• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 2964
Posts: 2964   Pages: 99   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 283863 times and has 2963 replies Next Thread
Nalanthi

Re: ROMS: (DC)XV -- GAME ON Reply to this Post

Setsusa wrote: 
Nalanthi wrote: 
That is an awfully solidly stated conclusion drawn from one post. Methinks it might have been smarter to wait and see what phoe said...

/e peers quizzically in Setsua's and Phoe's general direction.

Not worth watch listing.... yet.

I'm bold about my opinions in either direction, I think that you can sit there and make arguments for why Rogue Phoe would post in PM and in thread and why Innocent Phoe would post in PM and in thread and they're going to be fairly similar.

I'm guessing you missed it, but it's Setsusa, not a big deal, just pointing it out for when people go to search later.

Must ... resist.... urge... to... make.... lethal.... edit....
----------------------------------------
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[May 24, 2012 2:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Nalanthi wrote: 
Must ... resist.... urge... to... make.... lethal.... edit....

I'm watching you, Wazowski. Always watching...
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 24, 2012 2:39:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

Nalanthi wrote: 
That is an awfully solidly stated conclusion drawn from one post. Methinks it might have been smarter to wait and see what phoe said...

I strongly disagree with this. It is almost always pro-town to take "stated" (solid, clear) positions, which can be attacked and defended. Explaining that an event may indicate a player's innocence or guilt is nothing but filler content, and conveniently leaves the door open to take whatever position one wants later. If a rogue takes solid positions it is more likely to put them in awkward positions than if not.

It doesn't matter that the position arises from what was said in one post, either. If a rogue has actually made a slip, then that's all the evidence the town needs to go after them.

I don't think asking about the night's operation is suspicious (if anything, I think it points slightly towards innocence), for the record. I will remember that the question was asked, and what the reactions to its asking were, though.
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[May 24, 2012 2:51:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

This has been described as a role-and-item heavy game. I think it's significantly more likely than usual that we'll hit an innocent with something shiny if we do lynch Day 1. For this reason, I'm leaning more towards not lynching. I don't get the reasoning behind not voting Abstain, though. Could someone explain?

If I were a roled or itemed Phoenyx, I most definitely would not post that mod question in the thread. Then again, I'm not a Phoenyx at all. It's entirely possible that it's a JMT. It's also entirely possible that she thinks it's such an item/role-heavy game that all innocents have an item/role, so it's not an issue to ask about night actions.

Talisker wrote: 
There's really no good reason for asking in thread, if you're innocent.
This bugs me a little, because Phoenyx gave a reason for asking in the thread.

JMR wrote: 
I don't think a rogue would so-easily out themselves so early in Day 1.
This also is odd. I don't know why you would call it a rogue outing themselves when she's asking about night actions -- which innocents also have. If you said it doesn't make sense for a roleholder to out themselves, sure. However, I don't think it's so obviously a JMT that you could say a rogue wouldn't "so-easily out themselves".
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 2:54:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Riku wrote: 
Talisker wrote: 

I didn't say no reason was provided. There's a conditional and an adjective you're ignoring there.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 24, 2012 2:59:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

Nalanthi wrote: 

I strongly disagree with this. It is almost always pro-town to take "stated" (solid, clear) positions, which can be attacked and defended. Explaining that an event may indicate a player's innocence or guilt is nothing but filler content, and conveniently leaves the door open to take whatever position one wants later. If a rogue takes solid positions it is more likely to put them in awkward positions than if not.

It doesn't matter that the position arises from what was said in one post, either. If a rogue has actually made a slip, then that's all the evidence the town needs to go after them.

I don't think asking about the night's operation is suspicious (if anything, I think it points slightly towards innocence), for the record. I will remember that the question was asked, and what the reactions to its asking were, though.

Agreed. Rogues can always communicate via the rogue docs, unless there's an indie rogue type role anyway. I think I'm disregarding that comment as a sign for the time being.

The person who said they're likely to mix up lynches and bans though, why do you feel that? eyebrow raised thataway. (Dwizzles!!)
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[May 24, 2012 3:01:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
firebolt153

Mads wrote: 
The person who said they're likely to mix up lynches and bans though, why do you feel that? eyebrow raised thataway. (Dwizzles!!)

He did say in this post that he was a ROMS newbie
Rinni on the Emerald Ocean

Rachaelj says, "i was like no do you normally stare at people in toilets??"
[May 24, 2012 3:06:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mrbriney

#Vote: firebolt153

Gut.

That hashtag thing is going to take some getting used to.
It's MR BRINNNEEEYYY
[May 24, 2012 3:16:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Talisker wrote: 
Riku wrote: 
Talisker wrote: 

I didn't say no reason was provided. There's a conditional and an adjective you're ignoring there.

Why don't you think it's a good reason? (I'm assuming here that if she's innocent, she thinks that most/all innocents have a role or item, because that's the only way it makes sense)
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 3:17:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

Mads wrote: 

He did say in this post that he was a ROMS newbie

pfft. YOU'RE a ROMS newbie! #thisjokestartedontwitter.

Serious attempt at posting though, is that something you'd worry about as an innocent?
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[May 24, 2012 3:18:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Mrbriney wrote: 
Vote: firebolt153

Gut.

lolwut?
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[May 24, 2012 3:18:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JMRUDNICK

I second this? What? ^
JeanneMarie of Obsidian
Formerly of Meridian
Captain of Lion's Roar
Princess of Placeholder
[May 24, 2012 3:26:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bunnylaroo

riku wrote: 
I don't get the reasoning behind not voting Abstain, though. Could someone explain?

My understanding of the inner workings of vote totals is shaky at best, but I think an Abstain vote contributes toward the 50% while a no vote does not, so that could be why people prefer to no-vote rather than abstain when they are against a Day 1 lynch.

As usual, I will vote when I'm confident that someone is a rogue; whether or not that will happen toDay remains to be seen.

As to the Phoenix Saga: (see what I did there? But that's Marvel, not DC)

It's Day 1 and we're already dropping not-too-subtle hints about having night actions?

Preview Edit: LOL like 6 new posts since I started this one...slow down you guys...
Bunnylaroo of Sage Emerald

[May 24, 2012 3:31:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AhoyLindsay

mads wrote: 
Serious attempt at posting though, is that something you'd worry about as an innocent?
I think as a newbie, yes. If Dwizzles heard that mixing up lynch and ban is considered suspicious, he'd probably be paranoid about mixing them up regardless of his status. And even if he's a rogue, the game hasn't been going on long enough for him to really have developed a habit of mixing them up, which means he can't know he's more likely to do it as a rogue. So I don't see it as a status-specific worry in this case.

Thus far suspicion-wise I'm looking at Talisker, because he seems to backing off from his original statement about Phoe (from "there's no good reason to do that as an innocent" to "I don't mean to imply that she's a rogue"). To some extent it's just clarifying, but then the addition of
Talisker wrote: 
As to Phoe in specific, the "Suspicious of everyone" is very true to form for her. I don't remember a specific case of C&Ping the player list, but it's just a variation on her standard. I'm not jumping to suspicion, but I don't have a problem watchlisting her.
Reads to me as trying to balance out his earlier moves, in order to not seem as if he is jumping too quickly. Watchlist there.
Castawayjoe of the Midnight Ocean.
To err is human, but to arr is pirate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catharsis on Cobalt and Malachite.
[May 24, 2012 3:36:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhoenyxStar

Talisker wrote: 

That's a surprisingly salient point for so early in the game. There's really no good reason for asking in thread, if you're innocent.

Because it was 3am, I'd already lost one post and hadn't slept at all really in the past 2 days with child coughing his lungs out just as I'd drop off to sleep. You'd be surprised what makes sense in a sleep deprived brain. Not to mention role/item heavy if everyone who has something to post at night PMd that question to our mods, they'd hit that damn PM limit that this forum has.

Then of course there's the other thing that's happened as a result, which whilst not my intention is a happy accident - there's something OTHER than Meta being talked about on day 1.

Take what you will from it, please, watch me closely. I have no problem with that. But please, if you're going to vote for me 3 Days down the track - have something OTHER than my first post to go on.

Thank you for clarification for my questions Mr Moderator.

As to the not voting Abstain, it strikes me as somewhere that the Rogues can hide this game if everyone's spread out, because really, there's never a consensus about voting Abstain. Have to take boy to school now, will be back later - that and the forums are due to go down sometime today and I want this to post unlike my post last night that I lost that I'm still sure I'm forgetting something from.
~ Phoenix or Danae

Depends on the colour of your ocean really.
[May 24, 2012 3:46:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
The_Jokerina

Mousbait wrote: 
Who might you be? :)
The Jokerina, obviously! hehe

A gut vote so early in the game Mrbriney? But the party has just begun! Maybe stay away from the sour cream dip.
[May 24, 2012 3:49:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
smileo

Lynching phoenix for a Day 1 question would be classic town behavior. we both think it frivolous to seek a rogue there.
not saying she's innocent, but thats a brick, not a wall.

Yeah, now will you PIPE DOWN AND LET ME SLEEP! I'VE HAD 12 HOURS WORK AND 5 HOURS OF COMMUTE AND IM UP FOR THE SAME IN LESS THAN 6 HOURS /yell

Will try

#vote:abstain

/whisper
'Tis not true, that I are psychologically challenged
I prefers the term "Mentally Hilarious"

Smiley
Could very well be a rogue.
[May 24, 2012 3:54:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
firebolt153

Try to help out a fellow ROMS newcomer=get gut voted. Got it.
Rinni on the Emerald Ocean

Rachaelj says, "i was like no do you normally stare at people in toilets??"
[May 24, 2012 3:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

mads0001 wrote: 
kotetsu534 wrote: 
Nalanthi wrote: 

Agreed. Rogues can always communicate via the rogue docs, unless there's an indie rogue type role anyway. I think I'm disregarding that comment as a sign for the time being.

@Kotetsu
I agree, that taking solid clear and stated positions is good, when they are warranted. That just seemed like a very um vocal and rapid defense.

I also think that Phoe's question does not indicate guilt. I am more interested in getting people talking and defending their reasoning. I feel like Phoe's explanation there did not merit such a full throated defense from Setsusa, I would rather see Phoe speak for herself. This drew my ..curiosity as I feel that Setsusa is making a broad statement based on limited evidence. I will always challenge statements based on what I think is insufficient evidence.

@Mads
As someone who has been listening to their wife talk about this game for literally years, it took me quite a while to get lynch and ban straight. Not saying don't watch Dwizzles, just adding some anecdotal evidence.

@Everyone
There are 32 people playing. That would equate to 4-5 rogues by standard mafiascum numbers(1:7 ratio). Unless we actually think we have gathered serious information on day 1, that gives us a 16% chance of nabbing a rogue.

Now this is supposed to be a role and item heavy game, I would guess that the town has 3-5 power roles (tracker, doctor, passwordstealer, at a bare minimum). Lets go with 4 as an average. That gives a 13% chance of killing a power role. That is only 3% off from killing a Rogue.

In a game with fewer or no power roles, I think that the town should start lynching from day 1. It is there only tool. In this game, we can be pretty sure they are out there. Let's give them some time to work before we accidentally lynch one of them.

@Ettiquette Question
How do we feel about quote pyramids?
-Midnight (Retired)
-Viridian (Retired)
-Malachite
[May 24, 2012 4:29:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

Crap, so it is superheros and not politics? My avatar no longer fits. Kinda sadfacing on that.

Strange things so far:
  • People seem to have a lot of policies set in stone this game. "I will do this, definitely." It seems vaguely like a way to justify things after the fact (i.e. "Well I told you guys I'd do that!"). Obviously I'm smart enough to expect taelac to lynch anybody who edits by now, but I feel like there's more and more absolutes being thrown around. Part of that has to do with new faces (for me, at least), so I'll chill for now.

(Note that somebody else mentioned this already, but I wanted to chime in as well.)

• Furare's posts make me feel like I only have to read half of them (since the other half is in parentheses). That's not really important, though. but srsly that roleplay style is bugging me out >_____>

• Phoenix -- mod questions tend to read as innocent to me. I'd rather not get into the endless wifom here. I guess I'm leaning towards "frustrated thinking that we had an accidental outing" for now, especially after Searmin's whole "please don't..." post.

Also,

I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[May 24, 2012 4:30:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Smileo wrote: 
Lynching phoenix for a Day 1 question would be classic town behavior. we both think it frivolous to seek a rogue there.

What? Why isn't it worth looking?

Riku wrote: 
Why don't you think it's a good reason?

I've thought about this some while sitting in traffic and for me it comes down to a few things that come to mind here. First, I can't think of a time I'd do the same. Second, in a game naturally inclined to secrecy, doing something for "everyone" and that so blatantly hints at a night action is weird, it's definitely uncommon. So perhaps I just can't think of a good reason, and haven't seen one given. Finally, Elliptic's pretty blatant JMT from last game is fresh on the mind, as well as the fact that he was pretty much never called on it, so I'm a little warier there than usual.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[May 24, 2012 4:34:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

[quote"MrBriney"]
Gut.
[/quote]

Nalanthi demands evidence. I mistrust gut. I can create several probable reasons, gut just seems to be a way of saying "I don't want to take the time to figure out what my reasons are" or even "I don't want to bother explaining them to you."

u gib justification, be mai hearty?
-Midnight (Retired)
-Viridian (Retired)
-Malachite
[May 24, 2012 4:36:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Setsusa

Finally, Elliptic's pretty blatant JMT from last game is fresh on the mind, as well as the fact that he was pretty much never called on it, so I'm a little warier there than usual.

Elliptic slipping by entirely gave me the sad.
Cremate on Emerald.
Motou on Meridian.
[May 24, 2012 4:38:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Goats, you can be my superhero if you like.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[May 24, 2012 4:47:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Talisker wrote: 
I've thought about this some while sitting in traffic and for me it comes down to a few things that come to mind here. First, I can't think of a time I'd do the same. Second, in a game naturally inclined to secrecy, doing something for "everyone" and that so blatantly hints at a night action is weird, it's definitely uncommon. So perhaps I just can't think of a good reason, and haven't seen one given. Finally, Elliptic's pretty blatant JMT from last game is fresh on the mind, as well as the fact that he was pretty much never called on it, so I'm a little warier there than usual.

Actually, Rissa voted him for it. But that's beside the point. I certainly wouldn't do what Phoenyx did, but I don't think it's too unreasonable to think that she would with the reason provided.

Goats wrote: 
Crap, so it is superheros and not politics?

I don't believe anybody said that.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 4:49:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Oh, and in regards to quote pyramids - I tend to dislike them. Usually I try to just quote one person at a time, unless it's super relevant that whatever they're replying to is in there.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[May 24, 2012 4:49:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Smileo wrote: 

Will try

#vote:abstain

/whisper

You know what, the more I think about this, the more bothered I am by it. And I don't mean in an FoS sense, more a philosophical one. We're less than 12 hours into the game. It's been one of the more interesting openings yet, with actual concrete stuff talked about early in the day. There's been the odd wording from JMR raised, Phoe's possible JMT, and a completely baseless vote from Mr. B, and you pretty much just say it's silly to even look at Phoe, just forget day 1, no rogue hunting to be done here or anything. Just abstain.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 

Av by Ecastasy
[May 24, 2012 4:51:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Nalanthi wrote: 
How do we feel about quote pyramids?

Sometimes you need them. Don't forsake clarity just to avoid a pyramid.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 

Av by Ecastasy
[May 24, 2012 4:52:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

riku wrote: 
Goats wrote: 
Crap, so it is superheros and not politics?

I don't believe anybody said that.

I think I read "Gang" and interpreted that as like... the bad dudes that Batman fights. Plus y'all went hard on the superhero avatars, so I extrapolated. SO THERE'S STILL HOPE FOR MY AVATAR? :D

Quote pyramids... I tend to go with just the last quote in the chain, but I think the entire context (provided that you're not quoting Lyaka who's quoting Searmin who's quoting Lyaka) could be useful.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[May 24, 2012 4:56:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

Nalanthi wrote: 
Nalanthi demands evidence. I mistrust gut. I can create several probable reasons, gut just seems to be a way of saying "I don't want to take the time to figure out what my reasons are" or even "I don't want to bother explaining them to you."

I'm not sure how I feel about the "I can create several probable reasons". Voting on gut alone? Odd. "Creating" reasons to vote? Suspicious.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[May 24, 2012 4:58:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 2964   Pages: 99   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates