• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 61
Posts: 61   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9558 times and has 60 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[Viridian] Sailing Bake-Off 11/23

Viridian Ocean Sailing Bake-off

Date: Wednesday, November 23

Time: 7am, PST

Event Host: Io

Participation limit: 90

Number of rounds: 5

Rules:
This bake-off will use a new format that was originally proposed by Shuranthae. Please read these rules carefully to understand how the process will work.

Thirty minutes before the start of the event, Io will begin jobbing entrants on board the grand frigate the Grand Sailfish. Three rounds will take place aboard the grand frigate, with thirty sailors participating in each round. Other pirates may play the other puzzles if they so desire.

Each round will consist of the Grand Sailfish deporting from an island and then being engaged in sea battle. We will remain in the sea battle for twenty turns (10 minutes) during which time all players on the sailing stations will compete. The first ten turns will be covered by the standard non-disengage period of sea battle. The next ten turns will be marked by firing one cannon each round. After this time the ship will disengage and return to port.

When the ship reaches the port, the listing of pirates will determine their overall ranking for that round.

The top six sailors for each round will continue on. It is not required, but acceptable if those players who do not continue on remain on board to observe and play the other puzzles.

After the three rounds aboard the Grand Sailfish have commenced, the eighteen pirates to continue on will board the war frigate Warrior Sailfish. Any additional players may come aboard to puzzle and observe. One round will be played, with the top three pirates to continue on.

The last round will take place aboard the Sloppy Sailfish. The three pirates will compete for one round, with the top placing pirate winning the familiar.

Disclaimers:
In the event of lower than expected participation, the number of rounds may be reduced and the ships used altered.

In the event that we find problems with the rules design as stated above, the bake-off will take the more traditional form.

Judges:
I will need a few assistants for the event. If you are interested in helping out, please send me a Private Message stating your interest. Those who assist may not compete in the event.

Prizes:
First prize: A Blue/Maroon Parrot

Other places may choose one prize for any tier they fit into. For instance, the second and third place finishers may choose a prize from any of the three tiers; the fifteenth place finisher may choose any prize in the third tier.

Tier 1 (2nd, 3rd)
  • Outfit: Any top, bottom, hat (except crown/tiara), boots. Any colour combinations except gold/black.
  • Pig (Furniture)
  • Tortoise (Furniture)
  • Fancy Ribbon Trinket

Tier 2 (2nd through 9th)
  • Outfit: Any top, bottom, hat, boots that do not use fine cloth. Any colour combinations except gold/black.
  • Sloop <adjective> Sailfish
  • Portrait with Oceanmaster
  • Ribbon Trinket

Tier 3 (2nd through 18th)
  • Outfit: Bandana, Stripey Shirt, Knickers. Any colour combinations.
  • Shipside painting (Furniture)
  • Handkerchief Trinket
    ----------------------------------------
  • [Nov 11, 2005 6:46:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

Re: [Viridian] Sailing Bake-Off 11/23

/me grumbles mightily about a classically slow day at his job interfering with his ability to mount a title defense.

Good luck everyone. =)
    Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
    [Nov 11, 2005 6:52:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    meow123_456

Does viridian need ANOTHER sailing bakeoff??

NOTE: I'm not saying this because i suck at sailing, i'm saying it in support for those who rule at carp/bilge/gunning
    Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
    Pillaging Sucks.

[Nov 11, 2005 8:21:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
    Kaits

Wooooo! I'll be there. Hmmm, gotta get up early fer that one.

I can't wait.
    Viridian - Anabanana - Officer and Poet of RLS Legacy under the flag Pay for Play
    Hunter - Kaits - Officer and Poet of Pitch Black under the flag of The Eye

Oringinalsexy says, "anabanana who do you think you are? Hypnos?"

[Nov 11, 2005 11:23:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    LethalLizord

2am for me.. Still I must make it.. I would love a cute piggy =]
    ~Viridian~
    SnakeEye
    Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
    SnakeEyes
    Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
    SnakeEyes
    Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
    [Nov 11, 2005 3:40:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

Alternatively, if the defending vessel gets shot/rammed every two turns there should also be a message that displays whenever they're able to disengage. So a Turn 10, shoot/ram each other once, wait for message at Turn 12 to appear then repeat.

Oh, and be sure the small ship attacks the big ship. Yeah, it sounds obvious but people still make this mistake and get Blackshipped.
    [Nov 11, 2005 4:34:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

You could even stick 5 shots in the bakeoff vessel right away, then wait for the message at turn 20.
    [Nov 11, 2005 8:17:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

Actually I think they wanted to mark what turn it was past 10, which is why I suggested every two turns. Though I just now understood that they might have meant they weren't going to reload cannons, so you can tell how many turns are left by how many shots are loaded.

*merely speculating*
    [Nov 12, 2005 12:39:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Actually I think they wanted to mark what turn it was past 10, which is why I suggested every two turns. Though I just now understood that they might have meant they weren't going to reload cannons, so you can tell how many turns are left by how many shots are loaded.

*merely speculating*

There are a variety of options to mark off twenty turns. I may opt instead to load twenty cannons and fire once every turn. This will work for the grand frigate and war frigate, but not for any smaller vessels.

I suppose, since the only smaller vessel planned is to be a sloop, I may opt for this instead. It is even easier, and will allow easy counting for any observer.
    [Nov 12, 2005 12:48:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    LethalLizord

*merely speculating*

There are a variety of options to mark off twenty turns. I may opt instead to load twenty cannons and fire once every turn. This will work for the grand frigate and war frigate, but not for any smaller vessels.

I suppose, since the only smaller vessel planned is to be a sloop, I may opt for this instead. It is even easier, and will allow easy counting for any observer.

im not sure how many cannons a galleon has, but if you use a war brig.. load it with 20 medium shot, load it with 16 cannons, reload with 4 more cannons after the first 4 turns.
    easy! :)
    ~Viridian~
    SnakeEye
    Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
    SnakeEyes
    Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
    SnakeEyes
    Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
    [Nov 12, 2005 4:14:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    TianX9

But... but... but... we just HAD a sailing bake-off!

Why no love for bilging? Or at least carpentry?

*cries*
    [Nov 12, 2005 1:10:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    meow123_456

But... but... but... we just HAD a sailing bake-off!

Why no love for bilging? Or at least carpentry?

*cries*

Excactly why i posted my post nearer to the top
    Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
    Pillaging Sucks.

[Nov 13, 2005 12:32:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
    canny206

I have a bad feeling about this. Why do I think that Demonyaj is going to get his 3rd or 4th familiar. I am scared.
    [Nov 16, 2005 7:45:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

You better hope he wins it. He or someone not me, that is.
    [Nov 16, 2005 8:26:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    starrarose

I have a bad feeling about this. Why do I think that Demonyaj is going to get his 3rd or 4th familiar. I am scared.

Because you're not paying attention? D has to work. Now we just have to keep it OUT of Shuranthae's hands. Rumprices are crazy enough thanks very much
    Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
    TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Nov 17, 2005 2:23:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    meow123_456

Because you're not paying attention? D has to work. Now we just have to keep it OUT of Shuranthae's hands. Rumprices are crazy enough thanks very much

Shur should win the familiar and then give it away in a carp/bilge bakeoff.
    Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
    Pillaging Sucks.

[Nov 17, 2005 3:16:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

Iforgot wrote: 
    Glancing shot! Not quite a bulleyes, and not quite the right ocean.
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by Shuranthae at Nov 17, 2005 3:31:57 AM]
    [Nov 17, 2005 3:31:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

Shur wrote: 
    Iforgot wrote: 
    Glancing shot! Not quite a bulleyes, and not quite the right ocean.

Come on, Shur, can't you focus you evil fun on one ocean at a time? *grin*
    [Nov 17, 2005 4:43:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

Well the truth is I don't have the resources on another Ocean to properly run a bakeoff in a way that I would find suitable for my giving away a Familiar. I tried getting OM support but I believe the response I got upon suggesting my proposal was something along the lines of "Events should be fun." So yeah, if I do one it'd have to be on Midnight.
    [Nov 18, 2005 1:35:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    starrarose

Shuranthae wrote: 
    Well the truth is I don't have the resources on another Ocean to properly run a bakeoff in a way that I would find suitable for my giving away a Familiar. I tried getting OM support but I believe the response I got upon suggesting my proposal was something along the lines of "Events should be fun." So yeah, if I do one it'd have to be on Midnight.

*mutters* Can't believe I'm derailing and encouraging more rockstar participation

If you do decide you'd like to do something like was suggested - I know a friendly crew that wouldn't mind lending a hand - heck, I know a flag that wouldn't mind lending a hand. Chaos is good

Prometheus wrote: 
    TheRack wrote: 

no u

-Pro

[Nov 18, 2005 2:33:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Oorlian

Urge to sail...rising.
    I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
    Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
    [Nov 18, 2005 10:41:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
    KariMinger

I would love to be there, but this is during the day on a work day. Seems like you have cut off all but the kiddos who have the day before Thanksgiving off for school.

Please plan more events like this during the weekend or around 5pm-9pm game time for all of us slaves to the man.
    Zazazu : blockading near you
    Captain of "Cracker-Throwing Monkey"-Ellipse-Viridian
    You can't buy fame, you earn it. Unless it's Corona Reef we're talking about. -Saltake
    [Nov 18, 2005 11:13:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    phenylfairy

Seems like you have cut off all but the kiddos who have the day before Thanksgiving off for school

Or the people who live in other parts of the world perhaps? They're just trying to make competitions available to a wide range of the piratey population; be patient and they'll put up some ones suited to different timezones next month or something.

(It's at like 4pm for me, perfect :P (student, not school kiddo))
    Lethe: The Sea Hares, Day of the Tentacle (Viridian); Far Too Jolly Rogers, Looterati (Midnight)
    MalkierKing wrote: 
    ur mom iz a loot haha lolz!11onetwothreetesting

[Nov 18, 2005 12:10:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Oorlian

Just reread the rules. No mad dash for 1st league Incredible? Nothing matters at all except duty ranking at the end of the round?

I LOVE IT!

Woe be to those poor souls that get in my way. See you all next week.
    [Nov 18, 2005 12:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
    Fiddler

I would love to be there, but this is during the day on a work day. Seems like you have cut off all but the kiddos who have the day before Thanksgiving off for school.

Please plan more events like this during the weekend or around 5pm-9pm game time for all of us slaves to the man.

This event works out to be at:
    10am East Coast
    10:30 am Newfoundland
    3pm United Kingdom
    5pm for Eastern Europe
    8:30pm for India
    Midnight for Japan and Korea
    1am for Australia
    3am for New Zealand

Your ideal times (5pm game time) would work out to:
    8pm East Coast
    8:30pm Newfoundland
    1am United Kingdom
    3am for Eastern Europe
    6:30am for India
    10am for Japan and Korea
    11am for Australia
    1pm for New Zealand

What the Ringers are trying to do is accomodate players from all across the world in addition to people who slave for "the man" other than nine to five (i.e. the graveyard shift.) They can't and shouldn't make them all fit your schedule.
    Orsino, Viridian ocean
    Forum-mute: your best friend
    Whitewyvern wrote: 
    The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Nov 18, 2005 12:18:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

Just reread the rules. No mad dash for 1st league Incredible? Nothing matters at all except duty ranking at the end of the round?

I LOVE IT!

Woe be to those poor souls that get in my way. See you all next week.

And now, I am officially really sad that I have work. Getting my head handed to me by Oorlian is a rare treat and is certainly worth showing up for.
    [Nov 18, 2005 12:19:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Oorlian

And now, I am officially really sad that I have work. Getting my head handed to me by Oorlian is a rare treat and is certainly worth showing up for.

Oh, pshaw. I'm so out of practice that it's not even funny.

Oorlian -> Old and busted.
    Demonyaj -> New hotness.
    [Nov 18, 2005 12:24:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

There's a blockade on Cobalt this weekend. There's nothing that three hours or so of practice can't fix for you. You might be old, but age + treachery > young hot hand, every time.
    [Nov 18, 2005 12:32:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    KariMinger

This event works out to be at:
    {truncated}

Your ideal times (5pm game time) would work out to:
    {truncated}

What the Ringers are trying to do is accomodate players from all across the world in addition to people who slave for "the man" other than nine to five (i.e. the graveyard shift.) They can't and shouldn't make them all fit your schedule.

Yes, I know, I should have added something about being in North America, etc. I've just noticed that the majority of contest times since I started playing (mid August) have not been convenient for anyone in Central time zone. I'm not saying every one needs to be...just some!
    Zazazu : blockading near you
    Captain of "Cracker-Throwing Monkey"-Ellipse-Viridian
    You can't buy fame, you earn it. Unless it's Corona Reef we're talking about. -Saltake
    [Nov 18, 2005 7:11:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    starrarose

Oh, pshaw. I'm so out of practice that it's not even funny.

Oorlian -> Old and busted.
    Demonyaj -> New hotness.

Damn. Ass handed to me by Demonyaj or ass handed to me by Oorlian. I'm screwed either way. On the other hand they're both my crew mates on Viridian..... *snickers*

Prometheus wrote: 
    TheRack wrote: 

no u

-Pro

[Nov 20, 2005 10:13:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 61   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates