• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5063 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
reeses584

Ability to make a factionless crew Reply to this Post

Hiya!

The more I play Obsidian, the more I am dissatisfied with the factions. My interests lie in SMHes/pillages, and not necessarily blockading. I know there are several out there who are the same. We are playing on Obsidian because everyone is now here and not on the other oceans. I would propose that a crew have the ability to join a navy faction, which would be neutral and therefore unable to blockade. PVPs against them would not sink, nor carry the heavy penalties. Just a thought, to be more friendly to everyone's interests.
----------------------------------------
Gwen

SomeGreenie tells ye, "realy why do teenagers afraid of saing from where they are and there age"
Ye told SomeGreenie, "They're afraid of online predators"
SomeGreenie tells ye, "are u one of them"
[Aug 1, 2017 3:44:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Re: Ability to make a factionless crew Reply to this Post

There would have to be more additional penalties for being in a crew like that. Part of what makes Obsidian the ocean it is is that everything you do (outside of greywaters baby zone pillages) is potentionally sinky. If you allow people to just make a crew like that, there's nothing stopping players from running their SMHs and wild seas pillages from a navy crew, avoiding all the risk for the same reward.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Aug 1, 2017 4:07:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tradee6

Could always disable SMH and other highly profitable excursions. I would join a Navy crew in a heartbeat. Even if I couldn't run the SMH myself I could always job. But being in a position where you are forced to be neutral sounds nice to me.
Return

Avatar by the one and only Yohococo <3 Come out of retirement soon!
[Aug 1, 2017 4:36:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

It sounds like you want to head back to the production oceans. I never left, because I wasn't into PvP.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 1, 2017 5:08:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
reeses584

It sounds like you want to head back to the production oceans. I never left, because I wasn't into PvP.

The problem with the production oceans is that the player base has decreased significantly with Obsidian. This is mainly why I would like an option to be factionless. If the player base stayed the same, I wouldn't have left Emerald either.
Gwen

SomeGreenie tells ye, "realy why do teenagers afraid of saing from where they are and there age"
Ye told SomeGreenie, "They're afraid of online predators"
SomeGreenie tells ye, "are u one of them"
[Aug 1, 2017 5:14:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

IMO, the faction thing is stupid.

Instead of factions, they should have just made it so that every flag is automatically in a state of war with every other flag unless an alliance is formed.

Arbitrary unbreakable alliances/sides hurts politics, which has generally been a big part of the blockade scene.
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Strider399 at Aug 1, 2017 10:31:45 PM]
[Aug 1, 2017 10:31:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shademan987

The problem with the production oceans is that the player base has decreased significantly with Obsidian. This is mainly why I would like an option to be factionless. If the player base stayed the same, I wouldn't have left Emerald either.

It's a Catch 22 sadly, but trying to please everyone will end up pleasing no one. A lot of people wouldn't have come to Obsidian if it had the same rules as Emerald. They'd be wise to keep things as they are in my opinion. Besides, the current impact of PvP and factions is really too small to justify such a major change to the ocean's thematics. I feel like you probably hate the idea of these things more than anything, but find a crew with similar values and I think you'll find Obsidian to feel just as much like home as Emerald. If everyone is migrating, find the other migrants and stick to the activities you enjoy. My crew is from Emerald and they're awesome, so it's all about who you choose to play with.

Instead of factions, they should have just made it so that every flag is automatically in a state of war with every other flag unless an alliance is formed.

Arbitrary unbreakable alliances/sides hurts politics, which has generally been a big part of the blockade scene.

This is interesting though. I think that idea is worth exploring further. But the one good thing about factions, maybe, is they always guarantee competition. There will always be a large group of pirates going against you at any given time. That's a good thing in some ways, right? I'd think it would help prevent robber barons from controlling all the islands and killing the ocean from a lack of competition. I like your idea, but that would be my one concern with throwing out factions.
You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.
-- William Faulkner

Dashy | Suspicious Activity | Obsidian Ocean
[Edit 3 times, last edit by shademan987 at Aug 1, 2017 11:35:10 PM]
[Aug 1, 2017 10:49:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Just noting: There are no unbreakable alliances; you can war/whatever just fine within your faction.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Aug 2, 2017 4:48:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

If anything, i'd like a factionless crew to be allowed, but to be at war with both sides as well as other factionless crews. (maybe with the exception of their own flag). For the people who just want to sink everyone.
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Aug 2, 2017 5:11:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

I like the idea of a greenie-friendly navy faction. Less risk, less reward. Maybe being in the navy faction gets you extra bots on ships, but those bots have to be paid.

I think perhaps the biggest weakness of the ocean right now is how unwelcoming it is to lower-skilled, less-competitive, and newer players. A 3rd faction could help sort out all of this.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Aug 2, 2017 7:28:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

If anything, i'd like a factionless crew to be allowed, but to be at war with both sides as well as other factionless crews. (maybe with the exception of their own flag). For the people who just want to sink everyone.

Yup, that's the only way a factionless crew can work. Otherwise obsidian will become the same as the other Doubloon oceans.

Maybe even allow alliances between factionless crews.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Altich at Aug 2, 2017 12:43:36 PM]
[Aug 2, 2017 12:42:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

If someone has a crew but has no interest in helping their faction do anything, then it shouldn't matter what faction they are in. Heck you can be in a flag that is heavily into progressing their faction but still not assist in those efforts.

If anything, i'd like a factionless crew to be allowed, but to be at war with both sides as well as other factionless crews. (maybe with the exception of their own flag).

I don't think factionless crews should exist, there's no need for them. But if they do become a thing, then I agree that every PvP engagement is automatically sinking for them. I agree with OP, that factionless flags should not be able to blockade. They shouldn't even be able to enter a blockade on their own ship.

For the people who just want to sink everyone.

Maybe the answer to this is that if one flag declares war on another, then the two are immediately at war, but it takes both flags to declare a truce?

That should negate the need for factionless crews, if the desire is to be able to have sinking engagements with everyone.

Maybe even allow alliances between factionless crews.

No.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Aug 3, 2017 9:18:09 AM]
[Aug 3, 2017 9:16:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

N-no?
[Aug 3, 2017 2:16:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

The factions and the always-on threat of sinking PVP is the entire point of Obsidian. This is a bad idea. If you want no PVP threat while you PVE, stay on the other oceans; that's why the plan is to keep them open.

If you want to stay out of the factions then maybe it should be possible to be factionless, but then you should be a valid target for both factions, not neither.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Aug 3, 2017 4:57:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

The factions and the always-on threat of sinking PVP is the entire point of Obsidian. This is a bad idea. If you want no PVP threat while you PVE, stay on the other oceans; that's why the plan is to keep them open.

If you want to stay out of the factions then maybe it should be possible to be factionless, but then you should be a valid target for both factions, not neither.

And a target for other non-factions
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Aug 4, 2017 12:57:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

And a target for other non-factions

This train of thought has nothing to do with OP's concerns. Also I don't see the benefit of it. You get a little more sinking pvp I guess. But there's plenty of that to go around already.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Aug 4, 2017 1:17:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

OPs concerns are addressed by playing on other oceans. The population of Emerald will re-balance once Obsidian is no longer new.

OP wants to be able to sail a ship without risk of sinking PvP. I don't agree with that view and my posts reflect that.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Aug 5, 2017 10:03:13 AM]
[Aug 5, 2017 10:02:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Start all new players in a crew, which is factionless and has greeters. This puts questions in a public place, allowing for players to have answers to questions they don't know where to ask or didn't even know they had.

In addition, give each new player an untradeable ship that can only engage bots and must stay in Greywaters. The hold should also be restricted to pillaging supplies and/or only allowed to port at PV. Ideally this ship would be a modified version of a sloop, allowing for extra bots and staying afloat and receiving moves even if it has no working jobbers.

Player-created factionless crews have no place currently. Once the ocean is more established and factions have their own territory, players being able to brand themselves as "Renegades" and enemies of all could fit, but other changes would definitely be required. If player numbers pick up and development continues, seeing this implemented along with crew strongholds on uninhabited islands would really flesh out the Wild Seas areas.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Aug 5, 2017 10:53:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scarpath

It would be interesting to be able to 'join' the PV navy. You could have ranks depending on your navy ranking. You'd be pirate until you had either completed a certain few quests, or reached a certain rank, and the same for officer. I'm pretty sure you get all the important permissions (Moving charts and somesuch) at FO, so there would be no need use the Senior rank.

If you try to chart a ship as a navy member, it has to be in the Greywaters or on swabbie transport. If you try to chart it any other way it'll give a message saying something along the lines of "Arrr, this ship be of the Navy, and must stay in Navy waters."

You can not PvP as a Navy vessel, so as to keep with the navy theme. (There are no PvP missions aboard a Navy ship.) There would also be no entering of SMHs or blockades.

This could actually be a great way to help greenies learn to officer. Obsidian will be a much harsher ocean if PvP takes hold, so greenies would likely need a save place to learn how to run a ship without fear of experienced players PvPing them.

There could also be a slight bonus to greeters who run pillages in the Navy, to encourage them to help out new players. I'm not sure how that might work though, so that one is a shot in the dark.
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Aug 7, 2017 12:17:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates