• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1880 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[Contest] Carpentry Cookie Bake-offs Reply to this Post

A recipe:
24 Industrious pirates
Numerous Carpentry pieces, twelve types in varying frequency
Putty to taste

Combine ingredients on a Grand Frigate. Let bake for thirty minutes. Score and enjoy.

Serves 24.

This event is for a single-round bake-off using the sea-battle method.

There will be no announcement for this event. Approximately fifteen minutes prior to the beginning, Io will job people who request aboard the Holiday Carp on a first-come, first-serve basis.

The Holiday Carp will be engaged in a sea battle for approximately 60 turns (30 minutes). During this time, the entrants will play the carpentry puzzle. At the end, the ship will return to port, and the scores as listed will determine who wins.

One bake-off will happen on each ocean on Friday, December 30. See schedule, below.

I could use one player assistant on each ocean. If you are available and willing to help, send me a private message. You will not be eligible to take part in the contest.

Schedule:

Viridian Ocean: 9am PST
Sage Ocean: 11am PST
Cobalt Ocean: 1pm, PST
Midnight Ocean: 3pm, PST
----------------------------------------
[Dec 29, 2005 1:11:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

Re: [Contest] Carpentry Cookie Bake-offs Reply to this Post

Erh...

Interesting...

But is it gonna have something else than cookies to eat as prize or can we expect something more durable....
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[Dec 29, 2005 4:41:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chucken_soup

how are you going to tell who wins? just by who gets an incred.??
Nemo wrote: 
No no, you're thinking of the Haxsword, which all of your friendly OMs and developers carry.

haxx0rd

You just hate me becuse im a pirate!!
[Dec 29, 2005 5:13:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Wolf_Soup    Wolf s0up [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

As with the last bake-off I ran, the highest ranked person in the duty report is the winner.
[Dec 29, 2005 5:23:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shazwilky

Sounds great. Can I reserve a place for the Midnight one please?...lol. Just kidding and hoping I get a slot. :o)
Shazbot - Midnight
[Dec 29, 2005 11:56:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joypad

Thank you very much for the short notice.
Yes, two sailing bake-offs get 30 days notice, we get 24 hours. Brilliant!

Oh, and by the way, Viridian seems to be down. I can connect to Sage, but not to Viridian.

toranaga
[Dec 30, 2005 11:03:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I had a wonderful time. I actually like the fact that there is short notice ^_^ Rewards forum tarts :p

Thanks for the event Bia :) If you have time, I wouldn't mind more!

I don't believe that each turn is 35 seconds, I think the actual cannon shot increases the time a bit each turn since the next 30 secs does not begin until the ball is finish plunking in the water. However, it is good to keep each turn at an equal length.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Dec 30, 2005 12:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HolyApoc

The event was lots of fun, although I didn't do as well as I hoped :D

On the line of suggestions and comments, I think this method of running bake-offs is a great way of finding the person most consistent overall instead of just pulling duty reports. In addition, however, (I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this), but doing bake-offs in this manner allows at least 3 bake-offs to happen at one time on a ship: you can hold a bilging, carp, and sailing bake-off, all at the same time on the same schedule. Sort of like a great extravaganza. As for gunning, I'm sure that could be worked in, but it's just some food for thought.

Another idea could be to have warnings with the guns at certain points in the round, like 5 minutes left, or something like that. Instead of a solitary shot, 2 or more could be fired on that turn to catch people's attention, in case they got a serious case of puzzle vision. Although this does make one turn "longer" than the others, everyone on board has the benefit or detriment of that extra time, so it really doesn't matter that much.
Valandir on Sage
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Formerly coated with Chaotic Candy Goodness
Now just a griefer.
[Dec 30, 2005 1:28:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Congrat-u-ma-lations to everybody who turned up to the Cobalt bakeoff... nothing below an excellent and a great time for all!
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Dec 30, 2005 2:07:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

'Twas fun finally meeting you in pirate PTG! Harr!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Dec 30, 2005 10:14:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Egypt1

Winners? =)
[Dec 30, 2005 10:48:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemor

I'm disheartened to hear that there was finally a carp bake-off. I've waited 8 months for one and I can only assume I will have to wait for another 8 months to see if I really am the best on Viridian. Its a shame that the short notice timespan had to happen with carpentry.
Previous King of Vanguard.

Nemor
Me carping
[Dec 30, 2005 11:08:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Skype: nemor1 [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

I'm disheartened to hear that there was finally a carp bake-off. I've waited 8 months for one and I can only assume I will have to wait for another 8 months to see if I really am the best on Viridian. Its a shame that the short notice timespan had to happen with carpentry.

Relax.... my best guess is this was more of a test of the system. It wasn't a huge event where they were giving a little guy to sit on yer shoulder. My hope is that because this event went so well that they will have more... and that we won't have to wait months for bake-offs.

As far as the event.... I thought it went great. It was quick, easy, and little problems. This along with the gunning comp Epic did make me think that this is prolly one of the best ways to do this kinda contest. Thanks.... I had a lot of fun!
Peanutswench
------
[Dec 31, 2005 1:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Winners

Viridian: Tera
Sage: Delian
Cobalt: Sakurahime
Midnight: Dorien

Runners-up
Viridian: Kerix, Limoni
Sage: Meanparrot, Scarymuffin
Cobalt: Angst, Danyael
Midnight: Cahrin, Novykh

I was quite impressed by the duty reports. At least seven people achieved an Incredible on each ocean. I believe only one person who finished scored below an Excellent.

As I mentioned to the participants, this was a bit of an experiment to see how longer sessions work for bake-offs. I believe this will help me considerably to plan future bake-offs. I thank everyone who participated.
[Dec 31, 2005 6:36:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates