• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5042 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Ted_124

Dark Seas Poker Rake Reply to this Post

Since game limits are Capped at 200-2000 buy ins, make Rakes Capped as well.

Remove the Rake for Pre Flop pots with No Callers !

At least let us enjoy poker without losing so much poe from Rakes.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ted_124 at Sep 10, 2017 7:05:23 PM]
[Sep 10, 2017 7:03:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Re: Dark Seas Poker Rake Reply to this Post

At least let us enjoy poker without losing so much poe from Rakes. How much can you lose they destroyed the game so badly. Wait better question how can you even sit there its like puzzling for the navy.

Add Rake to sink Poe, Destroy High stake tables, Only small rakes can be sunk, not a well thought out plan.... Still Salty

please bring back big people poker!
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Sep 10, 2017 7:31:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

Move the rake from Obsidian to Emerald :P
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Sep 10, 2017 7:56:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ted_124

I know it's not easy to adjust to lower stakes but I'm starting to like the capped at 2k buy in.

High stakes speeds up the game way to quick !

*I'm changing my complain from capping the Rakes to Removing Rakes from Poker*

@Scarpath Lol, I completely agree with you. Rakes at 2k-20k tables only.
Let the lower stake players enjoy the game with smaller buy ins
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ted_124 at Sep 10, 2017 8:46:33 PM]
[Sep 10, 2017 8:45:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Pick one:
Rake
No High Stakes

A rake is only really effective at higher stakes and completely silly at lower ones.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 10, 2017 9:12:23 PM]
[Sep 10, 2017 9:10:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yorkyblue

I'm sure the rake was broken when I was playing but I was drunk so can't remember how it happened. Pretty sure the rake came into effect on a big bet that wasn't called so lost money. As I say though, I was drunk so can't remember for sure and not been on poker since.
a Song for the Deaf.

Rissymay wrote: 
I was taking a state capital quiz, and I got my own state wrong.

[Sep 11, 2017 5:00:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Pick one:
Rake
No High Stakes

A rake is only really effective at higher stakes and completely silly at lower ones.

This was my first thought: they had two idea's to deal with poker and couldn't decide so did both.

Since game limits are Capped at 200-2000 buy ins, make Rakes Capped as well.

Remove the Rake for Pre Flop pots with No Callers !

At least let us enjoy poker without losing so much poe from Rakes.

This was my second thought: A rake even on an uncalled bet hurts those annoying All in every hand players that log in all in for 2-3 hands and move on with what ever they grab even if just blinds. Probably annoying at AOF's but oh well the game needs poe sinks. It should stay.

I'll just toss this out that the Rake is a normal part of gambling in real life. It should be implemented on ALL oceans. The house allays takes a cut for hosting and its a great poe sink.

Perhaps shifting to Poe rakes in all wagers including tournies with buy-ins, would be a great trade off allowing us to dump the parlor badge, and eliminate the need to replace it with a wager badge as discussed in other threads.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 11, 2017 5:45:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ted_124

Rake is a part of poker, that I agree with you.

But rakes form Pre Flop all ins, are not part of the game.

Also, rakes are usually capped at poker, whereas in this site, they're not.

What I'm suggesting are 2 things, Remove Rake from Pre Flop with no callers and Cap the Rake at a certain number or %.

If you want poe sinks, go after the high stakes (2k-20k) not low stakes. Low stakes already have little to start off with, you want to rake them on that too?

If you're answer is yes, still, then Cap it! Lower the stakes, lower the cap # or %
[Sep 11, 2017 5:25:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jwachtel

I agree
I was playing 2-200 poker and went all in -5 other players who put in 2 poe and then all folded. I ended up with less poe than when I started. This is ridiculous! you need to change the way the rake is taken for all in or cap it! Even if you just take the rake from the pot before the all in... What is the point of playing if you lose when you win?
[Jan 19, 2018 7:46:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Rakes from pre-flop all ins are great because they discourage pre-flop all ins, which, since none of you are Gus Hansen, is just entirely positive to me.
[Jan 19, 2018 8:47:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
superstarsam

The problem is YPP computes a pot differently to how it ought to. When you win a pot by making the opponent fold, your bet enters the pot, and then the pot is shipped to you. No problem on rakeless oceans but a big problem in a raked game, because it's fairly obvious that winning the pot should never return less money to you than you had at the start of the hand (in a live game when the opponent folds, the player takes back their bet and only the money already in the pot from previous action is raked).

That said, YPPoker has a number of other irregularities (like incomplete raises, which is a total farce and which also affects play on rakeless oceans), so I guess as long as we're willing to argue that we're not trying to exactly replicate real poker, we can have whatever rules we want, and accede to weird arguments such as this:

Rakes from pre-flop all ins are great because they discourage pre-flop all ins, which, since none of you are Gus Hansen, is just entirely positive to me.

Geologist - now exclusively Obsidian Emerald flavoured
[Edit 1 times, last edit by superstarsam at Jan 19, 2018 11:24:37 PM]
[Jan 19, 2018 11:23:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

It seems that the rake is doing what the developers intended which is to push people off poker, so on that note it seems to be working but are they just going back to emerald and then avoiding the new ocean for poker...

Either way don't care about the rake still win Dubs are lower then I expected them to be if that is because the inflation is controlled by rake/lack of poker or dumb luck, or the massive amounts of boxes being sold its good for the game.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Jan 20, 2018 6:19:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I think the distinction that you're missing here is between

"what the developers intended which is to push people off poker"

and

"what the developers intended which is to push the people who plan to completely fund their entire Y!PP experience with poker off playing poker"

If your approach to poker in Y!PP is "Poker is a neat game, every now and then I'll spend a half hour playing some hands of poker, that game can be fun." then everything is perfectly fine.

If your approach to poker in Y!PP is "This is how I will make 100% of my income to fund every activity I take in this game" then I can see why you don't like how the rakes work, but your playstyle is actually explicitly not supported by three rings and hasn't been for a decade. You are actually just -not intended- to be able to completely access the whole game without paying actual cash.
[Jan 20, 2018 7:43:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I agree with my old mate Devonin.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jan 20, 2018 7:01:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prammy16

I think the distinction that you're missing here is between

"what the developers intended which is to push people off poker"

and

"what the developers intended which is to push the people who plan to completely fund their entire Y!PP experience with poker off playing poker"

If your approach to poker in Y!PP is "Poker is a neat game, every now and then I'll spend a half hour playing some hands of poker, that game can be fun." then everything is perfectly fine.

If your approach to poker in Y!PP is "This is how I will make 100% of my income to fund every activity I take in this game" then I can see why you don't like how the rakes work, but your playstyle is actually explicitly not supported by three rings and hasn't been for a decade. You are actually just -not intended- to be able to completely access the whole game without paying actual cash.

I Agree with everything except that last sentence. I can access the whole game and never spent a dime, I just earned it through actually playing PP, rather than sitting in a card game.
-Porglit on Emerald
-Shadetemplar on Obsidian
[Jan 22, 2018 11:34:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Except for the whole 'direct statement from the Ringers at the time dubloon oceans opened' where they said the goal was to provide a cheaper a la carte experience for people who wanted to spend less money than subs for less access to the game.

While there are definitely a percentage of players who can play without spending real money, the opportunity cost in time is usually pretty substantial.

Perhaps it's more accurate to say "It is just not intended for the game to be completely accessible by everybody without paying actual cash" SOMEONE has to pay the cash to generate dubloons for you to access the game, you're just essentially hiring them with poe to spend that cash for you.
[Jan 22, 2018 9:41:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates