• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7659 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Raalala

New Player Retention Reply to this Post

As highlighted in this thread and many times before, we all want new players but, once we do get an influx, no one is helping them. Yes the current tutorial is helpful in parts, but there is no area for all the greenies to get 'into' the game, we just kind of throw them in at the deep end to a point. Greeters are good but there is only so much some of them know and as we are aware, a lot only do it for the pink name.

What can be done?

A starting 'area' for greenies. (An island or two maybe, solely for the new players to find their way around). The same as with other MMO's, when you've just started a game you begin in a starter area with starter level monsters, items and players at the same ability as you. Grouping new players together encourages them to make friends and gives them a reason to log back on. It is still one of the biggest draws for all players, to log on to catch up with friends.
- Provide them with a badge and a 'weapon' for their chosen starter puzzle in carousing, make them account bound so that they cannot be traded and therefore cannot be abused by multiple accounts being made and traded away/sold for profit.
- Have it only last until their name is yellow.
- Have a few old timer pirates allowed into the area to offer advice, reward them for their help with trophies or the likes, nothing too big so as people do it for their own good feelings and not for the profit.
- An actual post on the docks with the most basic 'No-No's' of YPP, the ones that will get you banned.
- Introduce them properly to pillaging, finding their way onto a ship. For example, after they have done any of the initial duty puzzle tutorials, have the next mission to pop up in their 'Ahoy' tab as, 'Learn to Pillage!', where they are then added onto a specific ship, with 4-5 other new players and an AI Bot at the helm, who will explain what they need to do, before taking them all out on the sea.
Ideally this process will walk new players through a step by step guide, or a ‘pillaging 101’

1) New player clicks 'Learn to puzzle'.
2) New player is then sent to the initial tutorial where they can choose which station they would like.
3) Once completed, the new player then has 'Learn to pillage!' pop up on their 'Ahoy' tab.
4) After they have clicked it, they're whisked onto a ship with other players at the same experience/other new players.
5) Each player will be randomly assigned a duty station to play before the first battle
6) The ship gets underway and gets into a battle, the AI should perform well and preferably beat the opposing ship.
7) Once they grapple, the AI bot should explain the basic principles of 'How to team', I.e in groups of 2-3 players on each enemy.
8) A prize for winning! Like with the navy when you rank up, I believe they should be given (Depending on swordfight or rumble) a weapon, old or good and an explanation on how to equip it.
9) After the battle the player will be assigned another duty station, with the aim being that they should all be able to try each of the main puzzles you're expected to do while on a pillage, so ideally there should be 5 battles between the two islands, with each win giving out an item, sword, bludgeon, hat, top and pants.
10) Once they hit the island, the AI bot explains the booty divide, and asks them to hop off, the same as the old mission does.
11) 'Ye have been stranded!'
12) Have two missions then pop up - 'Pillage again, arrgh!' or 'Go Home.' (The go home obviously encouraging them not to be stuck on an uninhabited islands wandering around lost.

Why would this be an improvement to the current system in place for new players?

The proposed changes above will address the issue of new player retention. The current tutorial system is lacking in various ways that the above changes will improve. Primarily, the game with the way it is currently has no incentive for established players to interact with new players and as a result new players are heavily reliant upon being 'taken under the wing' of a player. To keep this up at any rate is virtually impossible and therefore not beneficial for the health and longevity of the game.

My proposed changes above seek to teach green players the fundamental underpinning of the ship based activities that a large portion of the game revolves around, and most importantly how each station interacts with the others. By teaching them in this way they are better equipped to support established player run pillages and other ship based activities, improving the interaction between old and new players. Re-creating the sense of community that this game revolves around. Pillages or any sea based activities do not work on this game without teamwork.

Starter pack rework.

At the moment, the starter pack at the price of $2.99, in my opinion it is only worth it for the starter badge, as it means not having to buy multiple badges, I'm not sure how many people actually purchase it but, I believe it could be improved.
An alternate suggestion that may perhaps work better is the option to buy, after the expiry of the starter badge, a pack specifically targeted at one of the three main areas of game play. Players should have a better idea at the end of the 15 day period included in the starter badge as to what area of gameplay they enjoy the most. The starter badge would be given free upon completion of the tutorial pillage. The additional pack would be between $3 and $5.
Carousing Pack- Parlour badge, weapon of their choosing, possibly a good condition carousing table/tournament board.
Crafting Pack - Labour badge, crafting based furniture item/crafting based clothing item (like the apron).
Bravery Pack - Bravery badge, pirate badge, sword (ideally something like a short sword).

I'd love to get feedback on what you think on this, if there's anything you would personally add to better the new players start, I'm obviously avoiding giving out poe and dubloons as this can be abused easily by creating multiple new accounts and just farming it.

The idea would be to make anything given in the starter area account bound.

(Mad credit to Priapus for helping me sort through my rambling mess.)
----------------------------------------
~ Bambeh

Johnydepp says; 'BatBam, your f-ing play on words fetish'
Priapus says; 'Mate, look at his screen, you could play chess on that.'

[Jul 31, 2014 11:13:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jdfan63

Re: New Player Retention Reply to this Post

Very well thought out post.

As a player returning after 8 years, I find that while I remember some things, it's still taking me awhile to get up to speed. For someone completely new to the game, I can imagine it's quite overwhelming. I've stuck around because I remember what it was, i.e. lots of players and pillaging, so I know it can be worth the effort. But greenies don't.

I completely agree with the "Greenie" Island. The missions are good, but as you said there really needs to be a chance to pillage with bots. I'm still hesitant to pillage because I'm not up to speed yet, but I'm bored just sailing with the navy all the time. Plus, a bot pillage that gives the inexperienced some practice might help prevent a planking or some other unpleasantness that would discourage them.

I think the games need more thorough tutorials as well. It's frustrating to feel that you are doing well and then get a "poor" rating. I've had to search online for how to truly play some of the games; many people won't bother with that.

More badges for the greenies too. People get addicted to collecting things and getting them started right off the bat keeps them wanting to earn more.
Rubaiyat, Meridian
[Jul 31, 2014 3:12:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sheepyleafy

Absolutely love the idea of the learn to pillage system you've got there! I said in the original topic that greeter pillaging needs to be restructured and this is perfect. The problem was there was little incentive for anyone to run them, due to terrible booty and the stress of having to answer many, many newbie questions, having a bot run it would be great; save us greeters having to explain the same thing many times over. However, a bot can't explain everything, so I would suggest there also being an easily identifiable button which the greenies can press to ask any questions they still have to an on duty greeter. This would be the same as the current button, though made more obvious so that it actually gets used.

I do think 5 battles is probably a bit much in one go for a greenie, 2 or 3 would probably be better, maybe with a simple expedition such as sunken ship to provide more variety. They can always go again afterwards anyway to do the other stations.

Also at the end of the pillage I think the bot should explain a little bit about pillaging with real players, and about the crew system in general, such as joining one, becoming an officer and buying a ship. They could also hint at other things such as SMH, labour puzzles, and carousing to show what else the game has to offer besides pillaging.

Excellent thread!
Sheepyleafy, Sheepyleafys everywhere

Sheepyleafy says, "Did ye hear the cannon shots last night!?"
Cridox says, " is it war in your country?"
[Aug 1, 2014 7:04:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wangy4

Reducing the learning curve of puzzle pirates is a great idea for player retention as it will reduce the number of player who are overwhelmed by the complexity of the puzzle pirate system and style of game play. However the problem of player retention lie more deeply rooted, and can be found in the game's pay to play and pay to win mechanism.

All things in Puzzle Pirates is centered around POE which revolves around a puzzle game mechanism which ultimately drives the entire game economy. However access to the entirety of the puzzle game mechanism is restricted by either subscription on a sub ocean or badges and dubs on a dub ocean. This in its innate nature creates a loyal core of elite players who are dedicated to the game; as only people whom are extremely enthusiastic about the game would pay physical money to unlock game elements in which they have not yet played before. Along with the doubloon exchange means that any player who is willing to sink enough physical money into the game would ultimately dominate, or at least within reason gain influence through pure pull of POE alone.

Although it makes financial sense for the company to maintain the pay to play system to maintain business feasibility. The pay to play system has traditionally always turned away new players, whom otherwise would of picked up the game. This has dramatically improved with the introduction of the Doubloon oceans in which players may choose to pay for the game aspects they wish to play, and the introduction of the doubloon exchange in which players may exchange POE for Dubs.

A step forward would be a further continuation of the doubloon system in which the company constantly stream doubloons onto the exchange as a method of controlling the pay to play system. This in addition to introduction of Ad systems to help generate income, which makes the constant stream of dubs more feasible.

Furthermore, marketing for puzzle pirates have been lacking. For a game which is possessive of such a ingenious concept (skill based system of puzzle in which individual skills in puzzles drive all aspect of the economy, as oppose to the traditional concept of time invested return, in addition to a multiplayer element which encourages formation of crews and flags) the game concept is up there with EVE. However there has be extremely limited marketing of this fact. It is almost like the company is trying to bleed the game dry through exploitation of its last elite corp and let the game die into the pages of history as oppose to the much needed mechanics and marketing investment the game needs.

Don't get me wrong I love puzzle pirates.
[Aug 10, 2014 11:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blazikin94

Love the idea, I think its a shame on a good day there are 600-1000 players total in all servers. some 2d mmorpgs from home have more players. The thing is with games they usually only generate income from the start and as time goes on it gets less, die to new tech and games. With puzzle pirates its graphics may not be the best, but its system complexity is far better than any other mmo, and its one of the only mmos that actually require skill.. anyone can click a mob, its kills it, grab loot, level, get new skills and repeat. But with puzzle pirates you cant. I think now Sega runs it it should have a complete makeover, new graphics, maybe more hd graphics, not a change of game completely to 3d etc just smoother, and a re market and re launch.

So sad as i enjoy this game a lot, i think poker has also killed the game, as players have some big gun who wins millions in poker, then they use them to fund cades etc, leaving the little guys stuffed, there is no way pillaging can compete.

also annoying that a pillage with say 5 people wins a fight, they get say 10k booty.

same ship with only 2 players hey get like 3k...

well that not how it works if it happened in real life, each ship should spawn with an amount.. and its that amount regardless of how many players etc
[Aug 12, 2014 5:28:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scrappyilse

I like this idea very much! The starter area would be a great thing to teach greenies the basics and bring them in contact with other players more than they'll probably now will. I've returned after six years of absence and find myself learning several new things.

Can I make an added suggestion?
In an online browser based game I also play there's a "crew" (there it's a cooperative, whole other kind of game) who plays on a few servers and which is specifically for new users. You'll get 5 days to get familiar with the game and the coops. Granted, this is mainly run by two or three players I think, but it does help quite a bit.

Perhaps a similar thing could be done here in addition to the pillaging part? Make a crew in the starter area which is run by a couple of veteran players who can teach greenies basic crew principles and the workings of a crew before they're "released" into the wild, sorta speak.

It will take some time, though, setting up such a thing.

I think it would also be interesting for new users to have access to the crafting and parlor games. I know they're paid, but perhaps they could be accessable in the starter area so that players get a full view of the possibilities.

I do agree with the statement about not giving out PoE and dubloons. Too much risk in that.

well that not how it works if it happened in real life, each ship should spawn with an amount.. and its that amount regardless of how many players etc
This I agree with too.

As for marketing, I've just checked and there's indeed hardly news which can be found elsewhere.

Perhaps something could be done with Raptr, like start playing PP and register it with Raptr to earn rewards or something like that.

I've just checked mmorpg.com and the latest news there is from 2008. The latest interview with one of Three Rings people is from 2005. Perhaps a feature about the Kraken and Tournaments and such could be done? And of course this idea if it's implemented :)

It's just a couple of things that came up :)
~regards, Ilse~
Aye, me pirate's life is wonderful!
Obsidian Ocean:
Scrapper
[Aug 15, 2014 10:01:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ilsemul.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Stromae9

I think it would also be interesting for new users to have access to the crafting and parlor games. I know they're paid, but perhaps they could be accessable in the starter area so that players get a full view of the possibilities.

I always thought it would be a good idea for new users to sort of have a "free trial" period where they can play all the crafting/carousing puzzles for a short period, maybe 2 days or so before being notified to buy a badge.

Or perhaps badges with reduced days? Something like a 15-day bravery badge, a 15-day labor badge or something. This would make it way easier for greenies to get started and the benefit is that they can then use the PoE made from SMH's or labor to buy the full badge later on. A little shortcut for greenies to get started at the cost of fewer days on the badge.
ArmoireYPP on Youtube
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Stromae9 at Aug 15, 2014 1:15:47 PM]
[Aug 15, 2014 1:14:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

Am I allowed to bump this thread? I think it's still relevant and since we're under new management (Grey Havens) Maybe they could have a work around.
~ Bambeh

[Jul 9, 2016 1:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flyingbyson

Well let's just keep spamming and get their attention for God's sake
teeth says,

You gotta learn the secret of poker. Let me explain.

[Jul 11, 2016 8:36:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

Haha, not so much spamming, just reviving a thread I put a lot of thought in to :P
~ Bambeh

[Jul 11, 2016 10:51:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flyingbyson

I was worried my post might be misunderstood.. but I mean it earnestly. The OMs clearly aren't listening. Let's make them
teeth says,

[Jul 11, 2016 4:03:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I was worried my post might be misunderstood.. but I mean it earnestly. The OMs clearly aren't listening. Let's make them

Here we go again...

OK, starting at the top: first off, it's not the OMs you need to get to pay attention to you. It's the developers. The head developer, to be precise, whoever that is these days.

Next, as my father said frequently, this isn't a democracy. The closest we get is being an oligarchy (voting with your money). In case you weren't around for it, Puzzle Pirates was recently sold because the company who had it was losing money. Being able to make payroll is high on the minds of the developers, because they're the ones who own the game now. Any-- and I mean ANY-- suggestion to make it easier to play for free is going to have a real tough battle. Because to Grey Havens, one paying customer is worth several dozen unpaying ones.

Finally, you're not the first person to suggest spawning doubloons in-game. But I haven't seen anyone yet who suggested that, or any other make-it-easy-to-freeload proposal, who came up with any solid proposal to convince players to shell out more real-life currency for this game. The usual argument is, "By getting more free-to-play players, you'll increase the number of paying customers."

As the saying goes, would you bet the company on that? Because that's what you're asking Grey Havens to do.

If it were my company, would I bet the company on it? Hell, no. My night job is small-press publisher. The books I've put out range between 4.5 and 4.7 stars each on Amazon (and those are real rankings, not purchased ones), with a few very nice reviews from book reviewers. So I can say that they're good books in more people's eyes than just my own. I've also done some free/heavily discounted sales.

And I've mostly stopped them, because they turn into essentially no actual sales of other books. People who are used to free expect just that. They pick up the book... then go on to pick up the next free/heavily discounted book. They don't stop and say, "I want to read more by that author" because they know that they would have to shell out real monty for it.

Internet games are like that, only more so. The number of customers that will eventually make a cash purchase without a significant inducement to do so aren't all that high.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 11, 2016 5:39:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

I totally agree, most of the people bitching about the value of dubs are the very same people who exclaim "I'll never pay a dime or real money to play this game". These are likely the same people who don't think twice about paying $150 month for a cell phone plan so they stream crap content, purchase on demand netflicks, and spend $8 a day on a grande frappe-a-latte. BUT hold on now, actually pay for game content that will actually keep the lights on at the game so that I can continue to enjoy it? No way! Ha.
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Jul 11, 2016 5:49:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flyingbyson

Here we go again...

Here we go again with people thinking they're brilliant and starting arguments with other people on a forum with whom they have the same end goal.

It was my understanding that the YPP game was purchased by a group of OMs from OOO. I recently came back to the game and am not fervently involved in its politics--so I think it's a forgivable transgression to mix up the two.

To be honest, I very much disagree with your post. To keep it brief, I think it is a major stretch to compare a MMORPG to free book sales. In this game, people develop friendships, collect items etc. etc. etc. They grow attached to the game, and that's where revenue comes from. Books are a one time read--if the author is great, maybe their other works are worth reading.

The fact of the matter is, however, that not everybody pays for this game. It's a "free" game. Free to download, free to play. If I or other players like myself wanted to pay, we could just as easily. But I have no reason to, so why should I? Paying customers don't just come out of thin air. The game is advertised as free. If those players later choose to become paying customers, well, that's that.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder--a bias where you think that "paying customers" are better than "free-loaders." The game should be just as enjoyable for all players, regardless of who is buying doubloons or not. Purchasing doubloons allows you the benefit of having extra doubloons, getting mystery items, and protecting your pirate; it does not put you in some elite paying members' club.

If you think that by you spending a few hundred bucks a month you are saving the game (and this is why, for some odd reason, you feel the urge to goad me into spending my own money), you are sorely mistaken. Just like the other players who have already quit, so will paying customers continue to as they see the game getting worse and worse. If I could purchase enough doubloons to alter the price of the doubloon, that would be the only solution--but wait, wouldn't it fulfill the same purpose if those doubloons were just... there? The only solution to this problem is a fixed economy. That should be indisputable. Why you are so hung up about the "free doubloon free-loading" concept is beyond me. Introducing doubloons into the game would in no way affect paying members, or anything for that matter to a considerable degree. It would only FIX the problems.

The backbone of the game is non-paying members who are converted to paying members. And the way to save the game is by promoting all players to play. So yes, I would bet my company on that. The reality is, I think you are missing a lot of basic economic principles.
teeth says,

[Edit 3 times, last edit by flyingbyson at Jul 11, 2016 8:04:53 PM]
[Jul 11, 2016 7:56:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flyingbyson

I totally agree, most of the people bitching about the value of dubs are the very same people who exclaim "I'll never pay a dime or real money to play this game". These are likely the same people who don't think twice about paying $150 month for a cell phone plan so they stream crap content, purchase on demand netflicks, and spend $8 a day on a grande frappe-a-latte. BUT hold on now, actually pay for game content that will actually keep the lights on at the game so that I can continue to enjoy it? No way! Ha.

And honestly, you can't be serious, can you?
teeth says,

[Jul 11, 2016 7:57:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaGi

Dude, it's just a game, play it how you want. Pay or no pay. I'm serious about that. The game is basically bankrupt, enjoy it while it lasts, if more people come to play? Awesome. If they manage to resurrect something of the past glory? Super.

But, you see what happened with Pokemon Go this week, free game, purchasable content. Nintendo stock goes up 9 Billion with a B in a few days. Just with a stupid interactive app that works with the technology built into a phone. Gotta catch em all!

People want interaction, something playable on a mobile device. That they can play on the bus or at lunch at work. They don't want to sit in front of their computers playing bubble bobble for hours on end.

Oh and my subscription costs $8 a month, and I play what and when I want. Not sure what you're talking about when you say 'hundreds' a month. That money pays employees salaries and benefits at grey havens, pays their rent, pays their developers to come up with the content, keeps the lights on, server hosting and maintenance, I'm sure the list goes on. So you can thank me and the others that pay that continue to provide that so you can enjoy your free game.
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SeaGi at Jul 11, 2016 8:28:06 PM]
[Jul 11, 2016 8:11:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raalala

Finally, you're not the first person to suggest spawning doubloons in-game. But I haven't seen anyone yet who suggested that, or any other make-it-easy-to-freeload proposal, who came up with any solid proposal to convince players to shell out more real-life currency for this game. The usual argument is, "By getting more free-to-play players, you'll increase the number of paying customers."

Xelto, in my original post I stated;

I'd love to get feedback on what you think on this, if there's anything you would personally add to better the new players start, I'm obviously avoiding giving out poe and dubloons as this can be abused easily by creating multiple new accounts and just farming it.

I would want all the stuff they get to be character bound exactly like rats. I'm proposing a better introduction for new players more or less. I'm also aware that it's not the OM's who need to look, it's guys like Forculus.

If we could avoid turning this thread into a, 'he said she said, we said they said, oh my god you're wrong!' I'd appreciate it.

Grey havens does have a lot to pay out for, just to keep the game running normally with all that Jimmyjimjim stated, so I don't mind buying dubs here and there and I have done many times over the years that I've been playing. I enjoy the game, so I support it. Exactly the same as I do with the other games that I play.

Pokemon go is a different kettle off fish, they have a huge player base, huge, global. You can't compare Oranges to Watermelons. To play pokemon games initially, they would have spent $200-300 on a platform to even play it. Just because they're now capitalizing on the free to play market, doesn't make them the same, it makes them smart. OOO/Sega had an app, I imagine the coding it all still there but, it wasn't great, the puzzles worked great but the rest of the game was off, it didn't have the same interaction as the desktop version. So it would either need to be just puzzles or more time and money put into it.

But yeah, this is all besides the point, could we get some constructive criticism on the 'starting help' that I'm proposing? What bits don't you like? Which bits could be improved?
~ Bambeh

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Raalala at Jul 12, 2016 4:09:55 AM]
[Jul 12, 2016 3:57:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Xelto, in my original post I stated;

I would want all the stuff they get to be character bound exactly like rats. I'm proposing a better introduction for new players more or less. I'm also aware that it's not the OM's who need to look, it's guys like Forculus.

If we could avoid turning this thread into a, 'he said she said, we said they said, oh my god you're wrong!' I'd appreciate it.

My response was to the "Make them listen!" post (which I've seen both here and the same concept in real life one too many times), not yours. Sorry if things got crossed.

As for your ideas... possibly. I made a nice long post about how I would do it, but in the end it turned into how I would do it, not a response to your idea. I will note that any idea, yours, mine, or someone else's, comes with the rather big footnote that developer time is at a premium, and either of our suggestions would bog down whatever is in the development queue.

I would worry about giving away starter badges after completing the tutorial; I can easily see that idea being farmed, even if it's a long tutorial. Your alternate package ideas seem to be reasonable, and shouldn't take too much developer time, though. In fact, I could see the concept being expanded upon with less of an early-pirate focus, like a $10-20 package that gets you a captain's badge, lets you create a crew, gets you a ship or two, and tosses a few doubloons in for fun.
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 12, 2016 4:49:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

But, you see what happened with Pokemon Go this week, free game, purchasable content. Nintendo stock goes up 9 Billion with a B in a few days. Just with a stupid interactive app that works with the technology built into a phone. Gotta catch em all!

The question is, will it stay up? Markets overreacting is nothing new.

Also, a few police departments have already started telling people that they're not allowed to trespass in the name of that game. Just waiting for a lawsuit to happen.

Not to say that it's not a bad game or business concept. But judging how something is doing based on the stock market is risky. This may be a keeper, or it may be a two-months-and-done idea. Time will tell.
[Jul 12, 2016 4:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cutingchris

As highlighted in this thread and many times before, we all want new players but, once we do get an influx, no one is helping them. Yes the current tutorial is helpful in parts, but there is no area for all the greenies to get 'into' the game, we just kind of throw them in at the deep end to a point. Greeters are good but there is only so much some of them know and as we are aware, a lot only do it for the pink name.

What can be done?

A starting 'area' for greenies. (An island or two maybe, solely for the new players to find their way around). The same as with other MMO's, when you've just started a game you begin in a starter area with starter level monsters, items and players at the same ability as you. Grouping new players together encourages them to make friends and gives them a reason to log back on. It is still one of the biggest draws for all players, to log on to catch up with friends.
- Provide them with a badge and a 'weapon' for their chosen starter puzzle in carousing, make them account bound so that they cannot be traded and therefore cannot be abused by multiple accounts being made and traded away/sold for profit.
- Have it only last until their name is yellow.
- Have a few old timer pirates allowed into the area to offer advice, reward them for their help with trophies or the likes, nothing too big so as people do it for their own good feelings and not for the profit.
- An actual post on the docks with the most basic 'No-No's' of YPP, the ones that will get you banned.
- Introduce them properly to pillaging, finding their way onto a ship. For example, after they have done any of the initial duty puzzle tutorials, have the next mission to pop up in their 'Ahoy' tab as, 'Learn to Pillage!', where they are then added onto a specific ship, with 4-5 other new players and an AI Bot at the helm, who will explain what they need to do, before taking them all out on the sea.
Ideally this process will walk new players through a step by step guide, or a ?pillaging 101?

1) New player clicks 'Learn to puzzle'.
2) New player is then sent to the initial tutorial where they can choose which station they would like.
3) Once completed, the new player then has 'Learn to pillage!' pop up on their 'Ahoy' tab.
4) After they have clicked it, they're whisked onto a ship with other players at the same experience/other new players.
5) Each player will be randomly assigned a duty station to play before the first battle
6) The ship gets underway and gets into a battle, the AI should perform well and preferably beat the opposing ship.
7) Once they grapple, the AI bot should explain the basic principles of 'How to team', I.e in groups of 2-3 players on each enemy.
8) A prize for winning! Like with the navy when you rank up, I believe they should be given (Depending on swordfight or rumble) a weapon, old or good and an explanation on how to equip it.
9) After the battle the player will be assigned another duty station, with the aim being that they should all be able to try each of the main puzzles you're expected to do while on a pillage, so ideally there should be 5 battles between the two islands, with each win giving out an item, sword, bludgeon, hat, top and pants.
10) Once they hit the island, the AI bot explains the booty divide, and asks them to hop off, the same as the old mission does.
11) 'Ye have been stranded!'
12) Have two missions then pop up - 'Pillage again, arrgh!' or 'Go Home.' (The go home obviously encouraging them not to be stuck on an uninhabited islands wandering around lost.

Why would this be an improvement to the current system in place for new players?

The proposed changes above will address the issue of new player retention. The current tutorial system is lacking in various ways that the above changes will improve. Primarily, the game with the way it is currently has no incentive for established players to interact with new players and as a result new players are heavily reliant upon being 'taken under the wing' of a player. To keep this up at any rate is virtually impossible and therefore not beneficial for the health and longevity of the game.

My proposed changes above seek to teach green players the fundamental underpinning of the ship based activities that a large portion of the game revolves around, and most importantly how each station interacts with the others. By teaching them in this way they are better equipped to support established player run pillages and other ship based activities, improving the interaction between old and new players. Re-creating the sense of community that this game revolves around. Pillages or any sea based activities do not work on this game without teamwork.

Starter pack rework.

At the moment, the starter pack at the price of $2.99, in my opinion it is only worth it for the starter badge, as it means not having to buy multiple badges, I'm not sure how many people actually purchase it but, I believe it could be improved.
An alternate suggestion that may perhaps work better is the option to buy, after the expiry of the starter badge, a pack specifically targeted at one of the three main areas of game play. Players should have a better idea at the end of the 15 day period included in the starter badge as to what area of gameplay they enjoy the most. The starter badge would be given free upon completion of the tutorial pillage. The additional pack would be between $3 and $5.
Carousing Pack- Parlour badge, weapon of their choosing, possibly a good condition carousing table/tournament board.
Crafting Pack - Labour badge, crafting based furniture item/crafting based clothing item (like the apron).
Bravery Pack - Bravery badge, pirate badge, sword (ideally something like a short sword).

The idea would be to make anything given in the starter area account bound.

(Mad credit to Priapus for helping me sort through my rambling mess.)

This is a brilliant suggestion. I +1
Magneto - Emerald

Cutingchris - Meridian Malachite (will never be forgotten)
[Jul 12, 2016 6:57:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
XBumble

Am I allowed to bump this thread? I think it's still relevant and since we're under new management (Grey Havens) Maybe they could have a work around.

Not new management. Grey Havens are the original team from 3 Rings - the guys who wrote the game.
Captain of The Wreckin' Crew - Kirin Island, Cerulean Ocean.

'Are ye prepared to meet your maker and ask for yer money back?'
[Jul 15, 2016 2:38:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Not new management. Grey Havens are the original team from 3 Rings - the guys who wrote the game.

That depends on how much influence Sega had over the day-to-day operations of OOO. The company I work for is also owned by a Japanese company, and there have been times when they've... tried to improve us by showing us the Japanese way to do things. And requiring us to follow this or that idea, no matter how much we protest. It usually lasts about 6-12 months before the guy who came to America with these flashy ideas begins to realize that our customers actually don't act like Japanese ones.

Anyway... a few of the things that OOO did looked very much like Sega-inspired policies. GH is now free to change any or all of those things. (If I'm correct about who the guiding hand was.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by xelto at Jul 15, 2016 5:06:12 AM]
[Jul 15, 2016 5:02:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates