• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1934 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
mr_googol

Chat / Emote suggestion Reply to this Post

Ok, I love it. Typing lol as the first thing in most in-game channels makes you emote, like "/me laughs". That's all good. But, I think an "and says, ''"Would be a good addition. I'd much rather "lol good one " be "Haradore laughs and says, 'good one'" rather than, "Haradore laughs good one" Feedback?

Edit: I also propose a ~ command, so that "~lol" returns "lol" and "~/me does stuff" returns "/me does stuff" and even "~~lol" gets "~lol"
----------------------------------------
Haradore

Resident/former resident of Byrne/Beta/Alpha/Winter Solstice/Guava/Delta/Dragon's Nest/Sakejima/Lincoln/Greenwich/Admiral/Quetzal
[Jun 7, 2005 1:25:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Chat / Emote suggestion Reply to this Post

Rather than typing: lol and says, 'good one'?

What if I want: piratename laughs maniacally? Under your proposed change, I couldn't type for instance: lol maniacally. That would result in: piratename laughs and says, 'maniacally' when I really wanted: piratename laughs maniacally.

Faulkston,
tagged out
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Jun 7, 2005 1:32:23 AM]
[Jun 7, 2005 1:32:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

But that's double-edged, mate. Just as I can type "and says," Ye can just say "/me laughs manically" I guess it boils down to which is more used. =/
Haradore

Resident/former resident of Byrne/Beta/Alpha/Winter Solstice/Guava/Delta/Dragon's Nest/Sakejima/Lincoln/Greenwich/Admiral/Quetzal
[Jun 7, 2005 1:33:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Somehow I don't believe the Ringers want a specific way to disable the mogrification filter as it's supposed to piratify speech. Besides people already do get around the filter by typing things like l.o.l.

Faulkston,
double-edged? Maybe more like six of one, half dozen of another
[Jun 7, 2005 1:37:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

Aye, that's true. Could it be modified to do it only if it is not something that is counted as a "bad word" and only on the first set of characters before the first space? Cause you just gotta admit that lol looks better than l.o.l :P
Haradore

[Jun 7, 2005 1:39:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Oddly enough curse words (though not some slurs which never get sent) do have an option to be filtered or not. Probably so that private conversations away from public areas can be... freer.

I can't argue with your last point.

Faulkston,
l.o.l. ;-) :-P :-)
[Jun 7, 2005 1:52:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Speaking of that infernal filter...

Any way "u" could become "ye" and "r" could become "are"? I think those changes are long overdue. Certainly more overdue than "gay" becoming "happy." (There are STILL gay NPPs, but I can't say their names.)
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jun 7, 2005 1:59:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

That would create obstacles, becase u and r are sometimes meant to say u and r, not always you and are. They have brb = be right back, and another I can't remember, and proably more I've not heard of... becasue those are pretty much always abbreviations.

Edit: Well, I've run into an NPP called "Fat Fanny" .... they'd need to fix that first :P
Haradore

[Jun 7, 2005 2:01:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

When do you say "u" alone in a sentence, and NOT mean "you?"

Well, other than spelling something out with spaces in between, but why would you need to do that?

Same with "r"...?
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jun 7, 2005 2:08:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Here be the fanny debate (that just sounds wrong):
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=12025

Faulkston,
link
[Jun 7, 2005 2:09:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

Hrm, I forget the name, but it started with a u/r.... I'm also sure more instances turn up in everyday civilized conversation.
Haradore

[Jun 7, 2005 2:10:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

You mean Ur which is not just for ziggurat enthusiasts anymore?

Faulkston,
stepping up the pyramid sides
[Jun 7, 2005 2:12:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

emerson wrote: 
When do you say "u" alone in a sentence, and NOT mean "you?"

It's common shorthand for "University", as in "U Mass Boston".

Same with "r"...?

R. Daneel Olivaw?

Yeah, I'm reaching.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Jun 7, 2005 3:32:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cynestria

Squashbuckle wrote: 
Speaking of that infernal filter...

Any way "u" could become "ye" and "r" could become "are"? I think those changes are long overdue. Certainly more overdue than "gay" becoming "happy." (There are STILL gay NPPs, but I can't say their names.)

I'd argue quite the reverse, and say that taking the stupid thing *out* is long overdue.

If *profanity* is something people can choose whether or not they have filtered, why exactly is "brb" so hideous that it's forced?

I've already been forced by the stupid thing to thank people when I've been trying to break a word out into syllables, which was more than a little annoying. I can just see trying to tell someone where you go to school, but the game not allowing you to say the U whatever. That's up there with a board I used to post on having the word filters set so high that you couldn't post the day "Saturday" because it contained "turd". It's just silly.
"u devil in m y heart space" -- Minsiem

Also not Erfan
[Jun 7, 2005 4:22:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

as in "U Mass Boston"

As a former UMass student, I can assure you that no one separates the U from the Mass like that. However, I can see the problems if someone were talking about Man U football, or U of A or something like that.

Still, is there a time that r to are is bad? I would not want to turn ur into anything, since, well, JamesofUr may run into problems.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jun 7, 2005 4:50:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cynestria

r would stop me from singing spontaneous (insert random letter here) is for (insert random activity here) songs for anything that started with the letter r. :(

Not that that's a widespread usage, but it would make *me* a sad tomato.

And, as I mentioned, I just think the auto-parsing of these things without any way to turn it off if you think it's godawful annoying (like, say, I do) is lame.
"u devil in m y heart space" -- Minsiem

Also not Erfan
[Jun 7, 2005 5:31:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
snakebit

i don't think "lol" should mean "Snakebit laughs and says" because i bet alot of people would use lol for 'snakebit laughs' than for 'snakebit laughs and says'
also chat filters don't always work, i was on a dock in cobalt and quite a few greenies started cursing by not spelling properly :-(
-Snakebit
Officer of Black Lightning
/tell Snakebit Ahoy!
Talking to oneself is a sign of impending insanity.
/tell Snakebit why do you say that?
[Jun 7, 2005 10:48:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

There'd be separate replacement text for "lol" and "lol" followed by a space and more words.

Faulkston,
it'd work - just more mogrification patterns
[Jun 7, 2005 10:56:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Starfaller

*BUMP*

[size=7]Ducks as I know Cyn is gonna hit me for this post

Since ty and tks and tx(I think?) all translate into piratey speech as Thank ye, is there anyway we can get one for yw(yer welcome)? I'd also love to have one for hb(hurry back)too but that may be pushing it. The reason I ask is because I often respond with yw when I am thanked and it makes pirates go "huh?" so I have to end up typing it out anyway. Making it more piratey would be ultimately way cool, too! Aye, I know about the np(no problem) one but I've never responded to a thank you with no problem.
Synful
Looseweed wrote: 

YPP bout fun. No bout ego

[Jul 14, 2005 7:23:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Synful62 [Link]  Go to top 
popeye09

Starfaller wrote: 
... is there anyway we can get one for yw(yer welcome)?

I vote for "Harrrr! Ye are indeed more welcome than a flagon o' grog is to a parched pirate!"
[Jul 14, 2005 8:10:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates