• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 902
Posts: 902   Pages: 31   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 86478 times and has 901 replies Next Thread
Varthlokkur

Re: *Hyperventilates* Housing on ice! Reply to this Post

It's both. Separate check boxes for hearties, crew, flag, or anyone to enter, plus the ability to add room-mates (in a way that parallels shop managers).
----------------------------------------
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Aug 5, 2005 1:56:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Here's some screenies:

Entry Policy:

Roommates:

I don't think we know yet how many roommates you'll be able to have for each size home. I've only heard of being able to have one for most sizes, but the plural tab indicates that more are possible at the higher end of housing.

As far as the entry policy, this is what I'd personally like to see:

[size=10](Photoshopped, not an actual screenshot)

Not sure what kind of complexity that coding would involve, but it might be a problem with how many houses get listed. I definitely think homes you have access to (even if it's someone who's there), should show up differently in the list. Not sure about anybody else, but mis-click knocking on random people's doors is becoming a real problem for me at least.
Shark
Mascot of Ransack Marauders
[Aug 5, 2005 4:17:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Thanks for the screenies Shark, you rock.

In regards to that implementation....that's just...wow. Good work devs. I'm conflicted on something though. As much as I want this get to Midnight, I want to see it left on Ice to see how many more cool new things they can come up with to slam onto Midnight all at once. :)

The only things I can think of that haven't come to fruition (which I know have been mentioned before, but I think are important enough to comment on again) --

1) Make all housing cheaper; cut all prices in half of what they are now to make them more realistic. At current prices, you'll have maybe a few villas, a few mansions, and possibly 1 or 2 estates on Midnight...and I highly doubt you'll see any of those on Cobalt for a long, long time.

That'd be a fun statistic to pull from your database though...how much poe does the average pirate have on them?

2) Dressers should hold clothes like the wardrobe. There is another shelf available which should hold mugs as well. Money boxes and chests should be able to hold poe (and other inventory such as whisking potions or anything else that goes in the Misc category on your Booty panel).
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 5, 2005 4:55:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

Hey, don't underestimate Cobalt! Plenty of rich people here too - not Midnight rich, but not exactly poor either.
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Aug 5, 2005 5:00:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Hm... I was wondering, If the first shack on your home island is free, but your home island doesn't have a shack, what happens then? Can you get a free shack anywhere else? If it's just tied to the home island, could it be changed so that your first free shack anywhere is free?
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Aug 5, 2005 5:05:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

VPeric wrote: 
Hey, don't underestimate Cobalt! Plenty of rich people here too - not Midnight rich, but not exactly poor either.

Oh I know there are rich people there, but seriously, you know people who will be spending 640,000 poe on the estate? I like Cobalt and play there occassionally, but most of the high-end players seem unlikely to spend that much poe on something like that. Just a stereotype, but still.

I also don't want to see housing brought to production oceans with 1 price, have a bunch of people drop 180k on a villa, then have the devs realize that no one's buying the expensive housing and cut the prices. That'd piss off a lot of people...
Epimetheus
Retired

[Aug 5, 2005 5:06:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Actually, have you seen the amount of gold outfits and black outfits? not to mention black painted ships? There's quite a number of those so housing isn't going to be much of a problem I bet.

Rappak
Someone who is considering buying a shack/house on every island to furnish his multiple outfits.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Aug 5, 2005 5:24:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trevorius

rixation wrote: 
VPeric wrote: 

Oh I know there are rich people there, but seriously, you know people who will be spending 640,000 poe on the estate?

For many (myself included) that will depend entirely on whether this gets implemented:

RaelShark wrote: 

(Shark is officially my new hero, by the way.)
Trevorius - Mostly retired, now with more inn-tart!
Cobalt Cerulean Ocean
Mostly lurking since 5/15/04
[Aug 5, 2005 6:32:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://raiders.tbobjohnson.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

A couple of things - first, in my version of the interface it would also be great to have an privacy on/off button on the Room tab on the right as well, kind of like the jobber toggle. This has probably been requested already, but it would help a lot for private meetings and times you just don't want to be disturbed. When enabled, it would require anyone (except your roommate of course) to knock before entering.

Under this setup, you could grant access to your home to any number of people, whether you're there or not, but still have the option to restrict people from entering. The setting could even persist whether you were logged on or not, like locking a ship or only for as long as you're in there, like a job posting. I'm not sure which would be best.

Also I thought of the fact that it would make sense for the checkboxes to be either/or. So if you check a box on one side it clears the box on the other. You can't check both in other words.
Shark
[Aug 5, 2005 7:31:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
Blackguard

RaelShark wrote: 
Also I thought of the fact that it would make sense for the checkboxes to be either/or. So if you check a box on one side it clears the box on the other. You can't check both in other words.

Then radio buttons might be more suitable.

For each guest type: Never / When Home / Always.
Faire winds.
[Aug 5, 2005 7:45:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    zedexguy [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Blackguard wrote: 
RaelShark wrote: 

Then radio buttons might be more suitable.

For each guest type: Never / When Home / Always.

Yeah I was thinking that too. That would probably be better.

Also, I changed my mind about whether it'd be good to persist a privacy toggle when you're offline. To keep people out while you're gone you can just turn off all the access rights. The privacy setting should probably work more like a job posting, where it comes down when you leave the building.
Shark
[Aug 5, 2005 7:47:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

How many roommates to an estate?
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 5, 2005 8:07:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Anything anytime means keeping all those "anytime" houses loaded all the time. I imagine most people would have "anytime" checked for at least one category. Big mess.
[Aug 5, 2005 8:58:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

RaelShark wrote: 

Not going to happen. It's not in the plan to ever allow randoms to enter houses when the owner (or a roommate) isn't around. If you want to have a 24-hour party, go buy an inn.
[Aug 5, 2005 9:00:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Peghead wrote: 
Not going to happen. It's not in the plan to ever allow randoms to enter houses when the owner (or a roommate) isn't around. If you want to have a 24-hour party, go buy an inn.

Can you clarify as to whether we could at least turn it on for flagmates? Or is this a blanket restriction? Thanks.
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Aug 5, 2005 9:06:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

I think what people are looking for is crew housing, aka hideouts. Where all the crew can enter anytime, without the owner or a roommate having to be home.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Aug 5, 2005 9:07:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RaelShark

Barrister wrote: 
Peghead wrote: 

Can you clarify as to whether we could at least turn it on for flagmates? Or is this a blanket restriction? Thanks.

Or even just for crewmates? I definitely don't see giving access to any random person at any time as having much use, but what many of us are basically pushing towards is something resembling a crew- (or even flag-) house.

Edit: yeah, what Pleun said
Shark
[Aug 5, 2005 9:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.ransackmarauders.com [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

fanta wrote: 
I think what people are looking for is crew housing, aka hideouts. Where all the crew can enter anytime, without the owner or a roommate having to be home.

We may add that in the future, but for now an owner has to be around.
[Aug 5, 2005 9:13:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MagicalSweet

I would like to know when the houses would be coming out on Virdian. If anybody knows ^^ I'd be very gladly to know. :)
[Aug 5, 2005 9:23:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

It will come when all the bugs are worked out.
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Aug 5, 2005 9:30:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

MagicalSweet wrote: 
I would like to know when the houses would be coming out on Virdian. If anybody knows ^^ I'd be very gladly to know. :)

As soon as they're ready.

They are only on the test server now.

When they are ready, they will be implemented on the 3 main oceans.

I KNEW Id be sniped, but had to try anyway!
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Aug 5, 2005 9:30:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lokonzo

Fiddler, a couple of pages back, wrote: 
From the housing thread

[size=18]Semi-Official page 28 FAQ
In order to stop the unnecassary inflation of this thread, here is the semi-official FAQ, updated as necessary and posted every [size=7]couple of pages frickin' page. Please search through this thread before making requests. Also, check out the Ice documentation and the Wiki for further information on housing and furniture.

How many kinds of houses are there?
Ten

Will houses be available on Viridian/Cobalt/Midnight?
Yes. Ice is a testing ocean, where bugs in code can be worked out before they move to the main oceans. Anything you see on Ice will eventually make it to all the other oceans.

When will it be available on Viridian/Cobalt/Midnight?
When it's finished. This is a big change and it takes a lot of testing. Eventually it'll be released. We may know in advance, we may not. Be patient.

How do I get on Ice? It doesn't show up on the list of oceans!
Ice requires a seperate client because it is running a different version of the game code than the other oceans. This post from Cleaver details how to download and install the Ice client. Despite what it says, Ice is limited to current subscibers and anyone who has purchased doubloons from the Ringers in the past. Doublooner access was granted in the last couple weeks.

How much will a shack/house/estate/any kind of house cost?
There will be an initial "purchase" cost for every type of housing. The list of known and projected costs can be found here: http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=390879#390879
Unlike businesses, there is no weekly rent for housing. If you sell your rooms back, you will receive half of the purchase price back.

Can I get a pig/turtle or one of those nifty little Egyptian things/treasures?
Right now special props such as pigs, turtles, and the treasures you can see inside of palaces are only available as prizes from OM tourneys.

Can I see what the inside of a house looks like before I buy it?
Not inside the game, no. However, there are many many people who have posted interior pictures of the various housing types. Look at this thread, this thread, and in this thread.

Can the chests be made to hold PoE/commodities?
It has been speculated & proposed many times that the chest items allow your home to hold PoE and/or commodities, like the hold of a ship. It seems likely, but there doesn't appear to be any Ringer confirmation yet.

Does the sword rack/mug shelf/wardrobe stop decay of those items?
Yes, though apparently the act of placing an item in and out of storage will cause it to decay a little. Cleaver confirmed it all in this post.

If I place a sword rack/mug shelf/wardrobe on a ship, who can access it?
Currently, any officer in your crew can access storage you place on your ship. Only by locking your ship can you prevent access to your storage.
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=389900#389900

If I place a sword/mug/article of clothing on/in a sword rack/mug shelf/wardrobe, can I move or remove that storage unit with the items still inside?
Yes, you can both move and remove that storage unit. If you only move it, the items stored within will stay inside. Same if you remove it from the scene and then re-place it. If you remove it and then close the scene without placing it back in, both the storage unit and the items inside will be deposited in your Booty panel.

How do I paint my house?
As houses currently have no hold, the only available way to paint your rooms are through the automatic purchase of paint via the paintbrush. This means that you will be at the mercy of dockside pricing on the island your home sits on. On Medium and Outpost islands without an apothecary, paint will only be available if it is being sold from the palace or fort.

Can you tell me what is required to make lacquer/varnish/a table/a sword rack/etc...?
Read the Wiki.

Will I be able to set a list of friends who can come in and out of my house any time without invitations?
Yes. As of 3 August, you can set a list of roommates who have full access to your rooms, even when you're not logged on or located in the rooms. These roommates have full access, including the ability to move or remove furniture and to take and add from storage. In addition, you can check off various groups who can enter your rooms without invitation while you are standing in them: hearties, flag members, crew members, or everyone.

Will island-owning flags have to construct the various housing types themselves?
Yes.

Is there any benefit to constructing housing for an island-owning flag?
A shack will apparently be necessary to have greenies start on an island. Beyond that, no financial incentives have been announced or discovered.

Edit: Still more questions answered. Maybe we should make the search button blink. Or a popup. Or something.

I'll post this. Hope it helps.
Lokonzo- Viridian and Sage
British Battalion.
European Revolution.
Other words here.
[Aug 5, 2005 9:34:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lokonzo

It's a double post, but:

In the Announcement Forum Cleaver wrote: 
[size=18]Housing to Ship next Weds 10th August!

We are in the final stages of finishing off Housing's initial release, and hope to have it out on the production oceans next Weds the 10th of August. Be the first to buy an Estate! Okay, maybe a Villa. At the very least, everyone can Shack up!

Until then you can continue to test on Ice and hyperventilate away!

cheers mates!

- Cleaver

British Battalion.
European Revolution.
Other words here.
[Aug 5, 2005 10:37:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
McStew721

I haven't been following this topic (and the related ones) very closely since the last release.

i see that people have been compiling screen shots of the interiors of all the sizes of houses, but I haven't been able to find the interior of a Mansion. If anyone has shots of that posted, can someone point me in that direction?

If not, I'd be willing to take screens if an OM were to let me inside one on Ice.
McStew - Llyr's Pact, Carpe Noctem
[Aug 5, 2005 11:09:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    McStew721 [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Anyone know if the sword racks on the brigs usable?
Wellingtion - Currently living on Malachite
[Aug 5, 2005 11:14:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

I'm angry that I will be away until next Saturday. I think Cleaver intended this so that I would miss out on the fun. Conspiracy! And he's addicted to pirates, OMG that's the definition of the name Cleaver.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 5, 2005 11:22:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
McStew721

Changelog
2005-08-06
--Doubloon players can access test server only if they've purchased at least 24 doubloons in the past month.
--Added /party command, which allows you to buy an advertisement on the island's notice board for parties at your building.
--Added ability to chest furniture to store poe.
--Removed the ability for governors to arrange furniture outdoors on islands (until we have appropriate limitations).

McStew - Llyr's Pact, Carpe Noctem
[Aug 5, 2005 12:00:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    McStew721 [Link]  Go to top 
crazyluigi

So can we have the list of everything that is needed to build the housing and furnisher bazaars before the release on Wednesday?
Crazyluigi

Officer and Navigator of the Cartographers
[Aug 5, 2005 12:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lokonzo

McStew721 wrote: 

Changelog
2005-08-06
--Doubloon players can access test server only if they've purchased at least 24 doubloons in the past month.
--Added /party command, which allows you to buy an advertisement on the island's notice board for parties at your building.
--Added ability to chest furniture to store poe.
--Removed the ability for governors to arrange furniture outdoors on islands (until we have appropriate limitations).

Darn! I was wondering why I couldn't play anymore..... That update sucks for me....
British Battalion.
European Revolution.
Other words here.
[Aug 5, 2005 12:10:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Nemo wrote: 
Anything anytime means keeping all those "anytime" houses loaded all the time. I imagine most people would have "anytime" checked for at least one category. Big mess.

Then again, you could just have a handle class cover object.

House has an "anytime" setting? OK, your array of active houses doesn't contain 500 housing items, it contains 500 handles. The HouseHandle class would know how to return the name, and if someone wanted to enter the house, it would fault in the actual house from the database.

Direct benefit? The rest of the code would only need to refer to the HouseHandle, which would never need to become invalidated when the house was unloaded. Instead, the object pointed to by the HouseHandle would change from RealHouse to PlaceholderHouse.

(Gad, done this in Objective C enough. All of the database layer was based around this sort of technique.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 5, 2005 3:14:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 902   Pages: 31   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates