• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 153
Posts: 153   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 74066 times and has 152 replies Next Thread
Yanojr

Re: Dark Seas: FAQ update Reply to this Post

one update which would be excellent would be for the hull paint to be visible on the ship icon on the high seas and in battle. Let us paint sails, too, and show them. Let everyone see that a ship is blinged. (This could be applied to the existing oceans too.)

+1...

I love the idea of a pvp ocean and i love to have theme ships. A kh cutter. A cit junk. A haunted wb... Would suck to leave a smh to have to pvp losing all your booty but losing the ship its self would suck more.... If i made a decorated sloop for example for PvP purposes then i would like to take the risk... But dont want to risk my kh cutter due to someone trying to pvp... But i trust in my nav skills and understand any ship at sea should always be a risk. To me thats what makes this new ocean more exciting...
[Feb 9, 2017 4:30:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

But I've come across people who like the decorating aspect (or more frequently, the collecting aspect) of the game, who I suspect will also like the PvP aspect of the new ocean. Why cut them out of half the fun?
Well, people still take out shiny ships in Eve, and they probably still will in Dark Seas too.

In an earlier post (in the other thread, I think) I mentioned the idea of a high security area of the ocean, which is Ringer held, not contestable and PVP is not sinking (but payouts are lower and there are no SMHs). This would also be an area where people who are scared to risk their shiny ship in low security areas could take them out safely.
----------------------------------------
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Feb 9, 2017 4:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Concerns about boat survivability aren't just about personal attachment, though.

Consider that, if your boat could pretty much disappear at any time you happen to be using it, a lot of people would therefore not bother furnishing or painting it, both of which have rippling economic impacts. The might be mitigated by the ocean economy adjusting for significantly less trade in alchemy and furnishings, but at that point you're taking something Not Fun (losing your ship and all the money you sank into it), and trying to offset it by taking other Fun things away. (fewer shoppes to go around, more difficult to make money with shoppes, less incentive to bother with shoppekeeping at all, less demand for shoppe labour and thus less incentive to play shoppe puzzles, etc.)

Conversely, allowing ships to be won in PVP would impact the shipbuilding economy, and might also discourage players from bothering to buy ships in the first place: to a newish player trying to launch a new crew from scratch, a ship is a major investment. If it could disappear forever at the very beginning of your first ever cruise, that's something Very Not Fun. You could try to offset that by dragging down the price of ship, but that produces its own economic distortions, and -- paradoxically -- probably has the effect of making the ocean even more hostile to those new crews. (If ships are expensive, even a well-supplied crew who finds ships relatively cheap and plentiful will still be reluctant to waste them. If ships are dead cheap and a single high-level pillage can easily pay for six or seven boats, why not set aside one night a week to be bold and stupid and sink as many times as possible?)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Feb 10, 2017 7:05:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vengfulsoul

If you're the kind of person who plays the game as Ship Decoration Online, maybe a PVP focused ocean isn't really for you. The idea of being able to take the loser's ship - or scuttle it, if you don't want to re-crew it? - is an excellent one. Though you'll still be able to have that floating palace docked up to show people, and being the kind of person that takes a blinged out ship out when it's at risk will make them even more status symbols than they are today.

As the state of ypp is now, the gravity of the game is the decoration/cosmetic aspect. The thing that pushes players into playing more and exploring more of the game is, at the end of the day, the cosmetics. When starting out in the game, sure, getting a sloop or starting your own crew are good ways to motivate people. But after that? The only real true goal after attaining wealth is to get better at the puzzles or to go after islands.

I don't agree that it should be, and I really think dark seas needs to straighten this out/buff up other gravity wells. There should, imo, be more goals for small crews to attain and to reach for. I'm not sure what those would look like in any respect, but something to motivate small bands of pirates to achieve something to be proud of/be part of something great.
Vengiesoul- Meridian
SO of Schrödinger's cat
Professional Wigsas photographer
[Feb 10, 2017 11:06:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

As the state of ypp is now, the gravity of the game is the decoration/cosmetic aspect. The thing that pushes players into playing more and exploring more of the game is, at the end of the day, the cosmetics. When starting out in the game, sure, getting a sloop or starting your own crew are good ways to motivate people. But after that? The only real true goal after attaining wealth is to get better at the puzzles or to go after islands.

I don't agree that it should be, and I really think dark seas needs to straighten this out/buff up other gravity wells. There should, imo, be more goals for small crews to attain and to reach for. I'm not sure what those would look like in any respect, but something to motivate small bands of pirates to achieve something to be proud of/be part of something great.

No normal person like losing assets. There some investment adage about people are more risk of loss adverse than gain orientated. Its probable no one will ever bother buying or decorating ships in this pvp huge certain loss environment.

'something to motivate small bands of pirates' Could be achieved on the normal ocean. What about trophies for crew achievements? That display on or via crew page. Outposts destroyed, Vikings held off, Krakens eggs stolen, Battles won, Weeks Island's governed for flags etc. Not based on pirate's but on crew ship results. Could be Ocean listing rating equivalent to Puzzle ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a matter of interest, has GH done any research into whether this new pvp ocean is what those playing want? By way of a survey in game, so those actively playing all get to respond. Not just a very limited selection using the forum.

Or if that is not who they are after, then non PP players, if it would attract them?

Do you play puzzles on the ships at all Y/N
If jobbing do you look for/ avoid pvp?
Do you prefer Sf/rumble fights against Humans/ or bots?
If running your own voyages do you look and want to pvp/ or avoid pvp?
Would you be bothered having to play PP only via Steam on one client Y/N?
Do you like the idea of losing your ships in constant war conditions to pvp attacks Y/N?
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JamesStGeorg at Feb 11, 2017 1:50:40 PM]
[Feb 11, 2017 12:25:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vengfulsoul

'something to motivate small bands of pirates' Could be achieved on the normal ocean. What about trophies for crew achievements? That display on or via crew page. Outposts destroyed, Vikings held off, Krakens eggs stolen, Battles won, Weeks Island's governed for flags etc. Not based on pirate's but on crew ship results.

I understand how trophies can be a big motivation, or eh compulsion, for some. I don't think that is enough for most players, It certainly isn't for me. I do think anything along the lines of 'motivate small bands of pirates' should have some type of trophy to accent it. But I was thinking of something more physical than artificial-and well, more complicated and unlikely to warrant all the time spent on it.

I ain't really a game designer, so take all this with a big heaping of salt.

But a sort-of example of what I was thinking.
Have something in the vein of a SMH-esk blockade for crews to battle other crews. Have them fight over something physical they can visit and call their own, like a pirate cove. Maybe in that pirate cove they can build 1 building that they can use to help raise crew funds, or maybe they can do an activity at their cove to produce raw goods they can move and sell somewhere. A place they can decorate and give their own flair to.

Either- have a limit to the number a crew can have and a fame requirement to try and take them over-limited quantities to fight over.
Or on the other design path where any crew can do a smh-esk quest, and save up smh-esk points that they can eventually trade in for a place of their own, but can only have one at a time they can upgrade.

'Quests' that a crew does for something they can all be proud of and every pirate to be in something bigger than themselves. My example is a bit dumb, complicated and probably not technically feasible. But adding a new gravity to the game centered around the crew structure-a group of friends- and not around a single player, I think would add a lot of emotional depth to the game. And would be very important in a PvP based ocean more so than vanilla.
Vengiesoul- Meridian
SO of Schrödinger's cat
Professional Wigsas photographer
[Feb 11, 2017 11:57:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

As a matter of interest, has GH done any research into whether this new pvp ocean is what those playing want? By way of a survey in game, so those actively playing all get to respond. Not just a very limited selection using the forum.
One suspects that the point of the exercise is appealing to people who don't already play. Notice that many of the changes are oriented towards making the ocean more dynamic and discouraging the profound stagnation that set in on in the subscription oceans in particular.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Feb 13, 2017 5:28:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Navalt

Perhaps for the sake of getting old players to come back to the game, send out an email about the new game or have an email list where people can be notified when this new game will be launched. I quit years ago but I find myself perusing the YPP website for nostalgic reasons
[Feb 13, 2017 6:29:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Lots of things I haven't read through yet, but just wanted to say...

I plan to go light side. =P Not that anyone would care. xD

Anyway, I found the 3 faction idea interesting at first, but then I'd have to agree with this:

3 factions to balance the game:
This won't work. If anything, it'll be counter-productive since there'll always be 2 ganging up on the 1. Why? The game always breaks into two sides. In the 10 years I've played, on every ocean, there has always been the battle between two sides. When one flag dies, another rises to take its place continuing the pattern. It will automatically align itself like this, and when one side gets weaker, skilled people will flock to this side and auto-adjust the political climate, since the players who love being underdogs generally are the most skilled players as well (who would've thought). Any attempt at hard-coding in ways to control the power balance is wasting their time, focus your efforts on things that matter instead.
One thing that needs to be pointed out is that if one side has the majority of players, they'll probably also have a lot more ships out at sea. With a herbivore mentality, this is of course a lot more ships that might PvP you (OH NO), but the way I see it, there are more ships for me to hunt. Given the implementations of deed-wagers in sinking PvP's, this makes being on the smaller side equal to being able to take a lot more ships. This too, will auto-balance the power distribution.

Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Feb 14, 2017 10:35:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penguinbr

Im going light side... Also cades wont really matter what side you are as you can job for either side same as it can be battle of dark vs dark for an island... Factions will be auto war, which gives more initiative to pvp. But people still would think twice before engaging. Not all navers have that kind of skill.

heh, I will be trouble.
Penguinbr
Monarch of the flag Sink or Swim
Just havin' fun and gathering new haters/fans <3

Meridian sucks, that's why I'm there.
[Feb 14, 2017 1:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cafefrio.net [Link]  Go to top 
Yanojr

Im going light side... Also cades wont really matter what side you are as you can job for either side same as it can be battle of dark vs dark for an island... Factions will be auto war, which gives more initiative to pvp. But people still would think twice before engaging. Not all navers have that kind of skill.

heh, I will be trouble.

Thats what a pirate is supposed to do... Cause trouble lol..
[Feb 14, 2017 11:06:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
LisaKayeLA

I got a text last night from an old pirate accomplice saying there was going to be a new ocean. I'll admit, I got a little excited.

I skimmed both threads concerning this and didn't really see an ETA on this. Anyone have an idea?
Cpt - Debauchery at Sea
Princess of Fresh and Bold on Obisidian
Always just a text away.

*NOTE: All comments, opinions and observations are strictly my own and do not reflect those of my flag unless I'm queen.
[Feb 15, 2017 7:26:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

Perhaps for the sake of getting old players to come back to the game, send out an email about the new game or have an email list where people can be notified when this new game will be launched. I quit years ago but I find myself perusing the YPP website for nostalgic reasons

Try ***NEW*** COKE!

Maybe there will be a coupon...
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Feb 15, 2017 8:25:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I got a text last night from an old pirate accomplice saying there was going to be a new ocean. I'll admit, I got a little excited.

I skimmed both threads concerning this and didn't really see an ETA on this. Anyone have an idea?

Just this:

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=206382&offset=40#2705011
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Feb 15, 2017 2:56:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Purpure

A foolish question, perhaps. But would houses on islands be subject to losses like ships are planned to be?

Can houses be built over or go dark in this ocean?
The Bastard of Colors.
Purpure on Emerald, also on Meridian.
Cendree on Cerulean.
[Feb 17, 2017 4:38:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://theoriginalfive.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Markus1

Is this going to need to be Greenlit on Steam?

Also looks like you have a working test ocean up, could be wrong there though
Zingman

Siochan Leat -- Carpe Noctem -- forever Midnight
[Feb 17, 2017 7:47:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Markus1 wrote: 

Aye, how else do they have screenshots of pirates? Lol. Looks like the people at headquarters are testing as they continue making the new ocean. Hmmm.
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Feb 18, 2017 6:58:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

A foolish question, perhaps. But would houses on islands be subject to losses like ships are planned to be?

Mmm, now there's an idea. This is game design, so here's a lore-friendly proposal:

Islands which can be lost to brigands are considered too unstable and isolated to host housing: the pirates can set up their inns and their shipwrights and all that business, but they can't attract enough builders and surveyors and suppliers to build civilian structures, because the seas are just too treacherous and nobody'll take the risk.

So, instead, we have Camps.

If you like, you can pay the so-called governor for a wee little plot of land, called a Campsite. Not very much land, but just enough. And on that patch, you can pitch a tent: maybe a tiny little tent barely big enough for a bedroll and a small chest, maybe a grander affair with 2-3 rooms and space for carousing, but nothing nearly the size of a mansion.

You can declare your Campsite to be your home the same as you can with a house. If the island is lost to brigands or to another faction, all of your housing pieces go into storage and can be collected from the fort -- for an appropriate bribe, of course.

The "permanent" islands which aren't subject to brigand threat are considered sufficiently safe and robust to attract "real" housing, so you can still build your mansions and bungalows and whatever else on there.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Feb 18, 2017 7:10:35 AM]
[Feb 18, 2017 7:09:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Is this going to need to be Greenlit on Steam?

Steam Greenlight will be gone by the time this comes to fruition.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Feb 18, 2017 11:26:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Mmm, now there's an idea. This is game design, so here's a lore-friendly proposal:

Islands which can be lost to brigands are considered too unstable and isolated to host housing: the pirates can set up their inns and their shipwrights and all that business, but they can't attract enough builders and surveyors and suppliers to build civilian structures, because the seas are just too treacherous and nobody'll take the risk.

So, instead, we have Camps.

If you like, you can pay the so-called governor for a wee little plot of land, called a Campsite. Not very much land, but just enough. And on that patch, you can pitch a tent: maybe a tiny little tent barely big enough for a bedroll and a small chest, maybe a grander affair with 2-3 rooms and space for carousing, but nothing nearly the size of a mansion.

You can declare your Campsite to be your home the same as you can with a house. If the island is lost to brigands or to another faction, all of your housing pieces go into storage and can be collected from the fort -- for an appropriate bribe, of course.

The "permanent" islands which aren't subject to brigand threat are considered sufficiently safe and robust to attract "real" housing, so you can still build your mansions and bungalows and whatever else on there.

me likey this idea
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Feb 19, 2017 5:03:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
beast231

I would like to see an EVE style with archipelagos. Currently they have no use other than its harder to find a map between them.

Navy secured archipelago. No pvp at all. low gains from pve. Great for new players to spawn and those who just want to pve without threat of pvp.

that is connected to a archipelagos that are non-sinking but pvp allowed. Wont lose your ship but pve is much better. pvp battles take what they do now along with all poe (no dubloons) that are on the individuals also. This will really add to the amount you take and the risk.

Then open oceans. pvp means if you grapple and win you get to take the ship deed. all decoration was destroyed in the battle so it becomes a normal ship. Renamed with reclaimed title type thing. PvE is very lucrative. if your flag has owns an island in the open seas it makes a good safe heaven to do this instead of having to sail all the way back and risk a possible PvP. PvE is still non-sinking and you just lose a portion of your things as it is now.

The bank. You put your money in the bank so you dont lose it at see. The island you use to bank with will have a fee percent set by the controlling island flag. min and max so wont be abused. some money goes to the controlling flag and some goes to ringers. This can help influence the politics and economy. The main island will have a higher fee. outer islands will likly have lower fees to attract more pirates to their island.

Insurance. You can pay a one time fee for decoration insurance. If your ship is sunk you can purchase a boat and add your insurance claim and when delivered will be decorated as you had it. You can also get your insurance claim to pay out market value of what you had on your ship. reason for 1 time is because people would buy insurance only when going to lose there ship. this is a simpler system and those with decorated ships will feel more secure about losing them whenever which is wanted. The insurance would only cover what was done. no additions unless a new insurance plan is purchased (or a possible upgrade).

This give PvP a large benefit that even if they have nothing in the open seas they have a chance for a ship. in non sinking means people will put their money in a bank. the bank is specific to an island which will mean more attachment to islands which again means more care about blockades. they can always bank in the ringer protected island but that has higher fees (unless and island wants to charge as high for their bank). By banks being seperate you can charge a fee to transfer to another island or they can use a whisking potion with it on them. either way they have to move it.

Exploration. This also gives a reason to go explore the map. Islands in the open ocean have rare spawn commodities along with higher spawn rates (making them cheaper). Moving those commodities is a lot riskier though. While if you want less risk and easier sailing everything is higher priced but safer to move in navy controlled waters.

Island change. I like the idea of shop destruction. I think a shop should go dormant for 2 weeks and if the island doesnt change back or they dont strike a bribe with the new owners then they close. This will make shops want to join in defense of the island. Some things on this. The dubloons cost to open a shop. If i open a shop and 2 weeks later the island changes and I have to close i lose all inital cost. I would like to see a refund over 4-6 weeks where if you do lose the shop then you are refunded part of your initial investment based on time. If you accept the bribe then you continue on but you have to pay the new weekly rent which is whatever is set by the controlling flag. This could drive shops out and start somewhere else or they may want to stay. with 2 weeks you will have time to move all of your goods out. can sell them on the open market. move then to store in a ship or another shop somewhere. This will also give a benefit of pirates wanting to hang out around the island looking for ships moving goods (doing actual pirate things).

changing maps. I would say natural disasters and volcanos can destroy islands or create new ones. you can make the map bigger or smaller as population changes. This is probably not possible but would allow for future changes if needed. Can give warnings so all shops and boats can be moved. Or have them be moved after the destruction and within a certain time the path will be lost.

I loved planetside (original) growing up. They had a latice structure which is very much like your map leagues. This is just off the top but you can have blockades only move island to island that are connected. Not sure how this will work yet but throwing it out there. Also 3 sides worked great if one got too massive. The thing I think of though is this is better eve style. You are on your faction but its not perpetual war like planetside. its more like eve where your faction will have advantages and disadvantages depending on island ownership or something. this gives more of the open ocean feel. Maybe attacking the other faction to much will put a price on your head and so in the middle section areas are sinking PvP if you are attacked by the other faction. This also gives an incentive for PvP in those areas where you hunt for bounties.

The Inn. great to hear on the poker. I dont understand inn deeds. reading that they are owned by a player yet make no money seems strange. The inn on an island should be owned by the island owner. A tax (set by the island owner) will be pulled from the games. This means the owner of the island can entice people to come with a lower tax or if the island is very popular can put a higher tax. Flags will want to own popular islands because of this. With the banks you can have flag banks which is flag owned. This gives even more meaning to royalty and who the flag has and trusts. Also means if a person does go dormant the flag lives on. If the flag numbers die down the island will take over.

This gives the ocean a place for everyone. hopefully bringing everyone in for higher numbers. Also people change their game plan and this has a lot of that. lastly owning island and politics really change the aspect of the game and makes it worth while to join this part. Not fully sure of the implications of the economy in the senario but anyway here are my ideas.

Sorry for the long post.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by beast231 at Jun 2, 2017 10:37:01 AM]
[Jun 2, 2017 10:15:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mikipiki

Is there any news on if it will be possible to have stalls or shoppes in the grey waters?

Obviously it has been stated that this area will have some limitations and hence most likely used by new players but then again, new players also buy ships, rum etc.
[Jun 3, 2017 10:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hawkinson2

I have been kicking around some ideas for the game.....

First....I think it would be interesting to introduce Legendary pirate bots. The idea is that once a pirate player has charted a course, selected to pillage and then hires "swabbies" there is a possibility of a Legendary bot joining the crew. The bot will have extraordinary skills and be a great asset to the pillage. To make sure players do not abused the function......the Legendary bot will only join a crew after the pillage has been selected and the course charted. If the player un-charts the course the bot will leave, no longer interested in the pillage. This will encourage players to chart longer pillages then normal in hopes of a Legendary bot joining the crew and will encourage players to pillage more.

Second...on the older oceans there were (8) eight Brigand Kings. A good story line for the new Dark Seas could go this way....

"Join the Shadow Fleet or the Defiant Armada as ye seek out the Legendary Brigand Kings. It is legend that in the Obsidian ocean lies a secret island where the eight Brigand Kings store their massive treasures. Legend has it that if ye can collect the eight Brigand Kings tokens, ye might have a chance of finding the legendary chart to the hidden island where a pirates ultimate treasure be. Do ye dare challenge the Kings? Do ye dare the waters around the hidden island? Do ye dare challenge the island inhabitants? Do ye dare to become a Famous pirate? then join Puzzle Pirates:Dark Seas!"

The game play would be the same as in the other oceans. At random ye acquire a chart leading to a King. Ye fight the king but the trophy would be the token if ye win. Collect all eight. Once a player has all eight there is a possibility during a pillage that they may get the hidden island chart. Ye could use the Cursed Island mechanics for the hidden island with the exception that once the chart for the hidden island is used....it is destroyed. The player gets one shot at the island. If he fails.....his ship is sunk, the chart and tokens are lost and they have to start over. Also once the pirate ship has landed on the island the location of the treasure moves each time. Therefore the pirates would have to search the island for the treasure while fighting natives.

If the pirates succeed, they each get a trophy and the booty. The booty would have to be much larger then the usual game mode pay outs that players are use to. Making the treasure extremely large will encourage players to a challenge and also what pirates fight for is the large pay outs.

Just a few ideas.
[Jul 6, 2017 2:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

Will there be an option to take over the shoppe deed rather than destroying it (a little how outposts work now) in cases where its a shop type that is desired?

We're exploring some various options here, there are some interesting possibilities. Among other possibilities, were looking at transferring shoppe deeds, but there is potential for abuse by the original owner before the deed changes hands. We're also considering forcing the shoppes to go dark for a while before dusting, or allowing the new controlling flag to levy huge taxes on specific buildings as a way of influencing which shoppes are welcome and which are not. The goal is that a blockade will shift ownership of shops into the winners hands. We're open to suggestions on how to achieve this without a potential for abuse by either side.

I am also going to look into limiting new shoppes placed on islands in Dark Seas, as you mentioned.

Aside from the larger reward for blockade wins would be a desire to end paving islands and eliminate the "shoppes as trinkets" thing.

My suggestion would be this:

There is a shoppe of each type tied to island ownership. That's 7 shoppes for winning an island, including a vertical monopoly to allow the flag to control costs for enamels, dye, paint and cloth. A flag that is collectively interested in shoppe-keeping can make serious hay with that.

There is some kind of limit on the total number of other shoppes. Perhaps another 10-15 or so. I thought I read that islands would be limited to 10 total shoppes. I think that number needs to be higher. The rules of this ocean already discourage players primarily interested in merchanting so counting on stalls to pick up so much seems like an idea destined to fail to me.

There is some mechanism to "condemn" a dormant shoppe with some mechanism to define dormancy---perhaps based on cash flow or labor hours or something. Maybe a requirement that shoppe owners be in a crew and double taxes if the opposing faction controls the island as a bridge between the notion that flags control the shoppe owners on their island and how it is now. Even that would encourage shoppe owners to join (and strengthen) the island owning flag, building the barrier to blockade viability that much higher.
Hankscorpio
[Edit 1 times, last edit by NickScorpio at Jul 6, 2017 6:46:20 PM]
[Jul 6, 2017 6:45:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ariel_mac

When 2 ships from the same faction PVP in the Dark sea, does it make it sinking even if they are not at war?
~ Arielmac (all oceans except Atlantic)

[Jul 9, 2017 5:11:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

When 2 ships from the same faction PVP in the Dark sea, does it make it sinking even if they are not at war?

Nope. War and alliance works normally within the factions.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Jul 9, 2017 8:16:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Empatheticly

Bump... with a question!

Does anybody know if SMH location matters in regards to payout? Does an HS map that spawns in the Wild Seas tend to have a higher payout than one next to Triplet's Treasure or anywhere in the Bloody Bounding Arch?

I'm purely curious considering it would be much less arduous to sail a ship to Triplet's Treasure versus sailing all the way to Wind Combs Island if it pays the same. Hoping some sort of developer (*cough Forculus cough*) may be able to shed some light or give us some sort of tip considering the new ocean has the upper half of it being a fair bit more "wild" in payout.

Thanks in advance! Loving the new server/ocean.

- Empathetic
I do what I can, when I can.

- Empathetic,
Still playing, here and there.
[Aug 8, 2017 9:43:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

Bump... with a question!

Does anybody know if SMH location matters in regards to payout? Does an HS map that spawns in the Wild Seas tend to have a higher payout than one next to Triplet's Treasure or anywhere in the Bloody Bounding Arch?

I'm purely curious considering it would be much less arduous to sail a ship to Triplet's Treasure versus sailing all the way to Wind Combs Island if it pays the same. Hoping some sort of developer (*cough Forculus cough*) may be able to shed some light or give us some sort of tip considering the new ocean has the upper half of it being a fair bit more "wild" in payout.

Thanks in advance! Loving the new server/ocean.

- Empathetic

I could have sworn I read that SMH maps only spawn in the wild seas...
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Aug 9, 2017 10:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Hmm, I'm sure I read this too. It is almost true though, all SMH maps spawn in Ye Bloody Bounding Main Archipelago right?

Forculus wrote: 
jlh0605 wrote: 

Where will SMH's spawn? Specifically, will they spawn inside the faction areas? Or perhaps only in the "wild" areas?

They will spawn in Ye Bloody Bounding Main, as well as the Wild Seas.

quote from here

Forculus wrote: 

• Sea Monsters and expeditions will only spawn in the Wild Eastern Seas, Wild Western Seas, and Ye Bloody Bounding Main.

• quote from here
    Jjc & Jice on Emerald
    CI booty division stats
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at Aug 9, 2017 1:28:38 PM]
    [Aug 9, 2017 1:20:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Empatheticly

Hmm, I'm sure I read this too. It is almost true though, all SMH maps spawn in Ye Bloody Bounding Main Archipelago right?

Forculus wrote: 
    jlh0605 wrote: 

Where will SMH's spawn? Specifically, will they spawn inside the faction areas? Or perhaps only in the "wild" areas?

They will spawn in Ye Bloody Bounding Main, as well as the Wild Seas.

quote from here

Forculus wrote: 

• Sea Monsters and expeditions will only spawn in the Wild Eastern Seas, Wild Western Seas, and Ye Bloody Bounding Main.

• quote from here

The question was if payout differs between the two. :)

Is it worth venturing out to Wind Combs if I have a map on Triplet's Treasure? That's the question.
    I do what I can, when I can.

- Empathetic,
    Still playing, here and there.
    [Aug 9, 2017 2:08:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 153   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates