• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 61
Posts: 61   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13822 times and has 60 replies Next Thread
Daynarius

Admiral Trinket Reply to this Post

I've often thought it would be nice to have some kind of non-dusting reward for reaching admiral-standing with the navy, and it seems like a trinket (perhaps a medal) would be just the thing. Clothes dust; trinkets are forever.

Thoughts?

I tried several searches to see if I could find a discussion of navy trinkets anywhere, and I found nothing. If this has all ready been suggested, please feel free to direct me to the appropriate thread, and I'll post there.
----------------------------------------
Daynarius
Proud SO of British Bandits on Midnight and avid Daily Doodler
[Nov 3, 2005 10:55:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Re: Admiral Trinket Reply to this Post

I think this would be a nifty idea. :)
http://www.maghtuireadh.org/
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Manannan%27s_Seawolves

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
--------------------------------------------
"It's the damn of a new era!" - Pyn
[Nov 3, 2005 10:56:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Chainmaille

Seeing as trinkets are new, it's not especially surprising that you're the first to think of this. :)

You already do get a captain's jacket and the "Admiral" rank on your stats page; I'm not certain a trinket is necessary. Not that I'd object to adding one, though. One question: what happens to all those people who have already made Admiral?
Derakon - Black Plague on Viridian and Sage
[Nov 3, 2005 10:57:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I like it.

Smythe,
trinkets for everyone!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Nov 3, 2005 10:57:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Resolve

Seems like a good idea to me, assuming the trinket is non-tradeable.

Might as well give the people who invest all that time in the navy something to show for it.
Whitefire wrote: 
I swore I had you locked in when I burned down the house. No matter, I'll get you next time.

[Nov 3, 2005 10:59:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Oh dear God, yes. Can I just say I love this idea?

To expand on it even more, trinkets for each rank of the navy instead of clothes? Or, to cut out the greenies from getting trinkets unnecessarily, just give them out for bold-only Navy ranks (starting at Chief Petty Officer). And, of course, make them non-tradable just like the Apocalypse awards.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Nov 3, 2005 10:59:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Not that I'd object to adding one, though. One question: what happens to all those people who have already made Admiral?

They piss and moan? We point and laugh?

*dives into the bilge to hide*

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Nov 3, 2005 10:59:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

*Brush her jacket*
As an admiral myself.. i must say i think this is a lovely idea

But more than that.. what i would personnaly really liked is a portrait item for admiral only. I love portrait so much...
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[Nov 3, 2005 11:28:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Also a fine idea. :)
I like the little things you can only get for certain things in your portrait.

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Nov 3, 2005 11:31:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

I agree =)

The drudgery between captain and Admiral would drive most pirates insane.

Every 3-4hrs of straight Navy jobbing, your like please at the next league point...then finally it says Admiral. =)

As for grandfather clause, I think it would be cool to have it as a portrait item as well.

The trinket is a cool idea, but less visible because it would be untradeable,
*cough*zombie trinkets*cough* =)

Trinkets that cannot be placed in display cases seem wrong.
[Nov 3, 2005 11:45:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Trinkets that cannot be placed in display cases seem wrong.

They're working on it.

Smythe,
The List, on the wiki

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Nov 3, 2005 11:47:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

RhiannonS wrote: 
*Brush her jacket*
As an admiral myself.. i must say i think this is a lovely idea

But more than that.. what i would personnaly really liked is a portrait item for admiral only. I love portrait so much...

I still like this idea. Trinkets are good too.

Okay...so I had a bit of advantage searching for this one...
It's gingerbread and we love it.
[Nov 3, 2005 12:16:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychoDan

I really like this idea. This is exactly the kind of thing I think should be happening more often with trinkets. Though I'm sure plenty will disagree with me, I feel that the current direction that trinkets are going, as sort of "familiars lite", isn't the right one. Though there are some trinkets suited to being prizes in that fashion, dolls especially, I was hoping that trinkets would show up more as rewards for more unique things, sort of the way skulls work. Of course, it's very early yet into the life of The Trinket, and we've already seen something unique done with them in the form of the zombie apocalypse, so I'll leave any complaining until a few months down the line, if trinkets are still just showing up in the occasional automated tourney.
Sephoris, Senior Officer of the Radical Dreamers
[Nov 3, 2005 12:48:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Hooray! Yet another reward for grinding!

Which isn't to say that I object; just that it's yet another reward for players who can invest a lot of time as opposed to those that are skilled.

Just another sign of the changin' times, I guess.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Nov 3, 2005 1:18:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Which isn't to say that I object; just that it's yet another reward for players who can invest a lot of time as opposed to those that are skilled.

This is an interesting point, truth be told.

I know you aren't saying its all bad...

But is it bad at all?
It certainly seems to be a bit like 'experience grinding'. And that really isn't something we'd want to perpetuate. On the other hand, I suppose there's nothing wrong with dedicating that kind of time....

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Nov 3, 2005 1:55:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Resolve

Yeah, they're grinding. But it doesn't put them any farther ahead than someone who is good at the game and is out pillaging instead.

If they get a free trinket that they can't even trade, it's not like they gain anything but bragging rights. I think they've earned those.

If they wanted a free ship, or a hat that never dusted or something for being an Admiral, then I'd have the same objection as you.

Having a trinket for spending all that time on a navy ship wouldn't bother me in the least, and I imagine it would mean much more to the owner than to any other person in the ocean anyway. I don't pay any mind to current Admirals. It just makes me realize they pissed alot of time away in the navy. :P And if someone wanted the trinket bad enough, it is fully possible for them to earn it, and not terribly hard to do. Yes, it would take time. But only time. They don't even have to be any good at the puzzles, they just need to be able to keep from booching one.
Whitefire wrote: 
I swore I had you locked in when I burned down the house. No matter, I'll get you next time.

[Nov 3, 2005 2:20:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Windgleam

How about expanding on the idea of having some trinkets that are "milestone" rewards... Perhaps having a new one for each bold rank. Thus, you'd get clothes (which are useful until they dust) and a "rank insignia" (that you can always hang on to). I know you've already got a permanent notation for the navy in your lookup, but most people always like to have more things they can show off..

Further expanding on the insignia idea, perhaps having it set to non-tradable and it replaces any previous rank insignia (so that the system doesn't have to keep up with multiple insignias per person) and, if possible, with a time/date stamp in the mouse-over for when you earned it (most likely a problem when it comes to those that have already earned their rank, but they might get a blank one).

Anyway, just throwing ideas out there...
On Viridian: Dougan
Fleet Officer of Britannia
Lord of Royal Britannia
[Nov 3, 2005 2:27:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

You already do get a captain's jacket and the "Admiral" rank on your stats page; I'm not certain a trinket is necessary

Aye he mentions that you get the jacket, but the jacket dusts eventually, he wants something he can show off for all of his Y!PP hisotry. I personally think this is a great idea, we have permanent rewards for reaching the very best in puzzles, why not one for investing many hours to reach the very best in the navy?
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[Nov 3, 2005 2:37:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Seamus wrote: 
But is it bad at all?
It certainly seems to be a bit like 'experience grinding'. And that really isn't something we'd want to perpetuate. On the other hand, I suppose there's nothing wrong with dedicating that kind of time....

I don't want to encourage that sort of behavior. That was always something this game wasn't about. I realize that it sells, and thus permeates to ubiquity, but I don't have to like it.
Fronsac, human.

[Nov 3, 2005 3:09:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I don't know, I am generally against puzzle grinding, but this seems pretty darn minor, it doesn't give you any added abilities and can only be shown off if people click on you (or, post-fix, your display case). A tiny non-tradable crumb to the grinders seems reasonable enough in these circumstances.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Nov 3, 2005 3:27:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daynarius

But aren't the navy rankings in and of themselves incentives for spending time in the navy? Not for everyone, obviously, but it seems like they are to some people. I'll admit it is for me, not because I want to brag to everyone about my navy rank (as if anyone would care), but because when a challenge is presented to me, I tend to get a bit compulsive about finishing that challenge (yes, I'm odd, I readily admit that). And the clothes are all ready a reward system. I just suggested one small addition to that system.

I seem to be getting some mixed messages. It seems to me, from some of the things written in various threads, that memming is not encouraged by the powers that be. But we get a cool globe to hold in a portrait if we get the ocean memmed. Grinding away in the navy is not in the spirit of the game. But if we grind long enough, we get a new title (displayed on our info page for all the world to see), and a shiny new pair of boots (for example). Both of these are presented as behaviors that do not fit with the original intent of the game, yet we get rewarded for engaging in those behaviors. I sense a contradiction.

Thoughts?
Daynarius
Proud SO of British Bandits on Midnight and avid Daily Doodler
[Nov 3, 2005 3:35:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Different people enjoy different things.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Nov 3, 2005 3:42:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Both of these are presented as behaviors that do not fit with the original intent of the game, yet we get rewarded for engaging in those behaviors. I sense a contradiction.

Thoughts?

The Ringers are losing their focus and conviction?

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Nov 3, 2005 3:51:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Okay, then: The promise of income causes even the stoutest heart to reconsider their beliefs. Reply to this Post

Daynarius wrote: 
I sense a contradiction.

Values pale before value.
Fronsac, human.

[Nov 3, 2005 4:00:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

To take it a step further, a trinket for reaching Ultimate or Sublime in a puzzle?

(You could use the same items that they have that you can hold in the portrates for the trinkets, for example a saw for an ultimate or sublime carper)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Nov 3, 2005 5:51:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

To take it a step further, a trinket for reaching Ultimate or Sublime in a puzzle?

I'd say not for Ultimate. I personally fluctuate in some puzzles from day to day. Would I then receive another of the same trinket each and every time I hit ultimate in the puzzle?
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Nov 3, 2005 7:02:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Bifnot

You already get a permanent "trinket" for being an Admiral by having your rank featured on your pirate's info page. Using two fields to display the same accolade is redundant.
[Edit 36 times, last edit by Bifnot at Apr 1, 1863 5:21:07 PM]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bifnot at Nov 3, 2005 7:13:29 PM]
[Nov 3, 2005 7:12:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

You already get a permanent "trinket" for being an Admiral by having your rank featured on your pirate's info page. Using two fields to display the same accolade is redundant.

And while we're at it, we should remove the Captain's Hat, Feathered Hat, and Crown! After all, your status as an Officer or Royal is already listed on your info page, so why have a redundant hat?
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Nov 3, 2005 11:15:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

I personally think if they are going start trinkets they should implement them in a variety of fashions.

Admiral Trinket - Yes
Ultimate Trinket - No
Sublime Trinket - Yes

Why the Admiral and Sublime trinkets and not the Ultimate? Because they represent a state of permanence. Once you acquire them, it does not revert to a lower standing if you are inactive or your skill at the puzzle fails. Ultimates can fluctuate, are based on the performance of others in that puzzle on the ocean, and can take varying times to acquire. Admiral and Sublime are a set number of league points or cycles of the puzzle (I believe it's completed hours when referring to crafting puzzles) and of course are permanent. That's a lot of hours or completed league points and something physical (or as physical as Y!PP gets) like a trinket is not asking much for recognition. Assuming the Devs recode the display cases to take non tradable items such as the Apocalypse trophies then the Admiral and Sublime trinkets can be stored there as quaint little reminders of your lengthy accomplishment. When I walk into someone's home, I am more likely to look at the contents of their display case and see the fun accomplishment trinkets than I am their info page and note it says Admiral.

In summation:
Trinkets for all!
Powdered wigs for others!
Llamas for the brain washed few!
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Nov 3, 2005 11:42:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

Or, perhaps, a trinket the first time you reach Ultimate. Dropping down from Ultimate then getting it back would not get you a new trinket.
I took my own advice.
[Nov 4, 2005 12:40:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 61   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates