• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3326 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
patgangster

@CrabbyTheKid: Initial thoughts? (featuring various questions) Reply to this Post

Ahoy!

It has now been around a month since our new developer has been hired, and I'm curious on how and what he's been doing so far, and who he is!

Questions I'd particularly like to ask and know the answer to, if possible:
- Could you tell us a bit about yourself?
- How has it been working for Grey Havens so far?
- Before applying, how much experience did you have with Puzzle Pirates?
- Have any changes you made been worked into the game yet?
- Can you 'spoil' us on anything you've been learning about, working on, or planning to work on?
----------------------------------------
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Jan 8, 2021 3:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrabbytheKid
Developer

Re: @CrabbyTheKid: Initial thoughts? (featuring various questions) Reply to this Post

Hey Pat,

There is so much to do as a newly hired developer. It took me almost the entire first month just to get setup with all the tools, permissions and setups. I started looking into a lot of the code but overall I was just learning how everything is setup. This is an old game so there is a lot of code to look into.

I've worked for some major tech companies. Now I'm working remotely for Grey Havens as well as working on some other projects. I was advised to not share too many personal details due to overeager players, so I think I'll leave it at that.

Grey Havens is fun -- it's great working remotely and it's cool to work with people around the world.

I have played YPP through a family friend since the beta. I've played it on and off. I started playing again recently and have been having a lot of fun.

One of the first changes I made was a small bug fix. While I was playing again and had just interviewed with Grey Havens, I found a bug. The spectral sword blocks would flicker and I was pretty sure I knew what the issue was. As soon as I got my hands on the code, the first thing i did was change the spectral sword. Now the blocks count down and don't flicker. Its too bad no one does Graveyards I guess, lol.

There are some new features we are currently testing, but I can't commit to any schedule or roadmaps. One thing I'm personally interested in is updating the forums.

Hope that answers your questions!
-- Crabby
[Edit 2 times, last edit by CrabbytheKid at Feb 24, 2021 7:27:56 AM]
[Feb 24, 2021 7:26:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Re: @CrabbyTheKid: Initial thoughts? (featuring various questions) Reply to this Post

Hey Pat,

There is so much to do as a newly hired developer. It took me almost the entire first month just to get setup with all the tools, permissions and setups. I started looking into a lot of the code but overall I was just learning how everything is setup. This is an old game so there is a lot of code to look into.

I've worked for some major tech companies. Now I'm working remotely for Grey Havens as well as working on some other projects. I was advised to not share too many personal details due to overeager players, so I think I'll leave it at that.

Grey Havens is fun -- it's great working remotely and it's cool to work with people around the world.

I have played YPP through a family friend since the beta. I've played it on and off. I started playing again recently and have been having a lot of fun.

One of the first changes I made was a small bug fix. While I was playing again and had just interviewed with Grey Havens, I found a bug. The spectral sword blocks would flicker and I was pretty sure I knew what the issue was. As soon as I got my hands on the code, the first thing i did was change the spectral sword. Now the blocks count down and don't flicker. Its too bad no one does Graveyards I guess, lol.

There are some new features we are currently testing, but I can't commit to any schedule or roadmaps. One thing I'm personally interested in is updating the forums.

-- Crabby

+1 or Like, or anything that they say these days.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[Feb 24, 2021 9:49:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Very satisfied with that answer! Personal details like the exact companies you worked for and such are smart to leave out and most likely not something relevant to share here. Glad you're having a good time at GH!

Also, @Spectral Sword bug: That's a good fix. I remember quite a few people getting annoyed by it sometimes. (They show up in the regular frays inside the haunted seas too, not just graveyards) (buff/fix graveyards)

Looking forward to the vampires and other updates you're gonna implement!
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Feb 24, 2021 2:14:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Hey Pat,

-- Crabby

@Crabbythekid Nice to hear interaction from you, I back in 2016-17 grinded Graveyards daily and people generally don't do them because the majority value is in chests as Graveyards only drop 4 hauls that only give poe. I think this bug started becoming a thing after meridian died. As we know of Emerald as the only active ocean remaining due to lack of players and then they chose to move to Emerald as I never left my home ocean.

I want to forward some great ideas from players and myself if you have gone past them, these ideas will help benefit all oceans not just Emerald. I will link to all of these which I think are great ideas to help the game.

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2727820#2727820
https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=209390
https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=209397
https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=209503
https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=208304

Let me know your thoughts <3.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at Feb 24, 2021 9:39:47 PM]
[Feb 24, 2021 9:37:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

-- Crabby

Hi Crabby, nice to see you on forums (instead of Shatterstone!)

Also yes the flickering purple blocks. Had to count them in my head, assuming it was just my own client being uncooperative. Thankyou :o
Ryuken on Emerald.
I made a Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.

Offering docktart-citadel front row seats since Aug2020 :D
[Feb 26, 2021 6:51:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrabbytheKid
Developer

What's the issue with the Graveyards? Did they generate chests at some point? I personally find them fun so if there is a bug let me know.

Scottay, I took a look at those. We are aware of some of those already, but in general I'll be trying to stay updated on the big threads in Game Design.
[Mar 2, 2021 9:50:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Graveyards never gave any straight up chests - there's a line in the patch notes in 2014 where they said they increased the amount, but it still feels like there are (almost) none in the treasure haul generated by them

Using atlantis citadels (which are actually popular) as comparison:
- If a citadel is "timed" so that no break happens during the citadel, players' stations are not reset back to zero. On a graveyard, this reset always happens. This both frustrates jobbers a lot and makes it take a bit before the ship can get going again.

- The reward from graveyards is almost exclusively PoE - and it all has to be hauled up. If all of it could be hauled up safely they MIGHT be worth doing for the payout (but people would probably still prefer killing ships and actually getting chests), but generally you'll have angry ghost ships trying to shoot you by turn two. This point is kind of a three-in-one: The reward is worse (poe rather than chests), the reward is not instant (so after the encounter, you have to spend even more time to actually get your reward; if you end up damaged or having to run, the haul will decay and your reward will be even lower), and it's also less safe to do so in general whereas with citadels you can just rush away from danger right after completing them.

Edit since I kinda ignored your question: As far as I'm aware none of the problems graveyards have are actually bugs - the way they're made vs their reward just makes them not worth doing.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by patgangster at Mar 2, 2021 11:55:10 AM]
[Mar 2, 2021 11:51:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

What's the issue with the Graveyards? Did they generate chests at some point? I personally find them fun so if there is a bug let me know.

Pretty much I agree what Pat said. If the Graveyard can have like a bigger raidus/diamater of a Kill Zone after winning the Graveyard would benefit Hauling them and worth doing as you get more hauling time. But yeah the only incentive of doing them is trophies compared to doing 100 citadels and 100 Graveyards, you will profit from citadels x10 because of the chest value. Everytime I've run Graveyard runs on a Sloop/Junk or Brig I have never profited ever. Only 4 people I know of including myself that have ever reached the Golden GY trophy of 500+ wins. Where for Golden Citadel every player pretty much has it or 70-80% of players (feel free to correct me :P).

Scottay, I took a look at those. We are aware of some of those already, but in general I'll be trying to stay updated on the big threads in Game Design.

Thank you for taking the look and happy to hear whats next :)
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Mar 2, 2021 5:04:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

While we're still on the subject of game-breaking bugs, please take a look at this whenever you can

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2727922#2727922

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2722892#2722892

Both threads are regarding the same issue - an update to swabbie count available on the ship leading to bugs with pillage spawns.
[Mar 3, 2021 4:42:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fransil

While we're still on the subject of game-breaking bugs, please take a look at this whenever you can

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2727922#2727922

https://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2722892#2722892

Both threads are regarding the same issue - an update to swabbie count available on the ship leading to bugs with pillage spawns.

Hold up a second there old friend...
You are telling me they scuppered the Obsidian pillaging scene circa mid 2018... And you are still here March 2021... Jesus.
Cruzo of Obsidian
(Dead and gone)
[Mar 31, 2021 4:17:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

HI STAN I REMEMBER YOU
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Apr 3, 2021 2:28:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Tinkylala

HI STAN I REMEMBER YOU

omj, it is Majerstate i will be ur stan
(=
Tinkylala on every ocean!
=)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tinkylala at Apr 10, 2021 10:31:53 AM]
[Apr 10, 2021 10:31:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

HI STAN I REMEMBER YOU

omj, it is Majerstate i will be ur stan
(=

HAHAHAHA HIIIII TINKY I REMEMBER YOU ALSO
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Apr 10, 2021 10:48:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Stan5

HI STAN I REMEMBER YOU

Heyy hope you're doing well. We miss you tons. Still here trying to get this bug fixed so I can conjure up a reason to come back to playing
[Apr 14, 2021 9:40:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

HI STAN I REMEMBER YOU

Heyy hope you're doing well. We miss you tons. Still here trying to get this bug fixed so I can conjure up a reason to come back to playing

Awww, miss y'all too! <3 I ran into Gandalf on Cerulean the other night! He did so much better in our KH run than Antix ever did.

Anyway, hope all is going well on your end also. Please stay safe in these absurd times.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Apr 15, 2021 5:53:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

Its been roughly 6 months now!

What are the current plans for the game from a development standpoint?

Can we see your contributions in game (or were they all behind the scenes)?

What new features were you teasing?

Could you communicate anything with the community? You are supposed to be the chosen one, the saviour of YPP and killer of all bugs. :P
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Jun 3, 2021 4:28:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

Its been roughly 6 months now!

What are the current plans for the game from a development standpoint?

Can we see your contributions in game (or were they all behind the scenes)?

What new features were you teasing?

Could you communicate anything with the community? You are supposed to be the chosen one, the saviour of YPP and killer of all bugs. :P

Minsiem the Mauvelous of Mischief Menagerie, à la Sushicide

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Jun 3, 2021 5:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Jun 4, 2021 8:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Well, I rather enjoyed the vampire frays. It's very nice to have new content after all this time.

Of course, I'm hoping this is leading somewhere more than just the odd fray on the beaches.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jun 5, 2021 9:16:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates