• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 318
Posts: 318   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 70680 times and has 317 replies Next Thread
Thalia
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Ship Design contest, Part II - Winners posted Reply to this Post

Winners have been posted!

-----

You've read the title - this is your second chance to create a limited edition ship for the game!

Details
  • Create a limited edition ship for the game using the Yohoho Tools. Your design should be your very own, unique design not a copy of past LE ship themes.
  • The ship type for this event is a sloop, none of the other ship types are valid. Your starting point is a sloop shape, and you need to work within that template. Four XML files linked below provide the basic shapes for your four scenes.
  • You will be using only those elements currently available in Yohoho Tools.
  • Your ship must be designed with Yohoho Tools, and your entry will be in the form of xml files.

Entry format
  • Entries should be sent by email to events@puzzlepirates.com
  • The email subject line should be "LE Ship Event" without the quotes.
  • The body of your email should include your pirate name, your ocean, and the theme of your ship.
  • You may include a BRIEF description if you wish to expand on your vision, but this will not affect the judging.
  • You should then attach the four scenes from your ship, as xml files (or the xml files in a zip file).

Useful Links

Starting Scenes
You will need to use the following xml files to give you the starting template for your four ship scenes.

Main deck: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Event-Sloop2-MainDeck.xml
Main hold: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Event-Sloop2-MainHold.xml
Cabin: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Event-Sloop2-Cabin.xml
Crow's Nest: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Event-Sloop2-CrowsNest.xml

Highlight and copy the text of the file, then paste the text into Notepad (usually found by going to "All Programs">"Accessories" in Windows). Save the file as .xml (by typing .xml after the file name). You should then be able to open it in Yohoho Tools.

Deadline
The deadline is 11:59pm game time on Tuesday, September 24th, 2013.

Additional rules
  • You may only submit one entry. Do not send multiple entries or multiple emails. So don't rush to get your entry in early - make sure it's right and finished before you submit it. I will post a list of entrants in the second post of this thread, updating a couple of times a week.
  • If your design is chosen to be implemented as an in-game limited edition ship, the arrrtists may enhance your design, add custom elements, or make other changes for a final design.
  • We reserve the right not to implement any of the entries as an actual ship into the game, should none of the entries meet certain quality standards.

Prizes
  • If a design is chosen to be adapted for an in-game ship, the winner will receive one ship of that type when they are released, and the Dread Masterpiece trophy (if they do not already have it).
  • The winner will also receive a Greenbones doll, a mounted hammerhead furniture item and an inscribed trinket. The winner will also recieve a Puzzle Pirates bumper sticker to decorate his real life sloop, if he is willing to provide his full real name and mailing address (there is no in-game equivalent if the bumper sticker is not claimed).
  • Honorable mentions will receive an inscribed trinket, a Greenbones egg and an additional ingame prize.
  • Winner and honorable mentions will also all win a pack of Puzzle Pirates playing cards (to claim the cards, the winner and honorable mentions must be willing to provide their full real name and mailing address - there is no in-game equivalent if this prize is not claimed).

There will certainly be several questions regarding the event and also about the island editor. Make sure you take a look at the second post of this thread, where I have already copied questions and answers from the last event of this type and will continue to add more as they come in.
Please use this thread to ask your questions - do not send questions about the event via email, as they won't recieve an answer.
I will keep a summary of questions and answers in the second post of this thread, as well as a list of recieved entries.

You're welcome to use this thread for comments, discussion, ideas or screenshots, but don't feel obliged to share your designs if you'd rather keep them quiet!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Thalia at Dec 28, 2013 4:14:47 PM]
[Aug 26, 2013 6:42:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Re: Limited Edition Ship Design contest, Part II - Deadline September 24th, 2013 Reply to this Post

Questions and answers

Does it need to be a sloop?
Yes, the ship needs to be a sloop and you need to work with the given templates and 4 scenes. It also needs to have all the functions of a standard sloop. You can move stations around, but may not change their number.

How much can I change the templates?
You are free to rearrange doors, windows, walls and room/scene layouts, so long as the basic footprint and size of the ship is maintained and the rough deck configuration is similar. Basically, you can play with but need to maintain the space available, and have it be recognizable as this shape of sloop with the correct number and type of stations.

Can I use existing LE ship themes?
You can use elements from existing themes, but rebuilding existing themes entirely would very likely ruin your chances. We want to see your very own, never-seen-before ideas and designs.

If we resend an email will we be disqualified?
No, I'll just ignore the second email.

Can I send my ship's scenes in separate emails?
No. A valid entry needs to be sent in the form of an email with all necessary details given and the xml files for all 4 scenes attached. Emails which do not contain all necessary details or scene files will not count as valid entries.

Some LE ships have an animal or NPC running around. If I want one on my ship, is that possible?
Yes, if ou want a certain kind of NPC or animal (existing ones) romaing the ship, pelase include that in the description part of your entry. No guarantees though!

I have participated in the first event of this sort. Can I re-submit my old design?
Absolutely. As long as the ship design is your own, feel free to re-submit it or adjust the design and then enter it again.

Can I add additional scenes?
No, I'm afraid not, please stick to the 4 scenes of the template.

Can I use an alternate piece of furniture instead of a certain station object?
Yes, that's fine. But make sure you mark the new objects accordingly (under Object action command) and keep the overall station count the same.
Here is a list of object action commands:
Sailing station - vessel:duty:sail
Carpentry station - vessel:duty:carpentry
Bilging station - vessel:duty:bilge
Navigation station - vessel:duty:navigation
Gunning station - vessel:duty:gunnery
Vessel hold - vessel:hold
Navigation table - vessel:navigate
Booty chest - vessel:booty
Rowboat - vessel:exit

Some LE ships have custom items created specifically for that design. Can we suggest custom objects for our design which do not exist currently? And only use placeholder items for our ship for now?
No. While it's certainly possible that custom graphics may be added by the arrrtists after a winner is selected, don't count on it while you design your ship. Or put differently, we'll judge what we see, so you need to work with what's already in the editor.

Entries
This list will be updated several days a week with entries which have been recieved.
Tritón, Jade
Sweedish, Emerald
Jassies, Emerald
Itearts, Meridian
Uncomplete, Emerald
Instructions, Emerald
Fleshmaiden, Emerald
Johnpickle, Meridian
Inghild, Meridian
Erikliskin, Meridian
Desh, Opal
Dexla, Cerulean
Sagaciter, Meridian
Ariastess, Emerald
Gailchips, Meridian
Kittentamer, Cerulean
Jublain, Cerulean
Lodaz, Meridian
Herowena, Cerulean
Shyl, Emerald
Metaalmeisje, Cerulean
Rainbowdashy, Emerald
Llilia, Cerulean
Motaro, Emerald
Ellenmaria, Emerald
Bisca, Emerald
Pixelpixie, Cerulean
Wapro, Jade
Bunnylaroo, Emerald
Ching, Emerald
Catcritter, Cerulean
Lekton, Emerald
Gnirps, Cerulean
Grybeard, Meridian
Dawine, Cerulean
Demorga, Emerald
Wayfarer, Meridian
Justus, Jade
Ferd, Emerald
Crypsis, Emerald
Minsiem, Cerulean
Merovingien, Meridian
Imp, Meridian
Locu, Cerulean
Jstgeorge, Emerald
Nors, Meridian
Yoditay, Emerald
Phakey, Cerulean
Budclare, Meridian
Superelle, Emerald
Coconaut, Cerulean
Sadiekate, Cerulean
Scroogie, Cerulean
Inessa, Meridian
[Edit 30 times, last edit by Thalia at Sep 25, 2013 4:44:11 AM]
[Aug 27, 2013 7:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Re: Limited Edition Ship Design contest, Part II - Deadline September 24th, 2013 Reply to this Post

Woot woot
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[Aug 27, 2013 7:40:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Yay!! :D
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Aug 27, 2013 8:17:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kasukas

Thank you for running this event again!

Last time quite a few people entered Brigand King themed ships. Do the artist even concider these entries, or is it better not to use BK theme?
Inessa on Meridian and Emerald

[Aug 28, 2013 3:26:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Question: As one of the prizes, could you include a free rename like last event? :D
[Aug 28, 2013 9:22:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Last time quite a few people entered Brigand King themed ships. Do the artist even concider these entries, or is it better not to use BK theme?

The only hint I can give regarding themes is that copying the theme of an existing LE ship is not a good idea. Apart from that it's all up to you. I can't predict what will happen during the judging phase.

Question: As one of the prizes, could you include a free rename like last event? :D

Hm, yes, I'm pretty sure I could. ;)
[Aug 28, 2013 11:04:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

How many winners will there be, or is that not known now?
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Aug 28, 2013 5:18:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

How many winners will there be, or is that not known now?

I don't want to rule out completely that there might be more than one design chosen, but don't count on that. The plan is to chose one overall winner.
[Aug 28, 2013 5:48:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sweedish2

Boom E-mail sent! I might be a bit eager! :P
[Aug 28, 2013 9:26:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wikito

It's my first time using Yohoho Tools.
Is it possible to add your own design of a tile? I mean, adding a new piece of furniture that I've designed myself, like prow or a banner.

Maybe it's already explained in the Yppedia, but my English is not very good and I can't understand many things. n.n"
Wikito in Jade.
Uncomplete in Emerald.
[Aug 29, 2013 2:10:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

Is it possible to add your own design of a tile? I mean, adding a new piece of furniture that I've designed myself, like prow or a banner.

For this contest you may only use the elements which are already in the editor, no selfmade tiles or objects, please.
[Aug 29, 2013 5:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Are we allowed to use items that are usually not allowed in the given scene like the cherry tree?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Aug 29, 2013 6:04:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Are we allowed to use items that are usually not allowed in the given scene like the cherry tree?

Bunny used palm trees last time :)
Dexla d'Midnight
[Aug 29, 2013 8:25:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Oooo that was a player LE that is one of my absolute fav LE's!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Aug 29, 2013 8:35:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Booful

Oooo that was a player LE that is one of my absolute fav LE's!!!
PixelPixie; I collect Sunfish, Angelfish, Blowfish Pixelpixie avvy's Avvy by me
[Aug 29, 2013 8:35:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

Also, the Verdant class sloop has cherry trees in the hold, which is why I assumed palm trees were allowed :P
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[Aug 29, 2013 11:33:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Would we be allowed to add an additional/secret room, like some have had in the past?

Oh, and could we use an alternate piece of furniture instead of a certain station, say... flowers? (Or something else seemingly innocent.) I would leave two guns in their normal state, while the other two stations would be more... camouflaged.
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Minsiem at Aug 29, 2013 1:46:08 PM]
[Aug 29, 2013 11:59:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jongy5

Last time, the winning design had some of it's components whipped into shape by Arrrtists from scratch. My question is probably best expressed through example--

If I was desiring of a furniture element, which is nonexistent at this time. Could I use similar existing elements on YohohoTools and simply note them to be intended to be [x object] in the case that my design is selected? Or should I adhere as best I can to designs that are possible within the scope of furniture that is curently available such that the Dev's and Judges don't have to imagine up my design.

~If that makes sense
Musicologist : Self-proclaimed Master Minstrel mostly of Meridian

Message from Team Evil: Fine, we'll pass the petition along to Hera for you even though you're pro-Team Purple, but we refuse to be happy about it! #TeamEvilisAWESOME
[Aug 29, 2013 12:49:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

That is the biggest problem, when OOO do a LE they base it not on what is in tools, but make several new items. Makes our task as given very restricted especially as no notice will be taken of explanations or other drawings of the new elements. Given the variety in LEs since the last event huge variation in rooms even entire islands have been included inside LE sloops.

That is why most of last times were beach ones. Elements in tools not before used on a ship. It also won as that was what they were looking for to go with the new CI gators etc.
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JamesStGeorg at Aug 29, 2013 1:23:50 PM]
[Aug 29, 2013 1:08:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thalia
OceanMaster

You can use anything that can be found in the Island Editor. As Dexla correctly pointed out, we've had numerous LE ships in the past which used items you wouldn't normally find on a ship.

Would we be allowed to add an additional/secret room, like some have had in the past?

No, I'm afraid not, please stick to the 4 scenes of the template. We considered allowing additional ones, but in the end - for the sake of your and our sanity (or what's left of it..) and consistency - decided not to allow it this round.

Oh, and could we use an alternate piece of furniture instead of a certain station, say... flowers?

Yes, that's fine. But make sure you mark the new objects accordingly (under Object action command) and keep the overall station count the same.

Last time, the winning design had some of it's components whipped into shape by Arrrtists from scratch. My question is probably best expressed through example--

If I was desiring of a furniture element, which is nonexistent at this time. Could I use similar existing elements on YohohoTools and simply note them to be intended to be [x object] in the case that my design is selected? Or should I adhere as best I can to designs that are possible within the scope of furniture that is curently available such that the Dev's and Judges don't have to imagine up my design.

While it's certainly possible that custom graphics may be added by the arrrtists after a winner is selected, don't count on it while you design your ship. Or put differently, we'll judge what we see, so you need to work with what's already in the editor.
[Aug 30, 2013 8:05:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Thanks for the answers!
I just wanted to double-check on this one:

How much can I change the templates?
You are free to rearrange doors, windows, walls and room/scene layouts, so long as the basic footprint and size of the ship is maintained and the rough deck configuration is similar. Basically, you can play with but need to maintain the space available, and have it be recognizable as this shape of sloop with the correct number and type of stations.

By rearranging the walls, does that mean we can expand a scene slightly? I've attempted something with one of them that involves adding one more row of tiles, basically. I noticed it mentioned specifically in the previous contest that it was allowed, but I wasn't entirely certain from reading this one.
Minsiem, Like A Fox

[Aug 31, 2013 1:59:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Same basic footprint and adding a row of tiles is contradicting each other. I think we are allowed to move a window on a wall tile for example.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Aug 31, 2013 2:07:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sactos

I have a problem. I saw that the duty stations have something like this: " vessel:duty:gunnery " for the gunnery station or " vessel:duty:navigation " for the helm. I supose that's necessary to use the station. When I changed the cannons I copied that codes and pasted on the new cannons.
Now I don't know what code should I set on the navigation table, on the booty chest or on a sword rack. Help please.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sactos at Aug 31, 2013 2:13:36 AM]
[Aug 31, 2013 2:11:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kasukas

I have a problem. I saw that the duty stations have something like this: " vessel:duty:gunnery " for the gunnery station or " vessel:duty:navigation " for the helm. I supose that's necessary to use the station. When I changed the cannons I copied that codes and pasted on the new cannons.
Now I don't know what code should I set on the navigation table, on the booty chest or on a sword rack. Help please.

Nav table: vessel:navigate
Booty chest: vessel:booty
Sword rack: rack:swords (though this isn't necessary, unless you want the sword rack to be functional).

[Aug 31, 2013 2:50:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Itealt

I changed the flooring to a black carpet, and would like to change it back to a planked floor, but it causes the boat to turn in to an island and have water (like a moat around the planks).

Can i just note this in my email or can anybody help me with this issue?

You can send a tell to Itearts on meridian or reply here :-)

Thanks a lot!
[Aug 31, 2013 4:35:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kasukas

I changed the flooring to a black carpet, and would like to change it back to a planked floor, but it causes the boat to turn in to an island and have water (like a moat around the planks).

Can i just note this in my email or can anybody help me with this issue?

You can send a tell to Itearts on meridian or reply here :-)

Thanks a lot!

Instead of using Plank floor use this tile:
Base Layer/Vessel/Ship Deck

[Aug 31, 2013 7:50:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Same basic footprint and adding a row of tiles is contradicting each other. I think we are allowed to move a window on a wall tile for example.

Aye, that's how I would interpret it, but in the previous contest, Apollo said in the Q&A section "if you want the sterncastle to be larger, or to add a small fo'c'sle, that would be fine too - or move the mast a little forward or backward)". And he also talked about the basic footprint. So I wasn't sure if that was no longer an option.
Minsiem, Like A Fox

[Aug 31, 2013 12:13:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Do we actually have to "name" our ship? (And if we do have to, will points be taken off for a bad name?)

#namingissues
[Aug 31, 2013 4:28:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Too many ideas that all can not be made with Tools :(

Is there a way to turn off the autocomplete fringing that tools applies to flooring? It keeps adding posts underneath my flooring ><
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Sep 1, 2013 9:28:25 AM]
[Sep 1, 2013 9:25:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 318   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates