2004 9:11:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Firien wrote: 
Currently on the island can be done by /shout ; people who would miss out would be those in shops. Would your broadcast apply to ships in port? People in navy ships assigned to that island?

Actually, /shout only applies to people OUTSIDE. Those in shoppes or at the dock screen wouldn't hear it.

I like the idea of being able to broadcast to all citizens and people on the island. Noisy governors would then become a pain :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 29, 2004 11:28:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

*Bump*

Woo hoo, my search-fu came up big for once!

Governors should definitely have an island broadcast ability that reaches into buildings and anyone homed to that island elsewhere, especially now that island shout has been disabled and oceanwide broadcasts are strictly regulated.

The "Events" tab on the notice board is good, but it's not really sufficient for time sensitive matters.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rsenkrantz at Feb 2, 2006 7:46:47 AM]
[Feb 2, 2006 7:46:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

Yeah, gotta say this is a great idea. It would be nice for a lot of uses.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Feb 6, 2006 10:56:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

As long as it's only for people currently on that island, as previously mentioned, I agree that it'd be great. I just don't want to be on the other side of the ocean, hearing messages for my home island.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Feb 6, 2006 11:09:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shodan529

It's a nice idea until the governer of the island has to put up with 30 tells an hour asking for an announcement that piratex has a white bandana for sale.

I mean how useful would it really be?
[Feb 6, 2006 11:16:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Not everything has to be insanely useful.

It would be nice if we even pretended that there was some benefit to owning an island, other than paving it with two shoppes a week.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Feb 6, 2006 11:31:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

I still consider this one of my best ideas.
[Feb 6, 2006 4:57:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moestitia

I think this is actually a great idea.

Crazee flag officer chats, "We don't mind if you go join another flag and blockade us."

[Feb 7, 2006 7:02:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aapothecary/ [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Counterpoint.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by drc500free at Feb 7, 2006 7:06:01 AM]
[Feb 7, 2006 7:05:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

Counterpoint.

I see no reason why you, and the other players on the island, couldn't /complain /mute a governor if they were dumb enough to spam island broadcast.

Or if that's the concern, limit it to one broadcast every 15 minutes or something.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Feb 7, 2006 7:27:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
RedbeardSage

I like it. Not sure of practical uses, but it could be some kind of facility to tell inhabitants of potential island-only activities. Like if you wanted to throw a tourney for local players only to celebrate the one year anniversary of taking the island or something. It wouldn't be terribly useful, but now and again, it would be a handy thing to have.

Redbeard.
One of my SO's wrote: 
f*** parley they're all dumbasses with too much free time and a grudge

[Feb 7, 2006 8:07:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crotty

Defenders advantage.
[Feb 7, 2006 9:38:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

This would have been INSANELY helpful for Sloop Blackjack. (As it stands, a lot of instructions had to be delivered 'and please repeat what I'm about to say to anyone standing nearby' because people kept leaving the crew.) Maybe set it up as an events feature... an OM can manually give somebody the keys to island broadcast, as well as the governor always having it?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Feb 7, 2006 9:48:29 AM]
[Feb 7, 2006 9:47:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

I would so abuse this given the opportunity.

Crooktooth Island broadcasts: "Showertime! For the next 20 minutes I'll be nekkid and wet! Enjoy the visuals!"
Putting live chickens in my enemy's underwear since December '03!
Avvy by Sancha!
Sloganizer says: "Crooktooth Prevents That Sinking Feeling."
[Feb 7, 2006 9:48:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

I mean how useful would it really be?

As useful as Ocean Broadcasts are.

If a governor abuses the power, I'm sure the citizens will blockade just to stop the spam.
[Feb 7, 2006 9:52:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiger_Hunter

Crooktooth Island broadcasts: "Showertime! For the next 20 minutes I'll be nekkid and wet! Enjoy the visuals!"

[cliche]
My eyes! My eyes!
[/cliche]

Why can't I make the baker watch me kill his wife and child, then force-feed their flesh to him until his stomach bursts? What is this, Barbie's Horse Adventure?

[Feb 7, 2006 3:38:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

/em whistles
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Feb 7, 2006 3:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parthanos

This idea gives the defenders an unfair advantage in a blockade,and for that I think it's a bad design.
Long retired, mostly expired

Angelmarie tells you, "*nods* I know. :) La Giustazia Inpronouncable.... ;)"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Parthanos at Feb 7, 2006 3:52:04 PM]
[Feb 7, 2006 3:51:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

This idea gives the defenders an unfair advantage in a blockade,and for that I think it's a bad design.
So disable it while a dropped chest is active.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Feb 7, 2006 3:54:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

So disable it while a dropped chest is active.
Or, we can play the "pretend there should be some kind of reward for people to take an island" game. The advantage is perfectly fair. If it's your island, you should be able to broadcast to your citizens about your defense.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
Squid wrote: 

[Feb 7, 2006 5:53:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Let when an Island is taken over (as opposed to transfered) The Island gets 20 Island broadcasts. Then every day, the Island gets 2 extra broadcasts.

Note a change of govenor or a friendly Island transfer will give the new govenor 20 broadcats or the current Island's broadcast count, whichever is lower.

Now this does 2 things. It limits the ammount of broadcast spam a govenor can do, yet gives them a few spams for celebration when the first win the Island or to assist with any after blockade events. Secondly, it gives the desired purpose... Gives the govenor the ability to broadcast but highly curtails their ability to spam.
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Feb 8, 2006 3:09:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skeleton0123

Major bumpy!

To bring this up again.

And to form it briefly how it could be:

- Governor is allowed to broadcast to everybody on his/her island. Being inside port is still counted towards "on the island". Being deported or sailing is off the island.
- Governors can broadcast what they like, if they are too annoying than either the running flag or another flag will take care of it. (as pointed our by Striders in the other thread)
- Governor can be /complain 'd though if he/she is spamming the chat, according to the rules of spamming.

To address something that was mentioned before:
It will give a defending flag a very little heads-up on jobbing, but in the end it's only tiny. You can just do the same via a Tournament anyhow.

Why would it be nice? A ruling flag could publicly announce events being run by the flag, or other kind of important activities. It can be abused for smh's and etc, but that will only make the ruling flag look like tarts and that will not go along very long.

Any ideas/opinions? ;o
Claimed to be a very whiney person.
[Jul 10, 2010 8:01:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.grindr.com [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

- Governor is allowed to broadcast to everybody on his/her island. Being inside port is still counted towards "on the island". Being deported or sailing is off the island.

You're on an attacking ship in a blockade, waiting to load, and suddenly you see the message, "So-and-so ocean broadcasts, "It's blockade time! Come job for us and protect the island from those nasty bad people! Send whatshisface a /tell to get jobbed!"

And then the greenies on the ship vanish.

That's not a "little heads-up," that's completely unbalancing jobbing.

And on a big island with a large greenie population and a big playerbase usually present, being able to directly broadcast an advertisement for the defending team is more likely to get attention drawn to that team. If you have a high pay, you're more likely to get people who wouldn't normally blockade or pay attention to it because it's being given to them without them looking for the information.

Strongly opposed because of the advantages to the defenders. Way too unbalancing.
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Jul 10, 2010 8:37:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skeleton0123

Strongly opposed because of the advantages to the defenders. Way too unbalancing.

So basically.. adding "Island Broadcast functions are disabled when a blockade on the island is active" would make it work for you?
[Jul 10, 2010 8:44:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.grindr.com [Link]  Go to top 
Searmin

More like, ocean broadcast after the blockade is announced--people load for blocks before they start.
Searmin

Conversations from the One Ring sloop:

Searmin says, "Okay, we're gonna sail this ship right into Mount Doom"
Dracina says," One does not simply sail into Mordor"

[Jul 10, 2010 9:00:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skeleton0123

More like, ocean broadcast after the blockade is announced--people load for blocks before they start.

That might be even better yes. Then blockade propaganda will still be fully turned towards tournaments for both parties.
[Jul 10, 2010 9:14:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.grindr.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates