• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1854 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
TheRack

Make greeter shortkeys available to everyone Reply to this Post

ref - http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Greeter_shortkeys

Can it please be set such that all players... be they pink or yellow, have access to the greeter shortkeys?

Also, I'm assuming these have been around for a fair while... more curious than anything else, but any particular reason why these have never been avalible to the general population?
----------------------------------------
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Nov 3, 2009 7:24:08 PM]
[Oct 18, 2006 3:34:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pauling

Re: Greeter shortkeys Reply to this Post

While we're at it, can we add a few? For example, I noticed several people getting asked questions like "what is the meaning of life" or "what is the goal in this game/how do you win". Something to answer that easily without QM might be nice. Rough draft, but something like:

"Ahoy mate! This be a social game, where you play puzzles and pillage with human players for the gold to buy fun items like ships, clothes, and swords. Then ye can band together for larger goals like blockades too!"
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka
[Oct 18, 2006 5:30:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Falkenberg

The main reason these werent made public was to prevent abuse, because at about the same time they were introduced, there was a lot of abuse of the smaller mogs like repeating omg over and over. And when they fixed that, they actually broke a couple of the greeter mogs because they are longer than the transmission limit after being transformed.

As for getting new ones added, or the current ones modified, you need to poke Liz probably. The ones we have currently evolved out of a list from the middle of last year, so they are a tad out of date with the new puzzles and features.
Falkenberg - All oceans, but homed on Midnight
Proud owner of the Millennian Falkun, Dead Starfish, and X Wingfish on Midnight.
[Oct 18, 2006 9:29:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://twitter.com/@_woebetide_ [Link]  Go to top 
stripey2004

To illustrate Falkenberg's point -

Featherfin
SO - Ransack Marauders, Lord - Marauders Pact
YPPedia administrator | Island Designer
"What's the Welsh for sea cucumber?" - Orsino
[Oct 18, 2006 11:54:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeatherfinYIPP [Link]  Go to top 
satin11

I agree that the shortkeys would be highly useful, at least a few of them, anyhow, whether one is on duty or not. Most notably, the askbefore one. I've been looking for that one for months and didn't even know it:P
Seriously, I don't see any reason not to do this... yes, some might abuse it, but I think that the people that would use it without abusing it would greatly outnumber them, and I know that personally, it would help me out alot. I understand I can always switch on duty, use the shortkey, and then switch off, but I'm unlikely to do that... just doesn't seem right. So, yes, please... make these sorts of shortkeys available all the time:)
~Satin~
Cobalt/Sage
Nem wrote: 
I think this is the first thread I've seen that claims there aren't enough 'donkeys' in the game. Maybe you're hanging out with the wrong pirates.

[Oct 27, 2006 8:25:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/satin1111111/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I would like to make a new Greeter Shortkey suggestion. The "askbefore" is too long and unwieldy. Invariably, when I use this hotkey, the greenie (or not-so-greenie), just walks to the next person without saying a word and promptly challenges them. I think it's just too much to read.

May I suggest "Please ask before offering a challenge or a trade! It's much more polite."?
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jan 19, 2007 11:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Sorry um ... mind the bump. I failed to note the age of the thread.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jan 19, 2007 11:53:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Terrify

bump

Endorse.
Terrify, Hunter Ocean.

[Nov 3, 2009 10:13:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deceptive

bump

Endorse.

I endorse you un-endorsing this. ;)

Anyways, the problem with this, like someone else said, was that it would be easily abused and that such shortkey's are given as a privlige to those who have proven themselves to act maturly while playing the game. While I still believe that the Greeter System needs to be tweaked, sharing more privliges with new players, will then remove the game structer.

Greeters are made to look like a second power, just below the Ocean Masters, but in truth, they have little power, all they can do is answer questions. If the answers were to be come available to all, for all uses, it would diminish the roll of greeters, and therefore, when a new person is looking at this game, they will learn that there is no stage between Yellow and Blue. It would seem to them, that this game is 100% controlled by the Ocean Masters, and they won't let others help out. And that turns some people off.

I mean, if you take away the Answers, then all that differs a greeter then is the pink name, and a fancy chat.
I honestly don't care anymore.
[Nov 4, 2009 9:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Anyways, the problem with this, like someone else said, was that it would be easily abused and that such shortkey's are given as a privlige to those who have proven themselves to act maturly been around for a while without getting banned while playing the game.

Fixed :)
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Nov 5, 2009 7:35:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deceptive

Anyways, the problem with this, like someone else said, was that it would be easily abused and that such shortkey's are given as a privlige to those who have proven themselves to act maturly been around for a while without getting banned while playing the game.

Fixed :)

Same thing really, if you were immature, you would easily been suspended/blackspotted or banned. <.<
I honestly don't care anymore.
[Nov 6, 2009 8:36:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

The shortkeys are not a great privilege and can certainly be useful for all players. You don't have to be a greeter to warn someone not to spam, or to tell them how to earn PoE.

I don't see how extending the use of the shortkeys to everyone could be abused. I would certainly appreciate being able to use "warnspam," "faqearnpoe," and "warnspot" when I'm not on duty.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Nov 6, 2009 9:41:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates