• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 51
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4829 times and has 50 replies Next Thread
Faulkston

Re: Sword racks finally Reply to this Post

Of course if the only weapon or mug you're carrying is a stick or wooden mug, when they decay, they turn into the same item - just like rags (except they may change color).

Faulkston,
disturbed by the lack of faith in the Force er symmetry between swords, clothing and mugs
----------------------------------------
[Jul 31, 2005 5:07:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Aye but people did suggest that if you have things in your storage furniture, you'd be equiped with that. I don't know if that is feasible. But maybe you could also make the item decay when you swap it for another item, i stead of when you log on?
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Jul 31, 2005 5:14:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Instant whisking of items from yer home to yer inventory? I can see how this could be seen as flattening the world much like the global purse was said to have done.

Faulkston,
shrugging
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Jul 31, 2005 5:17:19 AM]
[Jul 31, 2005 5:17:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Silly question, and I might just have missed the answer up above, but...

Has it actually been confirmed that sword racks, mug shelves, and wardrobes retard decay like a tailor's rack does? Did I miss a statement by a dev or OM somewhere, or has anyone been able to observe the effect yet?
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jul 31, 2005 5:30:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

I guess I have no absolute confirmation, but aye that is what they do. Otherwise you could just carry them instead.
[Jul 31, 2005 5:32:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Can't say if they halt decay altogether yet, but it sure slows it down. I had a bandana i got from the pollywog and one i got in the navy. They were both old. I put the first one in my wardrobe, and wore the second one. That one just crumbled on me, and the first one is still in my wardrobe. Also the rags i started in, are still in one piece in the wardrobe as well.
Pleun,

[Jul 31, 2005 6:13:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
btubbs

Albrat wrote: 
but having "cheap" storage would mean you just have to goto your shack at the end of the day swap for the stick and then drop you Cleaver into the rack.... log on and drop the stick and pick up the cleaver....

I agree with you that the behavior you describe should be discouraged. What if this worked like the free trials for greenies work? How there's a certain number of non-contiguous days. Any day you log in counts as a day, but you can play as much as you want on that day. So, if you take the sword off the rack at all on Tuesday, regardless of how many times or for how long, Tuesday counts as a full day of wear.

As to the concerns of stall owners, it's difficult to say what all the effects will be. I anticipate I will buy more clothes. Instead of a couple outfits that I can comfortably afford to replace when they dust, I may buy more and/or more expensive outfits. Like something in flag colors for flag events, or something black, because I can. Similarly I may buy more swords, for whatever reason, because there's less downside.

You could choose to look at racks as a loss of income, a "people are trying to get out of replacing every outfit/sword every X months", and this is true, but this could be offset or surpassed by "items that people never would have bought otherwise"
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Items do decay when you move them on and off the rack. As of right now, I don't think that they decay when on the rack, but that may change. We'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly.
[Jul 31, 2005 5:01:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

btubbs wrote: 
You could choose to look at racks as a loss of income, a "people are trying to get out of replacing every outfit/sword every X months", and this is true, but this could be offset or surpassed by "items that people never would have bought otherwise"

I suspect people will tend toward the latter. Back on Azure, when item decay did not exist, a lot of people had special outfits for events. When item decay came in near the end of beta on Midnight, it was not worth it to maintain outfits for special events because of the added cost and the fact that you'd probably only be able to wear the clothes once or twice for the reason they were purchased for before they dusted. But that's just my 2 cents.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 31, 2005 5:12:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarblac

If I put a sword rack or wardrobe on a ship, who will be able to use it? Is it possible for the owner of the wardrobe to say clothes are 'for display only' ?

Basically, I want to turn my nicely painted frigate into home, but I don't want crew members / jobbers to be able to steal clothes.
Enoch, Captain of Single Malt, on Cobalt
Royal of Keepers of the Light
[Jul 31, 2005 5:20:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

Har! Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
Items do decay when you move them on and off the rack. As of right now, I don't think that they decay when on the rack, but that may change. We'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly.

Like if you take an item off or on a rack it hurts it a little in addition to the regular decay? Or is that wrong?

Slower decay while on a rack seems like it would get weird depending on how long the decay periods are (calculated in days, hours, mins, etc.) Like maybe you have it on for 5 mins, off for 30 mins, on for 15 mins, etc. Although I'm probably thinking into that too hard lol
==Gameboy, nerd of the Seas==
Those are some nice pants.

Poseidon says, "then tell me THAT ONE!! PWEESE"
[Jul 31, 2005 5:28:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Thunderbird wrote: 
btubbs wrote: 

I suspect people will tend toward the latter. Back on Azure, when item decay did not exist, a lot of people had special outfits for events. When item decay came in near the end of beta on Midnight, it was not worth it to maintain outfits for special events because of the added cost and the fact that you'd probably only be able to wear the clothes once or twice for the reason they were purchased for before they dusted. But that's just my 2 cents.

Yeah, i think so too. Eventually, when they are no longer broke from buying housing and furniture. ;)

Cleaver wrote: 

Aw, so changing your outfit often will hurt it? :(

Scarblac wrote: 
If I put a sword rack or wardrobe on a ship, who will be able to use it? Is it possible for the owner of the wardrobe to say clothes are 'for display only' ?

Basically, I want to turn my nicely painted frigate into home, but I don't want crew members / jobbers to be able to steal clothes.

There's no on display, it works mostly like with maps on a ship, you can toss items in or take them out, that's it. On an unlocked ship any officer can take it out, according to this post, so you'd have to lock your ship to prevent people to have access.
Pleun,

[Jul 31, 2005 6:17:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

It should be fine to just have it decay when moved into/out of storage.... after all, if it isn't moving into/out of storage, it isn't getting used anyway, so you reap little to no benefit from the lack of decay.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Jul 31, 2005 6:59:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Zenshu

How about this: I have an outfit that will decay in one month. When it does I buy another one
(at the moment it makes no sense to have to outfits, cause one of them just won't get enough use).

Say instead I have 2 outfits and I wear them alternately. After 2 months they still dust,
so I've spent exactly the same amount over exactly the same time frame.

How would that affect the economy any differently to buying them one at a time?
Pario, sideline heckler of Virtute et Armis.
[Jul 31, 2005 8:48:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
theosophyx

barrelmonkey wrote: 
ihope127 wrote: 
Shivver wrote: 
Now there's an old-time gamer... ♥

I only started a couple months ago. It *started* as an old-time game ;-) but being a rougelike doesn't make it old :-)

In fact I heard of an overly new one called Chazm...

And I think the only maximum number of items that can be on a rack is the number in your inventory >:-)

My google skills have failed me, what game is this? >_>'

As awesome as swordracks and (I guess) mug racks are, I don't really have any use for it. I guess I might hold some sticks on the sword rack. I'm sure this'll be great for a lot of people though. The warbrobe will be fun at least. I can buy tons of clothes and just put them on there to store for all of eternity. You never know, maybe something will make them go up in value.

Nethack, I think.
Jaarvus - Midnight
Ex-Governor of Ostreum
Officer of Dioses y Demonios
Kapow - Hunter
[Aug 1, 2005 1:18:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
runnings_fun

What if racks were used primarily for storage of excess items pirates couldn't hold. For instance, I don't see it quite realistic that a pirate can hold 15 swords 15 different outifts. Perhaps a limit as too how much of anything I pirate could realistically hold and have the home racks for storing anything. The items there could decay slower but rapidly when moving items on and off the rack. I would see this as only being for housing and currently leaving any current/new shop racks as a no decay holding place.
A Ptolmaic Overlord Production

Sadly, I believe Ptolemy is correct.

[Aug 1, 2005 10:55:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drfeetseconds [Link]  Go to top 
Allura

These are purely storage items, right? Not for selling, ala the tailor's rack?
Allura, Ambassador & Senior Officer of Port Authority
Sailing the Viridian Ocean
[Aug 1, 2005 11:27:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://JoannaHurley.livejournal.com    AlluraUni    AlluraUni [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Allura wrote: 
These are purely storage items, right? Not for selling, ala the tailor's rack?

Correct. Other people can't even see what's in it. Well, unless it's on an unlocked ship, but then they can just take the stuff as well. It's like the way you put maps on a ship, you can drag stuff in and out, that's it.
Pleun,

[Aug 1, 2005 11:39:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Beautymaus

I think it would be nice if there would be a slow and a fast decay. So every item deays maybe 10% of what it does now. So if u buy something and put it on ur rack and never take it away it crumbles after 10*the time it crumbles when u use it.
When you wear an item it should crumble as it does now, but this should nto depend on logging on and of, but on the time you wear it.
This way working clothes would get a use, you could have several outfits and it would not be wasting poe.
[Aug 2, 2005 12:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    113262929 [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

What I'd like to see in racks (sword and clothing): The ability to have the contents tied to an "area".

Example: A ship has many scenes. A ship may have a sword rack. Anyone can take a sword out of the rack, and keep it as they move around the ship. Leaving the ship means the sword goes back to the rack.

Example: A house may have as many as 11 scenes. Costumes may be taken out of the closet for the party, but when you leave, you put them back.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 3, 2005 12:40:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Cleaver wrote: 

I'm not sure about them not decaying on the rack. I put on a good bandana and it turned old. I also had 2 bandana's about the same age, i wore one bandana, that crumbled a couple of days ago, and the other i kept on the rack. I just took it off, and it crumbled on next log on. So seems to me currently it only prevents it from crumbling not from aging.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of having storage. If it's supposed not to age then that is broken.
Pleun,

[Aug 3, 2005 9:33:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 51   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates