• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1221 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Donsmythe

Chat substitution variables Reply to this Post

Searching didn't turn this idea up, so hopefully it's a new suggestion....

Now that we can use function keys to send customizable chat messages, it would be nice to be able to have a few substitutions available. The most obvious one would be $island$, which would be replace with the island your pirate is standing on (or, if on a ship, it would give the island the ship is docked at or closest to). Then you could have a hotkey for a message like:

Skellies on $island$

And, for example, if you are standing on Durian, it would automatically become "Skellies on Durian". In the same vein, $scene$ could be handy too, to identify your current location, be it a shop, house, ship, etc.

Another example might be $lasttell$ which could insert the name of the pirate you most recently sent a tell to... "I'm in tells with $lasttell$ at the moment"....

Or $lastshout$ to give the pirate name of the person who most recently shouted something. ("Please shut up, $lastshout$!")

I'm sure other substitutions might make sense; if anyone wants to suggest more, feel free.

It may make sense to even allow substitutions like these to be used in normal chat and not just hot keyed messages.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at May 12, 2008 6:00:29 PM]
[May 11, 2008 11:54:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

Re: Chat substitutions Reply to this Post

Searching didn't turn this idea up, so hopefully it's a new suggestion....

Now that we can use function keys to send customizable chat messages, it would be nice to be able to have a few substitutions available. The most obvious one would be $island$, which would be replace with the island your pirate is standing on (or, if on a ship, it would give the island the ship is docked at or closest to). Then you could have a hotkey for a message like:

Skellies on $island$

And, for example, if you are standing on Durian, it would automatically become "Skellies on Durian". In the same vein, $scene$ could be handy too, to identify your current location, be it a shop, house, ship, etc.

Is it really that tough to type "Skellies on Dirian Durian!" (evidently tougher than I thought! LOL) and the use a CTRL-C and CTRL-V to tell the rest of your crew, flag and hearties? Seems like a waste of time to me.
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders
[Edit 1 times, last edit by tlz_allen at May 12, 2008 9:35:26 AM]
[May 12, 2008 8:09:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Think of the possibilities!

$piratename$ could translate into every player's own name!

$piratename$ tells you, "Ahoy Cire."
You auto-responded "$piratename$ is a tool lololol" to $piratename$.

Cire shouts, "I love $piratename$."
Pirate1 tells you, "awww, thanks!"
Pirate2 tells you, "thanks ye"
Pirate3 tells you, "meet me in the palace's upstairs bedroom"
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 12, 2008 8:52:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Bump.

An excellent idea. Particularly now that we have programmable chat shortcuts.

I heartily endorse this product/service.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Mar 25, 2012 2:38:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates