• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 108
Posts: 108   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 23169 times and has 107 replies Next Thread
Pianoman1125

The Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! Reply to this Post

Have you always wondered where those neat words in the YPPedia come from? Those delectable sentences, those deliciously well phrased paragraphs, those seductively accurate statements of fact? Well they come from pirates just like you and me!

The YPPedia is the Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates wiki, a publicly editable community resource written and maintained by interested volunteers.

Q: Wow Muffynz, sounds like fun! But how do I get involved?
A: Go to school for 6 years, get a Java and C++ programming degree, then come back and see me for your 10 inch editing manual.
Q: Oh…
A: Yeah, I'm just kidding. It's really easy. You don't need a lot of programming knowledge to edit because all the instructions are clearly laid out, there's over 9,000 pages of content on the YPPedia to read about and make better, and best of all we want you to come do it!

A wiki thrives on it's local community designing, writing, and editing pages or else the resource fails and then it is useful to no one.

Q: Cool, so how do I really get involved? I don't want a 6 year degree…
A: Well, you can try this:

The Scoop

Everytime you navigate to the YPPedia, you see a featured article on the main page. The featured article is a short summary of a larger article that the YPPedia is trying to draw attention to. Right now, the featured article is on Brigand Kings and flotillas as those are recent additions. We would like to open up the opportunity to write the featured article summary to everyone in this contest. It won't be hard as the template will all be laid out for you and there will be prizes.

Q: Ooooh, what kind of prizes?
A: That's not your next question, try again.
Q: So where do I begin?
A: Well, I am glad you asked.

The Directions

Step 1:

Step 2:
  • In your browser's navigation bar, replace the word USERNAME with your wiki user name (which is the same as your forum user name). Then replace the word ARTICLE_TITLE with the name of the article you are summarizing and hit Enter.
    (Please note: All underscores and capitals should be retained to ensure proper name filing. Do a search for the article you want to summarize and take note of the capitalization of the title. For example, my featured article on Brigand Kings in the browser line should appear as this after the web address - User:Pianoman1125/featured_article_contest/Brigand_Kings. )

Step 3:
  • You have the path file name for your article started, at the top of the screen hit the edit tab. Then copy and paste the following template into the edit screen:

{{Template:Featured_article_contest_entry
    |user=USER NAME
    |title=ARTICLE TITLE
    |articlebody=SUMMARY BODY
    }}

The places you see in capitals will be where you fill in with your information. Where you see USER NAME please enter the user name you used in the url line above. Under ARTICLE TITLE, enter the title of the article you are summarizing (case sensitive). Then enter the main body where you see SUMMARY BODY. This should be a good, solid summary of the main article we're trying to draw attention to. For example:

{{Template:Featured_article_contest_entry
    |user=Pianoman1125
    |title=Brigand Kings
    |articlebody=The rain in Spain falls mostly from the sky...
    }}

Once you're done completing your article, save the page and you're set. Everything else is done automatically through the template.

Q: Sounds pretty easy, so can I write about anything?
A: Just about, there are a few ground rules though that must be adhered for you article to receive consideration.

The Rules
  • The article shouldn't be about an individual pirate, crew, or flag. Appropriate article topics include but are not limited to puzzles, islands, ships, recently released content, game mechanisms, and other generic types of articles. A good current suggestion would be the Configure voyage article since we recently had releases pertaining to it.
  • The article should be at least 200 words in length and be no more than 300 words.
  • The article must adhere to YPPedia style requirements and have proper spelling, grammar, syntax, and phrasing. In other words, it must be readable. For more information on wiki writing, see the style guide.
  • The featured article is meant to be a portal to not only the article it summarizes, but articles related to the feature. Every possible topic in the article that can be linked, should be. See here for more information on word linking.
  • You may enter and are encouraged to enter as many articles as you would like to write. Writing more articles will not guarantee you a winning spot for a month and likewise writing less will not reduce your chance of winning. All winners will be chosen based on the merits of the article alone.

Q: That's not so hard, how are the winners chosen?
A: As the YPPedia is a community effort, once every month we will draw from the pool of pre-written articles we have had submitted to us and vote for the one we find has the best qualifications to be the featured article. Anyone can and is encouraged to vote. Votes will be held on the talk page.

In other words, this is a constantly running competition with a new winner once a month. What this means for you is even if you don't get chosen the first time, you may the next time. So you have the opportunity to refine your article or write another one on a completely different subject.

Q: Cool, so what do I get if mine gets chosen?
A: The satisfaction of knowing that your words are some of the first things every visitor to the YPPedia will see for the next 2 weeks.
Q: Laaaamme.
A: Alright, so maybe I'll throw some PoE and a medal at you on your primary ocean of play.

Think of this as an opportunity to get your feet wet in wiki editing. It's easy, it's fun, and you might just win a little bit of money for it. Being part of an editing community opens up yet one more aspect of game play to be approached. As new features come out, you might just be the one telling us about it on the wiki and informing players of all the stuff you've found out!

Any questions, feel free to PM Pianoman1125 on the main forums or message Muffynz on the YPPedia.

Have fun and happy wiki-ing!

~The Maestro
----------------------------------------
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jun 15, 2007 11:35:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Re: The Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! Reply to this Post

Well now that this has sat and gelled for a few days and I've had an opportunity to spam as many flags on Midnight and Cobalt as I could register for (you're next green oceans), I'd like to see some entries so we can get a winner for July.

Currently, the wiki staff would like to schedule this event so that voting occurs in the last couple days of a month and the new article is always inserted on day 1. That means that you have 18 days before the new article should go up for July so we'll probably want to start voting in 13 or so.

C'mon, take a chance. It's not like a 200-300 word summary takes a long time to write. Let's see those articles mates!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 17, 2007 10:30:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Wow, we already have three entries for this contest! Click that link to be able to read them. I notice that a few already have a picture included. While we do use a small picture and caption for the featured article one is not required for your entry to be eligible.

Any articles that win and don't have a pictured I'll just add one in before we post. It is an option and you won't be counted off either for having one or not having one. It'll be the merit of your words that we'll vote on when that time comes.

And it will be coming in about 6 days or so so we can have a 5 day voting period for the first month. Want to make sure everything runs smoothly the first time don't ya know.

Any questions, PM me or leave me a YPPedia message. Both those links are in my OP. Can't wait to read your entries!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 19, 2007 8:55:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Feegle

Question that others will benefit from hearing the answer to:

This is an ongoing contest, right? Like the Portrait backgrounds, with one winner a month?
- Feegs

Senior Officer of the Ransack Marauders, Midnight Ocean
Disciple of Artemis
[Jun 20, 2007 11:42:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://feegle.mathninja.com    jeffmahood    FeeglePoet [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

The Maestro wrote: 

In other words, this is a constantly running competition with a new winner once a month. What this means for you is even if you don't get chosen the first time, you may the next time. So you have the opportunity to refine your article or write another one on a completely different subject.

~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains
Future Queen of Riot if things go my way...

Beautiful avatar made by Adida!
[Jun 20, 2007 2:55:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Yeah, what Soulfood said. Basically run exactly like the featured art competition. Once your entry is made, it'll stay in the pool of eligible entries until you either win or choose to withdraw it.

5 entries now, I'm so excited!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 20, 2007 6:43:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Well, we have six great entries so far and I can't wait to see some more! Remember, the voting will start on June 25th and there will be a 5 day vote period so that the new article can be put up on July 1st. Hopefully, this will be the constant cycle so everyone knows when things will happen each month.

5 days of voting then the new article goes up on the 1st day of the month.

The manner of article selection and voting will be announced here sometime tomorrow so we can get ready for July's article.

Please note: As event runner and planner for this contest I reserve the right to alter the rules and manner of voting should I deem it necessary. In other words, if what I do this month works out poorly, we'll try something different next month. Stay tuned to this thread for all details.

Happy writing!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 22, 2007 11:13:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Alrighty, and it's time to vote. This month around we'll have 5 great entries to vote on. (#6 unfortunately can't be used right now because the article they summarized doesn't exist.)

The entrants for July's Wild And Wiki Featured Article Competition are:

Each one of the 5 above links will lead you to the entries. Even if you don't plan to vote, I highly suggest you read the entries, they're great stuff!

Voting will take place in the following manner:

Each voter will rank the 5 article from 1-5 with 5 being their favorite article and 1 being their least favorite article. Each numeric value on the scale may only be used once. For example:

Sue, Joe, Bobby, Mike, and Ken all entered. A voter would vote like this:

Joe - 5, Bobby - 4, Ken - 3, Sue - 2, Mike - 1.

With Joe's article being their favorite and Mike's being their least favorite.

Voting will take place on the Featured Article's Talk Page. Simply follow these steps to cast your vote!

• Follow this link: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/index.php?title=Template_talk:Featured_article&action=edit&section=1
  • Underneath the most recent vote, put this line exactly as you see it here substituting "favorite article" and such for the user name of the player that wrote that article:
    #Favorite article - 5, Next favorite - 4, Next favorite - 3, Next favorite - 2, Least favorite - 1. --~~~~

• For voting purposes, use the user name of the article you are rating to cast in the above line.
  • Then just save the page and your vote is cast. I suggest you preview the edit first just to make sure everything was done right. I'll put up an example vote so you have something to work off of.

Everyone is allowed and encouraged to vote! Tell your hearties, vote for yourself, whatever! The featured article will be seen by everyone who navigates to the YPPedia for the next month so we want it to be good!

Voting will last from now until Midnight pirate time on June 30th. Sometime during July 1st, I will announce the winner and have the new article posted. Can't wait to see which one it is!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 24, 2007 11:26:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

I'm sorry, but I'd feel a bit uncomfortable voting publicly, especially with my signature attached directly to the end. Is there another way we could possibly vote?

Thanks.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 
Listen to Faulkston. [They're] right, you're wrong.

[Jun 24, 2007 12:06:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rbbarker

Uhm, I thought the YPPedia admins would be judging.

Tell your hearties, vote for yourself, whatever!

Sort of turns this into a popularity contest or whoever can drum up the most votes. I was hoping to be judged by the admins on quality and usefulness. I thought there were judges.

I hope this works out:)
Baldo
now retired
[Jun 24, 2007 7:26:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

Uhm, I thought the YPPedia admins would be judging.

Tell your hearties, vote for yourself, whatever!

Sort of turns this into a popularity contest or whoever can drum up the most votes. I was hoping to be judged by the admins on quality and usefulness. I thought there were judges.

I hope this works out:)

And, indeed, that too.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 

[Jun 24, 2007 8:47:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amoyer

Q: That's not so hard, how are the winners chosen?
A: As the YPPedia is a community effort, once every month we will draw from the pool of pre-written articles we have had submitted to us and vote for the one we find has the best qualifications to be the featured article. Anyone can and is encouraged to vote. Votes will be held on the talk page.

This is no different then anything else voted for on the Yppedia. Anyone is allowed to vote.
Cedarwings
Captain of the Crew Schmew of the Flag Schmag
Cobalt Ocean
Oceanus wrote: 
"I hear Atlantis is all fun and giggles"

[Jun 24, 2007 9:27:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amoyer

[quote]I'm sorry, but I'd feel a bit uncomfortable voting publiclyquote]

It's really no different then anything else we vote on in the Yppedia. Think people will be surprised to see you vote for your own? I won't be.
Cedarwings
Captain of the Crew Schmew of the Flag Schmag
Cobalt Ocean
Oceanus wrote: 
"I hear Atlantis is all fun and giggles"

[Jun 24, 2007 9:39:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

Uhhh we're all voting for all of them. But I do indeed plan on ranking my own highest. This is certainly not because it is my own. One of the entries contains factual inaccuracies. Another contains major grammatical errors. All of them, including my own, could have done with some [more] proof-reading. And yes, I suppose this is just like every other vote on the YPPedia. One person starts something off and everyone else follows suit.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 

[Jun 24, 2007 10:36:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rbbarker

BT wrote: 
All of them, including my own, could have done with some [more] proof-reading.

Oh really?!?!?

;)

PS-Major disadvantage for us then, BT and I are crewmates. We share many hearties:(
Baldo
now retired
[Jun 25, 2007 5:37:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Sorry guys, I've been on a short 2 day vacation for my fiancee's birthday so I just got back a few minutes ago.

To address all your concerns:

Everything on the YPPedia is voted for publicly. As this is a YPPedia based event this vote will be no different. Everything from votes on policies and guidelines to votes for admiship are voted on publicly by any member who feels a need to vote and kept indefinitely in archived records.

I apologize if you feel uncomfortable with this voting method. It is different than what most people are used to but it is the method that is used on the wiki.

As I said, this contest is a work in progress. If this becomes a major issue I might refine something different for next month but I really see no reason to. Please go ahead and vote as is and I'll take feedback on suggestions for next month. :)

Thanks!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 26, 2007 9:36:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

A followup before I forget.

Someone mentioned that the articles up for voting were containing a few errors or grammar mistakes or the such. Normally, these articles won't be eligible for voting but because it was the first month and I had such a small pool to draw from I took the 5 good articles that we have and any problems can be ironed out before we post. In the future, my plan is this:

Hopefully, we'll eventually have something like 15-20 submitted articles by next month that I can draw from. I'll take the best 5 (I reserve the right to change this number between now and then) that have accurate grammar, spelling, information, and are well written. Then those 5 will be voted on by the public.

So eventually, we'll get to the situation where all 5 are great articles and could be chosen for the featured article, you just get to decide which one does.

Sound a little better in the long run?

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 26, 2007 10:38:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
thefirstdude

Yeah, sounds much better.
Beartooth

Gothmog wrote: 

[Jun 27, 2007 2:20:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Only two more days mates! We have had 7 people vote but I would love to see more. A reminder that the contestants are allowed to vote as well and are encouraged to do so.

Votes are to go here following my directions in the posts above.

Winner will be announced sometime on July 1st with the article being put up that day as well.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 28, 2007 11:20:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Just one more day to vote folks! The winner will be announced sometime after 12 midnight pirate time tomorrow. Expect the new article to be posted during July 1st and the prizes to be announced and handed out.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 29, 2007 9:06:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Just a few more hours left to vote.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 30, 2007 6:00:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
courtkid1012

ummm.... am I too late to sign up? >.>
Chinchi on all oceans. (Viridian)
Ducha De Oro of Riddle Makers

Inspire others
^Click
[Jun 30, 2007 11:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
courtkid1012

ummm.... am I too late to sign up? >.>

/e blushes

Yea.... I just realized that I found this in the ONGOING events part..... /e apologizes for his stupidity

postcount++ =p
Chinchi on all oceans. (Viridian)
Ducha De Oro of Riddle Makers

Inspire others
^Click
[Jun 30, 2007 11:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

You're silly, can I keep you?

On another note, yes it is ongoing. Be sure to get your entry ready for next month! See the OP for more information.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jun 30, 2007 11:36:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Ok, and a very special congratulations to Feegle! for being the very first ever winner of The Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! Voting was very close mates. Just for reference, the top three entries only spanned a total of 4 points apart!

Feegle's article on the Olympic Champions League can be read here and starting as soon as I can get an admin to upload it to the front page, it can be viewed by anyone navigating to the YPPedia main page for the next month.

Feegle will also be receiving his special commemorative prizes:

This totally awesomely gaudy inscribed lime/violet jeweled rimmed pin on silver base.

And the sum of 10,000 PoE to spend on whatever he would like.

I am also pleased to see that two more new entries have popped in for next month since the last time I checked. Bring them on, we love to have them! You now have 25 days before we start the next voting for August's featured article of the month!

Remember, all the rules and details for submitting entries can be seen here.

If you have any feed back on the way this contest was run this month, I would love to hear it. I always strive to have my events run as smoothly and enjoyably as possible. Please direct your comments to me via forum PM or drop me a line in this thread.

Thanks and happy writing! Congratulations once again Feegle!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jul 1, 2007 12:46:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Sorry for the double post, one thing I forgot.

I won't preclude any previous winner from ever entering again. Which means Feegle is most welcome to submit another article or articles if he would like.

And the entries that weren't chosen can now do a little bit of refining if they'd like in wording, phrasing etc... to get ready for next month's voting.

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jul 1, 2007 12:53:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Feegle

Neat! I go away for vacation and I check in briefly to find out I won a contest. Thanks for the votes, everyone who voted.

Muffynz - I'm off the net until the beginning of August. Hope you can hang onto the prize until then. ;)
- Feegs

Senior Officer of the Ransack Marauders, Midnight Ocean
Disciple of Artemis
[Jul 2, 2007 2:24:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://feegle.mathninja.com    jeffmahood    FeeglePoet [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

No! I'm gonna eat it if you don't pick it up soon! I'm huuunnnnngryyyyy!!!

:p

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jul 2, 2007 2:42:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

The Wild and Wacky Wiki Featured Article Contest! now has a wiki page. (Does that sound as ironic to anyone else as it does to me?) Be sure to check it out. It has a copy of the rules and submitting info and has links to all the current, previous, and winning articles that were submitted.

Remember, you've got till 5 days before the end of the month so start writing your featured article today!

~The Maestro
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
[Jul 4, 2007 11:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Foxychic14

I'm soo going to enter this, but the yppedia has almost everything :P
*surfs the wiki to find something to write on...*
Twiztedrose on All Dub Oceans, but mostly Viridian
[Jul 5, 2007 5:50:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 108   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates