• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 80
Posts: 80   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24890 times and has 79 replies Next Thread
Robyns090

Something has to be done about Doubloons Reply to this Post

For a long time now Doubloon prices have really effected the game. I believe we are now at a critical stage where something needs to change.

I don't claim to have all the answers but what I would suggest is for doubloon delivery costs to be lowered accordingly on all items (more so on clothing and furniture than ships).

Also I believe something needs to change with the doubloon market place as on several occasions I have noticed how certain pirates are purposely mass increasing the price of doubloons for whatever reason. Here I would suggest maybe limiting how many bids you can have at once, although again i dont think I have the definitive answer here.

Something else that needs to change is how gold boxes are effecting doubloon prices, as when they come out they increase doubloon prices. But once they are gone doubloon prices never return to what they where prior to the gold box. This has created an issue where doubloon prices have slowly got higher and higher, and even the boxes with doubloons don't seem to put doubloon prices back down to what they were prior to the gold box.

Like I have said several times I dont have all the answers, perhaps some other pirates have some they'd like to mention. But i do believe something needs to be done sooner rather than later.
----------------------------------------
Robyns
<3
[Jul 14, 2017 6:15:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

Re: Something has to be done about Doubloons Reply to this Post

More on clothes and furnitures rather than ships? It seems you have a preference here :P
High Doubloon cost of ships is what makes this competitive game so much pay to win. If Doubloon prices should fall, ships should be the first.

I'm not sure how much played are trying to at with the Doubloon market, but I agree on limiting the number of bids with different prices. Also let us see more of the bids list.
[Jul 15, 2017 12:43:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mikipiki

Cosmetics like clothes and ships should be what cost more in my opinion. They should be what people buy dubs for, things like ships, especially on obsidian, should have lower costs especially considering the increased PVP and sinking.
[Jul 15, 2017 2:19:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

The doubloon costs of ships on Obsidian were already reduced yesterday - by 25-50%. SYs only seem to be able to make sloops right now with the hemp shortage (they went from 20d to 15d) so I can't tell what the exact reductions on the other ships are yet, but it's a good change.
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Jul 15, 2017 3:54:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

The doubloon costs of ships on Obsidian were already reduced yesterday - by 25-50%. SYs only seem to be able to make sloops right now with the hemp shortage (they went from 20d to 15d) so I can't tell what the exact reductions on the other ships are yet, but it's a good change.

Omg, I didn't even notice. The developers are heading on the right direction. Ships are 90% of the problem. That's because with ships, the more u have the more competitive you are.

On other items, like badges, rowboat kits, shops etc. even though they are a core part of the gameplay, they don't really ruin the competitive nature that much because each pirate can only use 1 of each kind of these items. e.g. no matter how many $$ and doubloons you have, u can only benefit from 1 officer badge.

Of course pirates will be able to sell doubloons and get poes, which is a pay to win feature. But that will be a minor problem imo. Low doubloon on ships means that crews will have the chance to build a competitive fleet or recover from losses, even without much $$. And after that, what matters is basically skill. The doubloon/poe prices will also be quite lower.

I hope they won't stop there. But this is a great change so far.
[Jul 15, 2017 4:43:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Altich wrote: 

Omg, I didn't even notice. The developers are heading on the right direction. Ships are 90% of the problem. That's because with ships, the more u have the more competitive you are.

On other items, like badges, rowboat kits, shops etc. even though they are a core part of the gameplay, they don't really ruin the competitive nature that much because each pirate can only use 1 of each kind of these items. e.g. no matter how many $$ and doubloons you have, u can only benefit from 1 officer badge.

Of course pirates will be able to sell doubloons and get poes, which is a pay to win feature. But that will be a minor problem imo. Low doubloon on ships means that crews will have the chance to build a competitive fleet or recover from losses, even without much $$. And after that, what matters is basically skill. The doubloon/poe prices will also be quite lower.

I hope they won't stop there. But this is a great change so far.

I thought OP was referring to more needs to be done about doubloon prices on furniture and clothes, not they needed to be more. 3 doubloons, or 6-9k, to deliver a SINK is ridiculous. IMO housing and furniture should be massively reduced ($135 for an Estate, really?!), and the others should be looked at to keep in line with any changes made.
Penguinpaste, SO of Polaris, Obsidian. Dark side.

[Jul 15, 2017 5:30:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Altich

I thought OP was referring to more needs to be done about doubloon prices on furniture and clothes, not they needed to be more. 3 doubloons, or 6-9k, to deliver a SINK is ridiculous. IMO housing and furniture should be massively reduced ($135 for an Estate, really?!), and the others should be looked at to keep in line with any changes made.

The thing is that cosmetic items are kind of a personal matter. You like a furniture? Is it worth like 3$? Then u buy it. Otherwise you don't.

BUT competitive items like ships, are NOT personal matter. E.g. if someone buys 10 ships for 100$, then they ruin the competitive nature of the game for EVERYONE who doesn't have the same kind of money.

So, generally, the smartest thing to do is to shift the doubloon costs to cosmetic items, so each person can decide for themselves which items are worth buying and which are not, without ruining the experience of other players.
[Jul 15, 2017 6:15:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

More on clothes and furnitures rather than ships? It seems you have a preference here :P
High Doubloon cost of ships is what makes this competitive game so much pay to win. If Doubloon prices should fall, ships should be the first.

I'm not sure how much played are trying to at with the Doubloon market, but I agree on limiting the number of bids with different prices. Also let us see more of the bids list.

The only reason I say less so on ships is because doubloons are spent the most on ship delivery than anything else (perhaps besides badges), where as cosmetic items like clothes are rarely ordered from a shoppe due to the high doubloon delivery prices.
Robyns
<3
[Jul 15, 2017 6:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Onelegstan

Since the price of dubs is closing on 3k again and will only continue to rise. I every dub cost was reduced by 10-25% and instead of that a poe tax was introduced. This would be a huge poe sink out of the game as help keep dubloon prices lower. The lower dubloons cost the easier it is for none paying players to stay competitive.
Martyhur on Emerald
Marty on Obsidian
[Jul 18, 2017 2:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mysteryman64

more so on clothing and furniture than ships

Going to have to wildly disagree here.

Without cheap and accessible ships, the game dies.

Clothing and furniture are pure vanity items. If anything, the opposite should be true and the vast majority of doubloon costs should be centered around clothing and furniture.
The Devil's Advocate
[Jul 18, 2017 6:50:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madesteven

I totally agree with this thread, the doubloon system does feel like it nickle and dimes players constantly. I think its horribly outdated.
Jacada
Senior Officer - Anarchist Syndicate
Lord of Versus Terminus
Obsidian Ocean
Defiant Armada

[Jul 18, 2017 6:51:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

There is no easy solution to "fix" doubloons. I'll try and break it down as best I can:

GH has to ensure all running and wage costs are covered, which is the primary concern here. They care about how many doubloons are being purchased with real money. Those who bulk buy to resell are also in this bracket, because more being purchased results in lower prices.

For most players who play for free or only occasionally buy doubloons they don't resell, it is the actual cost in PoE, not how many are being bought for cash, that matters. This distinction is important.

I believe a key aspect lies not with delivery fees, but with reducing the volatility of the market. If the ability to profit is removed from buying and selling the same doubloons, or hoarding them to force prices up, people will stop doing it. There is far too much PoE to be made out of playing the market. And before anyone cries that the risk balances it out, that risk has never stopped anyone before and will not in the future.

How this is accomplished can vary. Tracking the price of each individual doubloon may sound good, but that leaves open the ability to game the system using alts to hold higher value ones while sinking lower cost ones on delivery. It could also lead to people being stuck with doubloons whose value is vastly different than the market rate.

Not allowing the resale of doubloons purchased with PoE is a potential way, especially if they are always sunk first when delivering. That removes the issue of buying and selling for profit, but still leaves the market open to price swings based on supply and demand. This method could leave players less willing to sell ones they purchased as they will then have to buy untradeable ones if they underestimate how many they need, but that should be manageable. GH would have to evaluate the market data to see how many doubloons are bought and resold vs bought and sunk to measure the real potential impact here.

Another method would be to set either a price ceiling or absolute price for doubloons. An absolute price would be fairest in terms of stopping market manipulation and profit, and not involve the stopping of reselling, but then the question would be: What is the price? 1500? 2000? 2500? Who decides this? Higher values favour real money purchasers, while lower values favour free and occasional purchasers. A price ceiling leaves some of that play in the market, but still asks the question of where to be set. Also, what happens at that ceiling? Is it simply the maximum value, or are there infinite doubloons seeded by GH at it? That doesn't sound so bad, knowing that there will always be doubloons available at, say, 3k. Player purchases could of course drive the prices lower. The risk with that, however, is everyone accepting 3k (or whatever value) as part of the cost, the economy adjusting around it, and very few people purchasing doubloons with real money.

Finding a balanced solution will not be easy, and involve a lot of trawling through market data. Add in the fact that a poor decision could ruin GH financially, and there should be no question as to why they are hesitant to make big changes.

YPP is unique (afaik) in that the premium currency is purchasable with in-game currency. Other games do have similar features (PLEX in EVE comes to mind) but that is purchasing a subscription from another player, which means they must either pay cash to the company or purchase one of these to play. In YPP there is no requirement to buy doubloons to play, and individual use varies widely (instead of 1 per character). This is relevant because it means there is no success/failure data out there.

Personally, I feel that restricting market profit is a good starting point. Perhaps doubloons could be made so that instead of purchasing them ahead of time, they are bought directly from the market when delivery occurs. Players would not be able to purchase them for future use, effectively eliminating profiting from price changes. Profits could still be made by reselling delivered goods, but that increases the risk (everyone needs doubloons, low risk. Not everyone wants a brig or that sword, so your personal risk increases).

Delivery would have an additional button, to distinguish between using doubloons you have paid real money for, or directly purchasing them off the market. For example, delivering a sloop would give the option of "Spend 15 doubloons" or "Buy doubloons directly from market: 42,075 PoE".

[Jul 18, 2017 8:17:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snuby

Delivery would have an additional button, to distinguish between using doubloons you have paid real money for, or directly purchasing them off the market. For example, delivering a sloop would give the option of "Spend 15 doubloons" or "Buy doubloons directly from market: 42,075 PoE".

I was initially thinking something like doubloons that are bought with real money can be used for delivery, tipped and/or put on the market. Doubloons aquired from the market or that were tiped to you are "rusty doubloons" or something and can only be used for delivery.
Penguin's idea seems alot easier to implement.
Snuby.
Current avatar by Phillite
[Jul 18, 2017 8:32:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

Clothing and furniture are pure vanity items. If anything, the opposite should be true and the vast majority of doubloon costs should be centered around clothing and furniture.

I understand your point here and see where you are coming from, but my understanding is most clothes and furniture are purchased between pirates or on racks. So no doubloons are being used here, therefore I suggested lowering doubloon prices on clothes and furniture so people would start to more frequently buy clothes and furniture from shoppes rather than one another.
Robyns
<3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Robyns090 at Jul 18, 2017 9:04:59 AM]
[Jul 18, 2017 9:03:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I totally agree with this thread, the doubloon system does feel like it nickle and dimes players constantly. I think its horribly outdated.

That's amusing because back in the day, when Midnight and Ice were the only playable oceans for players, one of the gripes from some of the player-base was paying a fee for features you never used. They were clamoring for a system where they could pay a la carte.

Now here we are, a la carte, and as some of us tried to explain back then, the cost for a la carte is going to out-weigh what a subscription would cost (and would expose less of the game to the paying player).
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Jul 18, 2017 12:46:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Shinito

pro watch of F2P games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
Thorkill on Malachite 2.0 Obsidian
[Jul 21, 2017 10:50:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirTomasco

pro watch of F2P games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

Thanks for informative video.
Tomasco on the Meridian.
Back to Pillaging like a Fool.
Cannonballs are still cheaper than defeat.
[Jul 22, 2017 9:41:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nkirbit

Dubloons currently are at about 7k on Obsidian, trades occurred at 8k. The market's all over the place.. at one point there were only 3 people actually selling dubloons. I don't think the price will settle that high, but it's been increasing by several hundred poe daily the past couple of weeks.

I know it's a complicated problem and I don't really have anything to offer in terms of a solution, but I just want to reiterate that GH needs to do something here. I don't think the game can survive like this. New players (if they ever come) can't afford to spend something like 125k poe to access large parts of the game (sloop/officer badge).
Endless
[Aug 13, 2017 5:12:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Onelegstan

Dubloons currently are at about 7k on Obsidian, trades occurred at 8k. The market's all over the place.. at one point there were only 3 people actually selling dubloons. I don't think the price will settle that high, but it's been increasing by several hundred poe daily the past couple of weeks.

I know it's a complicated problem and I don't really have anything to offer in terms of a solution, but I just want to reiterate that GH needs to do something here. I don't think the game can survive like this. New players (if they ever come) can't afford to spend something like 125k poe to access large parts of the game (sloop/officer badge).

I completely agree. I don't think the dub cost of ships has been reduced enough. Ships are the core of the game, and without them being cheap and accessible for all then it's no use
Martyhur on Emerald
Marty on Obsidian
[Aug 13, 2017 6:09:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Until it becomes unprofitable to play the market, things are unlikely to change. Unless someone is desperate for PoE, they have no reason to sell doubloons at a rate that will drive the price down.

The fact of the matter is that the cost of playing at the level many players expect (especially former subscribers) is too high. The price of a WB used to get me unlimited access (albeit only 48 hours of labour) for an entire month. We rely on pay to win "credit card captains" to sell doubloons and offset our own costs.

Perhaps an entire restructuring is in order, where doubloons are focused on base access and the extremely high end, shifting the delivery costs from ships and furniture to cosmetics. Allow players to purchase injuries, chromas, renames etc with doubloons.

[Aug 14, 2017 4:23:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Florianlp

In my Opinion, the game is killing itsellf here once again.

Dub prices needs to be fixed by setting a limit to max and min price.
There is no no reason to have to pay more than 3k poe per DUB.
I dont care what is actually affecting the DUB Prices, but it needs
to be shut down.

Disable Dubs to poe exchange
Only let poe be exchanged to dubs
this would mean everyone would still have to actually do something for poe
which would lower the "pay2win" or lets say "pay2havemorewithoutdoinganything" aspect.
[Aug 14, 2017 12:21:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Florianlp wrote: 
this would mean everyone would still have to actually do something for poe
which would lower the "pay2win" or lets say "pay2havemorewithoutdoinganything" aspect.

Someone has to buy them with real money, and at a faster rate than they are consumed if prices are to go down. Slowly releasing a large purchase will net a seller more money than selling them all at once, which is why prices will only go down when someone is desperate for the PoE quickly. Sellers control the market, and those who hoard doubloons to resell when the price rises (or just sink absurd amounts into things like gold boxes).

Unless one of the fundamental ways doubloons and the exchange work happens, expect prices to keep doing what they've been doing.

[Aug 14, 2017 2:57:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Doubloons aquired from the market or that were tiped to you are "rusty doubloons"

... I might accept "tarnished" doubloons, but be very disappointed that GH uses such a heavily alloyed gold for their coins. :/

Seriously, there are a few issues here.

1) Some of the hoarding going on is probably not for resale, but simply to have what players consider a "comfortable" stockpile for personal use. Most of the Obsidian players are old salts used to having three or four digits worth of dubs sitting around, so they can impulse purchase whatever they want without needing to hit the doubloon market.

2) Not enough people purchasing dubs with real money for the markets. This is an issue everywhere, not just on Obsidian, but it's most noticeable there. I don't know any serious way this can be solved, short of changing the structure of the game.

3) On the other end of the stick, too many dub charges in the game, especially for beginner level items. For me, that doesn't mean ships*, since those aren't beginner-level items, but there should be more options in dub-free clothing and weapons, and if there's some practical way to open the labor puzzles and parlor games to everyone all the time, that would remove one "door-slam" for new players, as well.

* On Obsidian, ships should cost less because they're consumable items, not permanent. The drop in price should reflect the number of ships actually being sunk in PvP.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Aug 15, 2017 4:23:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Forevever

If the number of people buying dubs with poe at the exchange is greater than the number of people buying dubs with real money, this will cause dub prices to go up.

If most of the people buying dubs with real money, are hoarding their dubs for personal use, then the poe cost of dubs will go even higher.

This is exactly what you're seeing on every ocean.

Inflation is real. Supply and demand. We have a lot more poe these days, we don't see much reason to spend real money on them. I barely blink paying 4k per dub on Emerald atm, because I'm a puzzler, and my overall poe income can handle it.

I do like the idea of not being able to buy dubs ahead of time with poe. Make it so that I have to buy them at the current price on delivery. Brilliant suggestion from Penguinbob

Another possible suggestion is to offer something better for real cash.
The dubs are nice, but we're not getting quite enough of them per purchase to make any kind of dent in this issue.

We would need everyone to WANT to spend the cash.

The plushies are cute, and I can always use some rogue marks - but I can buy these things cheap in trade chat. Although I often overpay for them on purpose to help promote actual cash spending.

What if you add an additional bonus per purchase? What if you produced LE ships that only come with cash purchases? LE ships tend to be super popular in the game, and they sell for some very high amounts. What if - just a thought - to get a Mark II (which is one of the more basic LE's) - you had to spend $20. With no other way to get it into the game. Yes I could still buy it in Trade chat, but for every Mark II I purchase with poe through trading, I know that someone gave the game $20 for it.

Just a thought. Maybe not a ship, maybe something else.... its not up to me to work out the kinks in this theory. Just wanted to present it as a possibility.
Forevever and Foreverchaos
Cerulean and Meridian
[Aug 16, 2017 9:40:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    forevever [Link]  Go to top 
Bubblesalt

* On Obsidian, ships should cost less because they're consumable items, not permanent. The drop in price should reflect the number of ships actually being sunk in PvP.

THIS!
Bubbleboy on the Virdian Ocean.
[Aug 16, 2017 11:29:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shademan987

Obsidian's population has steadily declined ever since the gold boxes inflated the dub prices. The mindset of "let the player market run itself" desperately needs to change. An ocean will die if doubloons are too costly and items are unaffordable. Period. Expensive dubs makes playing feel disheartening on every level, whether you're a newbie pirate, a stall owner, or a captain trying to build up a crew. It's disheartening to put in four battles of work just to buy a single doubloon that's not even worth anything but a whisking potion. This is why obsidian has lost the feeling of excitement and life that it had in July. The doubloon costs are simply disheartening and suck the fun out of growing the ocean. This is why the population is dwindling every day. Not even the loyal vets are willing to suffer through this market, so do you really think the newbies we get from Steam will be retained? There's no chance. They will have even less patience.

I understand GH relies on doubloons for income, but something has to change. There has to be a median. I don't know if that means disabling dubs to poe exchange, lifting the delivery cost of certain items, shifting doubloons for mainly cosmetic items, or some other solution, but something needs to be done and preferably soon. This is becoming an emergency.
You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.
-- William Faulkner

Dashy | Suspicious Activity | Obsidian Ocean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by shademan987 at Aug 17, 2017 9:41:20 AM]
[Aug 17, 2017 9:20:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Obsidian's population has steadily declined ever since the gold boxes inflated the dub prices.

I'm no fan of gold boxes being on Obsidian either, but this is simply untrue, the decline was happening well before Gold Boxes came out, when doubloons were still at 2.2k. Source

Jjc & Jice on Emerald
[Aug 17, 2017 11:56:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GreatBob

Obsidian's population has steadily declined ever since the gold boxes inflated the dub prices. The mindset of "let the player market run itself" desperately needs to change. An ocean will die if doubloons are too costly and items are unaffordable. Period. Expensive dubs makes playing feel disheartening on every level, whether you're a newbie pirate, a stall owner, or a captain trying to build up a crew. It's disheartening to put in four battles of work just to buy a single doubloon that's not even worth anything but a whisking potion. This is why obsidian has lost the feeling of excitement and life that it had in July. The doubloon costs are simply disheartening and suck the fun out of growing the ocean. This is why the population is dwindling every day. Not even the loyal vets are willing to suffer through this market, so do you really think the newbies we get from Steam will be retained? There's no chance. They will have even less patience.

I understand GH relies on doubloons for income, but something has to change. There has to be a median. I don't know if that means disabling dubs to poe exchange, lifting the delivery cost of certain items, shifting doubloons for mainly cosmetic items, or some other solution, but something needs to be done and preferably soon. This is becoming an emergency.

Doubloons need to be shifted so they are more centric on things the player has control over. This means access to content (badges) and items they're not at risk of losing. Losing a Xebec in SMH has enough of a negative effect without also having cost someone ~$9. The delivery fee for ships should be completely scrapped, especially since this is a sinking ocean. Allowing players to directly remove something from another player that they have paid cash for is flawed. Every time I go out and sink a sloop, I've cost that person $3.

I completely agree that something must be done.

[Aug 17, 2017 2:30:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EherosUnited

Yes i agree, dubs are now worth 27k on meridian. sounds ridiculous if you want to buy a bumper kit for 1300poe and have it delivered for 54k -2dubs.

its obvious what has to be done and that is the programmers just go in and reset the dubs to something reasonable.
[Aug 18, 2017 5:19:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Acekingsjs

Sry for my bad english:

From my past experience of gaming,
I only play game that is free. As a poor gamer, your dubs price are not regional, its base on dollar. For a player from asian country, we are already paying more to get same amount of dubs comparing to other players. It's bull shit.

Main point is:
Indeed the dubs price in the bank need to implement rooftop price for the inflation and minimum to prevent any arguement. However, the big cash player="whale" will feel unfair to them.
Whales should be attract by not just providing a short cut to achieve better result , if you notice valve, LoL those strategy game , whales don't affect the outcome of the game. Mmr is implemented to distinguish the good and bad players.

From my 12 years of on-off puzzle pirate gaming experience .
Inflation can be control through various method.
Below are some items/function should be able to distinguish for better experience of gaming.

1. Player poe limit should set to 1m, extra poe need to be save in bank. Every transaction should cost 2 dubs or more. If more poe needed for trading transaction, then provide a function to trade through bank, every 1m cost 2dubs. Those are the rich/wealthy player in term of poe in game, force them pay to contribute on the game economy.

2. Fam should not be drop from greedy/any chest. No! This obviously is an high-class extreme rare item that should be given to whales. Trading between players will allow the whales to get huge sum of poe from it. Don't give it directly to whales, make a box lottery system for they to pay to buy more to win the items.

3. Cosmetic/furniture features should also be slightly heavy on dubs, any players who wanted to have good outfit, should pay more on delivery. But this will affect on the stalls owner. We can exclude the rental fee from this kind of shop, increase the profit. Instead charging taxes on the purchase towards to the owner, pay them maybe 5% extra, since they are producing something that encourage the flow of dubs. However, limit a stall capability to produce those items, scroll of item needed etc. Poe chest could allow storage of 1m limit, and the chest should cost more too since no transaction will be charge to player to store poe in the chest.

3.1 The shops is overflow, items goes too cheap, no additional workers, all alts. This doesnt encourage the economy ,yet only increase the personal wealth. Make the stall owner to pay dubs weekly, having an extreme high fee in highly populated island, to encourage the development of smaller island and spread the economy across the sea, not heavily focus on 1 island. For a better price, player need to travel across island to spot the best price. The initiation of new stall need cost significant amount of dubs, especially in those over populated industry, such as IM. Maybe additional of 5 dubs per new stalls. All non active stall will be deleted, in 2 weeks time. Encourage low competitiveness of stalls, increase the product cost, increase the labour cost, encourage more economy flow. This also give more advantage to whales. If every place be open stalls and leaving it, i dont see any high privilege on having one. If price of stalls goes too high, then lower the dubs increase per stall, inject some competitiveness. Player might think of buying alot of stall at beginning stage, yet monthly their cost will have to pay dubs of each stalls owned. extra stall will do more harm than earning profit, which force them to buy the dubs.

4. Don't encourage pay to win too much, instead provide more rare/unique stuff to those whales. Captain badge should be heavy on dubs, creating a new crew need to pay maybe 30dubs, there are players who prefer to run 1man crew, I don't see reason to protect those extreme player who do not involve much in the game society. Captain is a huge privilege in the game, someone with power, who lead, who has the highest authority. And all captain must have captain badge to activate the crew, for example, no pilly or any form of crew activity will be allow, if the captain does not have an active badge, this force the remaining members to jump to other active crew. 2 months of any non active crew will automatically disband. There are crew with alot of SO, the trusted one with good authority, every 1 SO cost 5dubs addition to captain for monthly crew activation. Dubs can be donated by crewmate to captain if needed to share the burden, hence implementing this wont burden much to those captain. What is the point of having 100 crew with only 5 crew active? If those player wanted to run 1 man or tiny crew belong to himself, he/she has to pay for the price.

5. Flags, should also be the same with captain. King/Queen need to pay to remain as active flag. Once flag is inactive, no authority access to kade, no defending/ initiate a kade . Kade needed to be pay heavy in dubs to initiate the kade. Having an island belong to a flag is a huge privilege, since they can build up the island.

6. Extra features like buying protection coating for ships, given 60% chance to prevent the ships from sinking in pvp, kade, any sinking event. Repair will need to be made in SY. This give the whale captain to protect the properties of the crew/flag. Rogue mark should only provided by dub purchase as usual.

7. Certain LE sloop are only available through dub purchase. Can use the lottery system too.

8. Buying limited gold box, should be kept, it should be providing a random factor to give rare items, for example LE sloop design, pets and others.

9. Only master+ is allow to apply for SMH, forcing the rest player to focus on pilly. 1 faction only allow 4 entry per day, entry should be done base on bidding. Bidding entry price should be hidden. Extreme huge ships, such as GF design can only gt from bidding, weekly release 2 design each for each fraction, bidding is base on dubs, every bids increases the dubs, 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 etc. At the last 3minutes, every bidding should be raise by 5dubs and every new bidding reset the 3minutes. GF strength should increase by significant, for example over power tanker ship, harder to take down, hence its more pricey and more possible to be purchase by flag king/queen to gain huge advantage in kade.

The concept is let the whales feed the game and the poor player, let average player to spend some for special access, let the poor player help the whale to win reputation/authority/power etc.
[Aug 18, 2017 11:04:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 80   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates