• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 106
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9508 times and has 105 replies Next Thread
joedigriz

"To Fix" List Reply to this Post

Thought I'd start a thread for all of the *small* stuff that should probably be fixed or tweaked before (or shortly after, at least) launch. Things that may have gotten overlooked from being buried in other threads, or stuff not brought up yet, etc. Note that this NOT for things like "I don't like how the brigands work" or "Soloing isn't fun" or anything else that's been beaten to death by 100 separate threads recently. Note that these may not necessarily be problems, but more minor irritations or unexpected behaviour that affect the gameplay experience.

Obviously, the devs are very busy at the moment, so I'm not suggesting this be a "needs to be fixed now" thing. :) Instead, I view this more as a one-stop reference list, especially for pointing people to. (Instead of "go to this thread, and look at the 5th post down on the 3rd page".)

A short list, to start things off. (Any suggestions/explanations added after the list.)

- Losing a league point memorization due to battle engagements at/just before said point. *
    - Logging out/back in for route memory to take effect. (This should never have to be done, obviously - memorization should just "take effect")
    - The dock screen doesn't have an "X" on the top right, and instead has a "return to island" button. +
    - Hitting the up arrow on the chat line makes you lose whatever you were typing, even if you immediately hit the down arrow. This probably only annoys me, and is the Unix geek emerging, but I figured I would toss it out anyway. :)
    [/list:u:dc7b1fb0f0]
    * This appears to be the number one thing about memorization that keeps coming up, so it obviously irks many people. It may be fixed with the latest set of patches; I'm not sure, as I have never seen (note: might have missed it) a dev comment on it one way or another. I'm not sure how best to fix this, although something like "If pirate was last to nav, AND nav'd the last 1/3 of a league (enough to get face on status screen), AND battle ensued within last 5 seconds, THEN nav point counter = +1" might work. Or, simply put the person who was nav'ing before battle automatically into the nav puzzle upon battle completion. (Yes, I know that there are problems with that approach; Im just tossing out ideas.)
    [EDIT] Nemo just said in another thread (figures) that he was going to ask Jack to look into this.

+ This may sound petty or whatever, but it means that the dock screen is inconsistent with EVERY OTHER bit of the UI, save the puzzles themselves. When you click on the map, there's not a "return to island/shop" button, there's an X. Same for viewing a pirate's details, looking at the charts/radar onboard a ship, etc. I don't know how many times I've gone to click the X on the dock screen, and actually had to think for a second before I realized what was wrong.
    ----------------------------------------
    Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Nov 19, 2003 1:51:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Re: "To Fix" List Reply to this Post

I know the sounds are experimental/temporary, but I like them. Anyways, occasionally the '*clink*' swordfighting sound gets stuck in a never ending loop if a sword drops on me just as the fight is ending.
[Nov 19, 2003 2:05:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Bump Reply to this Post

Okay folks, let's see some action here. I want to know what you think we absolutely *have to* fix before launch. Don't bother with the 'would be nice'. I want an idea of what you think is required us to call launch and start those two year clocks ticking. Har!
[Nov 20, 2003 11:22:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Foraging should pay off much higher for 'browsing' and foraging only a little from one island, and then moving on to the next island in the arch- effectively, meaning you get a bonus to the goods on the island if you only forage a little and move on. Also required would be 'penalties' for foraging on only one island, in the form of diminishing returns. The intended effect is that foraging trips become more beneficial if you end up foraging both common AND rare goods, and move along more than one part of the economy. This forces people supplying their crew's shoppe to also supply others people's shoppes, too, if they want to pick up rarer commodities- this would help prevent booched supply and demand, and encourage people to get MORE people foraging at any one place rather than less- an island wouldn't be able to get stripped clean without a decent number of different vessels visiting it.

Feedback words in puzzles should be coloured differently for 'finishing' information, (Board Clear! Ye be knocked out! -ally- is knocked out! -target- is knocked out!) and have a different colour for 'bonus information.' (bingo! double! sea donkey!) If time is going to be put into this, 'finishing' information should be white, and 'bonus' information should scale in colour as well as size- ie. going from yellow to red as the bonus gets larger.

Clicking the map at the dock screen where I may board ships should take me to the island overview map again. If I made a mistake, I can always click on the docks to move me back. The docks screen, as noted above, doesn't follow all the other trend for 'exit screen' in the game. Exiting via the map is one of these.

Ideally, when I've attempted to board a ship in battle, I should get some sort of automatic notification when it has left battle, presuming I am still on land. The current message doesn't help you figure out when the boat is boardable, which is counter-intuitive.

The dismiss puzzle button for the swordfight when two ships collide should be placed at a slightly different height than all the other buttons, so that I can't cancel out of the swordfight when I'm trying to cancel my duty puzzle. Either that, or grey out the swordfighting cancel for the first half-minute of the swordfight.

I'd like to see auto-walking to any available station in, so that people don't boochify the naval vessels in their attempts to find a sailing/whatever station. These vessels will be needed (hopefully, anyway) for the influx of players coming at launch.

Clickable auto-walk links for orders, to help newbies realise that they're needed somewhere else. Preferably these would show up right next to the playing field if the player being ordered is already in a puzzle, but not actually overlapping the action.

Ability for SOs and Captains to see when people may not be promoted (due to not having paid) via the crew tab. This prevents us from alienating those on the free trial.

As mentioned above some workaround or alternative solution for memming a league point when a brigand engages to prevent a sixth trip becoming nessecary. Missing LPs frustrates many officers who currently find memming frustrating, and it will do so for new officers, too. On a similar note, islands ought to be easier to mem as well. It's sometimes a nessecity to divvy asap when you have impatient jobbers aboard, and penalising someone for divvying quickly, or just leaving before they get to the point where the memorisation is registered seems counter-intuitive. Can this be done off purely off the duty report rather than the performance and being in-puzzle at the LP?

Those are pretty much all of the 'urgent'/semi-urgent fixes that come into mind for the release.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 20, 2003 11:34:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Vexorg

It would be nice to have the ability to "lock" the current type of chat (e.g. crew, tell) so it doesn't change by itself when you board a ship, which often results in chat going to the wrong channel. And while we're on the subject, the ability to recall the last few lines typed would be nice as well. As it stands right now, should you send something to the wrong chat, you'll need to retype the whole thing. since / commands can be recalled like this, it shouldn't be too hard.
Vexorg: Apparently still in some crew somewhere, Midnight
(May actually exist)
Yee: No, it's not a breakfast cereal.
AtteSmythe wrote: 
Mmm, community-built hype. Better than the real thing, with less work!

[Nov 20, 2003 11:55:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raerlynn

Two words cap'n:

FLAG WARS!!!

An absolute must, as we will be relying on them to accomlish many things and to resolve some... disputes... ;)
My page about me.

I suffer fools all day long as part of my job. I make fools suffer me as part of my fun.
[Nov 20, 2003 12:26:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Raerlynn99    Raerlynn65 [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

Have to have before launch:

• ]crafting puzzles
  • ]racked items not aging (makes it a mixed blessing to stock up your shop, it does)
  • ]pick a brigand behavior and pretty much settle on it
  • ]buddy lists
  • ]at least a limited flag channel
    [/list:u:bb74a5f51c]

Also, while this isn't the sort of thing you were asking for, I think at least the first round of player-owned shops should have a few days to build up stock and get running first.

Unlike Raerlynn, I don't think Flag Wars need to exist at launch. The feeling that "war's coming" is pretty exciting on its own right now--the influx of newbies doesn't need to pop into the middle of ongoing war.
    Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Nov 20, 2003 12:40:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

There's no need to tell them to hurry up on features they already know they're going to put in, guys :) I think cleaver wants you to list things they haven't said they're doing yet, that you feel should be in before release. At least a few crafting puzzles will make it, so there's another thing there's no need to list.

I have confidence that they'll get these big features out as soon as they can- but remember that they are BIG FEATURES, and as such, need more programming, planning, and in-house testing before they release them. Wanting them more won't speed them up, and releasing them early will just result in loss of fun and complaints, which neither the players nor the devs want.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 20, 2003 12:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

No, I'm pretty sure Cleaver wants to know what, even on The List, we think needs to happen in the next short while.
Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Nov 20, 2003 12:44:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

Vexorg wrote: 
It would be nice to have the ability to "lock" the current type of chat (e.g. crew, tell) so it doesn't change by itself when you board a ship, which often results in chat going to the wrong channel.

Im pretty sure, based on a reply from Cleaver (I believe) on this subject, that the current way isn't the way it should be working. So what you suggested is more in line with what the Ringers want. And if its not, well, it bloody well should be :P
[Nov 20, 2003 12:49:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Are we actually using the F1-12 keys at the moment? These could be used to switch between the various chat types too, locking you in each mode. Also, when you are in tell mode, up and down, which in other modes scroll between /whatever commands, should scroll between the various players you've sent tells to/received tells from.

And yes I think reiteration was encouraged, but I'm sure I've heard somewhere that there are certain things that aren't going to make release, and I got the distinct impression that these would include flag wars, adventure islands, and sea monsters. I could just have gotten confused though, it's been known to happen quite a bit :)
from Midnight.
[Nov 20, 2003 12:56:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Arkenor

Add to that a /reply command. Makes talking to my pal Captain Whfidmeixle so much easier.
[Nov 20, 2003 1:01:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Choosing Tell from the chat menu will automatically fill in the name of the last pirate to send ye a tell.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Nov 20, 2003 1:06:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Personally I think pre-launch requirements are:

- add shop worker puzzles
- run a doc [including website help!] review; there's still a bit of outdated or... unclarified stuff in the docs.

I think that's it as far as showstoppers go.

Not having the shop worker puzzles is just the only glaring thing that makes the game seem unfinished. Flag wars, colonization, chat enhancements, houses are all things that are 'additions' or at least aren't obviously missing when they're not here.

As for making the help and manual up to date and clear, that's pretty much common sense, though commonly overlooked in my experience.
[Nov 20, 2003 1:21:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Crafting Puzzles Reply to this Post

Whilst we will have the first crafting puzzle implemented for Launch there's no way that we can do all of them in the next few weeks. We're talking a week or two before launch here folks, not six months. Likewise other major features like Flag Wars; yes, these are right up there on our list of things to do, but they are not pre-launch fixes and niggles, which is what I'm looking for here.

Likewise Buddy Lists and Flag broadcast. Coming soon, but probably not that soon.

I appreciate that not having all the shop puzzles makes the game seem unfinished, but that's the nature of an online game; we'll always be adding things, and things will always be wanting to be added. The only reason the lack of crafting puzzles is noticeable is that there's the placeholder puzzle there to give you the idea.

/reply is not happening as it would booch when someone else talked to you while you were composing a reply. Just arrow up and it handily fills in /tell <personwhojustspoketoyou>

I like the idea of limiting forage to one or two attempts per island per player. Randomizing the spawn time as well would help.

Many other good things in here, keep it up.
[Nov 20, 2003 3:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Any chance of tweaking production of certain things? I think Lorandite, Leushite and Masuyite are just a wee bit too rare, personally. Just my opinion.

Brigand payout for higher coloured ships is too low, although I've heard you are working on that.

I'd like you to add an x at the top right corner of the dock page. And fix the royalty page so I show as queen. That's all I got.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Nov 20, 2003 3:49:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

For a start, my bank account needs to be fixed. There are several zeroes missing off the end.

...on a more serious note, I'd like to underline the two memorisation issues. The Logging off/on thing - maybe you could run the bit of code that updates your chart when you disembark a ship, if you've been navigating?

I'd like to see a fix to the Non memorisation when you get attacked issue too, but I can't think of a way to do it right now.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Lizzie wrote: 
I'd like you to add an x at the top right corner of the dock page.

I woul' like this too, but ta expand upon it, mayhap ye could ha' a way ta 'queue' yerself in fer a ship. If ye click a ship an its in battle, as long as ye stay in the dock screen ye will be in the queue (a ship can only ha' as many people in its queue as it ha' empty spaces). Once tha ship exits combat, the people in the ship's queue will be whisked aboard. If ye close tha dock screen afore ye get whisked, yer spot in tha queue is released an someone else can queue up.

I wou' also (as mentioned in another thread) like ta see the message fer completing 8 or 9 star constellations be more exciting. Right now, me favorite two message are "Leaping Porpoises", which ye get fer clearing long strings o' stars (not worth much points), an "Ye Heavens Aligned", which I believe is fer hard 6 an 7 star constellations. I thin' tha' "Ye Heavens Aligned" sounds better than tha "Masterful" ye get fer 8 or 9 stars. If nothin' else, I woul' switch tha messages, so tha' they seem more correct.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eyes

Since its not likely to make as huge an economic impact anymore, I think skellies being more accessible would be a hugh plus, give new players another thing to do that seems very exciting, I know it was for me when i started, and give us old folks back our old friends. As it is I haven't fought a single skellie since midnight, and i have been to islands where they 'could' be.

Lizzie

I totally agree with the new messages for Nav. Plus maybe make the thing after Vegas something different? I know some people would like that.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

54x

I like the idea of limiting forage to one or two attempts per island per player. Randomizing the spawn time as well would help.

Probably also a 'bonus' for not having been to said island in a long time, like say, a week. This way switching archs profits you more, too, encouraging even more 'spreadage' of goods.
from Midnight.
[Nov 20, 2003 6:12:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
svarog

Wow . . . this thread degenerated into exactly what cleaver didn't want really quickly.

So far there's been only too game altering services i've noticed that would be reall helpful to be changed before launch.

Telastyn wrote: 

- run a doc [including website help!] review; there's still a bit of outdated or... unclarified stuff in the docs.

Scuppering signed.

joedigriz wrote: 
The dock screen doesn't have an "X" on the top right, and instead has a "return to island" button.

As joe says . . it kills the unifiying gui design you guys (you guys = ringers) have in place.

So those are the only two things that would really throw a newbie for a loop. Everything else in here seems to be more of the 'I'm enjoying the game a lot, but would enjoy it more if . . . ' which isn't what was asked for.

So let's get back on track and give the devs those all important nagging bugs as opposed to 'my life would be better if' issues.
[Nov 20, 2003 11:21:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Falgor

i think the biggest bug that bothers me is the one connected to getting challenged to a drinking or swordfighting puzzle. someone challenges me to a puzzle, and i hit the 'inspect' button. little did i know, the person canceled the challenge in the meantime, and i am left with the internal error message that cannot be closed to get it off my screen. it took me some time to figure out how to work around this without logging off and back on to get rid of that message on the screen. now whenever it happens i keep playing, but the 'soandso has challenged you to a game of skill' message is forever on my 'ahoy' board.

i don't know if this warrents fixing before launch, but it sure frustrated me the first few times it happened, before i learned how to work around it. and it has certainly cut down on my accepting a puzzle challenge, cause i don't want to deal with the error for the rest of the time i am online.
The pirate Auron was last sited sailing the Cobalt ocean, kupo!
[Nov 20, 2003 11:56:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kiara

If our main concern for the release is less confused newbies, I think this is worth mentioning...
I have noticed that many new players that end up on a navy ship don't actually realize that they're on a ship run by NPCs. I think there should be an explaination about job postings and navy ships either during the short introductory trip, or when they first look at the notice board.
[Nov 21, 2003 12:11:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jewles

Camping should definatly be removed or made less profitable as soon as posible. Many solutions for this have been sugested (forage puzzle, random spawns, limiting forage per person per island, ...). I am not surwe which of these solutions should be implemented before launch, I presume the easiest to implement but encouraging people to have alt accounts and use macros by making it so profitable goes against the spirit of this game.
[Nov 21, 2003 12:16:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Hmmm.... something I just thought of. This seems to catch many people by surprise, so it's worth mentioning. (If this is done, I apologize... been a while since I've been a pleeb.)

If it hasn't been added already, there needs to be a warning dialog when non-officers purchase certain items. For example, cannonballs or rum. Something like:

Warning, you have to be an officer before you can have this order delivered. Proceed? OK/Cancel

In fact, the same warning, perhaps with a "can only be delivered to a ship at the dock" message, should be given to those who aren't in crews and don't own their own boats. In fact, I'm tempted to say just to disallow it period, but I figure there might be a good reason for doing this. (ie. having a ship built, want supplies ready-to-go once it's done)
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Nov 21, 2003 12:16:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Yes, I agree with Garnot's suggestion, if only because I remember when the PA players started logging and and ordered cloth, thinking that they needed to do so to buy clothes (I did the same myself I admit) and thus ran the entire economy into the ground for a while.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Nov 21, 2003 12:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

joedigriz wrote: 
If it hasn't been added already, there needs to be a warning dialog when non-officers purchase certain items. For example, cannonballs or rum. Something like:

Warning, you have to be an officer before you can have this order delivered. Proceed? OK/Cancel

Well, if that's how they want to handle it, I'd definitely support it.

*Personally*, I am having a hard time figuring out why one needs to be an officer to have goods put *into* a ship's hold. Neither of my non-officers are forbidden to put PoE into the hold, so why the difference?
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Nov 21, 2003 12:36:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

You could fill a ship with Old Man's Beard, I suppose.
[Nov 21, 2003 12:55:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

My critical fix list, for stuff which directly impacts the newbie play experience:

1. Update the documentation.
2. Make it possible for officers to see which cabin people have subscribed.
3. Warn non-officers if they quote goods that can only be delivered via the hold.
4. Make it clear in the docs that ordinary players don't need raw materials to get finished goods.
5. Clickable "go to this empty station" link when ordered to do something.
6. Auto-walk to empty duty station of appropriate type.
7. Notification when a ship you tried and failed to board is out of battle.
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Nov 21, 2003 1:18:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 106   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates