• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8916 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
Legionaer

Claim yer inharitance mission for Obsidian Reply to this Post

Hello!
May I suggest adding the backsword and the savvy hat on the new ocean? I own the box edition, but I have not seen the mission on Obsidian yet.
[Jul 3, 2017 6:56:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Re: Claim yer inharitance mission for Obsidian Reply to this Post

Hello!
May I suggest adding the backsword and the savvy hat on the new ocean? I own the box edition, but I have not seen the mission on Obsidian yet.

I'm afraid that this mission wont be available on Obsidian. Dark Seas uses its own billing system so rewards or doubloons from Puzzle Pirates classic do not transfer over.
----------------------------------------
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Jul 3, 2017 8:12:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

Thank you for your quick answer. I understand that the new ocean has a new billing system and that doubloons aren't transferable. However, I don't see how the two items are in any way related to the other oceans, as they are only tied to a certain character, independent of the ocean itself, without the trade possibility whatsoever.
[Jul 3, 2017 8:37:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

The phrase "do not transfer over" may not be referring to a literal transfer of items from the existing Oceans.

If the billing system for the Obsidian Ocean (Dark Seas) wouldn't have a provision to claim one's inheritance, then that may be a deliberate decision by the Developers to not carry forward the box edition feature after so many years (how many remaining unclaimed box edition rewards are there?).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Jul 3, 2017 9:07:52 AM]
[Jul 3, 2017 9:03:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

And what I meant is that I don't quite see how it could affect the new ocean in a bad way, actual transfer or not. Perhaps I am a bit biased, since I only bought my box edition less than a year ago :p. Either way, since the item can be claimed on each pirate of that account (not just on one pirate, not a limited amount of times, anyone who has a box edition can claim it on any new pirate, right now even, yes, I know you know that already), I'm sure the ones who would indeed benefit from it would still consider it a nice perk, and I doubt the others would really mind about it. I know it's just an item, but it does have its own emotional value.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Legionaer at Jul 3, 2017 9:33:52 AM]
[Jul 3, 2017 9:30:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lilymoon

I have the box edition as well, however I do understand why this isn't carried over (I'm sad I cannot carry over my sword -or hat- as well, but I understand why).

My feeling is they want this ocean to be as fair as possible. I.E. 'everyone starting from scratch' as possible. Meaning that the backsword may be an advantage that folks have, however slight that may be.

Now what I DO hope they offer is a LE 'box-replacement' set directly from Steam, as Steam sometimes offers deals like that. That way it would be similar to what the box set offered, but on the Steam billing platform. Again, this is a desire of mine and no way saying they will do this.
Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
Avvie by Tilinka!
Apollo wrote: 
(Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Jul 3, 2017 9:43:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

Correct me if I am wrong,(As I don't own one myself) but the box edition does say that the reward can be claimed on ALL oceans, correct? And despite being separate from the other oceans, Obsidian is still an ocean like the rest.

Breaking promises, now are we?
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Jul 3, 2017 9:46:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I'm afraid that this mission wont be available on Obsidian. Dark Seas uses its own billing system so rewards or doubloons from Puzzle Pirates classic do not transfer over.

I call BS. The account names, birth dates, etc. "transfered over" just fine.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 3, 2017 10:17:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

Obsidian isn't an 'ocean like the rest'. It's a different game, with different rules and a different client. I'm not sure I agree with the decision not to give box set owners items on Obsidian, but they certainly have a good argument they're not breaking the set promise.

I'd like to see the items granted, but not while we're in this startup phase.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 3, 2017 10:33:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Correct me if I am wrong,(As I don't own one myself) but the box edition does say that the reward can be claimed on ALL oceans, correct? And despite being separate from the other oceans, Obsidian is still an ocean like the rest.Breaking promises, now are we?

Obsidian is not an ocean like the rest. A box buyer would not be able to access the Obsidian client via the game contained within the box, even after our launch.
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Jul 3, 2017 8:18:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

Then it is very much like the other oceans, because the ypp launcher that comes with the box edition only has some of the pre-merge oceans and it can not be used to log on any of the current oceans. Come on, it's a hat and a half-useless sword, you'll have to bring better arguments than "it is affecting the balance". Or do you only want to detach yourselves from the previous owners and only refusing this from a business perspective, as it was not your profit?
[Jul 3, 2017 8:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Correct me if I am wrong,(As I don't own one myself) but the box edition does say that the reward can be claimed on ALL oceans, correct? And despite being separate from the other oceans, Obsidian is still an ocean like the rest.Breaking promises, now are we?

Obsidian is not an ocean like the rest. A box buyer would not be able to access the Obsidian client via the game contained within the box, even after our launch.

Crimson wasn't an ocean like the rest too.

Face it, GH just wants to say FU to old players and will look for any lame excuse. This isn't the first time, OOO went out of their way to add extra programming to make sure chromas don't work on Savvy hats.

Mind you, I don't have a box set, so all this does to me is that it shows me what GH is.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 4, 2017 4:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Face it, GH just wants to say FU to old players and will look for any lame excuse. This isn't the first time, OOO went out of their way to add extra programming to make sure chromas don't work on Savvy hats.

Mind you, I don't have a box set, so all this does to me is that it shows me what GH is.

It's been a long time, but didn't you use the same client to access Crimson?
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 4, 2017 5:11:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
yourbootie

If this has its own billing system does that mean it will accept Box buyers set keys still?

I am also a box buyer but was pretty unhappy with the colors to choose from for the savvy hat; pretty outdated anyway.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by yourbootie at Jul 4, 2017 6:26:01 AM]
[Jul 4, 2017 6:25:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Just want to post my 2c ... all of this discussion is moot - since I would think GH doesnt have to live up to any statements/promises made by a now defunct (?) company?...

Feel free to flame at will, just saying that I dont expect a backsword to show up on Obsidian, since it is cancer and I am now boycotting Obsidian. I am remaining on Cerulean until game death, which i now predict to come in the near future.

CERULEAN OR DEATH
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by RonenOsden at Jul 4, 2017 6:37:29 AM]
[Jul 4, 2017 6:36:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Just want to post my 2c ... all of this discussion is moot - since I would think GH doesnt have to live up to any statements/promises made by a now defunct (?) company?..

By default, when a company is sold, it includes all assets and obligations. All contracts from before carry over, neither party to the contract gets to renegotiate. Customers come with the sale, so do employees with their salaries and retirement plans, etc.

Sometimes different parts get spun off into separate companies, but all assets/liabilities go somewhere.

So, yeah, by default, the obligations that come with the box set will get transfered over to sega and then to GH. Now, whether there are actual legal obligations is something I don't know and moreover, even if there are legal obligations, whether some box owner would sue in order to get a backsword seems unlikely to me.

Still, it says to me that GH is happy to dump this kind of old stuff.
[Jul 4, 2017 7:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

It's been a long time, but didn't you use the same client to access Crimson?

Crimson did indeed use the same client. It didn't have nearly as many changes as Obsidian did.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 4, 2017 8:22:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

It really was. It was played with the same client, the gameplay was the same, except the chat was super filtered for ratings reasons (which is why it failed, probably).
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jul 4, 2017 1:04:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

Crimson lacked some puzzles, Obsidian has them all, so then which one is more different? I don't think this is about pointing differences though, in the end it's the same Puzzle Pirates game, you can change details about it, but it's still Puzzle Pirates nonetheless.
[Jul 4, 2017 1:14:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Face it, GH just wants to say FU to old players and will look for any lame excuse.

I think it's far more likely that what they said was "We're already going to be running far behind schedule as it is, do we really want to spend extra time coding in something that won't affect over 99.9% of the players?"
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 4, 2017 3:00:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

It really was. It was played with the same client, the gameplay was the same, except the chat was super filtered for ratings reasons (which is why it failed, probably).

I doubt the chat filter had all that much of an impact. I'd imagine the forced ship-locking contributed more, and possibly the lack of SMH of any sort.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jul 4, 2017 4:12:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

I think it's far more likely that what they said was "We're already going to be running far behind schedule as it is, do we really want to spend extra time coding in something that won't affect over 99.9% of the players?"

The feature and the code for it already exists, it's been there since the game appeared..
[Jul 4, 2017 4:38:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I think it's far more likely that what they said was "We're already going to be running far behind schedule as it is, do we really want to spend extra time coding continuing to code in something that won't affect over 99.9% of the players?"

The feature and the code for it already exists, it's been there since the game appeared..

Fixed, then. I know that at least one point in the past, and I think I recall more than once, that the developers mentioned that they had to do some extra coding to deal with the box sets. I can't remember what these situations were off the top of my head, but I definitely remember at least one time where they specified that they had to do some extra stuff to deal with the box set items.

So no, right now, they probably wouldn't have to do anything extra. But in a year, they may well. This is the opportunity to make that break; if they don't do it now, they lose that chance.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 4, 2017 5:17:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

I have some years of coding experience too, and common sense says that even if it would require some coding, it's nothing over the top. When did 0.1% of the players stopped being important?
How fair is it to cancel a feature (maybe some persons made an effort to get that box, and it's real money in the end) without even mentioning it?
[Jul 4, 2017 8:43:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

The fact that it's a separate download from the normal YPP client says that the installer within the box won't allow you to connect to Obsidian. If you can't connect to Obsidian with the boxed version of the client, why would you get any of the benefits from that version?

If GH were to release boxed editions of YPP again, they would release 2 types. 1 would be for the standard YPP client the other would be for the Obsidian client. Would you then expect anything special released with the standard boxed edition to be available to you on Obsidian?

Let's say you're silly enough to say "yes" to the previous scenario. If you pre-purchased Halo 3 and got some special weapon/armor with that pre-purchase, would you have expected to continue to receive that special weapon/armor with later versions of Halo? Common sense would say no because they are different games.

While there are many similarities between Obsidian and the Green/Blue oceans, they are 2 different games as represented by 2 different clients. What you get on 1 would not be available on the other.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Jul 4, 2017 9:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Hmm...

I look at it this way:

These are 2 games that are very similar to each other (and different in some ways).

1. Puzzle Pirates, and
2. Puzzle Pirates Dark Seas.

The first game currently has 5 oceans (servers): Cerulean, Meridian, Emerald, Opal, Jade.
It has 1 test ocean: Ice.

The second game currently has 1 ocean (server) on beta testing: Obsidian.
So basically, the one were on right now is the Dark Seas' "Ice". The regular one will be the one on Steam (sometime in the future).
We don't know if other servers will be added in the future.

I have no idea if that will help at all. xD
Feel free to ignore me. =P

Just edited to include Ice, etc.
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Opsat at Jul 5, 2017 11:06:07 AM]
[Jul 4, 2017 9:33:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

The fact that it's a separate download from the normal YPP client says that the installer within the box won't allow you to connect to Obsidian. If you can't connect to Obsidian with the boxed version of the client, why would you get any of the benefits from that version?

I already stated in a previous post that the box installer can not be used for any of the current production oceans. I don't normally play on Ice, but during a testing period I did, and it had a separate launcher too. Is that a different game too?
As far as the comparison with other games that sell new versions every 1-2 years.. Put the oceans side by side, Obsidian and the old ones, look at them again, and then try telling me that it's a new game and not merely a different server, with some extra features, but an identical gameplay.
Initially, I wanted to petition about this issue, but the petition tab wasn't opening, so I took it to the forums. I expected an answer from a developer, but in the meanwhile the topic attracted more opinions. I own a box, some of you do, some of you don't. In the end, we are playing and enjoying the same game, we're all "pirates". Does it bother you so much that this feature is kept? Does it annoy or affect you in any way that box owners would keep recieving those items? If not, if it doesn't mean anything to you, but it would make someone else happy, why are you so very against it?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Legionaer at Jul 4, 2017 10:16:56 PM]
[Jul 4, 2017 10:16:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I'm not sure if you could *ever* connect to the servers from the box set client, you always had to update to newer clients anyway. The box set also contained nice stand-alone versions of many puzzles, but those versions eventually broke due to their out-dated java versions.

Besides the stand-alone puzzles, the two main features of the box set was a (often cheap) one month subscription and the choice of backsword/savvy hat that you got to claim on all oceans, including things like Ice that required a special client. The packaged production client was irrelevant.
[Jul 5, 2017 5:59:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Does it bother you so much that this feature is kept? Does it annoy or affect you in any way that box owners would keep recieving those items? If not, if it doesn't mean anything to you, but it would make someone else happy, why are you so very against it?

I'm not against it. I don't really care if GH decides to appease the request. But I get tired of the "GH sucks" rhetoric that happens too often here (IMO). It's as though people think that GH should cater to the player's every whim, even when those players are being unreasonable (also IMO).

And I'm not referring to those that posted their wish for the savvy hat/backsword and accepted the reasonable response of no (and why it's a no).

As far as the comparison with other games that sell new versions every 1-2 years.. Put the oceans side by side, Obsidian and the old ones, look at them again, and then try telling me that it's a new game and not merely a different server, with some extra features, but an identical gameplay.

The dark ocean (Obsidian) is not the same game as the Green/Blue oceans. The basics of how the game works are the same, but that's it.

You shoot weapons in Halo 3 and in Halo 4. You run around different environments killing stuff/collecting stuff. Same gameplay. Must be the same game just with some extra features.

Algol wrote: 
I'm not sure if you could *ever* connect to the servers from the box set client, you always had to update to newer clients anyway. The box set also contained nice stand-alone versions of many puzzles, but those versions eventually broke due to their out-dated java versions.

Besides the stand-alone puzzles, the two main features of the box set was a (often cheap) one month subscription and the choice of backsword/savvy hat that you got to claim on all oceans, including things like Ice that required a special client. The packaged production client was irrelevant.

Ice and Production clients are different due to the connection being made, but it is essentially still the same game. A sub grants access to Cerulean and Ice (don't remember what, if any, requirements there are for green doublooners to access Ice).

If Obsidian were a subscription ocean, I would not expect my Cerulean subscription to carry over to Obsidian (hope for it maybe, but completely expect that it wouldn't). I also would not expect my Obsidian subscription to grant me access to Ice. They are two different versions of a game (Obsidian vs Green/Blue). As such, it makes no sense to expect that a Green/Blue reward be available on Obsidian.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Jul 5, 2017 1:41:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Legionaer

Does it bother you so much that this feature is kept? Does it annoy or affect you in any way that box owners would keep recieving those items? If not, if it doesn't mean anything to you, but it would make someone else happy, why are you so very against it?

I'm not against it. I don't really care if GH decides to appease the request. But I get tired of the "GH sucks" rhetoric that happens too often here (IMO). It's as though people think that GH should cater to the player's every whim, even when those players are being unreasonable (also IMO).

And I'm not referring to those that posted their wish for the savvy hat/backsword and accepted the reasonable response of no (and why it's a no).

I am the one who posted this wish. I didn't say that GH or anybody sucks. But I don't consider the answer I recieved as reasonable. I expect either a better argumented answer, or at least a ballsier one. It's not a whim, as long as people have paid money for it.

The dark ocean (Obsidian) is not the same game as the Green/Blue oceans. The basics of how the game works are the same, but that's it.

Seriously? The basics? The main part of the game, which is in its name, the puzzles themselves, the way you play them, the way they look, the way they work, are EXACTLY the same, 100%. The way things look like around in the game? Yep. The way you run a pillage? Yep. The way you run a stall, a monster hunt, the way to dock tart even? Yep, yep, yep. Identical. How much of the code between Obsidian and the other oceans is shared? Yep.

You shoot weapons in Halo 3 and in Halo 4. You run around different environments killing stuff/collecting stuff. Same gameplay. Must be the same game just with some extra features.
Ice and Production clients are different due to the connection being made, but it is essentially still the same game. A sub grants access to Cerulean and Ice (don't remember what, if any, requirements there are for green doublooners to access Ice).

The way you alike Ice and the production ocean, but not Obsidian and the production oceans, and keep bringing up that Halo comparison, just baffles me. Do you really feel like playing 2 different games between Emerald and Obsidian? If it wasn't for this thread, would you have ever thought about them as different games? You can take screenshots or even hours of video, between Emerald and Obsidian, and they'll be identical. Can you do the same with Halo 3 and 4?
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=206204
This is where the launch of Obsidian was announced. All it sais is "new ocean", not "new game". I'm sure that with a bit of work, it could have used the regular launcher as well.

If Obsidian were a subscription ocean, I would not expect my Cerulean subscription to carry over to Obsidian (hope for it maybe, but completely expect that it wouldn't). I also would not expect my Obsidian subscription to grant me access to Ice. They are two different versions of a game (Obsidian vs Green/Blue). As such, it makes no sense to expect that a Green/Blue reward be available on Obsidian.

I do own the box edition, and I did expect that reward to also be available on Obsidian.
[Jul 5, 2017 4:52:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates