• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 77
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20384 times and has 76 replies Next Thread
Scarpath

Re: First Impressions! Reply to this Post

So, I truly dont see why wold you think a reset is a good or even neutral idea at all; it is, in my opinion, a bad idea.

A reset is probably only going to happen if a bug is discovered that 'breaks' the game. In such a case, it will be necessary. We are just beta testing. It is our job to work out the kinks and find bugs. If a fresh launch is what happens, then so be it. If we keep our progress from the beta, then so be that.
----------------------------------------
Scarpath on Emerald, Cerulean, and Meridian!

Also Scarpath on Obsidian, Defiant to the core.

Your grammar should at least be as good as mine, take the time to make it decent!
[Jul 6, 2017 9:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Halfbrain5

I, for one, do not see a problem (in the current system) with being able to swabbie ships per se, to an island to be attacked. Yes, those ships are going to be invulnerable, but they are not going to be able to carry anything in the hold either.
- When they reach port (enemy held), I expect they would need to pay a bribe to dock?
- If they were swabbied and therefore carried nothing, materials (rum and cbs) need to be bought at enemy islands. I don't even know if this is possible, has anyone tried this yet? (Also in this line of thought, can defiant owned stalls be opened on shadow land, for example?)
- If buying supplies from the enemy island is not possible, then the attacking flag will need to sail a number of supply ships to the island, and those will not be swabbied and therefore vulnerable to attack.

I do, however, understand that the mere idea of docking ships at an enemy port in preparation for blockades is quite... illogical.

anyone favoring doing away with swabbied ships can't have experienced the alternative - "floating" several unstocked ships at a time with alt accounts (solo) moving at a snail's pace after the first battle or 2

the bribe to dock was instituted recently on all oceans in anticipation of this ocean

if islands change hands often, there will be a mix of stalls owned by both factions even if one is limited to opening stalls on islands held by ones faction.

what is illogical about moving ships to an island to blockade it? if a ship sinks in a blockade, why should it's replacement have to sail a league to enter? part of blockade strategy is having a fast turnaround to get another ship on the board as quickly as possible.

as for reducing delivery fees mentioned by several people - this is a dub ocean. delivery fees and badges are how it operates. the need for pirate and bravery badges was eliminated and now you want GH to give you more? anyone who is paying the equivalent of 2dubs/person/seg (20 dubs) for blockade pay shouldn't balk at paying delivery fees for ships.

as for the danger of sinking - that is the entire premise of this ocean, that sinking will add to the excitement of playing here.

if being sunk at any time, paying delivery fees, and the other new features do not appeal to you, rather than advocate changing them to be the same as on the current oceans, just keep playing on the same ocean as you have been.
Doggbreath, Rogues Riding Sell me your ink! any Cerulean island 500/unit

Yer daily horoscope reads: Investing in insane dogs will result in good health

Ohiya says, "By the way how many curly toads does it take to make curly toad slippers
[Jul 6, 2017 10:04:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

as for reducing delivery fees mentioned by several people - this is a dub ocean. delivery fees and badges are how it operates. the need for pirate and bravery badges was eliminated and now you want GH to give you more? anyone who is paying the equivalent of 2dubs/person/seg (20 dubs) for blockade pay shouldn't balk at paying delivery fees for ships.

Who decides what is the right amount? Is the current prices so perfect that we shouldn't even discuss about them?

Most successful competitive games nowadays follow a model where the company earn money mainly by cosmetic items. If you restrict competitive gameplay behind paywalls, especially in this degree, all you get is a pure p2w game. At the previous oceans that wasnt so obvious, because most people were minding their own business and didn't care about blockades and such competitive stuff. We'll see how the game develops here, but I believe the highly competitive atmosphere makes the p2w feature extremely detrimental to the game.
[Jul 6, 2017 10:24:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anastomosis5

So, I truly dont see why wold you think a reset is a good or even neutral idea at all; it is, in my opinion, a bad idea.

A reset is probably only going to happen if a bug is discovered that 'breaks' the game. In such a case, it will be necessary. We are just beta testing. It is our job to work out the kinks and find bugs. If a fresh launch is what happens, then so be it. If we keep our progress from the beta, then so be that.

Well duh. Obviously.
I'm just pointing out that if everything goes smoothly, a reset for the sake of it is a bad idea in my opinion. If theres a big bug or a necesary fix that requiers an ocean reset, thats a whole different story.
[Jul 6, 2017 10:33:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

anyone favoring doing away with swabbied ships can't have experienced the alternative - "floating" several unstocked ships at a time with alt accounts (solo) moving at a snail's pace after the first battle or 2

Oh I remember that. Hehe. Years back when I first asked "how can I help?" in blockade preparations, that was what I was told to do - stand (or you can do whatever) on a ship and click sail when you get to the league point. Then when you get to the island, port, go to the next ship on your list, wash, rinse, repeat.

In any case, floating won't work in Obsidian. The ship will most likely be attacked and probably sink. Moving ships will likely need a whole team on board.

if islands change hands often, there will be a mix of stalls owned by both factions even if one is limited to opening stalls on islands held by ones faction.

Ok. So I just looked at Shadow Stronghold and who'd a few of the stall owners to check what factions they belong to. I saw shadows, neutrals, and defiants. So I guess, if it's the same way with islands that can be blockaded, it is possible to have a mix of stalls.

However, I don't know if strongholds are actually a good example. Those islands can't be blockaded and are basically OM-controlled.

The overview of changes has this in the list:

Governors now have the power to close down shops on their islands. If they do so, the shop will immediately go dark. A notice will be displayed in the "Building" tab clarifying that the shop was shut down by the governor.

I don't know if that's only for shoppes, or if it works on stalls, too. If so, then if the governor chooses, he/she can actually close all opposing faction's shoppes (and stalls).

Anyway, we will only find out for sure when islands start getting colonized, etc, etc.

what is illogical about moving ships to an island to blockade it? if a ship sinks in a blockade, why should it's replacement have to sail a league to enter? part of blockade strategy is having a fast turnaround to get another ship on the board as quickly as possible.

You misunderstand me. There is nothing illogical about moving ships towards an island to be blockaded. The illogical thing is docking at the island.

Imagine, for a moment, that this is happening in the real world.
- The enemy who wants to take your island, who intends to take your island, will most likely attack you from offshore. They are not going to dock at your port, then deport to attack.
- You, on the other hand, seeing these ships and knowing that they intend to attack your island... will you actually let them port? I don't think any amount of bribe will make me allow that. But then again, maybe that's just me. =P

Another thing you misunderstood about what I said is sailing a league to enter. I never said that. I said that the 1st league point away from the island (where the player flotilla is) is the ocean-side (of the blockade board).

Currently, the entirety of the blockade board is supposedly within the island league point. I was suggesting, basically, that the board be between the island league point and the 1 league point away where I imagine the player flotilla could be positioned. So when the attacking ships "deport" from their temporary "port" (player flotilla), then can immediately enter the blockade board on the ocean side. I hope that's clearer.

I will concede, however, that that might be too big of an area. I only suggested 1 lp away because even BK flotillas are found on set league points and the 1 lp away is the closest to the island that's not at the island. But perhaps some temporary points a little closer to the island can be added to serve as points for establishing player flotillas?

I don't know about them but my reasoning for wishing for reduced delivery fees (for ships, particularly sloops and maybe cutters) compared to other oceans is - this isn't like other oceans. There will be a much higher rate of sinking on Obsidian, more turn over of ships. A delivery fee of 20 dubs for a sloop would be fine for a lowly pirate on Emerald, where he could sail pretty much anywhere in relative safety. But a delivery fee of 20 dubs (each) for a sloop, and another, and another, and another (because unless you are really, really good, you are bound to sink sometime) would be painful for the average pirate on Obsidian. Keep the dubs for clothes and furniture as is, keep the dubs for rowboat kits even, and badges. Heck, keep the dubs for the big ships as is. But the sloop... (maybe not even the cutter because those are more for those moving commodities for stalls and shops). The sloop, please. Making them a little more affordable will encourage the average pirate to take more risks and go out there. Unless, of course, we want this game to cater only the wealthier...

as for the danger of sinking - that is the entire premise of this ocean, that sinking will add to the excitement of playing here.

Who says otherwise?

ETA:

if being sunk at any time, paying delivery fees, and the other new features do not appeal to you, rather than advocate changing them to be the same as on the current oceans, just keep playing on the same ocean as you have been.

I don't think anyone is advocating changing anything to be the same as current oceans. Some are advocating disabling swabbie transport - current oceans have swabbie transport. I was suggesting some change as to how the current blockade board is positioned (more or less, etc, etc.) Some are hoping for a change in dub delivery pricing.
Unless I'm missing something, I don't really see anyone suggesting Obsidian be made more like the old oceans. The suggestions I'm seeing are what changes can be made to the older model so that things will work better for this new one.
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Opsat at Jul 6, 2017 1:20:09 PM]
[Jul 6, 2017 12:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

The overview of changes has this in the list:

Governors now have the power to close down shops on their islands. If they do so, the shop will immediately go dark. A notice will be displayed in the "Building" tab clarifying that the shop was shut down by the governor.

I don't know if that's only for shoppes, or if it works on stalls, too. If so, then if the governor chooses, he/she can actually close all opposing faction's shoppes (and stalls).

Anyway, we will only find out for sure when islands start getting colonized, etc, etc.

I have been anything but hanging on every twist and turn of Obsidian deployment so I may have missed the answer to the question I am about to ask...

Does the shoppe owner have any recourse to avoid their shoppe being taken from them? Like bribing someone or something like that? Can a governor close an active shoppe just because they don't like the owner?
Hankscorpio
[Jul 6, 2017 4:08:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

I have been anything but hanging on every twist and turn of Obsidian deployment so I may have missed the answer to the question I am about to ask...

Does the shoppe owner have any recourse to avoid their shoppe being taken from them? Like bribing someone or something like that?

You can bribe the governor, I presume.

You can also convince your flag to retake the island before the shoppe dusts.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Jul 6, 2017 5:10:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2NDSKY

PvP'ing needs to have a bigger impact on this ocean.
The board is still way too big (think back to Game Gardens Bnav simulator, those
are the boards we need..)! There are 0 PvP related throphies.
Add a bounty to ships that have won a certain amount of PvP battles. Make the PvP standing have a bigger impact. Work with some kind of star rating like in GTA.

Encourage us to bring forth our inner pirate and shoot stuff!
"Look! A 5 star, sword, skull or whatever rated enemy ship! Let's take them on and bathe in their riches! Arr!" Something like that? Idk.
Shadowiie on Emerald
[Jul 11, 2017 3:28:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
escooper

In what ways can the dub offer / selling exchange be improved? Can there be a max cap put in place?
Samjones (All oceans)
Collector of ships with Mummichog fish name and Moody Adjective.

Be a pirate. Play like a pirate today #puzzlepirates
[Edit 1 times, last edit by escooper at Jul 11, 2017 3:49:42 AM]
[Jul 11, 2017 3:49:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

In what ways can the dub offer / selling exchange be improved? Can there be a max cap put in place?

But there is a cap of 32k.
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Jul 11, 2017 4:54:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zxyz

PvP'ing needs to have a bigger impact on this ocean.
The board is still way too big (think back to Game Gardens Bnav simulator, those
are the boards we need..)! There are 0 PvP related throphies.
Add a bounty to ships that have won a certain amount of PvP battles. Make the PvP standing have a bigger impact. Work with some kind of star rating like in GTA.

Encourage us to bring forth our inner pirate and shoot stuff!
"Look! A 5 star, sword, skull or whatever rated enemy ship! Let's take them on and bathe in their riches! Arr!" Something like that? Idk.

Yeah this. This is meant to be a PvP ocean but I don't see any actual incentives for PvP? No trophies, no ranking, no PoE rewards. Easy to disengage a potential and carry on without any real threat. Having your own separate PvP ranking, some PvP trophies and some PoE rewards along with smaller boards would be good.
Xy on Obsidian
[Jul 11, 2017 6:27:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zanreth

Shinito made a website that tracks pvp stats of major crews: http://nautical-spy.agency/
Albert, Obsidian, Defiant Armada
Calicojack, Emerald
[Jul 11, 2017 8:14:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mysteryman64

Does the shoppe owner have any recourse to avoid their shoppe being taken from them? Like bribing someone or something like that? Can a governor close an active shoppe just because they don't like the owner?

No, the shop owner does not have any non-human interaction way of preventing their shop from being closed. If the Governor decides to close your shop, it's getting shuttered and the 30 day countdown begins.

That being said, the Governor is a human being and there are plenty of other human being's on the ocean as well. If you don't want your shop to be dusted, better start developing those diplomatic skills, because you're going to need to convince either the current governor that you're too important/useful to have your shop dusted or you need to convince some other people to help you take the island before your shop is dusted.
The Devil's Advocate
[Jul 11, 2017 8:22:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sovereignty

Man have I really loved coming back to PP, and it's been a blast since I've picked up my mug and dove back in.

Still I can't help but feel that it's really the same game that I left so many years ago (save for the content that came after I'd went), and part of me wonders if it's just the nostalgia that's kept me invested in this new ocean thus far.

Playing with the burgeoning economy has been enjoyable, but what's actually all that different? Nothings really been done to 'update' the game to make it feel like it isn't severely dated (God the movement system needs a serious revamp!), the graphics really haven't aged well, and there are still a bunch of problems that I foresee will make the game rebuff new players once Dark Seas officially launches.

I loved Y!PP, and I can see why I did... But I really hope this game turns a corner, cause so far I just don't see the renewal exploding as I would like it to right now.
[Jul 17, 2017 3:03:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madesteven

I've loved playing again, I just hope Grey Havens won't make the same mistake that Three Rings did before them. Addressing issues such as doubloon delivery costs on ships is a good sign that they are willing to make changes to the game that result in its revival.

They also need to pick up on the communication with players.

Old School Runescape has 100k players, we have about 1000. I think there is a golden opportunity to be had here, as long as they take advantage of it.
Jacada
Senior Officer - Anarchist Syndicate
Lord of Versus Terminus
Obsidian Ocean
Defiant Armada

[Jul 18, 2017 7:19:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
boonsoft

I can pretty much say The concept of the obsidian ocean was something i was looking foward too and ofcours hyped up thinking this would be a nice way for everyone too have a fair start too the game new and such. However unfortuantly after not even 2 weeks i can say without a doubt that the way things are going in that ocean it wont last long . The fact 1 faction has the majority of the massive/big crews of one ocean and then start abusing the other faction who don't even have 1/3 of there numbers is ridiculous. i mean yes the point of obsidian is too sink plunder and such. but how can anybody expect too even try anything if they get constantly target and abused? Having a big crew waiting on every lp just too attack u constantly over and over not even giving u remotely a chance too retaliate.

Not too mention having the dubs ready too be purchase on release was a big mistake giving too many of those big crews a huge lead. Well i say in my opinion if they except on release date on steam for this ocean to rack in good amount of new players i wont expect many would stay too long if this type of abuse keeps going.

in my opinion they should either make it that if a certain ship got attacked by a crew they shouldn't be able to get target anymore for that specifiek route until they port/set out again, Give new players/new crews a 2 week or 3 week free pass so they don't get constantly attacked while trying to develop there crew/
And most importantly fix the faction balanced.
[Jul 18, 2017 8:35:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madesteven

I don't think being the underdog when it comes to having less players is that big of an issue, this is an open world, open pvp sandbox game. Look at Goonswarm in Eve as a perfect example of what determination can do.

I think complaining about pvp might mean that perhaps this Ocean is a little to difficult for you.

I will also say, that as of right now Defiant Armada has 40 more pirates online than Shadow Fleet, if thats really such a big issue then I have no idea how you will ever be satisfied with any sort of pvp based game.
Jacada
Senior Officer - Anarchist Syndicate
Lord of Versus Terminus
Obsidian Ocean
Defiant Armada

[Edit 1 times, last edit by madesteven at Jul 18, 2017 1:42:05 PM]
[Jul 18, 2017 1:37:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 77   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates