• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 234
Posts: 234   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 30704 times and has 233 replies Next Thread
ramirojr

Re: The Seizure and Trial of Accused Witch: ARTEMIS

Parth, that faulty dictionary of yours left off this definition for pox:

Super-archaic: expression of a hope that others might find good luck; good tidings of great joy; pleasant and attractive freckles promising cuteness for all.
----------------------------------------
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

[May 31, 2004 12:51:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Artemis wrote: 
Ninjaguy posted wrote: 
Obvious forgeries

You were out to get me in the first place, hasn't anyone else noticed this? Maybe Ninjaguy is really the witch we're looking for?

Hey now, we're not playing the "who is a witch game".

/me casts forgetfulness +5 on you all and slowly backs out the door... on his broomstick.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[May 31, 2004 12:56:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

ramirojr wrote: 
Parth, that faulty dictionary of yours left off this definition for pox:

Super-archaic: expression of a hope that others might find good luck; good tidings of great joy; pleasant and attractive freckles promising cuteness for all.

Damn websters.......
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[May 31, 2004 1:40:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

I remember after the turtle blockcade, the Ringers were going on pillaging. As I remember, she said "Less talky, more worky!". It's the witch from the Wizard of Oz who commands all of the flying monkeys who love to chatter! She's a real witch! Only witches will stop chitchat for workers! (And I don't deny that bosses are witches too)
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[May 31, 2004 1:52:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

P.S. stop me from posting at 2AM...

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
[May 31, 2004 1:53:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Also, this should suffice for evidence, if it hasn't already been posted...
[url]http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=8244[url=][/url]

[May 31, 2004 1:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Why bother proving anything? You do realize if we burn the entire lot of the Ringers, we'll get all the witches and warlocks for certain! Granted, we'll also get the good ones. *shrugs* Oh well.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[May 31, 2004 2:12:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

We tried to follow her but she went through a door into another domain. Here is the proof.

Seasnake
Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[May 31, 2004 6:38:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Spansh

Re: I'm so good.

[Removed some monty python quoting due to not reading whole thread before posting]
[May 31, 2004 8:04:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FireMonkey

Artemis wrote: 
Dorel wrote: 
She's able to appear and dissapear on a ship at will!

So is Nemo.

Sian wrote: 
Walking on water = floating. It's a well known fact that witches float! GUILTY!!

1. Witches float
2. I was walking on water.
3. Nemo can walk on water too.

Hmmm, is nemo just trying to cover his tracks. Perhaps the whole bunch of them are in a league together.

As for evidence, this may be an older pic but it shows she isnt new to the whole thing and indeed hangs out with the evilest of all things in midnight...

[May 31, 2004 8:32:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Also, I called out to her by saying "Here witchy witchy witchy." and she came onboard my ship! Why would she of come if she wasn't a witch?
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[May 31, 2004 9:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

If Artmeis were a witch, would she be ordering her scimitars from fine upstanding iron mongers instead of magicking them out of thin air? I think now.

Is not the anagram of Artemis 'A smiter', which clearly implies a fighter-type, and not a magey-type?

Is not the mythological Artemis a huntress, not a mage?

Methinks this witch hunt is turning into a witch hunt.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[May 31, 2004 9:25:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

It has been established that since they burn, witches are made of wood, which floats, as do ducks, hence if Artemis weighs the same as a duck she is a witch.

The tricky part is establishing that Artemis does indeed weigh the same as duck, given that we have only logic at our disposal. Fortunately, this is relatively simple to prove.

Artemis is an anagram of I'm a rest. But what do we know of rests? We know, of course, that a change is as good as a rest.

We also know that the more things change, the more they stay the same. We immediately notice that the same is an anagram of /me hates. Clearly Artemis hates!

This is quite witchy, but not a proof by any means - we are after all attempting to prove that she weighs the same as a duck.

What, then, do we know of hate? Yoda teaches us that hate stems from anger, which in turn stems from fear. At last we have come to the root properties of Artemis - anger and fear! It only remains to compare her weight to that of a duck.

For greater accuracy, we take the average weight of 'a duck', and also its latin name, 'anas'. Taking each letter's numerical position in the alphabet, we find that this gives:
'a duck' + 'anas'/2 = '1+4+21+3+11' + '1+14+1+19'/2 = 75/2 = 37.5

Now compare this with the average of Artemis' root porperties, fear and anger:
'fear' + 'anger'/2 = '6+5+1+18' + '1+14+7+5+18'/2 = 75/2 = 37.5!

Thus Artemis does indeed weigh the same as a duck, and therefore she is a witch. QED.
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[May 31, 2004 10:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
Eustacio

Arr, it be proof ye all be seekin', and it be proof ye'll all get. Fer the proof already sits 'ere on the forums, if ye be seein' with yer eyes properly.

First off, we must establish proof that Artemis lives in the land of Winter Solstice. This is easy enough information to find out, and I have proof of it here:

http://img39.photobucket.com/albums/v119/Eustacio/artemis_info.gif

Now. This took some seeking, but there is an ancient legend, one told by DarkViper, of some magical doings on Winter Sostice. The second post, where it is said that Artemis herself confirmed these magical goings-on (which she never did refute, though she certainly has access to these forums, I might add), can be found below. His is the second post.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=6426

But, so what? Dugong, where this magical wardrobe leads, is nothing special, right? But there is more! Fer you see, the dugong is a classic creature in sea legends, not because of what it is, but what it appears to be. For many a sailor has mistaken the tail of the dugong has often been mistaken for that of the mermaid and, dare I say it, sea witches!

http://home.t-online.de/home/rothauscher/dugong/mermaid_e.htm

But, there's more! An evil plot may well be underway! For you see, the dugong population is not doing so well in many parts of the world. In fact, the website located at http://agrolink.moa.my/moa1/dugongbr.html tells us this quite plainly. To quote the page, "The International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources has classified dugong as a vulnerable species."

Now, what sort of plot could this be? Artemis, the Goddess of the Hunt, with her skills and knowledge of all wild animals and hunting, must be partaking in the capture of the noble dugong in order to swell her ranks of sea witches, all loyal to her! Using the dark magics that were left over from the time before those pirates traveled to Dugong via the wardrobe, she has clearly grown in power.

Now we, the brave pirates of Midnight, must travel to Dugong and either cleanse the Goddess of the Hunt or, if that is not possible, we must burn her, for the good of the ocean and pirates everywhere. If not, we risk the threat of thousands of sea witches plaguing our ships with dark magics. Their power would be great. With that much power, they could conjure up the ancient creatures, such as the gunwhale, and set them against all the ships and, eventually, have them turn their rage upon the islands themselves, until darkness reigns over the ocean, with Artemis ruling with an iron fist.
Dergon
Senior Officer of Knights of the Republic
[May 31, 2004 11:51:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeox

More proof!!
Artemis, from another post, wrote: 
Artemis,
feindishly plotting since 1980

Everyone knows that witches do a lot of feindish plotting
[Jun 1, 2004 12:08:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FalconPain

Varthlokkur wrote: 
Is not the anagram of Artemis 'A smiter'

ruby_spoon wrote: 
Artemis is an anagram of I'm a rest

By that logic, we can prove that Artemis is not a witch. Because you can anagram Artemis into "a mister". This proves that in the best case scenario, Artemis is, in fact, a warlock.

If that logic fails for any reason, I may be forced to ask Artemis for her (his?) weight and compare it with similarly obtained values from the members of my crew.
I knew there was a reason why I own a helmet.
Japin, Duckie officer
Underfoot wrote: 
That's it, Japin. Your pedantic post count is now limited to one per day.

[Jun 1, 2004 1:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Artemis wrote: 
Sian wrote: 
Walking on water = floating. It's a well known fact that witches float! GUILTY!!

1. Witches float
2. I was walking on water.
3. Nemo can walk on water too.

Naively I attempted this. What occurred? I got wet! Fiendish Artemis!

ruby_spoon wrote: 
QED

Airtight. Are you available for testimony?
[Jun 1, 2004 1:13:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruby_spoon

Nemo wrote: 
Ruby_spoon wrote: 
QED

Airtight. Are you available for testimony?

Oh, absolutely.
[size=9]Er, when would that be then? Guess I'd better go work that bit out...
Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
[Jun 1, 2004 1:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
jaymz

A Warning, whenever someone tells you over broadcast not to shoot at Artemis, dont.

You are now in pursuit of 'Broomstick'.
Jaymz issued an order to engage.
Your standing in Navigating went down and is now Renowned in your archipelago.
Jaymz issued an order to turn about.
Your target has escaped.
You are now in pursuit of 'Broomstick'.
Jaymz issued an order to engage.
You intercepted the Broomstick!
Jaymz says, "anyone want guns?"
Msviolaceous says, "we aren't allowed though!"
Msviolaceous says, "but I will :)"
You have ordered Msviolaceous to do some Gunning.
Msviolaceous says, "won't she turn us into a newt?"
Msviolaceous abandoned a duty station.
Jaymz says, "curses dont scare me"
Jaymz says, "hehe"
Ajax tells you, "uh oh... ye fired on Artemis?"
Rubyfire abandoned a duty station.
You told Ajax, "aye, tis my evil streak >:)"
Artemis has come aboard.
Please click on the circle surrounding another pirate to start or join a conversation.
Jaymz says, "I have /plank artemis on my clipboard"
Artemis readies her curse, wondering who will be the victim
Jaymz forced Artemis to walk the plank.
Artemis has left the vessel.
Your money was left aboard the Dangerous Sunfish and will be safely deposited at the next colonized island at which it puts into port.

I was just whisked to WS, when my home island is Spring, and I didn't port at WS all day

This proves a couple of things

1. I should not plank an OM, no matter how funny it may be
2. I should not threaten planking an OM, when they are on board
3. I should take heed of threats, even if I care not for curses
4. Artemis floats. Burn the Witch !

I have to say, this is one of the most enjoyable events I've ever been in, thanks to all involved
[Jun 1, 2004 2:27:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davidsinger

My crew destroyed her in battle and look what we got.

She is obviously a witch because Lime Dye doesn't exist.

She is also a witch because she cursed me crew into many minutes of bickering over who would own the pretty goods that we won.

Also, for bragging rights...

EDIT: if you're wondering, after i planked her, she planked one of my random crew mates.
Ironfisted
Ransack Marauders
Ex-Royal and Present Member of Silver Dawn

[size=9]If you don't live in Ruby, you are worthless.
[Jun 1, 2004 2:31:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Holy crap, Lime Dye! You better keep that safe because a few of us have been looking for that for quite some time...

Oh, and it does and has existed.
[Jun 1, 2004 2:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

ruby_spoon wrote: 

[size=9]Er, when would that be then? Guess I'd better go work that bit out...

Yeah, it might be tough to schedule, seeing as now that you've come forth in public Artemis will be arranging a meeting with you before then.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Jun 1, 2004 2:37:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

davidsinger wrote: 

Also, for bragging rights...

EDIT: if you're wondering, after i planked her, she planked one of my random crew mates.

Thanks again, Mr. Fisted. (It was me that got the plank. And she also planked me from the game, ie, logged me off, for gloating about being on land and being unplankable.)
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Jun 1, 2004 2:43:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

SailinTony wrote: 
Thanks again, Mr. Fisted. (It was me that got the plank. And she also planked me from the game, ie, logged me off, for gloating about being on land and being unplankable.)

Hahahahahah!

atteSmythe,
who likes to see his crewmates suffer...I mean, erm...

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Jun 1, 2004 2:45:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
deathprog23

Well here we go, rushing to the defense of poor Artemis...

Nemo's the witch, as others have mentioned.

Following Rubyspoon's line of reasoning we realise that since Artemis is a Greek goddess, we should use the Greek word for duck, 'papia' instead of 'anas' - invalidating her 'proof'.

Moreover: It turns out that Nemo (being a Latin word) does in fact equal the average of 'duck' and 'anas' (=37.5).

You see, Nemo is 'omen' backwards - a backwards omen sounding rather nefarious to start with, but we quickly realise that an omen is also a sign, with weight 19+9+7+14=49. Of course a backwards sign has weight -49.

I then noticed Nemo's close relation with 'moment' - in fact they obey the simple relation Nemo = moment - mt.
Of course a moment is a moment of time, and we all know 'time equals money'. A straightforward step now is to use the fact that 'money is the root of all evil'. Now evil has weight (5+22+9+12) 48, thus the root of all evil is close to 7 (=sqrt(49))*. NB the close proximity here of Nemo to EVIL...

To recap briefly:

Backwards 'sign' has weight -49.

'Moment - mt' has weight 'time - mt', has weight 'money - mt', which has weight 'the root of all evil - mt' which leaves 7-(13+20) = -26.

We immediately notice that these average to (-49-26)/2 = -37.5, which is the weight of a negative duck!

Shock horror! What abomination can this be? Perhaps a being of negative weight could fly, or float... hmmm. Further damning evidence methinks.

Fortunately this problem is resolvable. Of course, here I have not used the 'root properties' of Nemo, such as Rubyspoon used in assessing Artemis. What I have used are derivatives of 'Nemo'. Now an object is just the integral of it's derivative, so we obtain the integral equation,

Nemo = Integral from 0 to x of '-37.5' = -37.5x.

But where to evaluate the integral? Well considering the space of all possible Nemos, Nemo(x), it appears we inhabit a world where Nemo means 'no one', which one may well find written Nemo(no one). Of course since 'no one' is the negation of one, this is Nemo(-1). And this equals 37.5, which is of course, the weight of afforementioned duck.

QED

/em collapses.

OP

*This relation can be made exact upon dispelling the common misconception that there are not three hells, only one. Thus we ignore the false 'ell's in 'all evil' and obtain weight 49, as desired.
"I wanna be like the ocean, no talkin' an' all action." Jane's Addiction, Ocean Size
[Jun 1, 2004 4:24:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.last.fm/user/deathprog23/ [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

The_Vixen wrote: 
SailinTony wrote: 
I saw her on the Fallen Angelfish. (Screenie later) She is not only a witch, but Satanic.

Couple things: I know this was said in jest but please remember we have some Wiccan mates who play this game. Wicca/Witchcraft is not satanic/satanism. Let's keep religion out of it and keep it in the spirit of fun!

Having said that, witches are inherently good. If they do evil or take their power to a dark place they receive it back times three. I'm sure Artemis knows this...perhaps she is just misguided. I won't say how I know all this. *looks innocent* Must we burn her?

<Sigh>. Please check out that link on page 1 or 2 to 'Why Wiccans Suck'.

It may be that Wiccans believe that whatever you do comes back three fold, and that magic should not be used for personal gain.

But that doesn't mean that Witches believe that.

I don't know the origin of "Witch" or "Warlock". "Wizard" originally meant "Wise one" or "Wise man" (haven't found a definate answer to that ... watch someone post the link right after me).

And, I'm sure people know that just because a document originally written about 2500-3000 years ago, after hundreds of years of verbal repetition carries a prohibition against something translated as "Magic" or "Witchcraft" (depending on who translates, sometimes something even different), that doesn't mean that we have any idea what activities were specifically prohibited.

And then there's the Kaballa, etc.

Bottom line?

For me, at least:
1. Magic is not good nor evil. Magic is a tool. Same as a screw driver, dynamite, or gun.
2. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
3. BURN THE EVIL WITCH ARTEMIS, or
4. Get her to return her Avatar to normal :-).

(Although, if she is burned, doesn't that mean that there will be a need to hire a replacement? Job opportunity?)

LJG.

P.s. Has nobody else noticed "Wicked Witch of the SOUTH "? I think that was Glenda. The witch shown in those screenshots (Was that from the April expansion pack?) was the EAST witch, if I remember correctly. (West witch got crushed by the house, remember?)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 1, 2004 5:51:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

HuskyTed wrote: 

Besides tieing up 200k of our shoppe funds in escrow and backlogging us for hours (which is evil enough in itself) Artemis has stolen my poor heart, I assume by some form of magic.

Alas, until I find a flying monkey, i'll be able to offer no hard evidence.

Llama - Sinking Feelings

That actually supports that she IS NOT a witch.

Consider:
1. She supplied the black cloth herself, just like any decent trader,
2. She had to order the goods, and wait for them to be made,
3. Why are you complaining? She gave you a decent profit. Gads, man, how much do you make on black?
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
[Jun 1, 2004 5:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
...Now, in hidden ink, she modified the last two lines:
. . . Attend to me at the eighth hour past Witching this Day of Tius!
That would be 8 am this Tuesday.

<Sigh>. My goof.

The witching this day of Tues would be midnight at the end of tuesday. 8 hours later would be 8 am Wednesday.

So the massive witch pillage is tomorrow morning, and the stick fight then tomorrow afternoon.

That does match what someone else said, about wood being associated with Wednesday.

LJG.
p.s. Yes, this is my last post on this subject today.
Hypnos wrote: 
[Jun 1, 2004 6:01:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
Speculation

Muahahaha! Fools!
[Jun 1, 2004 6:06:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Speculation?? But.. But... /em goes off to find a flying monkey.

[Jun 1, 2004 6:47:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 234   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates