• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7590 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Filthyjake

Are things run? Reply to this Post

I have been logging on trying to play the sub ocean... normaly 30 people or more on, but rarely see a job posting.

Do you just not bother posting them cause the ocean is so small every one just gets a personal invite or do you hire some other way?
----------------------------------------
Filthyjake all oceans (Obsidian Primary)
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
?Retired? On a Break? I found a new love...
Casual player or yet another who moved on.
[Sep 12, 2017 6:33:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Re: Are things run? Reply to this Post

Very few people actually do anything requiring jobbers anymore.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Sep 12, 2017 7:24:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

Well that will grantee the end of the ocean xD.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 12, 2017 7:49:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

That's not true - voyages are still run all the time.

Many are small in nature -- 2-3 hearties going to kraken or sloop pillaging for example. A lot of it is put together via messaging trusted hearties.

And much of it is done by announcing voyages over /global, so make sure you have that turned on.

Certain people and/or crews tend to take out voyages at certain times, so part of it is being online when these happen. Evening in the US is a common time for many of these. If you hang out on the ocean a bit, you'll get a feel for who does what and when. Sometimes people announce plans on the forums so that others can have a heads up and be sure to be around at the right time.

It's also partly a matter of just hanging out and getting to know people so that they remember to include you. They won't ask you if they don't know you, so become known (in a good way). Being skilled or being pleasant to be around (doesn't necessarily have to be both) usually gives you a fast pass onto any voyage.

Most mates on Cerulean are pretty inclusive and won't leave people out on purpose. Of course, if you are quiet and hide in a corner, you might get left out. ("Out of sight, out of mind" and all that.)

I think most of the players that are around a lot are heartied to each other, so try to get hooked in to that network a bit. I suspect that the ocean's "Bacon number" (or "Erd?s number" if you prefer) is 2. That is to say, between any two people on the ocean, there will be no more than two hearty hops to connect them. So, I am positing that if a person isn't directly heartied to me, they are probably heartied to at least one of my hearties and that this statement would hold true for any regular Cerulean player. So plug yourself in.

Stuff does happen daily, though admittedly it might not necessarily happen as often as you'd like or when you'd like. And obviously any activity that requires many people in order to be successful (such as Haunted Seas or Atlantis or a large WB/WF/GF pillage) will be rare.

It's logical to think that those of us that remain do so because we've found ways of keeping ourselves entertained, so something must be happening...
[Sep 12, 2017 11:04:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
Dunsparce1

One of the fastest way to get a voyage going is to ask crew members and hearties, like Donsmythe says. If there's any leftover places on the voyage you might find them on the Notice Board. There's *alot* of Kraken Hunts, but regular pillages aswell, as well as the rare CI. Our crew has been running a weekly War Brig pillage at noon game time every Monday for over 10 years.

Our crew tries to do a variety of voyage types, from pillaging to any SMH, but there's the problem with SMHs like Atlantis and Haunted Seas where you need almost half the ocean's population to do it effectively.
Dunsparce on Emerald
Emiya on Cerulean
[Sep 13, 2017 2:09:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

I guess that was my point, the ocean won't grow with out some effort. Dub prices have annoyed some players self included. That were looking for options to keep playing. TBH I am not a huge fan of sinky pvp's or 100% loot taken either.

I have logged in daily and find a empty board,

I don't know anyone after so after... 15 minutes I end up logging off and dock tarting on more populated oceans. Not sure a new player would wait that long.

I can't SMH as I haven't subscribed so those KH's are off for me...

As far as skills I have them but hey I am a new guy on the ocean and haven't been hired for it... My low stats there don't show elite stats elsewhere again, the ocean won't grow if you can't get in, just as the Dark Seas won't grow if new players can't buy afford Dubs.

There are 2 chances left to grow in my opinion. The Launch of Dark Sea's, and the time it takes Meridian to inflate the prices of dubs to unplayable on Emerald Both of which are in progress.

/e hopes this isn't the end of puzzle pirates I would have 40 hours of free time a week with out any idea what to do....

Personally I think the Subscription game is a way better option for daily players they just don't know it. Its poorly explained in conversation. It took me more then 4 years to realize I could play free there (when I stumbled here ) to try it and see it. As of now I wouldn't subscribe, I have grown weary of logging in and finding absolutely nothing to other then some free labor.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 13, 2017 4:56:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Meh. Im convinced the game will be dead within a year. Ive given up really, theres no way to grow the game anymore in my opinion. Pc games in general seem to be in slight decline and mobile games coming back again.

I have no proof beyond my gaming circle having moved back to mobile or console over pc.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Sep 13, 2017 6:05:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
noworries

I run pillages nearly every day and always post on the notice board. If I'm in a battle the job won't be there. There could be more than one activity that doesn't show because the ship is battling. You should either check the board often or just use auto-apply.
The original Garibaldi on the Midnight Ocean, now on Cerulean.

We can't control the winds, but we can adjust our sails.
[Sep 13, 2017 6:55:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

I've noticed a lot of people announce open jobbing for voyages over global chat, and I've seen people ask on global if there was anything going on to please job them. Just don't take it personally if no one replies - people get wrapped up in what they are doing sometimes.

There are a few regularly scheduled pillages that go on during the week... I think The Blackwolf Marauders (Mommawolf and Piratemagic's crew) do a Monday voyage still? As I recall they usually start while I'm at work so my guess is around 1pm pirate time?

The Cartographer's (Longstride) used to do something on Monday evenings at 5 Pirate (according to their crew statement.) I haven't been on in the evenings much to know if he still does this.

Midnight Serenade has a weekly pillage Monday evenings at 7pm Pirate, and Friday evenings (I think at that same time.) Garibaldi often takes out a sloop during the day time during the week for a few quick battles (anywhere between 9 and noon pirate time.) Gari will take anyone who applies. Lanlaiely openly invites everyone on her kraken runs as well. Gari does not use global chat, but Lan does.

*edit ooooh sniped by Gari--- told you, he's always around!

Hope it helps?
Dexla d'Midnight
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dexla at Sep 13, 2017 7:08:39 AM]
[Sep 13, 2017 7:07:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

Noon game time, every Monday, we run a brig (or bigger!) pillage. Everyone's welcome! We generally have - something - going on every day around noon game time, but some of it will be SMH. Look us up, there's lots of room in the crew, and most of us have a few hearty spaces left if you have a crew you're happy with
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Sep 13, 2017 12:02:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
farmboy236

Yo bruh, I do stuff. Like go Major! (P.S. Job with me if you prefer something other than mediocre Monday activities)
Majorjr on Cerulean
Littlemenjr on Meridian
Major on Emerald

Aristoza greeter chats, "Hello! I'm an Ocean Master, an administrator of this game. Please shut yer trap"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by farmboy236 at Sep 13, 2017 8:06:20 PM]
[Sep 13, 2017 8:05:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

The Cartographers do run the 5 pm game time pillies still every Monday.

The hard part I've found with Cerulean is that either you gotta get lucky as to when people are on, or know when the weekly pillages are running. This thread is starting to get me thinking that someone should write down when all the weekly pillages are though...
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Sep 13, 2017 8:40:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lanlaiely

I run KHs daily. I know you say that you don't have a sub, but if you decide that you want to try this, you'd be welcome to come along.

I have also been running pillages. However, when I run these, I usually do viking runs with these. These do not require a sub to do it. I really don't like the endless/mindless puzzling that comes with pillages. So I try to do something that involves an objective.

To keep things interesting in my crew, when we run our Monday or Friday night pillages, the officers take turns Bnaving and Gunning. That way it's not just an endless night of puzzling. You would also be welcome to join us. Those are Mondays/Fridays at 7PM Pirate time.
Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as important to the child as it is to the caterpillar.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
[Sep 14, 2017 4:12:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zephriel

Ahoy! Nice t' see that some folks are still around. Not sure how many, if any, of me crew are still active. Anyone from La Giustizia Implacabile about?

Here's hopin' that the new push over on Steam will bring a few folks back to the vanilla version.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zephriel at Sep 16, 2017 5:55:09 PM]
[Sep 16, 2017 4:50:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dreadnor

I'm somewhat hoping that new players on "Dark Seas" would also wanna try out the sub ocean and that would create a fresh player base, because requiring dubs for everything sucks in my opinion. That might bring in an increase in the number of jobbers (including meself).

What I'm not so sure of is if those players would want to enter an ocean so settled, not much room to grow, with pirates so ahead in the game.

Would creating a fresh sub ocean work, did devs make any remarks about that?
Honour on Obsidian
[Sep 23, 2017 3:54:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Filthyjake

What I'm not so sure of is if those players would want to enter an ocean so settled, not much room to grow, with pirates so ahead in the game.

Sad but true for me at least. As I shared I log in there are 30 or more on but nothing posted or pops up, because they hire via tells or in crews (from what I understand by above post).

I have really enjoyed the equal footing on Dark Seas, but even there the settled pirates are settled in their friend groups. I bring allot to a crew in my opinion, yet getting a rank is well reserved for friends...

/e accepts he plays a poor social game

I get on to puzzle pirates puzzle not to talk if I want to talk and visit I can go to social media or go visit grandma.
Filthyjake6145 (discord)
[Sep 23, 2017 4:19:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
noworries

As I shared I log in there are 30 or more on but nothing posted or pops up, because they hire via tells or in crews (from what I understand by above post).

All of my pillages are posted until the ship fills and they often fill. Remember that the jobbing notice drops from the board when a ship is in battle. Perhaps I should start announcing pillages in global chat.
The original Garibaldi on the Midnight Ocean, now on Cerulean.

We can't control the winds, but we can adjust our sails.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by noworries at Sep 23, 2017 8:36:44 AM]
[Sep 23, 2017 8:35:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Halfbrain5

Sad but true for me at least. As I shared I log in there are 30 or more on but nothing posted or pops up, because they hire via tells or in crews (from what I understand by above post).

I have really enjoyed the equal footing on Dark Seas, but even there the settled pirates are settled in their friend groups. I bring allot to a crew in my opinion, yet getting a rank is well reserved for friends...

/e accepts he plays a poor social game

I get on to puzzle pirates puzzle not to talk if I want to talk and visit I can go to social media or go visit grandma.

It might feel out of character for you, it does sometimes for me, but there are people who are probably more "social" who invite everyone they meet to be their hearty. I am sure most people accept (I almost always do) and once you are on someone's hearty list you are more likely to meet more people, even if it is "we need 1 more for skellies on XYZ island." And, if you can stand it, turn global chat on when you are looking for something to do.

I am not sure what "room to grow" means but if you mean promotion within a crew, I think anybody just starting could reach the level of FO in a matter of months in the most conservative crews that take the time to get to know people fairly well before taking that step and much sooner in others. As far as island ownership goes, if a flag can beat a strength 2 BK, they have a choice of several outposts that will serve as their "starter island" and give them blockade experience. If your interests are memming, trading, or shop ownership there are people who can help you with tips on those.

In my brief times playing on Obsidian, I met many people who felt that after playing 2-3 weeks they qualified as experts on everything and those people will be disappointed no matter which ocean they play on. Those of us who have played for a number of years know that the majority of newcomers have always lost interest after a month or so but we try to help everyone learn to have as much fun playing as we do.
Doggbreath, Rogues Riding Sell me your ink! any Cerulean island 500/unit

Yer daily horoscope reads: Investing in insane dogs will result in good health

Ohiya says, "By the way how many curly toads does it take to make curly toad slippers
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Halfbrain5 at Sep 23, 2017 10:42:25 AM]
[Sep 23, 2017 10:12:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

/e found crew, and got SO on first week on Ceru.

Look Jake, there are only 30 online at most times. That often means that voyages are small. One or two are out at a time, and there can be a lot of waiting to get on those voyages. We are all a little frustrated by this, but hey. At least we don't have to use greeter as the global chat anymore.

Also, I love my fanchuan, and it only took a single Monday's pilly with the Cartographers to pay for it. Now I can go solo if I have to, and Just leave it up on the NB if I'm willing to socialize. (I will admit that I am one of those bad ones who uses Cerulean to avoid any and all people sometimes.)
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Sep 24, 2017 12:32:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wampuscat21

Well there are some people out there somewhere. My shops are working me to death. Commodities are selling well so there's activity somewhere. Maybe look a little closer. Just saying....... The Original Wampuscat Monarch Blackstar, Captain of Poesidon's Wrath and lover of this game.
[Oct 9, 2017 11:47:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yerep

Cerulean is very active in my opinion! Yes we are a smaller player base but that does not mean we don't have fun! I encourage all players to test out the ocean because you are goong to get addicted to the easy aspect of the ocean.

Come friend me!

Papaloons
Loony
[Oct 16, 2017 4:46:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates