• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18174 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
rixation

Re: [Updated] Ship sizes Reply to this Post

MrFisherman wrote: 
OK, I'm waiting...

Done. Updated the first post in the thread with the new chart as well as fixed a few informational bits. Anyone else think this should be in the Links to Everything uberthread?
----------------------------------------
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 8, 2005 11:58:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

rixation wrote: 
Anyone else think this should be in the Links to Everything uberthread?

Suggest it there to supplement/replace the existing ship sizes thread:
Ships Types resource, listing Stations, Capacities, etc... (http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=4723)

Faulkston,
current events
[May 9, 2005 1:38:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

I don't think everything's right in your "sinking" table, by the way... You might want to make one section for SF 'maxing' and another for maxing the damage meter.

Pillage Details:        Sinking Details: 
Ship: Small: Med: Large: Small: Med: Large:
Sloop 6 4 3 10 6.66 5
Cutter 7.5 5 3.75 12.5 8.33 6.25
Merchant B 12 8 6 20 13.33 10
War Brig 15 10 7.5 25 16.66 12.5
Merchant G 18 12 9 30 20 15
War Frig 30 20 15 50 33.33 25
Grand Frig 36 24 18 60 40 30

-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[May 9, 2005 8:20:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

AySz88 wrote: 
I don't think everything's right in your "sinking" table, by the way...
Aye, I booched that one. Should be fixed now. Didn't find the different values for sinking/maxing until right before I left work. I'm still not entirely sure they're accurate, so if more people could confirm, that would be great. :)
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 9, 2005 9:04:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sundancer

I have been trying to find a chart that shows the amount of paint it takes to paint different sized ships. May be I am looking in the wrong places? If one already exists can someone post a link please?
~Sundancer of Midnight~
[May 23, 2005 10:57:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=12466

Faulkston,
linky
[May 23, 2005 11:11:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Sundancer

thanks so much
~Sundancer of Midnight~
[May 23, 2005 11:49:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Bump. Could we please have the images in the first post of this thread on a free image hosting service? The images have been unavailable for quite a while.

Faulkston,
a reason to prefer text tables over images?
[May 29, 2005 1:01:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Heh, I actually run my own dedicated server...I had just moved the images out of the directory I linked to. Links are fixed...sorry 'bout that.
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 29, 2005 2:12:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Good to hear. I'll make some copies for my own reference whenever yer server can't provide the images for one reason or another.

I should put my ship interior images on a mirror site, just in case.

Faulkston,
backups!
[May 29, 2005 2:27:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

The max for a GF should still be 150, it was probably just some weird bug.

And by the way, the table on the first post is wrong. Not going to say what is just to piss people off, so *points and laughs*
[May 29, 2005 4:17:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Hmm... interesting. Thanks for the lovely pic... but I have to also point out that you've got a minor - well not really minor - detail wrong on there. But, I'm also going to let you look and work it out yourself. *points and giggles, amused*
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[May 29, 2005 2:19:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AySz88

It's not the "Merchant Galleon" label is it?
-Darvian
SO of the Yellow Jackets on Park, Midnight
A++ C++ P L GD++ Dnone C Bl++ Sa+ Gu+ SF+ N+++ Bn Dr R+ Al Sh++ B+ F+++ S+
[May 30, 2005 5:56:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AySz88    AySz88 [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Shuranthae wrote: 
The max for a GF should still be 150, it was probably just some weird bug.

The GF max pirates was modified on 04/21 to reflect 150.

AySz88 wrote: 
It's not the "Merchant Galleon" label is it?

Sincerely hope not considering I did that on purpose to reduce column width. If other numbers are inaccurate, I'm not aware of them. I haven't personally validated all of the figures, I just compiled what we already had in the "code" chart. I don't live on this game like some people, so please let me know if something needs to be modified.
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 30, 2005 9:35:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

*bump*

I re-did the images from the original post of this thread, using info from YPPedia. Why? Because I've had printouts of all three of those images sitting next to my computer since May 2005! (at least I think it's this thread that I got the images from; they were dated May 2005)

Maximum damage table:

How many stations?

Blockade sinking (estimates):

Please note that the number of gun stations indicated on the second chart is the number of gunners who can be working at the same time. I never needed to know the actual number of gun stations on a ship, but knowing that I can only order one person to gun on a dhow is important. I rounded some of the numbers too.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jun 6, 2007 1:30:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

Wow! This is awesome!!

/me prints off and puts beside computer.

~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains
Future Queen of Riot if things go my way...

Beautiful avatar made by Adida!
[Jun 6, 2007 1:57:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Wow. I completely forgot about these. Way to dredge up the past, mate! Man, I use to suck at Photoshop. 0_o
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jun 6, 2007 2:19:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

I didn't even use PhotoShop, just Paint. Which is why some of the numbers don't look like they quite match. But if those old May 2005 images were yers, then BLESS ye fer doing it back then. You would not believe how many times I've referred to those printouts, and how many of my crew members and flaggies have referred to the copies of the images that I posted (because I had stolen them when you first posted, so I *had* copies) after your originals were no longer being hosted.
[Jun 6, 2007 3:02:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Question: is there a page (or three) on the Wiki where these three images would be appropriate for posting? It's likely best in the long run if they were hosted there, so that others can update them if/when another ship type is added, and so we don't have to worry about the possibility of me losing the website I have them on at the moment.
[Jun 8, 2007 6:28:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

But if those old May 2005 images were yers, then BLESS ye fer doing it back then.

Heh, you're welcome. Glad someone at least got some use out of them. Remember, these were from before the wiki went mainstream (before the current iteration of "yppedia", anyway)...which leads me to:

Question: is there a page (or three) on the Wiki where these three images would be appropriate for posting? It's likely best in the long run if they were hosted there, so that others can update them if/when another ship type is added, and so we don't have to worry about the possibility of me losing the website I have them on at the moment.

The info is listed on each ship's individual page, as well as the generic "Ship" page, so I'm not sure that the images are even necessary anymore since you could print out the graphs already there. If there's enough demand for it though, I'll clean up the current images so the text matches, and maybe modernize the layout a bit, so they're suitable for posting.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Jun 8, 2007 6:36:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

The info is listed on each ship's individual page, as well as the generic "Ship" page, so I'm not sure that the images are even necessary anymore since you could print out the graphs already there. If there's enough demand for it though, I'll clean up the current images so the text matches, and maybe modernize the layout a bit, so they're suitable for posting.

For what it's worth, I found having the images of the different ships on the printout extremely useful when I was learning to spot the differences. O course, that was back before mouse-over showing the name of the vessel (either before I learned the trick or before it was implemented).

Thanks for pointing out the Ship page of the wiki. I don't remember noticing that one before.
[Jun 8, 2007 9:42:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Nice, but a cutter has the same hit points as a dhow; the numbers are 7.2, 4.8, 3.6 for SF, and 12, 8, and 6 for sinking.
The pirate formerly known as Ljamethyst.

I think the Sublime trophy is a happy idea. Sublime is to be celebrated.

[Jun 8, 2007 10:54:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I had always assumed that a Cutter had 125 hit points and maxed at 7.5 shots but apparently it's listed as having 120 and maxing at 7.2. I can not for the life of me recalled why I ever thought the former though I'd assume I tried it out at some point... can someone remind me why we know it's the latter?

Just curious.
[Jun 8, 2007 11:53:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

I had always assumed that a Cutter had 125 hit points and maxed at 7.5 shots but apparently it's listed as having 120 and maxing at 7.2. I can not for the life of me recalled why I ever thought the former though I'd assume I tried it out at some point... can someone remind me why we know it's the latter?

Just curious.

Arrrgh, it appears that a bad Wiki edit has crept into our collective consciousness. I have always cribbed from the Ship article , which was changed several months ago with the 7.2 numbers. (Same chart in Sea Battle.) When the Dhow came out, the error was replicated on its page. Accordingly, I updated the Cutter page with the wrong info. Now QuarterMaster has incorporated the bogus numbers too, and it's all partly my fault. I even found a forum post claiming the 7.2 as a reference for my edit :-(

I'm pretty sure the Dhow has the same HP as a Cutter, and the Baghlah the same as a Merchant Brig, so they should have the same damage/ramming characteristics. This has gotta be easy to double-check; I made a few lame attempts at cutter vs. cutter rams but my math sucks.

The same Wiki user changed the ram damage numbers for the Grand Frigate, too, so those are also suspect.

[Jun 9, 2007 12:37:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Wait, I was assuming that I was wrong for thinking it was 125 all this time. Though I remember being pretty sure it was 125 I can't for the life of me recall why I thought it was 125 and not 120, hence why I just assumed I was wrong now.
[Jun 9, 2007 2:13:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

While I don't have the resources to test all those numbers directly, I did find some shocking discrepancies with QuarterMaster vs. the tables vs. reality.

The numbers for ramming are accurate vs. rocks, and for sloops and merchant brigs. But ship vs. ship rams are different?! Cutter rams - what the hell? QM shows this as 0.5 smalls. My testing with 2 rams produced 4 blocks when QM shows 5. The rest of the numbers are off in the opposite way; from the war brig on up, QM shows 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 small shot for each ram. QM's numbers are more in line with my recollection here - that rocks hurt less than ships.

Also, as I was tracking damage by number-of-blocks, I noticed that QM's math for rocks uses truncation, while rams are rounded, when adding partial blocks.

So, I'll ask QuarterMaster users (and I guess I'll post in the support thread:) does the damage counter always give you a perfectly accurate count of SF block damage? I think being able to calculate blocks is the best way to arrive at HP numbers, since SF damage has a ceiling of 36, and sinking appears to be exactly 60 "blocks."

[Jun 10, 2007 2:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I believe it's a certain percentage defined by the ship class but I'm not completely positive as I generally don't go out and test things. I thought it was roughly 5% of a ship's total HP for small vessels, 10% for large vessels, unsure about meds but assumed it was also 5%. Ramming rock/edge always do 5% of a ship's total to itself.

*shrugs* Again that's from casual observation and assumption of what the Ringers would do for easy code/math work than it is actual testing.
[Jun 10, 2007 5:14:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Although come to think of it, that seems off for War Frigs. Question: how many blocks does a Sloop get for ramming a War Frig one time? And while I'm at it, to make sure, does a single ram from a GF max a Sloop?
[Jun 10, 2007 5:18:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Although come to think of it, that seems off for War Frigs. Question: how many blocks does a Sloop get for ramming a War Frig one time? And while I'm at it, to make sure, does a single ram from a GF max a Sloop?

18 blocks. A GF ram inflicts 24 blocks on a sloop. 14 rams from a sloop inflict 34 blocks on a cutter! If those 7.2 numbers were correct, a cutter would receive 35 blocks instead. That error may have crept in because of confusion between rock rams and ship rams.

Tailspin uses a table of hit points in this post that is different from yours, but here is a HP table that uses no fractions and is easily converted to number-of-blocks.

SMALL MED LARGE
6 9 12

SHIP SF SINK
S 36 60
C 45 75
D 45 75
B 72 120
MB 72 120
WB 90 150
MG 108 180
WF 180 300
GF 216 360

Now for the zinger... I haven't tested the dhows and baghlahs yet, are those numbers correct? What about rams?

[Jun 11, 2007 3:36:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
Soar

Ahoy

I'd like to see some confirmed numbers for the new ships too :]

All the QM numbers are stored in the Config.txt in the main QuarterMaster installation directory. Feel free to mess with them and utilize it as a testing engine.

I plugged in the wiki numbers for the two new ships as is.

The old ramming and HP tests done a while back for QM were accurate for the numbers back then with the exception of the cutter HP. That one we never settled on which is why you see the incorrect damage block numbers for cutters sometimes in the QM damage counter. We just couldn't pin point a number that matched all test results. So we used the one that displayed the fewest errors. It would need tests designed specifically for the cutter I reckon.

Also note that double damage rams are possible due to shunting most likely. You need to keep an eye on that when testing.

Arbedar!
Tailspin
[Jun 12, 2007 6:28:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates