• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4721 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
CrabbytheKid
Developer

Vampire Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

Ahoy!

As you may have seen we now have vampires roaming about on Ice. If you can't find any on your own, you can buy their summoning charms at the palace shoppe. I wanted to open up this thread for feedback/discussion about anything vampire related. I'll also try to keep this thread updated with any vampire news.

Happy (Vampire) Hunting!
-- Crabby
[Feb 23, 2021 2:19:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Re: Vampire Discussion Thread Reply to this Post

Extra point of information for those interested in testing: for testing reasons, the small vampire charm only summons one vampire, so you can do it alone!

Actual feedback (Although they're being updated as I type this so I might have to redo it a bit):
Fought a lot of these 1v1, They're a lot of fun and feel fair for the most part (Though, when they send a big attack, it's quite possible to end up in an unescapable situation as sending a combo to clear the blood blocks that box you in becomes near impossible)

Clearing the blood with combos feels very satisfying, both on your screen as it clears and it seems to do quite a lot of damage)
----------------------------------------
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Feb 23, 2021 2:39:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

I have heard about the vampires, its nice to see an update where you can do them on all oceans as it should be.
I have a few questions regarding the Ice Ocean. This Test Ocean is well over 20 years old by now and I understand you need to subscribe with 10 dollars a month to access Ice like you can with Cerulean. With Cerulean you can at least still log onto the ocean and join things as a Cabin Person. Can we have similar rights to log onto Ice as Cerulean? to make it more accessable so you can have more pirates be able to test these vampires? So then you can get more overall feedback.
When do you plan on releasing Vampires to the main oceans?
What are you next update plans for the game? as I'm very interested to hear the direction of Grey Havens. As oceans other than Emerald really need the support. Thanks.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Feb 23, 2021 3:12:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Non-subscribers are able to log into Ice if they have purchased at least 24 doubloons (with cash, not via the exchange) in the last 30 days. There have been times in the past that access has been opened for all, but there's no indication of that being the case here.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Feb 23, 2021 5:13:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrabbytheKid
Developer

Yeah vampires should be fun for oceans and crews of all sizes!

The Ice ocean doesn't require it's own subscription, but it does require a subscription or doubloons purchase on the account. I'm not sure where the system is configured or when it was setup or why, so I might not be the best person to ask.

We don't currently have a release schedule for the vampires. But we are excited for when we can release them into the wild.

Next updates are still open ended. Not everything will be player facing. However here is the game design forum for any ideas.
[Feb 24, 2021 10:14:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrabbytheKid
Developer

Pat, I think you posted this before I updated the pattern. Should be easier to combo but have more blood to clear with them now.
[Feb 24, 2021 10:16:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Yeah vampires should be fun for oceans and crews of all sizes!

The Ice ocean doesn't require it's own subscription, but it does require a subscription or doubloons purchase on the account. I'm not sure where the system is configured or when it was setup or why, so I might not be the best person to ask.

We don't currently have a release schedule for the vampires. But we are excited for when we can release them into the wild.

Next updates are still open ended. Not everything will be player facing. However here is the game design forum for any ideas.

Thats good to hear and hopefully sometime soon, if there open ended there is plenty of ideas posted from myself and others in the forums to review into.

So this vampire fray idea, was this a player idea? I don't recall any players calling for this idea. Or was this solely Grey havens idea?

(edited twice to move part of my question to another thread)
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Scottays at Feb 24, 2021 9:33:54 PM]
[Feb 24, 2021 8:03:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

First, a friendly reminder to players that you can also buy a subscription with doubloons (42? 48? Something like that). Those like me who are short on cash irl (thanks, grad school) but have poe on a dub ocean can still have access and support the game.

Here are my reactions after maybe 7-8 frays last night. I've slept on it so I might misremember a little.

I like their style! The clothes are a lot more fun than other monsters. And the red tint is a nice touch.

It's fun and challenging and making me use my brain a lot more than I usually do in SF frays. It makes board management a lot more important. I think a downside is that it makes getting knocked out practically an inevitability when your board is mostly full, while in traditional sf, there are a lot of narrow escapes at the last minute. It's still definitely playable and winnable. But it's more challenging than typical frays, and I say that as someone who is typically renowned sf on Emerald and has beaten skellies 1 v 5 twice (out of like a thousand attempts but still lol).

My overall impression is that it's easier to win very quickly and easier to die very quickly compared to standard fights, and it's a little more dependant on luck. Clearing the right combo can quickly end them, but if they sprinkle blood that blocks your big combo, recovery is really an uphill battle. I'm sure trying different styles of sf strategies would help with this, but the learning curve might be tough for some folks.

Maybe a little more variability in the drop pattern would help, because when your board is high it feels like almost all of the sprinkles are blood (even though they're not). But I'm not sure, drop patterns aren't my area of expertise.

It also could have been my imagination, but it seemed like the mandatory wait after you lose was noticeably longer for vamps, compared to zombies or skellies. If that can be easily changed, it would be great if the time could be decreased a little, at least while it's being tested on Ice.

Also, I'm not sure what exactly happened and whether it's vampire related or Ice related, but I encountered a weird glitch immediately afterwards. I still had my Ice client open, but I opened up Emerald and rumbled someone. The right and left buttons had switched, not for gameplay as a whole, just for the puzzle. (I didn't try out other puzzles). I played one pirate 1v1, and one white named pirate 1 v 1, and the issue held. I logged out and didn't try again because I was tired lol. I checked the puzzle control settings and I couldn't notice any changes.
Wayfarer of Mala-idian-erald
[Feb 25, 2021 5:11:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Also, I'm not sure what exactly happened and whether it's vampire related or Ice related, but I encountered a weird glitch immediately afterwards. I still had my Ice client open, but I opened up Emerald and rumbled someone. The right and left buttons had switched, not for gameplay as a whole, just for the puzzle. (I didn't try out other puzzles). I played one pirate 1v1, and one white named pirate 1 v 1, and the issue held. I logged out and didn't try again because I was tired lol. I checked the puzzle control settings and I couldn't notice any changes.

Can you check: Ye > Options > General > "Using left handed mouse" untick that one. It's easy to accidentally tick that while changing client size or something.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
[Feb 25, 2021 5:23:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

New pattern feedback: It's definitely not as strong and horrible to play against as the first, but...

While not always noticable in the 1v1, right now, the vampire sprinkles are hilariously overpowered. 2 (or even 3) vampires teaming on you causes single-horizontal row alternating colors which are insanely difficult to clear, and even a single vampire sending a large sprinkle can cause the same effect.

Suggestion: Less blood in the bottom two rows, split them side-by-side color wise.

(C represents the coffin piece for blood, RYGB are colors). I'd suggest trying something like
RRRYYY 
CRRYYC
Then, by raising the pattern up a little instead of keeping it small, blockiness and comboability can be kept, for a full pattern of something along the lines of

Fear my copy/paste-to-a-grid skills; I put way too much effort into this
This looks and IS a lot less difficult to clear than the current pattern, but it'll make the vampire frays a lot more playable as the current pattern can result into unsurvivable situations very easily.

- Sprinkles are less hellish, still very comboable. Still contain blood at the bottom in the corners, so it will still add up when sprinkled regularly by one or multiple vampires
- Sword strikes still add large amounts of blood (and blood blocks) that can be fit in combos well
- Symmetry feels good
- Strong distribution of every color
- Large amount of options in clearing when it comes to breaking, connecting, or comboing blocks for rewarding clears
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Feb 25, 2021 5:50:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Can you check: Ye > Options > General > "Using left handed mouse" untick that one. It's easy to accidentally tick that while changing client size or something.

that'll do it lol

I think I made this same mistake like... 6 or 7 years ago? And I entirely forgot about it until now haha
Wayfarer of Mala-idian-erald
[Feb 26, 2021 8:31:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

Ahoy Crabbythekid!

I've been playing a ton on the Ice ocean and I've been really enjoying the new content so far.

However, the current pattern of the vampires (even after the adjustment) is still way beyond broken and frustrating to play against. Any strike is a near death experience, the sprinkles cut off the entire board and you can't reliably combo any clear.

Therefore Triplepat and I have come up with a new pattern and we'd love if you could test it. Adjustments could always be made, but we feel like it would be a step in the right direction!

The pattern plays right into the fantasy of what vampire hits should look like. Its both easy to pick up and hard to master.

The Vampire Fangs (Columns 1'2 and 5'6) hurt a lot, but they create free 2x2 gems for you. It is possible to double an entire side of the board or to connect the blood instead if you feel like preparing a massive counterhit.

You just have to defeat the Vampire with its own weapon :P

Also, I personally believe it would be better if you change the current sprinkle piece. This one is a lot clearer, matches the gems and doesn't stress your eyes.

Let us know what you think (warning, massive picture :] )!

Thats the sprinkle piece:

Thanks for the communication! :)

On a different note, are there any plans for new swords? The Katana and Dadao are over 10 years old and the majority of players are only using two swords, the Falchion and Saber.
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Edit 5 times, last edit by pash2101 at Feb 27, 2021 12:58:28 AM]
[Feb 27, 2021 12:48:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

Regarding the playstyle of the vampires:

They always seem to either hit very big or die rather quickly. Is that intended? It doesn't feel like a back and forth (1v1 that is).
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Feb 27, 2021 2:47:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Regarding the playstyle of the vampires:

They always seem to either hit very big or die rather quickly. Is that intended? It doesn't feel like a back and forth (1v1 that is).
Similar experience here as well. Maybe it's more balanced in regular 5v5 frays (and up)? But can't comment on that myself.
Ryuken on Emerald.
I made a Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.

Offering docktart-citadel front row seats since Aug2020 :D
[Feb 27, 2021 3:49:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maitredodo

Quick question to those who have tested the vampires on Ice (sorry if I missed it somewhere):

What does the blood do exactly? From what I've read it seems to be hard to clear, so how do you clear it?
Masterdodo on Opal/Emerald
Atlantis, what else?
[Feb 27, 2021 6:56:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

What does the blood do exactly? From what I've read it seems to be hard to clear, so how do you clear it?

It only clears when a double (or bigger) is made next to it
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by patgangster at Feb 27, 2021 7:23:06 AM]
[Feb 27, 2021 7:22:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

Quick question to those who have tested the vampires on Ice (sorry if I missed it somewhere):

The vampire sends blood pieces whenever it attacks.
There is no blood breaker. Combo'ing (double or higher) anything thats adjacent to the blood pieces will break them.
They don't trigger from falling breakers, and they don't cause other colors to break.
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Feb 27, 2021 7:24:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Pash wrote: 
There is no blood breaker. Combo'ing (double or higher) anything thats adjacent to the blood pieces will break them.
They don't trigger from falling breakers, and they don't cause other colors to break.
Mostly accurate. Falling breakers* don't cause it to break, and combo-ing an adjacent piece will indeed break adjacent chains of blood pieces.

*Just one exception. More of a technicality based on how combo chains are treated I suppose. Don't know how to phrase it, please see corner blood piece:

Not sure if this is intended behaviour, but I'm used to it working this way now.
Ryuken on Emerald.
I made a Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.

Offering docktart-citadel front row seats since Aug2020 :D
[Feb 27, 2021 10:38:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrabbytheKid
Developer

It does seem like they are sending large strikes all at once. I'm not sure if that is a configuration or where it could be, but I'll look into it. It could be less noticeable in non-1v1s. I will also look into the cool-down timing, it should be the same as the other frays/oceans.

I'll update the sword pattern as well. There is a grapple bug that I need to fix so I will be updating ice with that soon anyways.

The rule for the blood blocks is: They don't have breakers. They will break if they are next to a block that gets broken on a double -- but the blocks cannot be the first block in the break (they won't start a break). The extra caveat is so that you don't have breakers next to blood blocks that get triggered anytime you break anything (making the blood block the double).

@Pash We do not have any plans for new swords. If you have a concept / pattern I can put it on a test sword on ice.

@The vampires were an internal idea to help me get used to the code base and to use some assets we already had.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CrabbytheKid at Mar 4, 2021 6:52:45 AM]
[Mar 4, 2021 6:42:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

It does seem like they are sending large strikes all at once. I'm not sure if that is a configuration or where it could be, but I'll look into it.

From my understanding of how the game works, which may be wrong, this is related to their standing - which, as far as I'm aware, is set to a high number for all "monster" type enemies.

SHOULD be less of an issue in non-1v1s when people team properly, but on the main oceans it does still regularly happen when fighting skeletons/zombies/wolfies. Don't think it needs (much?) adjusting.

Also awesome @Pattern update, I'll be checking out Ice watching for the update to see when it drops.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Mar 4, 2021 7:43:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

It does seem like they are sending large strikes all at once. I'm not sure if that is a configuration or where it could be, but I'll look into it. It could be less noticeable in non-1v1s. I will also look into the cool-down timing, it should be the same as the other frays/oceans.

I'll update the sword pattern as well.

Thank you for your response, Crabbythekid!

I finally got to playtest the proposed pattern, and I must say its a step in the right direction. However, it doesn't fit with the massive dry-strike insta heavy playstyle of the vampires. Counterstriking with decent blocks certainly feels rewarding, but its a bit too much of a "do-or-dry die" situation still.And the sideswords are just broken, rip.

The biggest takeaways I got from playing all the vampire pattern iterations:
Strikes -> The majority of vampire pieces should always be connected in some way, even from multiple hits.
Sprinkles -> The vampire sprinkles should be both a strength and weakness. That includes massive sprinkle attacks, and repeated small attacks.
Overall -> Less blood in the pattern. It gets out of hand way too quickly with those massive strikes. I like the simplicity of the blocks in the center, but the edges are too powerful. It needs connected vampire blood sprinkles there, and not as much blood overall.

I'll theorycraft some changes for next weekend, and I hope others do as well! :)

@Pash We do not have any plans for new swords. If you have a concept / pattern I can put it on a test sword on ice.

That sounds absolutely exciting!

I think we should all focus on the vampire sword though by giving feedback and suggestions here :P. This is the vampire thread after all!

Would it be possible to have 3 "different" 1v1 vampire frays with 3 different patterns? That would make testing a lot easier and faster.
(Maybe change the skeleton patterns to a temporary vampire blade)

Regarding new swords:
Having new swords for the live ocean would be incredible. Thats what every swordfighter dreams about!
Would it be somehow possible to turn it into an event? Im sure there will be a lot of good ideas from passionate players, especially after 10 years. I would love to see a dedicated thread for it.

1) Players could submit patterns and vote for their favourites.
2) The top 8 gets implemented on Ice ocean ("foil test swords"). Ice Ocean should also feature Scimitars, Sabers, Falchions and Skull Daggers to see how the swords do against the current top swords.
3) Playtesting and voting until 1-3 swords make it in the game?

That would be so exciting!

Thanks for the communication and the work you've done so far !! :)
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Mar 6, 2021 6:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

@The vampires were an internal idea to help me get used to the code base and to use some assets we already had.

I am about to go purchase some dubs to access Ice and help Grey Gardens pay you because you are a blessing to this community.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 8, 2021 9:59:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I am enjoying how hard these vampires are - this one beat me 8 times before I could beat them.

Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Mar 8, 2021 9:36:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

Hey again, Crabbythekid!

Would it be possible if you could try a less blocky and fray-friendly pattern like this?

You can make big clears if the vampires sprinkle you a lot (clearing an entire side). The 2 main colors should make it easily manageable on the outside/middle or when multiple vampires attack you.
The blood pieces at the top only apply to massive hits:
4 height = no blood
8 height = 1 blood layer
9+ height = 2 blood layers

It should play roughly like a mix between Scimitar and Skull Dagger.

That'll be my last suggestion for quite a bit. Looking forward to any changes (including new swords for PvP!) :)
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pash2101 at Mar 13, 2021 4:56:56 PM]
[Mar 12, 2021 6:52:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MaxPain

Hello,

I tried to catch some vampire ships after seeing the latest update. Had two outings, one yesterday, one today.

First outing: Diablo-Winking Wall
Vampire ship after first battle. They were somewhat aggressive, got a max-3. The fray was incredibly easy (please note that I am an average swordfighter at best), I think I only lost one of my bots, vampires never attacked me. No vampires afterwards, only Admiral Finius which I skipped.

Second outing: Fort Royal-Maelstrom
Vampire ship as a last battle. Admiral Finius expeditions until then which I skipped. The battle with the vampires was glitched, did not have a grapple button. They evaded me as much as possible and did not shoot a single shot. They were set on disengaging from the first turn. Bug report sent.

From the first good battle I had with the vampires, I can say I like how they behaved. In my opinion they should be unlike regular spawns (if possible). Maybe if they had the mind of merchants or monkeys. The fray again seemed odd, and very easy, I do not have enough experience to determine what could be the cause.
Icce on Sage
[Mar 14, 2021 4:28:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NicolePons

In the early hours of the 15th of march a few of us logged into ice to test the new vampire frays
I would like to thank the following people for attending my vampire ?mass test?
Rheas
Roselady
Onopoob
Maidenfair

And everyone else who tried to log in but could not due to the ice client, was lots of fun playing with everyone.

Onopoob tested a beard glitch which he knew from the Emerald ocean in which if players with a beard became vampires your skin would change but not your eyes or mouth.
The beard is the braided beard and the bug is still in existence.
To recreate, make a pirate with the braided beard and turn it into a vampire and you will see what we mean, it's a visual glitch.

The difficulty 1v1 is fair, and I'd say well balanced in its current state.

We won 2 3v5s out of about 10-15, one of which i recorded. You can also find an instance of the beard bug previously discussed
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqlNescriV0&)

It was noted several times that the fight was heavily reliant on breaker luck but that seemed to be only a few games.

The strikes are unforgiving but if you manage to break them there is a lot of fun to be had seeing things break you dont expect.

One thing I noticed in group fights were that strikes would often hit exactly on the spot of a last strike, this led to multiple strikes in a row being ineffectual if they were side strikes and less painful if they were top down strikes.

The sprinkle pattern seems a bit lacklustre either you die or you get the breaker in 2 turns.

One note I have is that the vampire coffin can be hard to see as it matches the background fairly closely. We also think the tone of the red on the island to show that vampires are present is quite aggressive and could be toned down a bit.

The artwork otherwise looks incredible, and we all enjoyed that you get turned into a vampire if you lose.

Next sunday, the 21st I will be trying to run a pillage in an attempt to get a few new expos to test thouse out, and I will invite all of you icers to join me then.
That will be 21st march roughly 20:00 gmt but i?ll announce it in the global on emerald before.

If Krabby has anything he wants us to test please let us know before then

edit
towards the end of our testing when you get to the top of the board (top 3-4 rows) you can not move side, you can only turn it. This happened to two players.

Also any strikes sent before the first 30 seconds seem to have no effect no matter there size

one more funny bug from the evening

[Edit 4 times, last edit by NicolePons at Mar 15, 2021 4:09:31 AM]
[Mar 15, 2021 3:56:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

NicolePons wrote: 
Onopoob tested a beard glitch which he knew from the Emerald ocean in which if players with a beard became vampires your skin would change but not your eyes or mouth.

There's another facial hair bug where pirates who are both a vampire and have the normal moustache (not dastardly) get a bright pink face.

NicolePons wrote: 
Also any strikes sent before the first 30 seconds seem to have no effect no matter there size

This is not vampire specific and I believe also related to the number of blocks already on the AI's screen.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
[Mar 15, 2021 7:52:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cronus
OceanMaster

Demontoad wrote: 

Would it be possible if you could try a less blocky and fray-friendly pattern like this?

Do you think the suggested pattern here hinder the thematic nature of the blood? I'm mostly wondering about the upper parts from a bigger hit. In the current pattern the two vertical bits are reminiscent of blood coming off of fangs.

Note: I'm not trying to make any official comment regarding this pattern. I have not tried this pattern nor am I the best person to be testing patterns. I'm mainly asking from a thematic perspective.
Current avatar by Podgekins
Tinfoil, popsicle sticks, and paste make for a nice shiny new hat!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cronus at Mar 25, 2021 10:21:57 AM]
[Mar 25, 2021 10:20:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pash2101

Demontoad wrote: 

Do you think the suggested pattern here hinder the thematic nature of the blood? I'm mostly wondering about the upper parts from a bigger hit. In the current pattern the two vertical bits are reminiscent of blood coming off of fangs.

Note: I'm not trying to make any official comment regarding this pattern. I have not tried this pattern nor am I the best person to be testing patterns. I'm mainly asking from a thematic perspective.

Hey!

These are by no means suggestions in their final form, these are just meant to see what patterns and playstyle work best with the blood mechanic, especially keeping both solo and multiplayer frays in mind. Its better to test too much than too little :)

The current pattern (Triplepat & Pash) looks very nice and approachable, but big strikes are a bit too hard to clear (vampires hit massively and completely brick boards).
The sprinkles are too strong on the outside, they completely immobilize the corners if sent as part of a massive strike.
The strikes hurt too much as the blocks float in the air and are inaccessible and "non-comboable" most of the time.

This is a small iteration that adds more damage to the vampire fangs.

Multiple sprinkles add layers that can be comboed, but they also narrow down the board (just like Crabby's own patterns).
The big strikes still have a lot of "oomphf" to them, but a creative double gets rid of a good chunk of blood (~50%) and pairs up nicely & rewarding. Its also possible for the strikes to fall down in 1'6 to create 2x2 blocks.

Blood blocks would no longer be part of strikes as the blocks itself are inherently broken (they severely paralyze boards).
With the proposed patterns its still possible for blood blocks to occur naturally in every column though :)

That being said, I still think the thematic is still very much kept. The sprinkles feel like bleeding (especially from multiple vampires), and the bigger strikes hurt a lot on the outside. The entire playstyle still revolves around creative management of those columns :)
--------------
Demontoad,
formerly Pash
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pash2101 at Mar 25, 2021 3:18:59 PM]
[Mar 25, 2021 3:17:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Ello! I'm late to the party, it appears. I had given up on ever seeing anything new in the game, and stopped reading the forums. So it's very nice to see this going on.

Along those lines: something I've felt for a long time is that, before the game gets any new big projects, that most of the existing things we have could use some tweaking. They don't necessarily need to be huge tweaks, but something to give me a reason to go back to something that I mastered a decade or more ago—

-------------
OK, I made a nice long list of ideas, then realized that they would be better off in game design than here, so I deleted them. The principle behind them all, though, still is important. Greedy brigands definitely brought new life to pillaging when it came out. And while I know that Greedies weren't a "small tweak", I would still like to see that new life brought to other portions of the game. Even small things like new furniture or trinkets would be good after such a long time without any new stuff outside of the color-of-the-month boxes. You could possibly even get some of this done by the players, if you ran another design contest.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Mar 31, 2021 1:09:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates