• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 108
Posts: 108   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23168 times and has 107 replies Next Thread
Pianoman1125

Re: The Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! Reply to this Post

Yes, thanks for that. Just got home from a very long, long day and hadn't had a chance to be online yet. Keep those entries coming mates!

~The Maestro
----------------------------------------
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Aug 25, 2007 8:58:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

And final reminder that all entires must be in by midnight pirate time tonight! At that time I will be choosing the ones eligible for voting and starting the voting section on the talk page. Last chance for this month!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 26, 2007 1:47:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Ok, the time to submit entries for this month is now over. I'll have the nominations and voting form up early tomorrow afternoon so go ahead and read all of the entries we have and get your winners in mind.

Full list of entries can be seen here.

I haven't had a chance to really read all of them yet but it looks like we'll have a good, solid 6 or 7 entries this month to vote on.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 26, 2007 11:17:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

And its voting time to decide the featured article for the month of September. This month, I have chosen 6 quality articles that were submitted to me out of the pool of 24. These 6 display the highest qualities in spelling, grammar, information, linking, and overall direction following and are good, solid summaries of the larger article that they are supposed to represent.

If your article was not chosen this month do not fear or give up! There are some fantastic starting articles that have been submitted to me and I don't want them to go to waste. Over the next month, I will be PM'ing each of you with some suggestions on how to further refine your article or correct some mistakes that are currently keeping you out of the running to participate in the voting process. I hope that you will consider my comments and we might just see your article up for voting next month.

Now, on to the 6 that we will be voting on for this month:

Each one of the 6 above links will lead you to the entries. Even if you don't plan to vote, I highly suggest you read the entries, they're great stuff!

Voting will take place in the following manner:

Each voter will rank the 6 article from 1-6 with 6 being their favorite article and 1 being their least favorite article. Each numeric value on the scale may only be used once. For example:

Sue, Joe, Bobby, Mike, Bill and Ken all entered. A voter would vote like this:

Bill - 6, Joe - 5, Bobby - 4, Ken - 3, Sue - 2, Mike - 1.

With Bill's article being their favorite and Mike's being their least favorite.

Voting will take place on the Featured Article's Talk Page. Simply follow these steps to cast your vote!

• Follow this link: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Template_talk:Featured_article&action=edit&section=1
  • Underneath the most recent vote, put this line exactly as you see it here substituting "favorite article" and such for the user name of the player that wrote that article:
    #Favorite article - 6, Next favorite - 5, (etc...) Least favorite - 1. --~~~~

• For voting purposes, use the user name of the article you are rating to cast in the above line.
  • Then just save the page and your vote is cast. I suggest you preview the edit first just to make sure everything was done right. I'll put up an example vote so you have something to work off of.

Everyone is allowed and encouraged to vote! Tell your hearties, vote for yourself, whatever! The featured article will be seen by everyone who navigates to the YPPedia for the next month so we want it to be good!

Voting will last from now until Midnight pirate time on August 31st. Sometime during September 1st, I will announce the winner and have the new article posted. Can't wait to see which one it is!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pianoman1125 at Aug 27, 2007 9:59:29 PM]
[Aug 27, 2007 8:58:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
kierra214

Given the doubts that were previously expressed about the voting process. Wouldn't it be a good idea to better publicize that the vote is taking place? I was thinking you could add a link (going to the finalist and voting instruction forum post) to the bottom of the current featured article saying something like "Vote Now for the next Featured Article!" or add such a link to the top of the "Some ways you can contribute" section. Another idea (and I'm not sure how feasible this is) would be to get some kind of announcement on the notice board in-game. Currently, the contest itself isn't even on that notice board. Just some ideas to get the word out other than through the contestants themselves.
Magrat
SO of Polish War Fog
Viridian
[Aug 29, 2007 6:27:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Given the doubts that were previously expressed about the voting process. Wouldn't it be a good idea to better publicize that the vote is taking place? I was thinking you could add a link (going to the finalist and voting instruction forum post) to the bottom of the current featured article saying something like "Vote Now for the next Featured Article!" or add such a link to the top of the "Some ways you can contribute" section. Another idea (and I'm not sure how feasible this is) would be to get some kind of announcement on the notice board in-game. Currently, the contest itself isn't even on that notice board. Just some ideas to get the word out other than through the contestants themselves.

Hmmm...actually, I think I like your top idea best. Adding a link to the bottom of the current featured article. And being that I have since been vote a wiki admin *preens and blushes* I can give it a try myself. Let's see how this works.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 29, 2007 11:18:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Link added!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 29, 2007 11:35:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
courtkid1012

>.< I never touched up my article. /e loses again.
Chinchi on all oceans. (Viridian)
Ducha De Oro of Riddle Makers

Inspire others
^Click
[Aug 29, 2007 3:23:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

>.< I never touched up my article. /e loses again.

Heh, you never know. And, there is always next month! ;)

3 more days to vote mates! Voting ends at Midnight pirate time, August 31st.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 29, 2007 6:29:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

And just one more day until the vote is over and we have our brand new featured article for the month! Remember to follow the directions a few posts above to cast your vote for your favorite article!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 30, 2007 7:47:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Just 3 more hours to vote mates! Let your voice be heard!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Aug 31, 2007 8:58:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Congratulations to Magrat and her article on Skellies. Her winning entry can be seen on the YPPedia main page here.

A hearty thanks to everyone that submitted new entries and continue to submit entries for this contest. All the ones that did not win will go back in the pool for their chance to win next month. Slowly, over the course of this month, I may be PM'ing some of the authors of the entries with little hints or suggestions on how to improve their articles if I deem improvement is made before consideration for the contest is warranted.

Once again, congratulations to Magrat. I expect that you will want your prizes and trinket on Viridian as it is your main ocean. If you would like it on a different ocean, just PM me. I'll be looking for you online.

25 days till the next vote! Get those keyboards a crackin'!

~The Maestro[/quote]
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 1, 2007 9:43:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Congratulations Magrat! And good luck to everyone for this coming month.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Sep 4, 2007 6:48:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Bumpies! One week till it's time to chose our articles for the October vote. Be sure to follow the directions in the OP before that to submit your entries!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 18, 2007 8:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

And bump again. Three days left to submit your entries for the October Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! Be sure to write me some good ones for this month!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 22, 2007 10:09:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

2 days and counting!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 23, 2007 11:45:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

The list of proposed featured articles for this contest has gotten rather lengthy, so I've deletion-tagged the ones that have not been updated in more than 30 days and fail to meet the contest guidelines. Please be sure to clean up your articles to adhere to the 200-300 word limit, add links wherever possible, and at the VERY least run a spell check! Thanks, and good luck to everyone this month!
Epimetheus
Retired

[Edit 1 times, last edit by rixation at Sep 24, 2007 7:42:33 AM]
[Sep 24, 2007 7:41:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Thanks for that Epi. Tonight is the last night to submit entries! Tomorrow I will make up the list of qualifying entries and we will begin voting for October's winner of the Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest!

Remember, you can win 10,000 PoE and a wicked cool trinket. Wheee!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 24, 2007 9:04:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

And its voting time to decide the featured article for the month of October. This month, I have chosen 7 quality articles that were submitted to me out of the pool of almost 30! These 7 display the highest qualities in spelling, grammar, information, linking, and overall direction following and are good, solid summaries of the larger article that they are supposed to represent.

If your article was not chosen this month do not fear or give up! There are some fantastic starting articles that have been submitted to me and I don't want them to go to waste. Over the next month, I will be PM'ing each of you with some suggestions on how to further refine your article or correct some mistakes that are currently keeping you out of the running to participate in the voting process. I hope that you will consider my comments and we might just see your article up for voting next month.

Now, on to the 7 that we will be voting on for this month:

Each one of the 7 above links will lead you to the entries. Even if you don't plan to vote, I highly suggest you read the entries, they're great stuff!

Voting will take place in the following manner:

Each voter will rank the 7 article from 1-7 with 7 being their favorite article and 1 being their least favorite article. Each numeric value on the scale may only be used once. For example:

Sue, Joe, Bobby, Mike, Bill, John and Ken all entered. A voter would vote like this:

John - 7, Bill - 6, Joe - 5, Bobby - 4, Ken - 3, Sue - 2, Mike - 1.

With John's article being their favorite and Mike's being their least favorite.

Voting will take place on the Featured Article's Talk Page. Simply follow these steps to cast your vote!

• Follow this link: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Template_talk:Featured_article&action=edit&section=1
  • Underneath the most recent vote, put this line exactly as you see it here substituting "favorite article" and such for the user name of the player that wrote that article:
    #Favorite article - 7, Next favorite - 6, (etc...) Least favorite - 1. --~~~~

• For voting purposes, use the user name of the article you are rating to cast in the above line.
  • Then just save the page and your vote is cast. I suggest you preview the edit first just to make sure everything was done right. I'll put up an example vote so you have something to work off of.

Everyone is allowed and encouraged to vote! Tell your hearties, vote for yourself, whatever! The featured article will be seen by everyone who navigates to the YPPedia for the next month so we want it to be good!

Voting will last from now until Midnight pirate time on September 30th. Sometime during October 1st, I will announce the winner and have the new article posted. Can't wait to see which one it is!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Pianoman1125 at Sep 26, 2007 7:17:26 AM]
[Sep 25, 2007 10:19:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Three more days to vote mates. Remember, voting ends Midnight, pirate time on September 30th so that the article can go up early October 1st.

Make your vote count! Right now, Epi is the only voter and we all know which way his vote went. <<

Vote now! Vote soon! Vote often! (Ignore that last one.)

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 26, 2007 9:33:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

I've voted for the first time this month.

After reading all the entries, I suggest that some of the entries that have been in the competition for months need some extra work to get up to winning standard - better formatting, an interesting image and an entertaining introduction are all ways that many contenders' articles can improve. The current article on Skellies is a good example of all three.

Now I just have to get out of my armchair and try it myself... ;p
Donall of Hunter

[Sep 26, 2007 11:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kierra214

Actreal wrote: 
I suggest that some of the entries that have been in the competition for months need some extra work to get up to winning standard - better formatting, an interesting image and an entertaining introduction are all ways that many contenders' articles can improve. The current article on Skellies is a good example of all three.

Just so you know, we were told that the image is not important and will be added if an article without one wins. So you should be judging on written content alone.
Pianoman wrote: 
While we do use a small picture and caption for the featured article one is not required for your entry to be eligible.

Any articles that win and don't have a pictured I'll just add one in before we post. It is an option and you won't be counted off either for having one or not having one. It'll be the merit of your words that we'll vote on when that time comes.

Magrat
SO of Polish War Fog
Viridian
[Edit 3 times, last edit by kierra214 at Sep 27, 2007 5:25:05 AM]
[Sep 27, 2007 2:58:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
actreal

kierra214 wrote: 
Just so you know, we were told that the image is not important and will be added if an article without one wins. So you should be judging on written content alone.

Oops. I must have missed that when reading the initial post.

Thanks for pointing that out, I will endeavour to judge the articles by writing alone in future.

Having an image there does give a better idea of how the article will look and feel once it is on the main page of the wiki, so I still don't think it is a bad idea.
Donall of Hunter

[Sep 27, 2007 9:01:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Just 2 more days to vote mates! Make your voice heard!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 28, 2007 8:59:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Last day! Just 24 more hours to go till the voting is closed an a winner is announced. Vote NOW!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 29, 2007 11:05:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Only a few more hours to go. I pleased to announce that even already, we've had the most voters yet for any month of this contest. Let's get everyone's voice heard!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Sep 30, 2007 11:52:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Congratulations to Epimetheus and his article on Pets. His winning entry can be seen on the YPPedia main page here.

A hearty thanks to everyone that submitted new entries and continue to submit entries for this contest. All the ones that did not win will go back in the pool for their chance to win next month. Slowly, over the course of this month, I plan to be PM'ing some of the authors of the entries with little hints or suggestions on how to improve their articles if I deem improvement is made before consideration for the contest is warranted.

This month, I've also deleted some of the entry stubs. Anything that had no text, or was barely legible and hadn't been touched in a few months or so was deleted so I could better keep track of the active entries. Entrants, if your stub article was deleted and you had been planning on expanding it please resubmit for next month. I look forward to reading as many entries as I can.

I'd also like to take this time to request from the community some feedback on this contest. How do you think it is running? Do you have any suggestions for me to run it smoother? Would you like to see a different: voting system? nomination process? prizes? focus for the contest? Is the template easy to use to submit entries? Do you feel the winning ones have deserved to win? Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions in this thread. If you have an opinion that you would be wary to post as you feel it might be personally embarrassing to me in an open forum, please feel free to PM it to me as well. I welcome any and all suggestions.

Once again, congratulations to Epimetheus. I expect that you will want your prizes and trinket on Cobalt as it is your main ocean.

26 days till the next vote! Get those keyboards a crackin'!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Oct 1, 2007 7:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Once again, congratulations to Epimetheus. I expect that you will want your prizes and trinket on Cobalt as it is your main ocean.

Eep! I've actually moved to Hunter as my main ocean since the last time I won, but if you already have the prizes prepped on Cobalt it's no problem. :)
Thanks to everyone who voted for me though. I was glad to have contributed again.

I'd also like to take this time to request from the community some feedback on this contest. How do you think it is running? Do you have any suggestions for me to run it smoother? Would you like to see a different: voting system? nomination process? prizes? focus for the contest? Is the template easy to use to submit entries? Do you feel the winning ones have deserved to win?

The good:
- Article template makes the submission process very easy.
- Voting example/template is easy to understand, but still might need changing (see below).
- Entrance requirements are perfect and give a great guide for the size and style of submissions that are needed.
- It's ongoing and not limited to any ocean, so absolutely anyone can enter and win, which is by far the best aspect.

The bad:
- Voting smacks of favoritism (and twice now I've been accused of somehow "cheating" the system this month, even though I don't personally know any of the people voting for me except myself.). Guess there needs to be a rule that if you're nominated, you can't vote. I think many people may look at this as being more of a popularity contest than actually judging the articles that are written, so there needs to be some method to stop that.
- Not enough people are entering or (more importantly) voting. There needs to be a lot more advertising in-game somehow (add it to Events, under Ongoing?). The more people there are that don't know any of the nominees, the more fair it is.
- Prizes might need to be upgraded/changed a bit to draw more entries. Maybe something a bit more related to the article that the person submits? Obviously you can't give a familiar to one winner and tan rags to another, but a pool of prizes with a consistent value would be nice.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Oct 2, 2007 10:12:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kierra214

I'd have to agree that the voting is currently the weakest part of this contest (which otherwise is great). Unfortunately, any form of popular vote is going to have the "popularity contest" problem. So unless Muffynz is willing to get a secret panel of impartial judges to pick the winner (a solution I would be ok with), there may be no way to avoid that. I think the current method of an open ballot is a decent solution.

I have also not really been thrilled with the ranking method of voting. I think it inherently leads to skewed votes, because if you want a certain article to win, you don't want to rank it's closest rival in second even if you think it's the next best article. So the system encourages you to not rank them in the true order of your preference by rewarding those that don't.

I heartily endorse the idea of advertising the contest/voting more. I kind of wish there was a way to get more of the forum community involved (as they are more likely to be aware of and use the wiki anyway), but I haven't been able to come up with a good way to do that. At the absolute least, I would suggest replacing the "Vote Now" link with a "Enter Now" link during the rest of the month (and make it bigger). Another idea would be to see if you can get this thread stickied, since it's an ongoing contest and it has a tendency to fall off the page by the end of the month.
Magrat
SO of Polish War Fog
Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kierra214 at Oct 2, 2007 12:55:32 PM]
[Oct 2, 2007 12:30:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llamaluver

Well, as far as the whole, "popularity contest" goes, how about making entries anonymous? So the voters vote for the best artical, instead of the best friends? =)
Llamagirl on Hunter
Beautiful avatar by Albini!

You told Cronus, "So, what kinda snacks you got?"
Cronus tells you, "Small children"
Cronus tells you, "Sometimes coated in chocolate."
[Oct 3, 2007 1:33:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/no1_llama_luver [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 108   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates