• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8716 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
atteSmythe

Play Governor in Your Own Home! Reply to this Post

AKA Governor in a Box!

Unfortunately, I didn't figure out the easy graphics trick to extracting these images until the first two bazaars were placed, so those will remain unavailable unless I can pull a favor or get some dev intervention.

As I complete them, I'll update this post. All files are .png format, unless otherwise noted. It may not display properly in your browser, but it'll be correct in an image editing program.

The Base Toolkit (Buildings Currently Placeable via Create Building)
Map Grid

Utility Buildings
Bank (Left / Right)
Estate Agent (Left / Right)
Fort (Left / Right)
Inn (Left / Right)
Market (Left / Right)

Bazaars
Apothecary Bazaar (Left / Right)
Distillery Bazaar (Left / Right)
Iron Monger Bazaar (Left / Right)
Shipyard Bazaar (Left / Right)
Tailor Bazaar (Left / Right)
Weavery Bazaar (Left / Right)

Shoppes
Apothecary (Left / Right)
Distillery (Left / Right)
Iron Monger (Left / Right)
Shipyard (Left / Right)
Tailor (Left / Right)
Weavery (Left / Right)

Expanded Toolkit (Buildings Implemented, but not placeable via Create Building)

Utility Buildings
Bank, Fine(Left / Right)
Construction Yard (Left / Right)
Estate Agent, Fine (Left / Right)
Inn, Fine (Left / Right)
Market, Fine (Left / Right)
Palace (Left / Right)
Palace, Fine (Left / Right)
Ruins (Left / Right)

Shoppes
Apothecary, Fine (Left / Right)
Distillery, Fine (Left / Right)
Iron Monger, Fine (Left / Right)
Shipyard, Fine (Left / Right)
Tailor, Fine (Left / Right)
Weavery, Fine (Left / Right)

The Complete Toolkit (Buildings Not Yet Implemented)

Shoppes
Consignment (Left / Right)
Furnishing (Left / Right)
Furnishing, Fine (Left / Right)

Housing
Bungalow (Left / Right)
Bungalow, Fine (Left / Right)
House (Left / Right)
House, Fine (Left / Right)
Manor (Left / Right)
Manor, Fine (Left / Right)
Mansion (Left / Right)
Mansion, Fine (Left / Right)
Shack (Left / Right)
Shack, Fine (Left / Right)
----------------------------------------

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Edit 7 times, last edit by atteSmythe at Aug 1, 2004 11:29:45 AM]
[Aug 1, 2004 11:29:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Play Governor in Your Own Home! Reply to this Post

Choosing a Graphics Program
All the instructions below will be for GIMP. GIMP is freeware and multiplatform. It has all the features we need, partial layers, and it's great at handling large files.

Windows users may be tempted to get a free trial of Paintshop Pro and use that. I recommend against it. PSP's support of large files is very bad, and your island map will be large. The admittedly huge Eta map is 7680x5120. In addition, PSP does not support partial layers, which means each time you paste a shop and want it on its own layer to move around, you'll add an enormous amount to your image size.

It should be noted that while I use .jpg files for the examples, due to bandwidth considerations, you'll likely want to work in whatever file format is native to your editing program.

Creating a Map
The first step is by far the most time-consuming. It speeds up as you get used to it, though, so don't despair!

First, you must create a map of your island. There are very few tricks to it. You snap a screenshot, import it into your editor, cut off the user interface, and position it in the right place. You should move your character a little less than half a screen each time, so that there is overlap (and enough overlap to cover your character when you paste, so you don't have little copies of yourself all over your island map).

Test your placement of each new section by hiding and unhiding its layer. If you do this quickly, the image will appear to move, and give you the direction you need to move the segment so that it's pixel-for-pixel perfect. I recommend working on a high zoom so that your editor doesn't have much of the image to swap out and redraw while you play with it.

I also recommend using a program such as The Wonderful Icon to maximize your Puzzle Pirates window. Instructions for using it with Puzzle Pirates can be found here. The bigger the screenshot, the fewer times you have to paste it together. Please note that this is unsupported, and is unstable at times.

Eventually you will have a map of your island, or at least the area that you'd like to prototype. Here's the example we'll be using.

The Grid
Using grid.png, create a fill pattern*. Create a new layer on top of your map. Switch to the new layer and fill it with the grid.

Of course, your grid will not be centered properly on the image. Drag your grid around until the borders it creates between objects and tiles make sense. If there are buildings in your screen, most small shops are 4x5 tiles - if they seem to be taking up more, it's likely that your grid is off. (Hint: You may want to make your canvas bigger before this step, so that when you move the grid and resize the canvas back down, you aren't missing the grid at the edges of your picture.

So long as you are within a couple pixels, you'll be ok for prototyping. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it should be close. You should end up with something like this.

Placing Shops
To place a shop, open the shop's file. Copy it, and paste it as a new layer on the image. Align the blue square with the map grid, so that the corners line up with grid intersections. Let's place a left-facing realtor near the water.

Sometimes you'll want to see how a building looks where the shell of a building or other obstacles are. Rather than do complicated cropping to see precisely how it looks, you can get a rough idea. Add a layer to the bottom of the stack. Fill it white or black. Change the map layer's opacity to 50%, then paste the image of the next shop on top of everything like you did with the Realtor. Let's put a distillery over top of that red house on the left; it should turn out like this

You can, of course, manipulate the image however you like. These are just the fastest, easiest ways I've found of making a map that gives you a good idea of how the island will look.

* In GIMP:
  • ]On your computer, locate the GIMP patterns directory.
    • ]On Linux boxes, it should be in ~/.gimp-2.0/patterns.
    • ]On Windows boxes, it should be in %home%\.gimp-2.0\patterns (%home% is typically your profile folder, the one that contains My Documents. This varies from version to version, so do a search for file "patterns" if you have to, and look for the folder).[/list:u:8db83d727f]
    • ] Open grid.png.
    • ]Save As...
      • ]Change directory to the patterns folder you found
      • ]Save the file as grid.PAT
      • ]Enter a description, when prompted[/list:o:8db83d727f]
      • ]The grid should now be listed as a pattern in the pattern selection dialog. You may have to refresh it to see it.[/list:o:8db83d727f]

[Edit 1 times, last edit by atteSmythe at Aug 1, 2004 11:30:04 AM]
[Aug 1, 2004 11:30:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Schnieder

Oooooooh! Reply to this Post

I just thought up an interesting perl (or whatever) script.

Create a grid over the minimap where each grid is the size of a building instead (the background image would be the minimap snap for an island). Then label each tile with a coordinate on the x and y (two-dimensional array). A person could enter in a list of buildings, directions, and their coordinate tiles. Output would be a background image of the minimap, and then the appropriately placed buildings.

Internally, the script would function with a loop to parse through all the building coordinates. Each building direction would have an associated image file. Either by tables or by css the buildings would be placed over a clean island minimap image.

Even better would be to actually construct the full map and make an image out of it (or png+ini=island map ), and then loading and dynamic changes to those files. But that's for more programmy minds then mine for a real program and not a script.
[Aug 1, 2004 12:01:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

pirate skull + island = governor skull
governor skull + nothing-in-the-box = governor-in-the-box
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 1, 2004 3:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

actually, you'd need to combine the pirate skull with a sudden promotion to get the Governor skull, combine that with a nothing-in-the-box to get a governor-skull-in-a-box, then combine that with an island to get a governor-in-the-box. The tool that the skull requires to do its job is the last combined item.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

shockedfrog wrote: 
actually, you'd need to combine the pirate skull with a sudden promotion to get the Governor skull, combine that with a nothing-in-the-box to get a governor-skull-in-a-box, then combine that with an island to get a governor-in-the-box. The tool that the skull requires to do its job is the last combined item.

Right.

Skull + Declaration of Intent = Governor Skull
Governor Skull + Nothing-in-the-box = Governor Skull-in-the-box
Governor Skull-in-the-box + Island = Guvnah-in-the-box
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Aug 1, 2004 6:08:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
sarahbert

As an alternative to getting screenshots of your entire island yourself, you can check my repository of island images:

http://www.surveypirates.net

Username and password is "ypp" without the quotes. The large images are life size and will work seamlessly with governor-in-a-box.

I take suggestions and requests as well, if there's an island you'd like to see mapped this way.
Melarma
(Midnight)
[Aug 2, 2004 2:13:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

sarahbert wrote: 
As an alternative to getting screenshots of your entire island yourself, you can check my repository of island images:

http://www.surveypirates.net

Username and password is "ypp" without the quotes. The large images are life size and will work seamlessly with governor-in-a-box.

I take suggestions and requests as well, if there's an island you'd like to see mapped this way.

/em drools.

Quite a few of us would love to see Eta, as we're currently planning it out.
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Aug 2, 2004 2:20:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

wnorman wrote: 
/em drools.

Whatchyou talkin' bout, Shark? I posted the big picture on our flag forums. Maybe I should .jpg encode it so it's not so huge...

Melarma: If you would like a full-size version of Eta with which to do your magic, I can get you one. I've been updating it to reflect our current building, though.

atteSmythe,
who'll post screencapping instructions for governors who would like to help in the endeavor, later...

[Aug 2, 2004 2:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

atteSmythe wrote: 
wnorman wrote: 
/em drools.

Whatchyou talkin' bout, Shark? I posted the big picture on our flag forums. Maybe I should .jpg encode it so it's not so huge...

Heh. Errr... oh yeah. :P
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Aug 2, 2004 2:39:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
radicalrage

interesting, ill check it out :D
[Aug 2, 2004 2:46:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Calling Island Governors!

Want to help? You can provide the pieces for the rest of the toolkit faster than I would be able to. I'm specifically looking for IM Bazaars and Distillery Bazaars. I'd also like the Fort, but we'll have to wait for an island for that...

Instructions:
Go to an area where people aren't likely to be walking around. Go to place the building whose image you'd like to capture. Position it so that the whole building is visible and the border is blue. You, trees, building shells, anything in the background can be in the way (except things that change, like chat and people walking past). Snap a screenshot, and paste it to your graphics program. Turn the building so that it's facing the other way, and grab another screenshot. Lastly, grab a 'clean' screenshot of the area with no building being placed.

The final images must be losslessly compressed, so either:
- Save as a .bmp and zip the files up
- Save as a .png

You can either email me the files or PM me a link to them. I'll convert the pieces and add 'em to the toolkit.

Thanks!
Smythe

[Aug 3, 2004 1:55:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Added Shipyards.

[Aug 4, 2004 2:11:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Added Tailors and Weaveries

[Aug 17, 2004 2:27:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Added Apothecaries...

...and it's done!

Governors, I now repeat my plea. Until and unless I'm made the governor of a completely uncolonized island, the following buildings must remain uncaptured:
  • ]Fort
  • ]Distillery Bazaar
  • ]Iron Monger Bazaar
  • ]Market[/list:u:6eacf17924]I can send detailed instructions if you wish to help!

[Aug 18, 2004 12:00:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Dementia

Arr, ye definitely need to keep this up. :) I be plottin'!
- Ajani, Into the Sunset

Ryhison tells you, "i hate u u are a evil little man that tourtures little animals"
[Aug 18, 2004 2:38:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LifeAheadofYou [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Atte- you realise that when we start upgrading some of the shoppes, you'll be able to use the graphics to make the same sort of thing for upgraded shoppes, too?
from Midnight.
[Aug 19, 2004 11:17:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

54x wrote: 
Atte- you realise that when we start upgrading some of the shoppes, you'll be able to use the graphics to make the same sort of thing for upgraded shoppes, too?

Well, not really. This is where a small bit of laziness creeps in. Maybe I'll put up a page describing the 30 seconds that it takes me to extract a model from the placement interface. Extracting it from the world, in-place, has a couple challenges.

First, there can't be anything obstructing it. That's the first challenge.

Secondly, I have to either: Have a screenshot of the area before the building was ever placed -or- Have a screenshot of the same building type on another island that also isn't obstructed.

Even if both of those challenges are met, it may not be possible to put the blue box around it perfectly. I have some ideas on that measure, though.

If I have to cut the images out by hand, the likelihood of it happening in a timely fashion go down significantly. Before we took Eta, I tried to make the toolkit by hand, and it took a long time - you have to find a series of shoppes that have different parts obstructed, and many times a corner or a side of a certain building simply doesn't exist in the game world right now.

That said, as I replied to someone else in a PM, I do have some ideas. I'd love to see the upgraded buildings in the toolkit. Imagine being able to preview and island both as regular and then upgraded - fantastic!

Oh, and thanks to whomever stickied this! I feel all warm inside now. ;)

atteSmythe,
who'll quit his tartin' soon.

[Aug 20, 2004 12:54:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Updated: Added directions for creating a fill pattern in GIMP

[Aug 20, 2004 1:03:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
ridestowe

atte, i think i can help you with this, i've done some work on beta island, planning on when renaissance attempts it. i didnt use the full size map though, i used the smaller sized, where you can see the entire island at once, i felt that worked better and was easier to manage.
Ridestowe Captain, They Might be Pirates | Lord, Tyr's Own
[Aug 22, 2004 11:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

First, there can't be anything obstructing it. That's the first challenge.

Secondly, I have to either: Have a screenshot of the area before the building was ever placed -or- Have a screenshot of the same building type on another island that also isn't obstructed.

Yeah, I realised that. My point was that if you had it on the same, unobscured place, then you could eliminate the background, AND overlay the blue footprint line (by placing the lower part of it first on a seperate layer, then deleting the rest of the reference graphic and merging the two layers) before doing so.
from Midnight.
[Aug 22, 2004 11:46:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Dementia

ridestowe wrote: 
atte, i think i can help you with this, i've done some work on beta island, planning on when renaissance attempts it. i didnt use the full size map though, i used the smaller sized, where you can see the entire island at once, i felt that worked better and was easier to manage.

I did the same thing for Uxmal. I have .gifs of all the shoppes with transparent backgrounds in minimap size, if you'd like those.
- Ajani, Into the Sunset

Ryhison tells you, "i hate u u are a evil little man that tourtures little animals"
[Aug 22, 2004 12:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LifeAheadofYou [Link]  Go to top 
ridestowe

that's be great ajani, can you email them to me at ridestowe@yahoo.com
[Aug 22, 2004 12:52:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Update:

Added all structures that ship with the Puzzle Pirates media bundle.

The toolkit is now split into three sections. In case they aren't clear, they are:
Basic
What you'll actually be able to place with the governor's interface. All basic, implemented buildings.

Expanded
These buildings are all in the game, but you can't place them as a governor. They're all either upgrades of shops or 'automatic' structures (construction yard and ruins come to mind)

Complete
Buildings that aren't yet implemented. These all exist in the ocean somewhere, so they aren't spoilers, but they're simply Not Available to be built.

[Aug 23, 2004 10:19:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
ridestowe

I <3 the haunted manor on turtle =D
[Aug 23, 2004 10:49:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

I've been waiting my whole life for this to come! Now if only I could actually get it! *grumbles about his internet* I'm gonna make foot island! Next we can get "make your own charts" and then we can create our own oceans! Oh what fun what fun!

*cackles madly into the mists*
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 25, 2004 2:08:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dementia

funnybones wrote: 
I've been waiting my whole life for this to come! Now if only I could actually get it! *grumbles about his internet* I'm gonna make foot island! Next we can get "make your own charts" and then we can create our own oceans! Oh what fun what fun!

*cackles madly into the mists*

Already been done!
- Ajani, Into the Sunset

[Aug 25, 2004 6:15:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LifeAheadofYou [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Don't discourage them ;)

I'm still kinda amused about "Shack, fine" :D
from Midnight.
[Aug 25, 2004 7:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

First off, this is an incredible tool atteSmythe. Thank you for doing this.

However, I think I found a mistake in one of the building tiles. The House1L.png is only 4 tiles across by 5 tiles deep. All the other House graphics are 5 x 5. I'm not sure how you extracted the not-yet implemented buildings, but I think you forgot to account for the steps on the hidden side of the building when you added the blue box.
Of course, if you didn't add in the blue box yourself, ignore that last sentence.
Thanks again,
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Aug 30, 2004 1:41:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
54x

There are houses that small. :)
from Midnight.
[Aug 30, 2004 3:53:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates