• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1752 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Discflicker

Make Information-Hiding Market Bids Harder To Do Reply to this Post

It feels like a game design flaw that we can see the top bid and top quantity, unless one pirate wants to shell out a measly 500 poe to hide it from the rest of the ocean for the next 10-60 minutes (or however long it takes for commodities to spawn). That's simply far too low of a price to hide information from literally everyone. It annoys me, but I'm really following the mantra of "Don't hate the player, hate the game!" here. At that price, if it's even remotely in your best interest to hide the price, you can easily do so and it's probably the correct move (financially speaking).

This has been happening for wood at Point Venture and for Sugar Cane at Lionhaven. If you super carefully watch the market, you can see prices fall to whatever the real bidding is at and then come back up as soon as someone decides to bid for 1 wood at 250. I'm thinking this may be scripted at this point, since it happens really really quickly and pretty consistently.

Possible solutions (sorry, I wanted to make it a 1a, 2b style list but can't get that to work on these forums):

• Increase Information Availability

• Make all bid amounts and quantities available via YoWeb (this could refresh only once an hour and still be very useful).
    • Show a bidding history of top N (probably 50-100) last bids placed

• Make this practice significantly more expensive

• Change bid prices so if your total market bid is <10K, it fills in the remainder (i.e. a 1 unit at 250 bid now has a 9750 fee but a 40 units at 250 bid has the same fee as before)
    • Require minimum quantities of 10, 50, or some other number that isn't scuppering ONE on basic commodities

----------------------------------------
Not convinced I'll ever truly quit Puzzle Pirates forever if it sticks around.
[Jul 18, 2017 10:53:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Re: Make Information-Hiding Market Bids Harder To Do Reply to this Post

It could also be made so that bids cannot massively jump up in price. Bid price has absolutely no effect on spawn rates so this shouldn't cause any issues.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Jul 18, 2017 11:00:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discflicker

I thought about that option, but if (let's say for example, you can only raise bids by 20) and the real price is 159, someone could just bid 179, then 199, then 219, then 239, then 250. It'd be a 4-5x more expensive and a little more effort, but not prohibitively so. And if they only bid for 1 unit at 179, you would have no idea whether the real price is 178 or 5 from looking at the market once.
Not convinced I'll ever truly quit Puzzle Pirates forever if it sticks around.
[Jul 18, 2017 11:12:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

I thought about that option, but if (let's say for example, you can only raise bids by 20) and the real price is 159, someone could just bid 179, then 199, then 219, then 239, then 250. It'd be a 4-5x more expensive and a little more effort, but not prohibitively so. And if they only bid for 1 unit at 179, you would have no idea whether the real price is 178 or 5 from looking at the market once.

Very true, but any barrier is better than none. If the added server load of showing players more bids is feasible, it should be done. If not, there is an alternative that doesn't add any load.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Jul 18, 2017 11:37:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates