• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1166 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
SirCarl67

Monthly trophies to require a little bit of skill Reply to this Post

Every monthly trophy so far has required only participation in a variety of puzzles. A lot of pirates, particularly the lower skilled ones, like to collects these trophies so they could be used to encourage those who havn't bothered learning how to do the puzzles well to learn the basics.

I am still thinking the puzzles should be within the range of everybody, even if the habitual straight ables need to ask / look up YPPedia for some tips.

Examples might be:
Produce a duty report of good or better for 3 different piracy puzzles
Provide at least skilled level labor while doing 3 different crafting puzzles
Beat a bot in rumble, swordfight and drinking
----------------------------------------
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[May 31, 2010 12:38:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Monthly trophies to require a little bit of skill Reply to this Post

I believe the larger goal of these seals was to encourage people to participate, and it seems like they are having that effect. I do agree with giving people incentives to increase their skill levels, but I'd rather not see them conflated with inducements to participate. I see participation as a pre-condition to betterment; getting them out there gives them the chance to start doing better. Looking at your proposed triggers, for instance, we've had players in our crew from time to time that took two months to be able to get a good in each of the duty puzzles.

I know there was an intention to add in trophies for skill levels instead of having them mostly for experience, it might be better to accelerate that instead. Or to add other benefits for 'learning stuff' instead of 'doing stuff'.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 31, 2010 12:44:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krnasaur

If you remember a while back one of the seals required people todo 3 of the 4 expeditions. TH/dig/SMH/CI. This required people to have to either go on a SMH or a CI to get the seal. Alot of people were upset because they were not good enough and complained that the seals should be for everyone. I agree. Its one thing that it is getting the newer pirates out pillaging more, I think thats enough, requiring good or better etc seems silly
Weiner/Weinz

lotsofgoats says

Weiner for president!

[May 31, 2010 8:23:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EgoavilJ

Can we just get rid of them? They are extremely pointless, like the experience trophies...
~Nayfin~
-Lord of United We Stand on Viridian Ocean.
-Prince of Adrenaline on Malachite Ocean.

Good luck on Mala, I heard they're all a bunch of ignorant potheads.

~I'm back!~
[May 31, 2010 8:34:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Roleni

Trophies are, as a general rule, participation rewards. A good enough player will hit all the token trophies, for example, given enough time - just a better player will hit them faster. I think all your examples fall in line with that, to be honest - just more skilled players will get them with less participation. :P
Thalatta & others

Hera tells ye, "You got me so flustered by the spanking, I booched my chat response!"
Hera tells ye, "Purple is the most awesome colour ever!"
[May 31, 2010 8:34:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lagrange99

Can we just get rid of them? They are extremely pointless, like the experience trophies...

I think they're fun and encourage folks (even experienced players) to try things. If you don't like them, I suggest you ignore them, like I do for trophies that I don't care about.

On the main topic, I think participation is appropriate for these trophies. I shudder to think of a Must get Ex in Distilling seal.
Hybirius on Hunter
http://hunter.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Hybirius
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lagrange99 at Jun 4, 2010 12:33:20 PM]
[Jun 4, 2010 12:32:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
false_dmitri

They're fine the way they are (although spammy). Lots better for the game than experience trophies. They're usually easy to complete within a month without grinding, and they encourage people to try the whole game. No point locking anyone out of these participation trophies with performance requirements.
On hiatus. :(
[Jun 4, 2010 2:41:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I think it's better that everyone can get them if they want to.

. A good enough player will hit all the token trophies, for example, given enough time

They won't without skill (i.e. 'good enough' is limiting them by skill), the Pillars are awarded for tokens scored at Incredible. Not to mention Ultimate/No. 1 trophies ... obviously some trophies are skill based. But I do agree that seals probably shouldn't be.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Jun 4, 2010 5:10:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates