• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 84
Posts: 84   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11758 times and has 83 replies Next Thread
Jeriannah

Tyranny... Reply to this Post

C'mon, guys, get it together. I got two CI maps right off Jubilee, I show up ready to spend my money loading down a ship with booze and shot, and guess what? No booze to be had.

Are you too busy with the other islands you control to check Jubilee, and make sure it's got at least a decent amount of basic ship stock? Is that the problem? Or is it that you just don't care?

I mean, yeah, I can get my CBs there, but let's be honest - shooting in CI isn't nearly as fun as drinking, and yet I don't even have the option of buying SWILL!

I know, I know - I could buy it somewhere else and drive it all the way down, but man, you leave that kind of rum around me for any length of time, you know it's going to disappear. I've got plenty of limes and paper umbrellas. There will be a party on my bote, but no party in CI.

What will it take for you guys to start stocking fine rum, for sale, on Jubilee?
----------------------------------------
Anothersneak & Sneakysalt on Cerulean
---
I collect Guppy sloops. Send me a /tell or PM.

Avatar by Tilinka - a present from Arryarrwoot! :D
[Feb 12, 2013 11:27:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Re: Tyranny... Reply to this Post

Both these islands have distillery bazaars (too lazy to post twice). Perhaps you could take the opportunity to make a decent profit by opening your own stalls. Or other people could. Or someone could blockade them and take the island and ensure the constant sale of ship supplies. Or you could speak to them in game.

Or maybe this will work.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Feb 12, 2013 11:45:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

C'mon, guys, get it together. I got two CI maps right off Jubilee, I show up ready to spend my money loading down a ship with booze and shot, and guess what? No booze to be had.

If I recall correctly, Jubilee is the only island to be opened on either cobalt or midnight in the last three years. It is also in the weakest archipelago on cobalt. Both Cochineal and Pranamaya dropped under the population needed to spawn greens years ago and even napi has now dropped below 250 pop. Jubilee never had a chance to become truly colonized. The ocean would have been better if jubilee was never opened.

Just pretend that that the whole arch is uncolonized and be prepared to haul in everything you need.

/Yeah, my flag once had an island in that arch
//not bitter, just really sad.
///slashies!
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 12, 2013 11:49:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raider81

Also it could be likely the stock is there you just need to tell them to sell it. On TLM I have plenty of stock but I don't want to take away sales from Stall/Shoppe owners a simple /tell could have them turn it on. I haven't checked either island at all but did you see if there was stock for sell on immediate? I know it is a simple fix to just have it always on but some people like me are weird and just don't do it that way.
Crip- Cerulean
Crip- Cobalt
Raider- Midnight
Raider- Azure

Galene tells ye, "Glad you have a sense of humor. Nice to give you a little trouble for all the trouble you have given us!"
[Feb 12, 2013 11:55:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

I'm not interested in speaking in game to people, because I'm typically a little too busy with other things (right now, for example, winning more charts and then throwing my hands up in the air because they're off islands with no rum). No, in truth though, it's because if I'm not on a ship, I'm typically just running the game background (meaning I'll miss stuff). And if I am on a ship, I'm puzzling, not chatting.

If I have to start carting my own supplies, I will, but it seems a bit silly.

Crip - there's no fine rum available that I can see when I enter distilleries - it's greyed out, typically an indication that none of the shops either have the materials or labor to produce that item.

Are those really the only options? Drop a chest or open a stall? What about engaging the flag that controls each island in discussion, trying to think about things like incentives to draw in the distillers that are needed? I don't want to run a shop, no more than I want to run an island. I have enough trouble dealing with my own whiny self (and I've had decades to get used to me!), I can't imagine a whole island of folks.

Having said that, I'd like to see some alternatives brought up.
---

[Feb 12, 2013 12:03:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MorganaP

Nice to know you have no interest in speaking to me in game, does that make me feel like hauling in rum just for you to be honest you can be sure it doesnt.
Sure you have the option of engaging us as a flag in discussion to solve the problem of no rum, but the statement, "
I'm not interested in speaking in game to people" does not lend itself to opening discussions.

As has been said there is a distil bazar on Jubilie so perhaps a stall or two could see some pirates filling their pockets with extra poe.

Morgana
[Feb 12, 2013 2:10:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
upgrade431

Whoo Tyranny. Big flag, big islands, little stock. Thats the way they roll, yo.
-Upgradde on Cerulean and Emerald Ocean

-My words are my own, and are not a representation of others.
[Feb 12, 2013 2:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inquisition

Nice to know you have no interest in speaking to me in game, does that make me feel like hauling in rum just for you to be honest you can be sure it doesnt.
Sure you have the option of engaging us as a flag in discussion to solve the problem of no rum, but the statement, "
I'm not interested in speaking in game to people" does not lend itself to opening discussions.

As has been said there is a distil bazar on Jubilie so perhaps a stall or two could see some pirates filling their pockets with extra poe.

Morgana

Get back to gunning.

Damnit.
Armegin

Dexla's artwork.
[Feb 12, 2013 2:20:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

Morgana

As I said, I'm not interested in opening discussions in game, because when I am on the game, I'm puzzling on a vessel. I don't puzzle my best when I'm trying to split my attention between the puzzle and a conversation carried on in tells. Read the surrounding words. There was context there.

But if you'd like to engage me, in game, please tell me what times you're available for said discussion, and I'll do my best to open up a dialogue with you. I'm just not interested in spending every 2 minutes doing a /who on flag royalty to see who I can talk to, assuming anyone responds.

After talking with some crewmates and hearties who do shopkeep on occasion, who helped look at the information available, the spawns seem to be part of the issue. The items aren't available anywhere near at a reasonable price/quantity. You already have 6 distilling stalls, and 2 distilleries, so opening another stall won't work. You can open as many stalls as you like, that's not going to increase the spawns of commodities necessary for the production.

So, I repeat - what do I do? I don't want to become a merchant just to be able to pillage off of your island. I don't want to have to plan 2 hours moving commodities to sell your shopkeepers, or 10-15 LPs just to get rum, just so I can use a CI map.

Edit to clarify: I'm not posting this to be a jerk. I'm posting this because I really would like an answer. I'd love to be able to use my maps, but if it takes 2-3 hours of prep work to just barely have enough to get me in and out of the CIs, it's not worth it. I'll find maps elsewhere to use.

Perhaps there are other alternatives or options available. I don't know. What I do know is that Garnet arch is getting a reputation to be a barnacle spot for pillaging, SMHs, etc., because of the scarcity of basic ship supplies. Most of the other islands, though, at least have a little bit of fine rum.
---

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jeriannah at Feb 12, 2013 3:06:56 PM]
[Feb 12, 2013 2:49:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

You said you want fine rum. I don't know exactly, but I would assume that it's not so much the commodities that are the problem, but the need for expert labor to produce it. Anyone making fine rum is going to need to be able to find people that can take jobs at their shoppe/stall, or self supply. If they can't do either of those (I would assume finding labor on blue oceans is going to be harder than it once was), then they can't make the rum you want. Obviously, it's a lot easier to make grog and swill, so you're probably going to have to look at buying that instead of fine rum. Especially if the labor situation doesn't start looking any better.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the way islands are being run on Cerulean currently, but maybe someone has been buying up all the supplies in the area recently. Has the situation been this way for a long period of time on the islands you've mentioned, or have you just gotten unlucky with trying to buy ship supplies after someone has gone through and cleaned it out? If it's the former, it's probably a good idea to just look at Garnet from the perspective that Algol seems to have, unless you're prepared to self supply.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Feb 12, 2013 3:24:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

There is zero rum...of any kind. It's a poorly planned arch with the lack of islands that you can bid for sugar cane on. There are 2, waaaaay up at the top of the arch and Jubilee is waaaay down at the bottom. I know stalls can have merchants deliver it them. The highest on Jubilee is 11 poe (crazy). I think 9 and 7 for bid prices is high too, but in general bids are higher on the Cobalt side.

I'm not used to that side, but I think the layout is pretty inconvenient for those in the merchant game. At least I wouldn't want to merchant there.

Anyway - lots of stalls and not even swill. :/

So Governor, please provide something to drink :).
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Feb 12, 2013 3:44:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

I know for expert labor, you need a renowned or higher standing in the puzzle. Looking through the owners & managers of the shops & stalls there, I found 1 Legendary distiller (who is both a manager at a shop, and owner of a stall). So, labor might be part of the problem, but still, there's someone with both a stall and a shop, capable of producing the labor needed for fine rum.

I wouldn't even blink too much at grog or swill, but no one Jubilee is selling any of them. No one. Which is another part of the reasoning behind my thoughts that it might be commods - because even I can pull of basic distilling labor. In point of fact, Swill is the only option that's not greyed out (meaning at least one shop or stall has the capacity to produce said items, including labor and commods), but when chosen, it gives no buying options.

I've been running things off and around Jubilee for the past 3 weeks or so - or rather, I should say, attempting to run things - and it's been like this pretty consistently. I'm not a fan of bringing in my own booze bote, but I will likely end up having to take that option, as there doesn't seem to be another solution readily available.

Is this something I need to open up to the shopkeepers around Jubilee as well? Because I will. I'll heckle every decent distiller I know, and beg them to take jobs assuming your wages are competitive. I'll carve out some time to help run commods, no charge on my sailing time. Just give me some flippin' booze!

... Wow, that sounded desperate there at the end, huh? o.O
---

[Feb 12, 2013 3:56:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

With the labor and the commods being so problematic, if I was a distiller who enjoyed the merchanting game, I'd make the rum up on Coch or Napi and then run it down to a stall on Jubilee. If it's so dead down there, such a person would probably make a nice profit. Far easier to run rum than cane. As it is, I dislike distill and have my hands full of shoppes and stalls already, but it's worth someone doing it. Napi doesn't even have any distilling stalls at the moment, so I'm surprised cane is as high as it is. Prana is also nearly out of all alcohol. At Coch, there are a few active stalls, but there are only a few hundred grog for sale, and that's it. Only Carmine has over 1000 rum/grog/swill.

The problem I see here is assessing the demand. I assume there are flots and maps down there, but do people bother with them enough to make selling rum worthwhile?

I really wish I was able to do expert distill, but I haven't ever been able to, and our flags distillers are at capacity already.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Feb 12, 2013 4:19:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raider81

With Carmine being blockaded this weekend the palace will be naturally emptied soon, if you need the rum get it now! I'll look into getting more rum on Pran there was 2 flotillas we have been working on and I must've missed the fact we were terribly low.
Crip- Cerulean
Crip- Cobalt
Raider- Midnight
Raider- Azure

Galene tells ye, "Glad you have a sense of humor. Nice to give you a little trouble for all the trouble you have given us!"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Raider81 at Feb 12, 2013 5:03:25 PM]
[Feb 12, 2013 5:02:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Greg4545

Ahoy.

While cane, wood and iron are definitely needed to make rum, the biggest commodity in distilling is labour. As a distiller, I have discovered this early on.

There aren't many people in the game who can provide expert distilling labour and not that many more than can crank out skilled. The problem lies in the puzzle. While some love the distilling puzzle, and it is certainly an awesome puzzle, most pirates I talk to about this find the puzzle too hard and consequently stay away from it. In fact, from the discussions I had, I would hazard a guess that it's one of the hardest puzzles in the game and the least one played. Again, just a guess, but it certainly doesn't enjoy the popularity of blacksmithing, for instance.

This leaves distillers in a pickle. Most find it hard to get labour and when they do, the employees often leave the puzzle inactive enough so that it expires, without a desire to refresh it. As a consequence, many distillers provide their own labour, through the elaborate network of alts and second accounts.

I know I am generalizing here, but having been in the rum business for some time, I have learned a thing or two about how this world works. Distillers who start a new distillery must contend with the fact that they will need all three kinds of labour if they want to compete in swill, grog and rum. Rum is where the best profits are, usually. By comparison, the Ironworkers only need two kinds of labour (basic and skilled) to provide all three kinds of shot. That fact, combined with a bigger popularity of the ironworking puzzle, makes an IM a better business prospect. The profits in rum are rarely as high as those in cannon balls. Mugs (for those ambitious who make them) are also a much worse seller than swords.

All the above are part of the reason why distilleries exist in abundance in some parts of the ocean and are practically dead in another. If you combine this with the fact that the archipelago in question has a very unfavorable distribution of sugar cane in relation to Jubilee, it's easy to see why Jubilee is not an attractive target for rum makers and those who have tried doing business there have quickly gotten discouraged.

That said, as mentioned before, an enterprising distiller with some time on his hands and a good knowledge of commod running, could probably make a good buck there, but even then, the profits in rum are rarely big, untill you can cover serveral nearby islands with your product.

Blackmane
[Feb 12, 2013 5:09:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

Excellently said Blackmane. Especially the note about rum vs. shot on expert labor. I think taking the expert out of rum would probably hurt those who do manage to produce it, but I wonder if leaving it in is hurting the game too much, generally.

Do wood and iron get sold in to Coch & Napi stalls/shoppes? There isn't a good place to get either, though Iron is the bigger problem, it looks like.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Feb 12, 2013 5:30:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

With due respect, Blackmane, I disagree. Being someone who owns several distilleries in multiple arches, including two in Garnet, I can speak from current experience.

While you are correct that labor is the greatest commodity in distilling, and the scoring curve on the puzzle (mad worse by extending the CC limit beyond 12 so the elites could parse themselves among each other) makes it difficult to generate expert labor, there are two assumptions you make that I wish to address.

The first is that the greatest profit is not to be made on rum, but rather on grog. Because expert is hard to garner, high wages are typically offered for expert labor. However, a corresponding increase in the amount charged for expert labor cannot be made. Why? Because of public perception and "PoE per Proof". Public perception of proper pricing tends to manifest in efforts to keep the rum price below 70 PoE per unit. The only time it tends to go above this is when there is a regional corner on the market. Holding the price in the mid-60s is almost a guarantee that the markup on expert labor is small. Add to that the simple math that with grog pricing in the low to mid 30s, the PoE per Proof offers a better deal to the purchaser - smart purchasers check this, and lean towards grog when the price break is on their side. Skilled labor being easier to find or to self-produce, the cost of that labor does not need to be as high to attract laborers, and the markup is correspondingly more profitable to the manufacturer. Therefore, lack of expert labor may be the excuse for no fine rum on the island, but it is unlikely that lack of basic or skilled labor is the reason for the lack of grog or swill.

The second is the assumption that anyone that opens a distilling stall or shop is doing so for the purpose of producing liquor. In my case, all but two of my distilleries were opened for the sole purpose of producing hemp oil for my collocated apothecaries. In the case of my distillery on Carmine, I do occasionally run in sugar cane from up north (I LOVE the DNav puzzle) and produce swill and grog for sale in order to cover the weekly tax. However, way more often, I am running in hemp from next door to make hemp oil in order to produce paints in my apoth in order to sell to the SYs for LE ship production. Overall, I make a decent profit doing that rather than worrying about supplying ships.

That being said, I do believe that it is the governor's responsibility to ensure that ship supplies are available for sale in the event that shopkeepers are not producing. I've been called out on that point in the past when I've been the governor of a dry island, and I have always immediately moved to correct the problem. That being said, making the product available does not mean the governor has to lose money doing it. If the palace is the only place selling, it becomes a function of the free market as to what price the palace can charge and still draw activity to the island.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Feb 12, 2013 5:42:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

There aren't many people in the game who can provide expert distilling labour and not that many more than can crank out skilled. The problem lies in the puzzle. While some love the distilling puzzle, and it is certainly an awesome puzzle, most pirates I talk to about this find the puzzle too hard and consequently stay away from it.

The problem with expert labor for distilling has almost nothing to do with the puzzle.

The problem is that an absolute maximum of top15% of all active puzzler can provide expert labor. This is true for all puzzles, not just distilling. Rum, however, requires 33.3% of its labor to be expert, which obviously is about twice as much as can be provided. There are fools who demand rum and will pay a huge premium for it, but most of that premium goes to the 15% of the laborers that can provide expert.

The solution is to buy grog and/or swill. it is usually is cheaper and easier to get.

If you combine this with the fact that the archipelago in question has a very unfavorable distribution of sugar cane in relation to Jubilee,

The "unfavorable distribution" was a deliberate design choice made by OOO for cobalt/viridian. OOO made sure that each basic commodities spawn in small areas and you rare get all the critical commods near each other. If you have cane, you are missing iron or wood. Lots of important minerals/herbs spawn on only one island. So, for example, moab spawns cane in jubilee's arch, but it is also the only island on the cobalt side of cerulean that spawns chalcocite. So, most of that cane is probably being shipped off to distant islands that are paying 200PoE more for chalcocite.

In order for Jubilee to get things like cane delivered, merchants there need to be buying lots of other stuff in reasonable quantities. The problem is that I doubt Jubilee gets that much business. Sure, if flotillas/SMH charts start spawning near it, the island's stock can be wiped out, but if there isn't any special needs, the regular business may well not be enough for even one stall.

With the low population spread so thinly over so many islands, not all islands can have a healthy economy.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Feb 12, 2013 6:25:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Conflictted

I'm not interested in speaking in game to people, because I'm typically a little too busy with other things (right now, for example, winning more charts and then throwing my hands up in the air because they're off islands with no rum). No, in truth though, it's because if I'm not on a ship, I'm typically just running the game background (meaning I'll miss stuff). And if I am on a ship, I'm puzzling, not chatting.

Crip - there's no fine rum available that I can see when I enter distilleries - it's greyed out, typically an indication that none of the shops either have the materials or labor to produce that item.

Are those really the only options? Drop a chest or open a stall? What about engaging the flag that controls each island in discussion, trying to think about things like incentives to draw in the distillers that are needed? I don't want to run a shop, no more than I want to run an island. I have enough trouble dealing with my own whiny self (and I've had decades to get used to me!), I can't imagine a whole island of folks.

Crip and I know for a fact Rum was avalible there. I bought 400 units from the stall (walking in and ordering immediatly) and 50units just then for my CI (10minutes ago)
~Crowned of the Cerulean Ocean
~Captain of Bibo Ergo Sum ( I drink therefore i am)

Herowena says, "Are we thralling?"
Crowned says, "does a bear barnacle in the woods?"
[Feb 12, 2013 6:38:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

Crip and I know for a fact Rum was avalible there. I bought 400 units from the stall (walking in and ordering immediatly) and 50units just then for my CI (10minutes ago)

I'll find you in game, because I'm standing in the distilling bazaar right now, with 15k on hand, and unable to buy anything - no options come up at all for grog or fine rum, as they are greyed out, and swill, while not greyed out, does not give any options to purchase.

Edit to add - and that situation has been going on all day long, and throughout the past few weeks.
---

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jeriannah at Feb 12, 2013 6:44:04 PM]
[Feb 12, 2013 6:41:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Well it was not there when I looked and when I wrote my post. So this means it was taken care of VERY recently. That's awesome they are now selling rum.

Edit: Maybe you bought them all out? I'm here now and they aren't.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TexasBeesh at Feb 12, 2013 6:47:00 PM]
[Feb 12, 2013 6:44:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MorganaP

TOUNGE FIRMLY PLANTED IN CHEEK HERE

See this is why i cant ship in rum, Armegin keeps me too busy gunning, anyone who has ever seen me gun knows what a huge task that is. ROFL

On a serious note yes the issue of no rum on the island does need to be adressed, and while i do not have the answers on exactly how that can be done, i along with the other Tyranny Royals are open to discussion on how we can help achieve to fix things

Morgana
[Feb 12, 2013 11:29:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

/me Blames Armegin ;)

The "unfavorable distribution" was a deliberate design choice made by OOO for cobalt/viridian.

Why would the devs do this? Well, do this to the extreme that has been done on the cobalt side...Any talk on this somewhere else on the forum?

On the Midnight side, not everything is spawned on the same island, but at least it's reasonable. I think the economy is better and prices are more stable.

Maybe it's simply not feasible or worth it for those in the merchant sector to deal with rum on Jubilee. I can understand given the junk spawn/bid layout that was given. :S

I had a stall on Nu and with prices reaching 11 poe for sugar cane (on a bad day) and the horribly SLOW fill rate due to mowing over spawn points. It was hard to make a profit and keep rum at a reasonable price. I was paying 70 poe for expert too. I bought the cane from the Emerald arch and would ship it in. Lots of work, little profit, so shut it down almost a year later.

After looking at the issues and having dealt with them myself - I can see why there is no rum.

Denim Drunks is probably getting most of the sugar cane b/c of the 11 poe buy price, so why isn't the shop producing? Or is this the Kade reserve shop?
[Feb 13, 2013 6:03:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Conflictted

Well it was not there when I looked and when I wrote my post. So this means it was taken care of VERY recently. That's awesome they are now selling rum.

Edit: Maybe you bought them all out? I'm here now and they aren't.

I bought about 350 units from a shoppe Monday around 6PM game time... Crip was with me when i did this (since i could not buy any dockside) Also Last night, around 6:30PM pirate time, I ordered 50 more units (which both orders were delivered immediatly) After those 2 purchases there are none left that I see at this time, but for 2 days that i can account for, rum was able to be bought out of the shoppes immediatly.
~Crowned of the Cerulean Ocean
~Captain of Bibo Ergo Sum ( I drink therefore i am)

Herowena says, "Are we thralling?"
Crowned says, "does a bear barnacle in the woods?"
[Feb 13, 2013 6:48:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Right, the bots bring in 64 units of sugar every 2-3 days, you will find that makes little rum, it does not come in on a daily basis even at 11.

We do run it down (to Denim Drunks) when we are able from Napi Peak. Denim Drunks and Madmike are the only people who have been regularly producing rum/grog/swill on the island for months now. No sooner do either of us make it than it sells.

2 shops and 6 stalls in total, yet you will find only 2 produce. Perhaps opening a stall yourself somewhere in the arch might help.

I have remedied the situation for the moment as a run has been done, but that stock will not last as people buy it up and stockpile it.

Certainly open to any suggestion people have
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Feb 13, 2013 8:16:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jeriannah

I'm not into the shopkeeping. Too many numbers, too many variables. It's not my thing. I know some people get it, but if I hate bilge (which I do), then the shopkeeping "puzzle" is a billion times worse in my eyes.

(Please understand the above to mean that it's emphatically not my cup of tea, and I admire anyone who can do it well, but will never throw my hat in that ring. Not me knocking those who do shopkeep.)

I'm willing to accept that I've been hitting the shops at bad times - excepting yesterday, I haven't been consistently checking each hour or so. So, it might have been off luck that each time I went to load my CI, there was no rum available.

This might be a dumb question, but given the dual issues of expert labor and sugar cane availability, would any of those shops or stalls be willing to produce grog? For every 20 units of fine rum capable of being produced, you can do 30 units of grog. And honestly, I don't think anyone's hold (at least for CIs and pillages) will be so screwed up if they have to buy 30 grog instead of 20 rum. The difference in volume and sizing is negligible even on sloops.

I've heard the royals weigh in (and thank you guys - so much easier than trying to /who and keep a conversation tracked in game), and I've heard from other shopkeepers, but not anyone on Jubilee. Any of you shopkeepers out there? Willing to weigh in?

Cala - as an aside, if you need help sailing sugar cane, let me know when you normally do it. I'm typically good on sails and will gladly help out.
---

[Feb 13, 2013 8:36:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

I have remedied the situation for the moment as a run has been done, but that stock will not last as people buy it up and stockpile it.

Bold mine, but there's a possible answer to what's happening.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Feb 13, 2013 8:37:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Yeeesh! 64 is nothing. 15 sugar cane to make 10 units of fine rum. Even if you make Grog, its still nothing.

I don't think people stock piling is the problem. It's the layout of comods and the lack of merchant delivery.

I haven't looked to see what nearby islands are asking. If they are above 11 then they will get the bulk of the cane.
[Feb 13, 2013 8:54:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

I will add that whoever keeps mass buying to stockpile isn't helping the situation at all.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Feb 13, 2013 9:48:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Waterspout7

A few weeks back I too was attempting to stock CI runs that spawned of Spectre and Surtsey and at the time had a hard time finding rum.

I recall it was only to be had at Cochineal and Jubilee actually, so I ended up buying the stock and leaving it on a stock sloop ported at Spectre to be used for the various runs.

I like to load the occasional big ship for SMH and Flotilla attacks but because of the high price for stock and the scarcity of rum I am less likely to even consider loading a larger ship in that archipelago. This in of itself should be a concern for the island owners if the availability or lack thereof of basic stock requirements keeps business away. It generates a feedback of the perception stock can't be had, so why should I try to load, leading to less purchase of stock and less need to generate it.
Waterspout on Cerulean, Captain of the Mad Mutineers
Prince in Flag Otherworld

[Feb 13, 2013 9:55:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 84   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates