• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4787 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Prometheus
OceanMaster

[Midnight] Carpentry Bake-Off - Sunday, October 30th. Win an Octo!

Date: Sunday, October 30th
Time: 12pm - Noon Pacific http://www.worldtimeserver.com

Event Details: Carpentry Bake-Off!

Event Host: Cronos
Participant limit: 120
Number of rounds: 5
Number of leagues per round: 6
Total leagues: 30

- There will be no announcement for this event. About 30 minutes before the start, Cronos will begin jobbing people onto the vessel. Send him a /tell for a job any time after 11:30am Pacific. Remember that there are limited spaces available!
- The ship will be ported at the very beginning and middle of each round.
- Anyone leaving the vessel before the end of the bake-off finishes will forfeit any prizes or presents. While you are on board, we ask that you keep quiet so as not to create distractions.
- Participants are allowed to leave their stations. Anyone using this to be annoying or who makes a general annoyance of themselves will be planked. Participants may not, however, exit their duty station for more than a few seconds at a time; we're testing your puzzling ability over the full set of leagues, not just the first half of each!
- No navigator will be used.
- Each participant will carp six leagues. The ship will have 24 sailors, 24 carpenters, and 12 bilgers at all times.
- Participants are responsible for being at the right place at the right time. We will tell you where you need to be. Get there as quickly as you can so we can get going!
- We expect the five rounds of puzzling to last approximately 4 hours, so please plan accordingly when you join.
- At the end of the last round we will pool all the scores together and rank the top few to determine prizes. Any ties will be broken at that time on a different vessel or navy ship, spectators are welcome to come watch and see who wins as long as they can behave.
- If we run into problems, difficulties or anything that we feel causes an imbalance in the rounds, we will take the 1st place players from each round and do a tiebreaker with them for first prize.

PVP will not be tolerated. Prepare to be boarded, booted and your ship thrown to the ends of the seas without any rum or shot.

Station Capacity is as follows:

C
P S a
i a r B
r i p i
a l e l
t i n g
e n t e
s g r
Type y
/----------|---|---|---|---\
|Sloop | 7 | 3 | 2 | 2 |
|Cutter |12 | 5 | 3 | 2 |
|M. Brig |20 | 6 | 9 | 6 |
|War Brig |30 | 9 | 6 | 4 |
|M.Galleon |45 | 9 |14 |14 |
|W.Frigate |75 |18 |18 |12 |
|G.Frigate |150|30 |24 |16 |
\--------------------------/

Scoring:
- Incredible: 5 pts
- Excellent: 4 pts
- Good: 3 pts
- Fine: 2 pts
- Poor: 1 pt
- Booched/Learning: nada!

Scorekeeping:
- We will try to have at least 2-3 scorekeepers per round, which should account for any mistakes.
- As a secondary check we will try to have someone taking a screenshot log of each duty report so we can recheck any as needed.
- Volunteers will be needed to help keep score. Send Prometheus a PM or e-mail Prometheus@puzzlepirates.com if interested.

Prizes:
Overall 1st - an Octopus in the color of your choice! (No black or white)

2nd -> 10th - pick one! Any tied players may choose the same or different prizes, however, once a prize has been picked it will no longer be available to anyone of a lower place.
- Sloop named <adjective> Carp (you can pick the adjective pending approval)
- Gold or black Boots
- Cleaver (no black or white)
- Chalice (no black or white)
- Female or Male outfit: Swash Jacket/pants/shoes/hat -or- Gown/Corset/Laurel (no black or gold)
- Female or Male Outfit: Stripey shirt/knickers/bandana (any color)
- Limited Edition Ribbon trinket
- A portrait with your favorite Oceanmaster
- Set of maps for the archipelago of your choice (adjacent interarch included)

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Prometheus at Oct 24, 2005 10:38:33 AM]
[Oct 19, 2005 5:49:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Re: [Midnight] Carpentry Bake-Off - Sunday, October 30th. Win an Octo!

Will there be any bonus for being the most incredible person a league? i.e. - Is there an extra point given, or tie-breaker awarded if you were the top incredible in a given league? I believe something of this sort was done in the Cobalt carp bake-off.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Oct 19, 2005 6:29:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

Actually, the Cobalt carp bake-off was run on the same point system, and there were no bonuses for being at the top. When four of us tied with 30 points at the end of six leagues, we moved to a navy ship to continue. After a few leagues, we went to a sudden-death "one league and restart" competition.
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Oct 19, 2005 6:39:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
tgreyfox

AAAARGH!!!!

Finally, a familiar contest based on my best station AND I'M MOVING THAT WEEKEND!

*cries*
Rusvul
Senior Officer, British Sea Power (Colonial division)
Occasional Looterati government type

Rumsfeld wrote: 
I was drinking one night, and when I woke up I was wearing Pink and Yellow and had a crown on me head.

[Oct 19, 2005 8:02:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Can two players with the same IP enter? If not I will bow out and allow Polly since she is by far better. Or could we puzzle at the same time and both enter?
Peanutswench
------
[Oct 19, 2005 10:59:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Will there be any bonus for being the most incredible person a league? i.e. - Is there an extra point given, or tie-breaker awarded if you were the top incredible in a given league? I believe something of this sort was done in the Cobalt carp bake-off.

This was done at the Viridian bakeoff series.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Oct 20, 2005 3:37:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Time: 12pm Pacific

I presume by 12pm you mean noon? It can be a bit confusing, sometimes.
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Oct 20, 2005 3:38:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

Daylight savings time is that weekend.. Will this be 12pm before or after the change?

/em grabs Rocky, gives him a big 'ol smooch and practices up
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Oct 20, 2005 7:05:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Arr! Some good questions here.

Can two players with the same IP enter? If not I will bow out and allow Polly since she is by far better. Or could we puzzle at the same time and both enter?

Aye, that should be fine, although you're going to want to both compete in the same round as each other.

I presume by 12pm you mean noon?

Yeppers

Daylight savings time is that weekend.. Will this be 12pm before or after the change?

Daylight Saving Time is at 2am on the 30th for the United States so that would make the bake-off well after. If you want to be absolutely sure you can always confirm with http://www.worldtimeserver.com.

Will there be any bonus for being the most incredible person a league?

There will be no duty report bonus, scoring will be as posted.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Prometheus at Oct 24, 2005 10:37:29 AM]
[Oct 20, 2005 11:56:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Will there be any bonus for being the most incredible person a league?

There will be no duty report bonus, scoring will be as posted.

How are ties for first broken? Sudden death? 10 octupi?
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Oct 21, 2005 11:21:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

If it's as the Cobalt bakeoff, 6 leagues total score, followed by 1 league sudden death between the survivors.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Oct 21, 2005 11:28:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
godsgirl2480

It sounds so great and I wish i could join. Unfortunately church does not end till noon. No chance of starting it later I suppose?
I play on Midnight!

~Ginnypotter
Former Captain of GotKids (now an SO)
current Queen of Seeds of God

~Proud mum to two Princesses:
Emily 8/26/02 and
Rachel 6/7/06
[Oct 29, 2005 9:53:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarlettnite

Will a disconnect be considered leaving your post? I usually have warning when my dialup is dc'ing me, but not always. And should I say if that is happening if I'm aware or not say anything?
[Oct 30, 2005 9:01:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teowawki

I think this link might work better.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_US-CA.aspx?y=2005&mo=10&d=30&h=12&mn=0
[Oct 30, 2005 10:51:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarlettnite

wish my question had been answered, I was scared to enter :(
[Oct 30, 2005 11:13:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sunnylc2

Can the winners be posted?
Sunny
[Oct 30, 2005 11:02:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Aye, I couldn't make it in the end so I'd really like to know who won, and also whether or not they got any 'Excellents' on the way so I can have some idea of how I might have faired! (First league incredibles seem a lot harder here in Midnight than in Cobalt).
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Oct 31, 2005 2:40:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

4 people scored 29/30 points (1 first league incred, 1 first league excellent)
6 people scored 28
I forget who those 6 people were... but here are the standings for the 6 league sudden death, between the top 4 people. which for a twist included a +1 to whoever was on top of the duty report.

1. Myself, (snakeseyes) 29 points.
2. Nuemenor, 28 points.
3. Ryanne, 27 points
4. Luir, 26 points

Keep in mind we ported about 3 times though ;)

Thankyou to all who participated, and a big hug to those in the top 4, thankyou for the competition, and I bid you good luck in the next bakeoff.

I have chosen my baby kraken to be aqua, matching my current midnight attire, though I have not named him, as he will not be mine for much longer.
He will be sold to Ryanne, regardless of any higher bids placed on the cutiepie. =]
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[Oct 31, 2005 3:22:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

I'm still trying to understand how some who doesn't subscribe won a familar.
[Oct 31, 2005 5:27:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Hampster

I don't get why there's a problem.

She out-carped everyone else.. end of story.
Kivo - for the lady, sir?
Her sugar daddy would.
[Oct 31, 2005 6:17:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Yep. Anyone can win them.

Someone who is subscribed is not regarded as a better player or a more worthy owner of a familiar over someone who plays a doubloon ocean.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Oct 31, 2005 9:17:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates