• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 440
Posts: 440   Pages: 15   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
This topic has been viewed 192526 times and has 439 replies Next Thread
nickster_v

Re: YPPedia Q&A Thread Reply to this Post

If you wanted to, you could place an {{opinion}} or {{tutorialdisclaimer}} at the top of the page.

User pages can be searched, but it is disabled by default. Clicking the checkbox to search in the User namespace after the results have come up should show results from there.
----------------------------------------
Nickster, Viridian
SO, The British Eagles | YPPedia admin
[Aug 2, 2008 7:40:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

I need help with my yppedia pirate page. I recently added familiars to my page, but the header says familiars won. I didn't actually win them and want it to say familiars owned. I tried to copy/paste from Sweetiepiepi's yppedia page, but her code breaks my page.
Thanks!
Fizz -- RETIRED Senior Officer of Phoenix Warriors, Lady of Tyrs Own
[Sep 8, 2008 2:49:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Did you also copy the table that surrounds the familiar box and the infobox? The one that starts {|style="float:right;"? You need that to keep the rest of the page working properly.
[Sep 8, 2008 3:11:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

yes.. I tried all sorts of copy and pastes... with and without certain lines.. it still breaks my page.

EDIT: This is the code that I have tried to include on my page. Oh also, when I added Opal for an ocean that I have Fizz for a name.. it isn't the right background color. Anyone know the fix for that too?

{| style="float:right"
|- align="center"
|
{{Infobox pirate
|piratename= Fizz
|portrait= yes
|galleries= 1
|ocean1= Midnight
|rank1= senior officer
|galleries=2
|ocean2= Malachite
|rank2= senior officer
|galleries= 3
|ocean3= Cobalt
|rank3= fleet officer
|galleries= 4
|ocean4= Ice
|rank4= senior officer
|galleries= 5
|ocean5= Sage
|rank5= officer
|galleries= 6
|ocean6= Hunter
|galleries= 7
|ocean7= Viridian
|galleries=8
|ocean8= Opal

{{oceans|#=8|Midnight|Malachite|Cobalt|Ice|Sage|Hunter|Viridian|Opal}}

|- align="center"
|
{|style="background-color: #D5D5D5; border:1px solid #8888aa; padding:5px; margin-bottom:3px; width:176"
|- align="center"
! colspan="2" | '''Familiars Owned'''
|-
|{{Familiar box|Oceanname=Midnight|Type=octopus-purple|Name=Lila}}
|{{Familiar box|Oceanname=Midnight|Type=parrot-orange-tan|Name=Springy Prometheus}}
|}
|}

|trinket=yes
|trinkettype=OM doll
|trinketcolor1=Eurydice
|trinketcolor2=
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Fizz at Sep 8, 2008 3:46:13 PM]
[Sep 8, 2008 3:38:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

yes.. I tried all sorts of copy and pastes... with and without certain lines.. it still breaks my page.

You were missing the close braces for the pirate infobox. I've fixed it for you. =)

Oh also, when I added Opal for an ocean that I have Fizz for a name.. it isn't the right background color. Anyone know the fix for that too?

Aye, I noticed that too, but I'm not sure what caused it. It fixed itself when I fixed your problem. On a side note, you only need one galleries parameter.
[Sep 8, 2008 5:29:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Sweet! Thank you sooo much!
[Sep 8, 2008 6:07:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Is there a list of the 'most visited' yppedia pages available to mere mortals?
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Sep 12, 2008 5:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Sadly no. They had to turn off the pageviews type tracking in MediaWiki due to it being too database intensive.

The most popular pages we've been told are:
1. Main Page
2. Trophy/Trophies
3. Puzzles (Category)
4. House
5. Releases (including the Category)

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Sep 12, 2008 6:21:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Sadly no. They had to turn off the pageviews type tracking in MediaWiki due to it being too database intensive.

The most popular pages we've been told are:
1. Main Page
2. Trophy/Trophies
3. Puzzles (Category)
4. House
5. Releases (including the Category)

- Guppy

Righty. Indeed, that is a shame. Question two (I've started, so I'll finish); How does one go about nominating an article as a featured article? The 'War' page has been featured since 2008-06-15, and I'd love to send more traffic via the Tips and Tricks page, not least to counter the "PNTSA", (which does seem to be a litle better recently?) and to encourage others to enter the Avatar Revolutions contest, which has been a long-time-coming.
Domokun
[Sep 13, 2008 2:11:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Righty. Indeed, that is a shame. Question two (I've started, so I'll finish); How does one go about nominating an article as a featured article? The 'War' page has been featured since 2008-06-15, and I'd love to send more traffic via the Tips and Tricks page, not least to counter the "PNTSA", (which does seem to be a litle better recently?) and to encourage others to enter the Avatar Revolutions contest, which has been a long-time-coming.

Just write one up and bring it up at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template_talk:Featured_article (just start a new section, the contest is currently on hiatus). I'll check it over and put it in if it's appropriate. If it's a subject that will expire (contest), please think up something to have put in after the deadline is past.

- Guppy
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Sep 13, 2008 4:55:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

I'm not sure where to put this, but I was looking up clothing on the wiki. The sleeping cap for females isn't listed in the table for non-subscribers on sub oceans. I would have added it myself, but I'm still able in figuring out how to work the wiki properly.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Sep 21, 2008 8:01:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Done. It was missing because the female sleeping hat is relatively recent addition to the game. =)
[Sep 22, 2008 1:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Just write one up and bring it up at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template_talk:Featured_article (just start a new section, the contest is currently on hiatus). I'll check it over and put it in if it's appropriate. If it's a subject that will expire (contest), please think up something to have put in after the deadline is past.

- Guppy

Thanks, Guppy. All done.
Domokun
[Sep 22, 2008 2:24:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
amoyer

Guppy wrote: 
Just write one up and bring it up at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Template_talk:Featured_article (just start a new section, the contest is currently on hiatus). I'll check it over and put it in if it's appropriate.

seb_long_uk wrote: 
All done.

I think you missed something here. As with all of the featured articles, they have been an article written about a subject and not just the page of that subject. What I see is you are recommending just posting that page as the featured article. Have a look at the current featured article, war; it is not the entire war page uploaded onto the main page. I believe what you were asked to do is to write up something, whether it be a summary of the topic, or a specific portion of the topic, and that would be considered for the featured article. What you have recommended for the featured article is far to long to start with for inclusion on the main page. As was recommended in the contest that put content into this space, it should be between 200 and 300 words.
Cedarwings
Captain of the Crew Schmew of the Flag Schmag
Cobalt Ocean
Oceanus wrote: 
"I hear Atlantis is all fun and giggles"

[Sep 22, 2008 6:29:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Ah, I see. That wasn't so clear. Ye're after a 2-300 word introduction/summary of the article to be included on the front page. I has assumed that Guppy wanted a formal written application for the article.

I will work on the summary. It'll be seen by, well, everyone that I'd like to read the article, so I'd like it to be perfect. Will get back to you, and post in place of the current application. I may as well leave the existing misunderstanding in place, if only for others to have a giggle.

Domo
Domokun
[Sep 22, 2008 8:40:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

I recently discovered that userpages don't turn up in searches and I would like one of my pages, the Screenshot Editing tutorial , to be searchable. I know that pages can be moved, but I feel like I should ask permission to do so. Also, do I have to add a disclaimer stating that its largely my opinion? There is some Revolution propaganda mixed in with all the advice.

Five years later, I manage to notice this. I'll move it over to Howto:Alter a screenshot. Then I will put a section in the Howto:Take a Screenshot article mentioning altering with a pointer to your article. This gets it on the radar as "screenshot" redirects to the take a screenshot article.

- Guppy
[Sep 25, 2008 8:37:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

Have the bot names always changed at the Inns? I have been adding the bot names to the Inn pages I update/create due to seeing it been done by others. Today I noticed the bot names had changed in-game for the Aimuari Inn and the Armstrong Inn, both on Hunter.

If it is the case that they change is it worth even listing them any more?

Aimuari Inn
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by gunnermooch at Sep 27, 2008 9:34:18 AM]
[Sep 27, 2008 9:33:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

They do change, Edit: with reboots, I don't believe that bots are something worth listing by name, however if the general consensus is that it would be valuable information, I will look into it.
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemesis at Sep 30, 2008 3:55:40 PM]
[Sep 27, 2008 1:15:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Estam

What do we include under Trophy Sections? Reply to this Post

Taking the YPPedia entry for Cursed Isles as an example, why are the trophies such as Driftwood, Pillars of Bilge, and Spires of the Tackle included under Trophy Section along with the Briny Mask and Enlightened Eradicator?

I get it, because in the Isles, maneuvers are included and so Maneuver-related trophies could be awarded to players... But why aren't the Incredible Sailor, Golden Gunnery, Silver Crab, etc. also placed the list?
<-- My avatar no longer reads: Everyone Wants to be a Pirate Even Avatarless Forumer

...soli Deo gloria...
[Nov 21, 2008 7:44:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

Re: What do we include under Trophy Sections? Reply to this Post

In my opinion the maneuver trophies should be only shown at the maneuver page. And the cursed isle page should only show the trophies that are cursed isle exclusively.

If we list every single trophy that can be awarded while being on a trip to the cursed isles it gets only big, confusing and without any real information value (what about experience awards, incredible and ultimate trophies .... ?).

I would like to go through some pages (like cursed isle, atlantis) and remove not really specific trophies like the maneuver ones. Or does anybody think this would be a bad idea ?

Edit: looking a bit closer at some pages, I guess I will have to think a bit about the matter. For example I don't feel that the ultimate pirate trophy belongs to the sailing page, but it is at the moment not entirely clear to me where to draw the line.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alfwyn at Nov 21, 2008 8:40:28 AM]
[Nov 21, 2008 8:33:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

I'd certainly be amenable to trimming down those lists. Originally, it made sense to have the maneuver trophies listed under blockades because that was the only way to get maneuvers.

Then came flotillas. And Atlantis. And Cursed Isles.
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Nov 21, 2008 10:44:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

It is Doodle Time again - I have set up a page to record the events and winners but I have forgotten how to get an image tag* set up, and I wanted to double check to be sure I had everything else properly set up and linked as well.

*The one that would put a box up with the image saying that it is a contest entry.

The 2007 page.
The 2008 page.
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 4, 2008 5:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

It is Doodle Time again - I have set up a page to record the events and winners but I have forgotten how to get an image tag* set up, and I wanted to double check to be sure I had everything else properly set up and linked as well.

*The one that would put a box up with the image saying that it is a contest entry.

The 2007 page.
The 2008 page.

{{contestentry|2=[http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=83128 December Daily Doodles 2007]|MessyJessie}}

Change the url to the correct one and then use the person's forum name.

- Guppy
[Dec 4, 2008 7:06:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

{{contestentry|2=[http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=83128 December Daily Doodles 2007]|MessyJessie}}

Change the url to the correct one and then use the person's forum name.

- Guppy
Ah thanks, I looked at that and thought it might work but I wasn't sure if I needed to do anything else.
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 4, 2008 11:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pishposhh

so on my main pirate i do alot of rumble and swords but it never goes up, and always stays at able
but recently i made a 2nd pirate and after my first rumble match, my rank shot up to master

anyone know how i can get higher rankings for rumble and swords for my main pirate?
[Dec 29, 2008 7:38:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

I am wondering if it would be ok if I had a section on my wiki page of all the avatars I've had made for me? If so, what sort of naming method do I use when I upload the avatars? Also, some of them might already be uploaded, how do I go about finding out if they are?
[Jan 19, 2009 1:22:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Aye, that's fine. Have a look at Galene or Tilinka's avatar sections for some examples.

The correct image name is:

Avatar-artistname-recipientname.png

(or whatever the file format is) while the correct image tag is:

{{avatar|artistname|recipientname}}

If any previous avatars of you have been correctly tagged, you'll find them listed under:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Category:Avatar_art&from=piratename

In your case, assumin you're the only pirate named Fizz, that means you'll find them here. =)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at Jan 19, 2009 1:46:17 PM]
[Jan 19, 2009 1:45:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Aye, that's fine. Have a look at Galene or Tilinka's avatar sections for some examples.

The correct image name is:

Avatar-artistname-recipientname.png

(or whatever the file format is) while the correct image tag is:

{{avatar|artistname|recipientname}}

If any previous avatars of you have been correctly tagged, you'll find them listed under:

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Category:Avatar_art&from=piratename

In your case, assumin you're the only pirate named Fizz, that means you'll find them here. =)

I am the only pirate named Fizz :D (other than Opal ocean.. does that matter?) I am more interested in displaying them the way that Tilinka has them. I clicked the link you provided to see which ones have already been uploaded and did find a few already there.. however, I know that Shortyjack displays 3 of them that she has made for me, but they aren't on that link. Does that mean they weren't labeled correctly? and should I reupload them, or somehow use what she already uploaded?
[Jan 19, 2009 2:41:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

First, a correction: The correct filename for avatars is:

Not what I wrote above. In any case, to find all avatars by someone, the URL is

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Category:Avatar_artists&from=accountname

(And speaking of which, the URL above should also be accountname, not piratename - my mistake.) For Shortyjack, it's here.

As for the avatars not showing up under your name, it's all down to how the avatars have been credited in the image tag. So long as the recipientname in the {{avatar}} tag is you, the avatar will show up in the link I posted in my last post. The filename is essentially irrelevant.

For example, this image appears to be of you (since the filename is Fizzhalloween). However, the recipient listed in the {{avatar}} tag is Lauttus. If it is meant to be of you, and not Lauttus, then it's a simple matter of pushing "edit" on the image page and changing the third parameter of the image tag from Lauttus to Fizz. If you do that, it'll show up when you click the link in my previous post. Note that you don't have to change the image tag in order to be able to display the image in an avatar gallery on your page. Simply use the <gallery> tags - have a look at the examples I gave to see how they work.

You can also try doing a search for all images with "Fizz" somewhere in the name. Like so.
[Jan 19, 2009 5:27:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

lauttus is my "old" forum account name. Thanks a bunch for the information! I will check out your links.

edit: So if I made the edit to say Fizz that would be okay.. also, so I need to know the account name of the artist, not their pirate name?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fizz at Jan 19, 2009 6:01:33 PM]
[Jan 19, 2009 5:35:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 440   Pages: 15   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates