• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12540 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
jpcarol

Midnight Piratical Pictorial Puzzlement - Win a Year on YPP

This contest is a pictorial treasure hunt after the fashion of Masquerade by Kit Williams. For those not familiar with the book, here is a URL to learn more about it . http://www.bunnyears.net/kitwilliams/masq.html
------------------------------------------------------------------
When - starting now, open until someone wins
Where - Midnight Ocean
Main Prize - 1 year paid subscription to YPP
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The idea in this contest is to look at the screenies that are presented and figure out what object has changed in each picture - either added, deleted or modified. There is one screenie puzzle for each island in the Midnight Ocean. They can be solved in any order. Each picture also contains clues pointing to the location of the screenie as well as clues to a goal location for each arch. Once all the puzzles are done for a given arch, they should lead the solver to a place in that arch where all the objects that were the focus of the pictures can be found. Keep in mind that mixed in with the regular pictures, there may be some "red herrings" - pictures with false clues. Just remember that following initial impressions can be very important in puzzles like this.

Once a contestant believes that they have discovered the goal location for an arch, they need to send me a screenie of themselves standing in that place, along with a list of the altered objects from the pictures in that arch and the clue that led them to the goal location. Simple descriptions of the altered objects such as "oak tree removed" or "flowers added" are perfectly acceptable.

Upon successful discovery of the goal location for an arch, the contestant will be sent a final screenie for the Arch. Again, there will be an object which has been altered and additional clues will be contained in the picture.

Once the contestant has all 8 final screenies, they will have all the clues needed to discover the ultimate treasure location. The first person to email a screenie of themselves standing in that location along with a correct list of altered objects from the 8 Arch pictures AND the correct final clue(s) will be the winner.

Rules:
This is an individual event, but if players want to work together for a solution, they can. There will only be one grand prize awarded.

In order to be successful, the winner must not only identify the final location, but they also must include the correct final clue(s) and the correct list of altered items.

Before being given the final arch screenies, players must not only identify the locations, but also must provide a correct list of the altered objects and they must include the correct clue which lead them to the goal location for AT LEAST ONE of the 8 archs. In other words, I am allowing you to luck out 7 times when it comes to finding the goal location, but sooner or later, you will have to figure out the clues which would have led you there.

Screenies can be emailed or PM'd through the YPP board. No ingame tells will be accepted.

Altered Objects. In each picture there will be one object which has been altered - either changed, removed, added or replaced. Season differences (ie; fall leaves, snow, etc) do not count as alterations. Minor variations in color caused by graphics programs are not considered alterations. While the alterations are not always obvious, they are always definite. There is only 1 alteration per picture. I will make every attempt to keep track of any changes made in the ocean and if they affect any pictures, an announcement will be made here and a replacement picture posted. If contestants feel that there is a situation of which I need to be made aware in this regard, please send email or PM so that corrective action can be taken.

There is no time limit on this contest. It will continue until someone comes up with the correct solution.

Prizes:
The winner will receive 1 year paid subscription to YPP puzzle pirates plus 100k poe on Midnight.

10k will be awarded to the first person to discover the goal location for any arch - that is 10k per arch.

Additional prizes will be awarded as donated.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures can be found at http://www.eoecf.org/PP/PPP.htm
Click on thumbs for larger pics

Let the Puzzling begin
----------------------------------------
Moo - What more is there to say ?
[Edit 7 times, last edit by jpcarol at Jan 10, 2006 4:14:08 PM]
[Dec 28, 2005 1:26:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Re: Midnight Piratical Pictorial Puzzlement - Win a Year on YPP

Sensational competition - what fun. Thank you jpc for all the work you've put into this.

This is going to occupy a few waking hours........
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Dec 28, 2005 2:49:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

I was thinking a few months ago how wonderful a Masquerade-style YPP event would be. Thanks for doing this!

You mention being allowed to e-mail the screenshots - what's the address? Or is figuring that out part of the puzzle? >8)

EDIT and a warning: Those of you using the Greasemonkey script in Firefox to read the forums need to turn it off for this thread. It's removing a few minor details at the end of the post, like the URL for the pictures. >8) (Click on the monkey icon in the lower right to turn it off and on.)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Edit 2 times, last edit by kargach at Dec 28, 2005 5:27:48 PM]
[Dec 28, 2005 5:00:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

My email is justplaincarol@onemain.com. Or you can just click on the little envelope beneath any of my posts :)

JPC
[Dec 28, 2005 5:46:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
bret1t

Hummmm, I get a page that lists 59 pic, but no thumbnails...
Any ideas?

Also, excellent idea.
Thanks
CalicoJack
SO of the United Pillagers
Now with more power than I really otta have...
[Dec 28, 2005 6:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
angel00

Do we need to get screenies at each island? Or just the final arch spot?

And do we wait to send you the final arch spot till we have all archs? Or can we send them in as we get an arch finished?

Sounds like great fun :D
~Angellic of Cobalt~
[Dec 28, 2005 7:36:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Any ideas?

Also, excellent idea.
Thanks

The 59 small pics all on one page are the thumbnails - click on them to see bigger versions

JPC
[Dec 28, 2005 8:17:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Do we need to get screenies at each island? Or just the final arch spot?

And do we wait to send you the final arch spot till we have all archs? Or can we send them in as we get an arch finished?

Sounds like great fun :D

You only need to send in screenies of the final arch spots (plus the list of altered items, etc).

So, for example, to get the final picture for Diamond, you would send a screenie of you standing in the location you think is the goal, plus a list of the items which were changed in each Diamond Island picture (like Turtle - shovel added; Cnossos - Tree removed, etc) Also, for at least one arch, you also have to send the correct clue that led you to the goal location.

As soon as you think you have determined the goal location for an arch, send it in because the first person to find the correct goal for an arch wins 10k.

JPC
[Dec 28, 2005 8:28:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
angel00

okay, thanks!
~Angellic of Cobalt~
[Dec 28, 2005 8:32:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

PLEASE NOTE:

Picture #10 has been changed. There was a change on the island involved, so a new version of #10 has been posted.

Thanks to the pirate who discovered the problem.

JPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 28, 2005 9:05:49 PM]
[Dec 28, 2005 9:05:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Is it always going to be a removed object or can it be changed because for example on number 14 an object is changed from the real to the picture and I am not sure if this is a game change or the actual clue.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Dec 28, 2005 9:44:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
bret1t

Any ideas?

Also, excellent idea.
Thanks

The 59 small pics all on one page are the thumbnails - click on them to see bigger versions

JPC

Sorry, poorly worded on my part.
I see the names of the thumbnalis but no thumbnails. I just tried again and still no pics. Reloaded page, nuttin'. No thumbnail and nothing to click to get to a bigger pic.
/me shrugs
Must be on my end, but I have no idea why.
CalicoJack
SO of the United Pillagers
Now with more power than I really otta have...
[Dec 28, 2005 10:07:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Can you give an example of what you mean by,

Each picture has a clue to tell you where it is, and a clue to the arch's location

?

One fairly obvious change -- I don't think any island uses the gold treasure floor tile, yet one of the pictures does. That doesn't tell me anything about which island, or where in the arch to go next.

What am I not understanding?

(Gonna need help wisking to all the islands for this one.)

AD
p.s. Instead of a $75 year subscription, is there any chance of $75 worth of dubs?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Dec 28, 2005 10:42:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Is it always going to be a removed object or can it be changed because for example on number 14 an object is changed from the real to the picture and I am not sure if this is a game change or the actual clue.

Object may be altered in any of the following ways. An item that should be there is removed. An item that is there is changed in some way. An item that should not be there has been added.

I hope that answers your question.

JPC
[Dec 28, 2005 10:47:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

I think we all just have to look and look and think and think before asking for too many hints or answers. You wouldn't have got a squeak out of Kit Williams. Not that looking and looking etc is getting me very far at the moment. Has anyone tried one of the islands not far from Xi - geesh - talk about obscure. My eyes are hurting.....
Jerze

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Dec 28, 2005 10:48:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Bootlicker is the first to have discovered the goal location for Diamond and wins 10k.

JPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 29, 2005 11:07:59 AM]
[Dec 28, 2005 11:11:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Each picture also contains clues pointing to the location of the screenie as well as clues to a goal location for each arch. Once all the puzzles are done for a given arch, they should lead the solver to a place in that arch where all the objects that were the focus of the pictures can be found.

This is from the original instructions. Please note that all the altered objects will be found at the goal location. That's the end of the hints that you get - other than the ones you've already gotten :P

I will try to answer any questions that y'all have concerning the rules. Again, if you find any problems with the pictures as presented, please PM me with the picture # and I will check the island to be sure that the scene is still accurate.

And Jerze is right, Kit Williams never gave any hints :) Of course, it took years for anyone to solve Masquerade.

JPC
[Dec 28, 2005 11:20:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

PLEASE NOTE:

The snow on Meke has covered up two rocks in the upper center portion of the scene. This is NOT the change that has been made in the picture.

If there are other instances where players think that the snow may have obscured rocks, plants, etc. please let me know and I will check and post here if it affects the pictures.

JPC
[Dec 29, 2005 10:15:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

PLEASE NOTE:

1) The snow on Endurance does not obscure the change made to the screenie.

2) There are now 2 changes that I will accept for Eclipse. I am not sure if one of them has been caused by the winter weather, but since I can't be sure, I will accept either answer as correct since both will fit the requirement at the goal location.

JPC
[Dec 29, 2005 10:52:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Ceylon is first to discover the correct goal location for Jet & Opal and wins 20k.

Bootlicker has found the correct goals for Ruby & Sapphire and wins another 20k.

Don't give up, though, because neither of them has discovered the clues which should have led them to the goals. :) Not to mention that you still get the arch screenie even if you are not first. The first one just wins the 10k.

JPC
[Edit 2 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 29, 2005 11:10:08 AM]
[Dec 29, 2005 10:55:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

PLEASE NOTE:

An even newer picture has been posted for #44 since the snow obscured the original change and there was a mistake on the old one. (The S in the trees was unintentional)

JPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 29, 2005 1:16:06 PM]
[Dec 29, 2005 11:50:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Angellic is the first person to correctly identify the Pearl goal and wins 10k.

JPC
[Dec 29, 2005 1:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Ceylon wins the 10k for Coral !!

Just to clarify- everyone who correctly identifies the goal locations will get the Arch screenies. The first person also gets a 10k prize and the glory of having been first.

So even if someone else has located the goal, you can still find it, get the new picture and move on. The ultimate goal is to find the final treasure location, which you will need all 8 Arch pictures to do.

JPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 29, 2005 2:27:04 PM]
[Dec 29, 2005 2:26:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

PLEASE NOTE:

Picture #7 has been updated. The enter arrow was partially missing, but that was not the altered item in the picture, so the arrow is now back the way it should be. The rest of the picture remains the same as it was.

JPC
[Dec 29, 2005 4:40:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Bootlicker strikes again and takes the 10k for Emerald.

Truffleyaki has also correctly identified the Emerald location.

Piplicus & Kargach have discovered the goal location for Jet, as well.

JPC
[Edit 3 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 29, 2005 9:31:52 PM]
[Dec 29, 2005 6:48:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
Rolok

Hey Firefox users with Greasemonkey script, you're missing a key bit (as I've just found out). This does not display in the first post at all, and it helps just a wee bit. ;)

Pictures can be found at http://www.eoecf.org/PP/PPP.htm
Click on thumbs for larger pics

Let the Puzzling begin
But Who is JPC ????

Yawl, just Yawl.
[Dec 30, 2005 2:40:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Some people were having trouble accessing the pictures using the URL above, so I have posted them with a second host, as well. If you cannot get them at eoecf.org, try this URL

http://www.bovinemoo.com/test/PPP.htm
[Dec 30, 2005 4:37:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Warning!
This uber-puzzle is NOT for the sane, take it from me!

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Dec 30, 2005 7:50:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
jpcarol

Several people have reported problems with pictures 15, 49 & 51.

In 15 there is a discoloration on the lamp on the upper right. This was caused by the transfer from one graphics format to another and is not the altered item in the picture. I have tried to fix it and posted an new version.

In 49, the plank of wood in the upper middle may appear to be notched on the left hand end. Again, this was caused by the graphics program and is not an intentional alteration. I tried to fix this one as well, but it still looks strange.

In 51, there was a brown spot in the willow tree which resembled an extra branch. This was not intentional and I have removed it from the updated picture. (Thanks to Piplicus for sending me a pic of this so I coud see what he meant).

JPC
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jpcarol at Dec 30, 2005 10:07:45 PM]
[Dec 30, 2005 9:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.darrylbs.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

*sigh* well I thought I was good at this sort of thing but I'm blowed if I can find changes to several pictures. /e cries
Jerze

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Dec 30, 2005 10:34:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates