• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4470 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
wrs1864b

list of Islands owned by flags with little fame Reply to this Post

Last week, I decided to dig into the health of the cerulean ocean and wrote a program that figured out which islands were owned by flags that had very little fame. The results seemed to interest people, so here is this weeks list.
Aspiring      Fearless Tigers      Orca Island          out
Obscure Super Awesomeness Ansel Island out
Obscure Super Awesomeness Carmine Island med
Obscure Super Awesomeness Cormorant Island med
Obscure The Insane Asylum Corona Reef out
Obscure The Insane Asylum Tigerleaf Mountain lg
Rumored Dies Irae Jorvik Island lg
Rumored Dragon's Quest Byrne Island lg
Rumored Public Enemies Eta Island lg
Rumored Raising Hull Cranberry Island lg

Notes:

* From first hand experience, I have found that a single active player can easily generate more fame for a flag than this. So, the fame levels can easily be pushed up, if the flag wants to.

* Even if a flag's fame is low, that doesn't mean they are easy targets for point sits. Again, from first hand experience, flags can come back to life quickly and are much stronger than their fame suggests.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Jan 9, 2017 10:37:22 AM]
[Jan 9, 2017 10:03:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightmaree

Re: list of Islands owned by flags with little fame Reply to this Post

wooottt
Knightmaree, Cobalt
Some dude Formally At Universe A
[Jan 9, 2017 10:36:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Can you make this list to include all islands? not just those with little fame? I don't mean for you to add to the program, I just didn't know if what you created was already able to list more than just those with low fame.

Thanks!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jan 9, 2017 11:13:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Can you make this list to include all islands?

Yeah, that is trivial to do, see cerulean_flag_fame_2017-01-09.txt. This list includes all islands, including ringer owned islands, and the flag/island names aren't truncated.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jan 9, 2017 11:36:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gunnerfreak

Yeah, that is trivial to do, see cerulean_flag_fame_2017-01-09.txt. This list includes all islands, including ringer owned islands, and the flag/island names aren't truncated.

Uhhhh, BKs aren't players. Lol
Gunnerfreak on Cerulean <- Home ocean.
AKA Gunnerfreak on Obsidian (new ocean!), Ice, Emerald, Opal, and Jade,
Gunnerfreak-East on Emerald,
Gunnerfreak-West on Cerulean, and
Gunnergunner on Meridian.
Also a Respe-ranked YPPedia-wiki freak.
[Jan 9, 2017 12:40:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

True, but players can drop on their islands, while they can't on uncolonized islands and ringer islands. That is the distinction I made when I developed my database of islands, back in 2013.

BTW, I never found a clear definition of "uncolonized". Islands like Charcoal and waterberry have markets and you can take ferries to them, but they don't show up in yoweb and aren't "owned" by any flag, so I call them "uncolonized".
[Jan 9, 2017 1:44:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aligate

Just as Algol said, fame doesn't necessarily represent a flag's level of activity.
I know many flags that are active and have enough resources to attack an island.

I'll just list some of the most common reasons why flags don't want to blockade and my thoughts.

"We already own an island" - Owning an island is similar to running a shop which can be fun for some people.
However, I don't think the main objective of a blockade should be winning the island.
Winning a blockade is one of the greatest achievements in the game. Get your flag members involved. Make it a fun experience for everyone involved.

"We have no experience in blockading" - It's easier than you think. Many of the guides on YPPedia are outdated but
if you need any advice then just ask me, Majorjr or Fourteen.

"It costs too much" - Talk to the flag you want to play against. Agree on a pay cap or even which ship types you want to use.
Like I said above, it should be a fun thing for everyone involved.

"We don't get involved in politics" - You don't have to. Talk to your opponent beforehand. Make agreements on the time, place and pay. Make it friendly.
It's just another PvP puzzle if you treat it like one.

"We don't have enough people in our flag" - In Babylon we've rarely ever needed more than 4 staff members in our blockades. Navers are easy to find.

"We have experience, we just don't like blockades" - If you're the one running the show in your flag then you'll often find yourself doing too much at once.
It can make the whole experience stressful. Find out what you like doing and what you're good at. Get as many people involved as possible.
The real fun happens when everyone is working together to make it happen.

Maybe I'm missing something. Feel free to comment.
I'd be glad to help if you need any help setting up your flag to blockade.
Aristoza
Amateur Owl
Fourteen flag royalty chats, "just tell them to suck 14s nuts"

Avatar by the lovely and talented Cattrin
[Jan 9, 2017 2:35:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

True, but players can drop on their islands, while they can't on uncolonized islands and ringer islands. That is the distinction I made when I developed my database of islands, back in 2013.

BTW, I never found a clear definition of "uncolonized". Islands like Charcoal and waterberry have markets and you can take ferries to them, but they don't show up in yoweb and aren't "owned" by any flag, so I call them "uncolonized".

IMO: If there is a ferry and/or market to the island, I would call it "uncolonized". For the islands that have neither, they are uninhabitable. If a flag (Player, NPP, GH) owns the island, it is colonized.

But, that's my opinion.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jan 9, 2017 3:20:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
TexasBeesh

Thank you! :D List are so fun!
Seatexan - on the Midnight side of Cerulean
LOW RACK PRICES AT DRESSED TO KILL - NAMATH
Always looking for Pollack Sloops!
[Jan 10, 2017 5:17:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

You missed one, Ari ... We don't want all our real life weekend plans for the next (insert period of time here) to have to start with "If we don't have a blockade, we can "

Island holding can be fun, but it can also be a lot of WORK, and disruptive of whatever real life anyone in your flag may have, or want to have.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Jan 10, 2017 11:48:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aligate

You missed one, Ari ... We don't want all our real life weekend plans for the next (insert period of time here) to have to start with "If we don't have a blockade, we can " Island holding can be fun, but it can also be a lot of WORK, and disruptive of whatever real life anyone in your flag may have, or want to have.

I completely agree that holding on to islands can be time consuming. But who says you have to hold onto them every week? If a flag decides to attack you and you're unprepared or don't have time, then so be it. Letting the island go will not cost you anything and you can come back for it at whatever time you please.

What I'm trying to say is that you should only blockade for the sake of blockading. When you win an island then by all means take care of it and manage it well but it should never have to interfere with any real life plans. Play by your own schedule.
Aristoza
Amateur Owl
Fourteen flag royalty chats, "just tell them to suck 14s nuts"

Avatar by the lovely and talented Cattrin
[Jan 10, 2017 1:31:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Loozerme

wooottt

We... We made it! Onto a list! We must be doing something right...
--Loozerme--
[Jan 20, 2017 1:21:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightmaree

dammit i think we have fallen off the list now
Knightmaree, Cobalt
[Jan 22, 2017 4:24:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Loozerme

dammit i think we have fallen off the list now

yeah crap... we're famed enough we might as well blockade a middle-sized island now =\
who knows with a few more days we could go large
--Loozerme--
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Loozerme at Jan 22, 2017 1:23:55 PM]
[Jan 22, 2017 1:23:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
knightmaree

im not even going to go there
Knightmaree, Cobalt
[Jan 23, 2017 8:51:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates