• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 22
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1733 times and has 21 replies Next Thread
Captpogchamp

Attention: Crabbythekid - Reboot Schedule Reply to this Post

Could there please be some sort of weekly guide or forum post outlining when reboots are going to be for that particular week.

It is extremely frustrating, as an Australian, reboot falls at 9:00pm. This means I cannot run anything beforehand because of the uncertainty as to whether there will be a reboot, and that I cannot run anything after because it will be too late for me to wake up. I know a number of other Australian's that find reboots extremely frustrating because we do not know if we are going to be able to do anything meaningful on the game that night.

Reboots are not at any apparent constant time, and it would benefit literally the entire player base to know when they are occurring.

For example, Saturday morning, Joshsivils loaded a citadel run not expecting a reboot (as reboots do not generally occur on Sat). The reboot announcement then came 20 minutes into the cit run.

Tonight, a Monday, when reboots are ordinarily scheduled, had I have known there was no reboot, I would have loaded a Haunted Seas when I got home from work.

The remainder of the week now that the reboot cycle is out of whack, I will not know whether I can load something or not because I cannot know whether to expect a reboot until 30 minutes beforehand.

This is something literally every other game I have played advises players of at least 12 hours in advance. World of Warcraft for example has a banner from 24 hours before when a reboot is going to be.

This is a quality of life thing that will literally benefit everyone in the game to know, and there is no reason not to do this.
[May 3, 2021 3:42:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crazymg

Re: Attention: Crabbythekid - Reboot Schedule Reply to this Post

I agree, trying to predict the reboot schedule is frustrating, at the very least it would be nice to get in game warning messages several hours in advance.
----------------------------------------
~Princessmg~
[May 3, 2021 4:20:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tydeuz

+1
Wetnkushy, Emerald.
[May 3, 2021 5:29:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

I always thought that Reboots have a scheduled day every week, and the reboots other than that are just required due to technical issues...
Robyns
<3
[May 3, 2021 3:44:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Could there please be some sort of weekly guide or forum post outlining when reboots are going to be for that particular week.

It is extremely frustrating, as an Australian, reboot falls at 9:00pm. This means I cannot run anything beforehand because of the uncertainty as to whether there will be a reboot, and that I cannot run anything after because it will be too late for me to wake up. I know a number of other Australian's that find reboots extremely frustrating because we do not know if we are going to be able to do anything meaningful on the game that night.

I am a fellow Australian as well, so I feel your pain. Ideally try and run stuff at 4-5pm or whenever you knock off work. So then by the time its 9pm therefore you can do whatever you want after reboot.

Reboots are not at any apparent constant time, and it would benefit literally the entire player base to know when they are occurring.

Reboots are Normally on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. Never on Weekends if there was there is normally a forum post indicating that if the game is down for number of hours or etc.

Tonight, a Monday, when reboots are ordinarily scheduled, had I have known there was no reboot, I would have loaded a Haunted Seas when I got home from work.

If reboot didn't happen on Monday then 100% it'll happen on Tuesday.

The remainder of the week now that the reboot cycle is out of whack, I will not know whether I can load something or not because I cannot know whether to expect a reboot until 30 minutes beforehand.

This is something literally every other game I have played advises players of at least 12 hours in advance. World of Warcraft for example has a banner from 24 hours before when a reboot is going to be.

This is a quality of life thing that will literally benefit everyone in the game to know, and there is no reason not to do this.

The game has always not suited Australians at all, I've known many friends of mine from my country end up quitting because for Americans/Canadians afternoons its at its peak busy as ever, but for us its dead as anything.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at May 4, 2021 1:32:29 AM]
[May 4, 2021 1:31:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gamerocker20

Not only do Australians have to job for SMH's in the worst time possible, but the devs make it the middle of our peak hour so you can't run anything anyway. I support changing the reboot schedule to be less detrimental towards the asia-pacific population. It's basically robbing the poor.

Obviously there will always be someone effected by the reboot, but there are actually a lot of NZ/Aussie and asian players who play at this time. It would most beneficial to us if it could be moved 2-3 hrs later or earlier.

Set a consistent schedule, advise at least a week in advance if it changes.
[May 4, 2021 3:43:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hotloko

Not an Australian but equally annoyed by it. Pugwash and I just loaded a cit run because there should not be a Reboot on Tuedays but 30 minutes into the run we got the warning that a reboot was coming. Couldn't we at least alert players of a reboot sooner? a normal SMH lasts about 2 hours so give us that much time or more. Warn the server at Midnight then again at 1am and 2am and 3am and then follow the normal warning schedule for the last half hour.
Ninjaturtle of Dragon Lords on Meridian
Ninjy of Good Night on Emerald
[May 4, 2021 3:45:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captpogchamp

I am a fellow Australian as well, so I feel your pain. Ideally try and run stuff at 4-5pm or whenever you knock off work. So then by the time its 9pm therefore you can do whatever you want after reboot.

Wish I could. After the commute home, then dinner etc. It's 7pm when I can start loading.

Reboots are Normally on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. Never on Weekends if there was there is normally a forum post indicating that if the game is down for number of hours or etc.

They normally are. Except for like two weeks in every month when it's scattered. You don't know when a week like that is going to occur, because there is no communication until 30 minutes before.

And last weekend, it did happen on a weekend. Point being, there's no announcement and nobody can be sure about loading anything until the 30 minute announcement either comes or doesn't.

If reboot didn't happen on Monday then 100% it'll happen on Tuesday.

But how can one be so sure?

The game has always not suited Australians at all, I've known many friends of mine from my country end up quitting because for Americans/Canadians afternoons its at its peak busy as ever, but for us its dead as anything.

Literally. I've been playing other games lately of an evening because I'm not sure whether or not I'll be able to play.
[May 4, 2021 3:45:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captpogchamp

A bit of context as well for @Crabbythekid.

Reboots were initially never put to a public schedule because the brigand/barbarian spawns would not engage you in the 30 minutes prior to reboot. Spawns were turned off, as were NPC engagements.

Merchants would use (arguably exploit) this window to float solo merchant brigs, galleons and frigs across the ocean full of stock, as well as float fleets.

This was changed circa 2014 so that you could be engaged in the window and the benefit was removed.

Additional swabbies were also added to ships to make it easier and not rely so much on the 30 minute grace window.

This is no longer an issue.
[May 4, 2021 3:53:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

+1 for the 3 hours, 2 hours, 1 hour notice, 30 minutes notice etc then disable spawns at the 30 minute mark or 20.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[May 4, 2021 4:05:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gamerocker20

Even if YPP just posted reboot info on their twitter account it would be helpful.

https://twitter.com/puzzlepirates?lang=en

Would be way more useful than their other posts
[May 4, 2021 4:52:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

+1

Even if YPP just posted reboot info on their twitter account it would be helpful.

https://twitter.com/puzzlepirates?lang=en

Would be way more useful than their other posts

If it's too much to ask for a longer warning in-game, twitter would be great because there are a bunch of discord bots that can alert you upon new twitter posts, getting the word across somewhat, since barely anyone checks the forums frequently.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
[May 4, 2021 8:26:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dunsparce1

Support for Reboot reminders 3 hours, 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes in advance. Spawns can stay enabled before the reboot imo.
Dunsparce on Emerald
Emiya on Cerulean
[May 5, 2021 6:05:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

We try not to have scheduled reboots at weekends but if a patch isn't totally urgent but can't wait until Monday we have to do so.

If a patch is urgent, and can't wait for a scheduled reboot, it has to go out as soon as possible.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[May 5, 2021 10:03:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captpogchamp

We try not to have scheduled reboots at weekends but if a patch isn't totally urgent but can't wait until Monday we have to do so.

If a patch is urgent, and can't wait for a scheduled reboot, it has to go out as soon as possible.

Thank you Demeter. Completely understood that these reboots need to happen and I am not against reboots at all. It?s moreso just a plea for more alert as to when reboots are going to be. On a game where it takes up to 1 hour generally to load patiently for a 2-3 hour voyage, it?s very unfortunate to do the 1 hour load and only get to spend 30 minutes actually puzzling and doing the bigger ship HS / Atlantis.

I am extremely pleased and give kudos to you for your post noting additional downtime. I hope this becomes a weekly fixture with reboots.

Finally, as an aside, if additional money is what it takes to implement a longer rolling timer from the 3 hour mark as suggested above by numerous players, please contact me directly (you have my email) and I will pay the developers? hourly rate for the time it takes them to implement same.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Captpogchamp at May 5, 2021 4:43:58 PM]
[May 5, 2021 4:40:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizeau

How about a countdown timer on the notice board?
[May 7, 2021 2:20:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blackishroze

How about a countdown timer on the notice board?

I could be wrong, however i feel like that would take a lot of extra hassle to conduct, especially in the need for any "emergency" maintenance.

I will agree with the others above us that a 3 hour broadcast would be awesome. That way no matter if it is scheduled or not, all players will have more than enough time to plan life out from the point of initial broadcasts.
Lilmissemo of Cerulean
Twicetwisted on Emerald

"Is THAT a sword?!?"
"Why yes, yes it is."
P.S. I collect Barbels!
[May 9, 2021 11:48:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drocnav

Better notification of reboots is 100% necessary
Vancord of the Viridian ocean

SO of Uprising

Prince of Notorious
[May 16, 2021 4:30:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captpogchamp

@Hera @Nemesis @Demeter @Clotho @Crabbythekid @Forculus @Cronus

Ahoy,

I noticed an out of the ordinary reboot occurred on Wednesday morning. Could you please urgently confirm how the reboot schedule will be effected for the remainder of the week?

Thank you.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Captpogchamp at May 19, 2021 6:13:33 PM]
[May 19, 2021 6:12:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tydeuz

@Hera @Nemesis @Demeter @Clotho @Crabbythekid @Forculus @Cronus

Ahoy,

I noticed an out of the ordinary reboot occurred on Wednesday morning. Could you please urgently confirm how the reboot schedule will be effected for the remainder of the week?

Thank you.

I did notice someone trying to load a SMH and then unexpectedly reboot came; then got over jobbed after reboot.
Wetnkushy, Emerald.
[May 20, 2021 1:21:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Captpogchamp

The server will be rebooted in 180 minutes. This is a regularly scheduled maintenance reboot. It will be available as soon as possible.

Thank you. I am very amazed by your prompt attention to this.
[May 21, 2021 1:42:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrabbytheKid
Developer

Apologies for the unplanned releases/reboots. I will try to be more mindful of these going forward. There are now a series of reboot warnings starting at three hours out(180, 120, 90, 60, 30...). Our standard release process usually schedules these more than three hours ahead of time. But, as Demeter mentioned, if we have an urgent release we may have to fall back to shorter lead times resulting in less warning time.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
Crabby
[May 21, 2021 9:03:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates