• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 612
Posts: 612   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 333030 times and has 611 replies Next Thread
Opsat

Re: On the Horizon: New Ocean, Big Changes! Reply to this Post

They mentioned that the story is that there is an "insidious darkness" invading this ocean. So I imagine it is like all pirates come into this ocean (supposedly) in pretty much the same way (as normal pirates) but then depending on where they spawn (i.e., depending on what the player chooses - dark or light), they either become affected by this darkness or not.

The Cursed vs The Enlightened

I guess that would work if the ocean is meant to be a bigger version of a CI smh. =P (Not really. But I mean, at least as far as the names go.)

But if the scenario is a whole different thing, maybe better if they thought of other terms.
----------------------------------------
Opsat on all oceans.
(Also Opsat-East on Emerald and Meridian, and Opsat-West on Cerulean.)
And on Obsidian: Opsat, Meghost, and Meshadow.
[Dec 21, 2016 9:19:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
herieman

I gues it would make sence to go with something like
The Navy vs The Pirates

Where Pirates would be the dark side and Navy the light side.

I gues that would fit the theme

But i am also a fan of One Piece and Pirates vs Marines would be ok with me aswell ;D
Herieman on Meridian and on Emerald

[14:17:38] Crazysanta says, "Buying CAMO Chameleon!! Send me a tell <3"
[14:17:52] Gloninduil says, "camo camo camo camo camo chameleon <3"
[Dec 22, 2016 1:39:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

The Navy vs The Pirates

But i am also a fan of One Piece and Pirates vs Marines would be ok with me aswell ;D

But we're all pirates! =P

The Cursed vs. The Enlightened would work very well, if only the terms weren't already in use...
Opsat on all oceans.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Opsat at Dec 22, 2016 3:52:45 AM]
[Dec 22, 2016 3:41:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
herieman

The Navy vs The Pirates

But we're all pirates! =P

The Cursed vs. The Enlightened would work very well, if only the terms weren't already in use...

Well with a new ocean new things can happen.
Also, though we are all pirates, we work for the navy in fact in the game.

Besides, in the story it could very well be that the pirates overrun the ocean and that would be the moment the ocean turns into a sorta normal ocean (that would take years though).
Herieman on Meridian and on Emerald

[14:17:38] Crazysanta says, "Buying CAMO Chameleon!! Send me a tell <3"
[14:17:52] Gloninduil says, "camo camo camo camo camo chameleon <3"
[Dec 22, 2016 5:48:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

OK, dubs on the dark seas will be separate from the main ocean.

So, if I buy a bunch of new dubs (either with RL money or off the exchange), will I be able to convert them to dubscriptions?

Edit: I'm guessing the answer is "no". Just like not letting new dubs be usable on the old oceans, this adds an element of risk to investing in the new ocean. If you don't find the new game fun, or it fizzles, you can't reuse the money spent on new dups on the existing game. On the other hand, everyone starts out equal this way.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Dec 22, 2016 7:24:03 AM]
[Dec 22, 2016 6:18:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wippit

OK, dubs on the dark seas will be separate from the main ocean.

So, if I buy a bunch of new dubs (either with RL money or off the exchange), will I be able to convert them to dubscriptions?

Yes.

Just remember, for the first little bit... nobody will have PoE. So nobody will be able to actually buy dubs on the exchange.
[Dec 22, 2016 7:18:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
da_vesti

Hi everyone,

I really, really love this stuff.

There certainly are some difficulties in creating a more dynamic game and shifting focus on interacting between players.

But at least for the economy, I don't think it's going to be too much of a problem, since the basic idea of economics is, that supplying and demanding parties try to match each other. Problems might occur when setting up and running shops is not/barely profitable, or when players can't afford items. But devs are gonna come up with some cool ideas there (I mean, they're not dumb and know how the game works).

And I think we definately need a game, where property in general is more dynamic. I'm playing on Meridian, and seeing that the three player-owned shops on Lima are barely being looked after and still not dusted, makes me angry. I can't really estimate, how much PoE there is in these shoppes' holds, but I guess the dead mass there is ridiculous.

After all, I am really looking forward to this. Maybe you developers can update us on new concepts/ideas in the later stage of development, so ideas can be discussed? Right now, we can only speculate about all the stuff that's coming, as the plans sound kinda vague after all. But It's going in the right direction.

P.S.:
@ all those pessimists in this thread: Really? Critizing is ok, but it has to be constructive, not destructive. Please.
Jacktherippa on Meridian

Duf on Emerald

Fools for ever! <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by da_vesti at Dec 22, 2016 7:38:48 AM]
[Dec 22, 2016 7:37:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

Ahoy again everyone!

First, this has been asked/mentioned before regarding the layout of this new ocean.

Assuming I understand correctly that pirates start out on either of 2 spawn islands (base camp) - one for light, one for dark... I expect that these base islands are (and will forever be) OM-controlled. How will they be positioned relative to each other, and to the rest of the islands? Will the base islands be...

a. more or less in the middle of each half of the ocean, surrounded by islands on all sides ,
b. one on each end of the ocean, with all other islands in between them , or
c. next to each other in the center of the ocean, with the other islands going out from that point ?

(Please excuse my crude illustrations. I am not an artsy pirate.) The white circle is the light base island, the black circle is the dark base island, the green objects are the other islands to be discovered, conquered, fought for, etc. Apologies I drew them randomly and not arranged in archipelagos. Just imagine that they are. =P

I would personally prefer the first layout, I think. Similar to what wippit was describing earlier, the area in between the red lines is probably going to be the most pvp/blockade active areas. The ones behind the lines (or behind the base islands) will be relatively 'safer'. (Though not completely safe because the enemy can always try to go around to reach those places.)
It might take forever for the light and dark to find each other with the second layout. (I'm exaggerating. =P )
The third layout might be too chaotic.

Second, I don't know what it's like in Steam but in the regular client, we can have 3 pirates per account, right? So, is it possible for someone to create a 'light' pirate, and a 'dark' pirate? I would like that.
I would probably mostly play on just one, but I would be curious as to what it's like for the other side, and maybe try it every now and then. Of course, one can only play one pirate at a time.
Opsat on all oceans.
[Dec 22, 2016 11:58:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ghostbeardz1

Yarr, if there be a big discussion of game mechanics going on in our fine forums, I might also have a game mechanic topic which could help sprout some healthy discussions.

Working as a Greeter for Emerald Ocean & as a Senior Officer for Royal United Navy, I meet a lot of different types of players who pass through along their journeys. One phenomenon I see more & more frequently are returning players eager to come back to the game & pilot some fun ships. Yarr, it’s probably not too surprising to see such enthusiasm for grabbing hold of the ship helm’s wheel, as we all are pirates after all.

Of course, we all know from experience upon the waters, where there will be some hours where there will be many pilots out there, competing with job notices for ships of different sizes. There will probably be some famed for their skill in battle navigation, who will be loading up their War Brig or War Frigate looking to fill their big hold with Lavish Lockers & there will be other captains loading their own mid-size ships like Fanchuans, Baghlahs, or Longships. During frequent moments like these, a young pilot or recently-returned pilot, will probably only have the game option of playing with a undermanned sloop. There are some pilots who after coming back for a few weeks of half-manned sloop pillages, who come to figure that low-staff pillage games might be only gameplay we have to offer them, & gradually part to keep seeking out other gaming opportunities on the horizon. A ole’ Ghost like me will always try to come up with creative ways to help guide our newly returned hearties to gameplay which fits their style, but there always have been friendly pilots who part ways & who never find a gameplay which keeps them coming back

All of me stories here be a personalized way of describing the broader mathematical phenomenon of Average Pilot-to-Puzzler Ratio & how it affects the day-to-day life of experienced players & newer players alike. The reason I bring this up within a post about the Dark Seas, is it’s quite possible the unexplored frontiers of the Dark Seas might draw a of pilot-adventurer personalities as well as quite a few individualist explorer personalities, which could lead to a noticeably higher ratio of Pilot-Players to Duty-Puzzlers within the Dark Seas. If current ship sizes & swabbie-staffing ratios remain with the current numerical requirements within the Dark Seas rules, it could be very possible that steep pilot-to-puzzler ratios could pose real challenges to gameplay within the Dark Seas. Of course, from a more positive perspective, this could also make the Dark Seas a excellent place for testing & experimenting with alternative ship staffing structures.

I figured this thread could be a great place to toss this idea around, as this forum could be a great place to prepare ideas for possible future scenarios where there might be high ratios of eager pilots each hoping to hop on & quickly load their prized ship for exciting pilot adventures. For days like that, it might be useful to have ready some extra gameplay options for them even on those days where the ratio of ships to puzzlers might maybe be a little steep.

There be no way for a ole’ Ghost like me to see all of what the future holds ahead, even if I were to bring my finest gilded spyglass up to the top of my tallest ship. But I figure on those gusty days, where we don’t yet know which direction the wind might blow us, it often be worth it to cook up multiple plans which might be ready in case a heavy wind blows in from a surprising direction. Whichever path the winds bring us next, I feel blessed to be a part of such a brave band of pirates & hopefully everybody’s holidays & new years all be full of treasure.
Ghostbeards of Emerald
Senior Officer of The Royal United Navy
[Dec 22, 2016 1:17:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverdream

"A Sea Monster Hunt rotation so that only one type is available at any time, to help concentrate player activity and voyages into a more condensed area of the game."

In the kraken you get much poe. After the release you have only 1 week per month to get much poe. That means you have to buy more dubs for real money. This implicates more profit for the game provider.

And i dont want to play SMH's, which i dont like. You will produce dead oceans with this, if you really release this. The player want to play their own game and not what the game provider want!
Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt - Monarch of Kraken Down (Emerald)

Platia - Captain of Kraken Hunt (Obsidian)

Platia - Senior Officer of Lords of Darkness - Monarch of Dark Shadows (Opal)

------

Platia on all other oceans!
[Dec 22, 2016 3:06:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

A reason why I love kraken is because I can solo it (I play mostly on low-population Cerulean nowadays). Plus I can practice with swirls and stuff (yay!) - a nice variation from the usual sailing or carping, etc. The poe is just a bonus. ;)

But I would gladly join a CI or Atlantis or Haunted Seas or whatever if they were available on the board. =)

I don't know... maybe I'm just a go-with-the-flow type of pirate. =P

Speaking of Kraken, though, when occasionally playing on more populated oceans like Emerald, I do sometimes wish people were a little less selective with jobbers. I mean, I get excited seeing 2 or 3 krakens on board only to find out that all of them are looking for DE+ or something. How can someone get to that if they are getting rejected most of the time? =P

ETA:

Ghostbeards,

Ye must be the very nice greeter that some pirates have been commending in other parts of this forums. Glad to meet you and keep up the good work. =)

As for altering 'ship staffing structures' you mentioned, what exactly do you mean?

I can understand that a lot of pirates want to jump onto ships and run pillages, etc., of their own, but perhaps if they take into consideration the number of pirates online (and some of these may just be interested in sitting in tables at inns or tinkering around in stall/shops), then it would be wiser if they realize it might be better to join a pilly already loading on board than to start another one.

In any case, how do you suggest they are altered, for example?
Opsat on all oceans.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Opsat at Dec 22, 2016 7:13:27 PM]
[Dec 22, 2016 6:26:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Preciousjewl

In regards to PVP, something I would like to see, for those of us who suck at sword fighting:

If you outright sink a PVP, you enter a treasure haul and can haul treasure off the sunk ship instead of going for a grapple. You can only haul as much as you would've gained from winning the SF.

This.
... some change that means you do not have to SF in order to win a pvp.

I remember as a greenie ish player - being pvped by a player who was fantabulous in sf but soso in bnav (as was I - sucking at bnav that is).
The bnav success or otherwise was immaterial as with her sf skills she was never going to lose.
That did annoy me (understatement).

Also, who is going to want to take greenies out if they are truly new and do not know how to sf very well?

if your plan is to encourage new players - having sf as being essential to a win in pvp does not work (imho).

Good luck.

cheers
PJ
Awesome Avatar by the Awesome Gamerfrk - Thanx Gamer :):):):)
[Dec 23, 2016 9:39:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Preciousjewl

3. Can PvP'ing get it's own individual stat on a player's pirate page?
#1 PvP'er, now that would be worth going for and might bring some retired players back.

Love This Idea.

cheers
PJ
Awesome Avatar by the Awesome Gamerfrk - Thanx Gamer :):):):)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Preciousjewl at Dec 23, 2016 9:51:12 AM]
[Dec 23, 2016 9:42:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yl1105

I would have to say that this sounds really interesting. I joined 2 years ago and only started spending a lot of time in this game recently. Just that when I was starting to have decent poes and fams a new ocean is going to be released. Its a pity you can't bring them over.

+1 to the awesome concept but I will not be playing it
drumroll please
[Edit 2 times, last edit by yl1105 at Dec 23, 2016 10:28:38 AM]
[Dec 23, 2016 10:26:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wippit

If PVP is to be a focus of this ocean, I suggest disabling duty nav while swabbying a ship.
[Dec 23, 2016 11:06:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

Can we bring back Sea Battle rank please?
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Dec 23, 2016 12:47:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

3. Can PvP'ing get it's own individual stat on a player's pirate page?
#1 PvP'er, now that would be worth going for and might bring some retired players back.

I am almost sold here. PvP trophies were suggested... Its hard to be done as i always was told, however i wish there will be ships rewarding like evolving decoration (painting) for wins, unlocking by level of pvp experience or won particular trophy...
GULFipedia:
"Real life made me to respect people in games faster. Games made me to mute people in real life easier."
[Dec 24, 2016 7:50:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deltaruler

As we read PvP, most of us think only about PvP during the sea battle, but i think and it should be overall pvp ocean, which means NO BOTS at all, only players. In this case we could accept NAVY<> PIRATES separation within many options to establish nasty rivalry. Conditions of teams should include the mechanics of alliance defense - impossibility to engage teammates. Additional "hoisting colors" by the current status of the side could make hunting at sea very interesting. As example one player who has decided to be part of the navy, may decide to hunt pirates at sea... But if the hunted pirate has some experience and by unlocking and/or purchasing/wining the right to be privateer for limited time, could use the navy colors to save himself, but once he used the option, he can't keep act as pirate, but only after dividing the booty...

Also there must be options for pirates to join (even temporary) the NAVY in order to explore and memorize. Anyway, changing the team shouldn't be so easy as anyone whenever decide.

Large group land freis between the parties as part of the game scenario or as new finale stage for the blockade sounds great to me (the amount of the players for each side must be proportional to the won points during the standard kade stage "at sea", and may be sorted/selected by the leaders of each side (new optional voted position as MAA)...

There is many small details to add even on our oceans, but once i started, let me share few ideas. I wish to buy chained cannonballs and add them into to hold for battling usage. Also, if the Maneuvers will be part of the game, i suggest when you produce them for any ship, the same amount of the completed sets will be available at your own booty and available all the time in any sea battle. Potions and charms are next huge area to be used to trigger excitement - as other role games, the player has their power at hand - summon zombies for his own side at land or tralls at sea... Bring skellies in SF frei... Creating special abilities within new puzzles - climbing, shooting (pistols & rifles - as steam has other SHOOTING GAMES I CANT SEE THIS IS ISSUE as i was told when suggested that), fishing...
Mentioning other games isn't very useful, but scenario must be competitive to all the games that conquered the smartphones for multiplayer.
GULFipedia:
"Real life made me to respect people in games faster. Games made me to mute people in real life easier."
[Edit 3 times, last edit by deltaruler at Dec 25, 2016 12:14:14 PM]
[Dec 25, 2016 12:04:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

If a new stat is going to be tracked for PvP, shot efficiency as well as battle length should factor into it (with shot efficiency having a heavier weight).

Shot efficiency should somewhat reflect skill (big difference between shooting virtually every turn and shooting only when you believe you're going to land a hit).

However, to counter-balance the "yeah, he's accurate but his battles last 25-30 min each" the length of each battle should weigh-in on the stat.

If PvP is going to be "forced", can the boards be made smaller (Imperial Outpost boards are plenty big)? And would it be possible to incorporate a shrinking boundary after a certain amount of time? (I know the latter has been requested/discussed at least once, but many more times that that, I think)

If players have the ability to select an "avoid pvp" setting, then maybe they would get a board twice the size of an Imperial Outpost board?
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Dec 25, 2016 3:41:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

No bots would require some insane core changes, as brigands and barbarians are the primary poe fountain at the lower levels.

shooting (pistols & rifles - as steam has other SHOOTING GAMES I CANT SEE THIS IS ISSUE as i was told when suggested that)

Three Rings stated time and time again that there would never be handguns in the game (Cleaver was personally opposed to that, and I don't think he was the only one). And since the GH team is the same (minus a few people), I don't see that changing.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Dec 25, 2016 3:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

steam has other SHOOTING GAMES I CANT SEE THIS IS ISSUE

Also this doesn't really mean anything. Steam is just a place you can buy games. It should have no effect on what goes in the game.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Dec 25, 2016 5:52:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Three Rings stated time and time again that there would never be handguns in the game (Cleaver was personally opposed to that, and I don't think he was the only one). And since the GH team is the same (minus a few people), I don't see that changing.

Is Cleaver one of the people who's moved on, though? Personally, I don't think the game needs guns, and there's a good chance they would end up being more of a distraction than a benefit. This new ocean is going to sink down enough developer time as it is, after all. New puzzles would only increase that time needed.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 25, 2016 6:21:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Is Cleaver one of the people who's moved on, though?

Fairly certain that Cleaver is involved in Grey Havens. Unsure as to how involved he is though.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Dec 25, 2016 7:22:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Gorillabuddy

On the other hand, I'm sure when they said that guns would not be in the game, kids were a much bigger demographic than they are now. At least on cerulean, there is hardly anybody under 20 years old. So if they felt like adding guns I think it would be fine, but I'm just saying it's not necessary.
Pliskin of Cerulean

[Dec 26, 2016 6:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madesteven

Old school guy here, just heard about this and I´ve read through all the thread. Lots of what seem to be casuals complaining about this all. But I know that myself and a lot of players from the old days will happily play again if you guys can pull this off properly.
Jacada
Senior Officer - Anarchist Syndicate
Lord of Versus Terminus
Obsidian Ocean
Defiant Armada

[Dec 26, 2016 9:23:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lkaynlee13

I'm excited for this change as I think that it will introduce new players to PP and bring back old players! I understand those who fear the possible death of the current oceans as a result of Obsidian's release, but I don't think that it will have a permanent effect on their populations. My guess is that after most people try Obsidian and when most of the hype dies after its release that things will return closely to their current equilibrium (online ocean population, active players/puzzlers, etc.) until the population of PP in its entirety rises and people (particularly new players) expand beyond Obsidian.

All of the new features sound interesting and promising (I'm especially looking forward to shoppe destruction to prevent cluttered islands like Terra on Meridian or Admiral on Emerald from coming about).

I am curious though: Are there any plans for a(n) beta/alpha test to workout bugs and to let players try out some of the new features before the ocean's release? If so, who will be allowed to test (ice testers/subscribers; a mix between new players/greenies and older, more experienced players)?
Lkaynlee on every ocean.
Currently exploring Meridian.
[Dec 26, 2016 7:30:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tejb5

I am still curious about my earlier question if wagering in general will be downsized in terms of amounts, or just poker. As i said, it would be unfair to have poker with lower buy ins and then have expert sword fighters able to do 5m+ wagers whenever they want.
-Shigby
[Dec 26, 2016 11:09:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

All of the new features sound interesting and promising (I'm especially looking forward to shoppe destruction to prevent cluttered islands like Terra on Meridian or Admiral on Emerald from coming about).

I try to stay away from Admiral on Emerald as much as I can. I miss being able to walk around! So glad I live on Wensleydale.

ETA:

But back to game design. =P

I still think the dark vs. light idea they have is way better than navy vs. pirates. Because in addition to "but we are all pirates! =P", I also thought that this darkness affecting Obsidian will also affect the navy.

Meaning, in the same way that there will be 'dark' and 'light' pirates (players), there will also be 'dark' and 'light' navy (NPCs), depending on whether they are in the part of the ocean that is affected or not.
Opsat on all oceans.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Opsat at Dec 27, 2016 6:46:00 AM]
[Dec 27, 2016 6:32:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I think this is fantastic, though in the medium term it will almost certainly mean the end of the existing oceans, simply through lack of players. But that is happening anyway (there's currently 150 people online on Viri/Mala which is near critical).

Will this new game only be accessible through Steam? I hope not. Steam launchers have various problems and it would be good to be able to download it and run it from YPP accounts as well. I fully support putting it out through Steam to new players but I hope it is not the only way in.

The idea of a more dynamic PVP based ocean is excellent, and higher turnover of shops and islands is also excellent.

Some people have facetiously talked about 'Puzzle Pirates: EVE'. Well, I've been playing a lot of Eve lately, and there are some things we should learn from that game, in particular how to make a PVP-oriented game have fun things to do for non-PVPers.

- High and low security space, or 'seas'. The light and dark side should have areas of the ocean that they fully control, as Ringer islands, which are not contestable for blockades and where PVP is dissuaded (the current mechanic might be sufficient there, PVP in YPP is rare).
- Factional warfare - set aside regions that are contested between the factions, in which PVP is encouraged and players fight for control of assets (systems, or islands).
- Stations vs POSs/citadels. Give players the opportunity to do industry and trade in safe environments, which cannot be destroyed, but make it less efficient and more expensive to do so. This would map well onto indestructible stalls versus destructible shops.
- Null security - player controlled islands where the sovereignty holder controls what happens and who has access
- Risk vs reward - in lower security areas, there should be higher payouts, to encourage people to come out of the Ringer zone. For example, SMH maps should not spawn in high security areas.

On the specifics of the shop dusting mechanics, there are a few important points:
- If blockaders get to control the island-side stuff, then shopkeepers should get influence over island control too. I'm not exactly sure how, without a new system, though.
- If shops have a higher risk than stalls, they should be significantly more effective too, so it's worth having them. Make stalls have higher material costs for making things, and high enough that people will notice (20% or so).
- The dusting/takeover should take some time and give a warning - people shouldn't lose assets immediately if they can't be online, and a lot of shops have a material cycle time of several weeks so you need to give owners a chance. (This applies to shops on outposts now on live oceans, as well.) For this I propose: the governor can issue a warrant of repossession, effective in 8 days. An island governor can revoke any outstanding warrants. When a warrant activates, anything in the hold goes into a special container accessible from the market desk (in a fort/palace) - effectively a stall with infinite capacity but no trading or production - and the shop deed goes into the palace hold, or directly to the governor if that's hard. This means that (i) shopkeepers get some notice and (ii) you can blockade the island back if you don't like what they're doing to the shops.

If PVP is going to become more important, it needs to be better. In Eve, PVP is always worth it because ship fittings drop, even if the ship was empty. Some suggestions here:
- All PVP outside high security areas is sinking. People like sinking other people's stuff so that will be an incentive.
- PVP sinks allow you to TH the wreck (by giving you an instant TH expo) and recover 75% of the PoE that was in booty and coffers at sink time. Chests could be added to the TH to recover goods (the TH should probably be unrated in that case), if there were any.
- Record killmails of sinks, including who was on board and what was being carried. People love killmails with stats.
- Disengaging should be based on board position, not time. You should have to be at least 10 tiles away from any other ship to disengage
- You should be able to engage ships at league points. Knowing that it is easy to dodge a fight by abandoning at a LP is a big reason people don't try to PVP.
- Swabbying should be disallowed, or at the very least, you should be allowed to engage ships under swabby (and sink them, in low security seas). There is currently only one asset that has to be moved around the ocean - blockade fleets - and the game mechanics prevent you from interdicting them.
- Dnav shield should be better documented, and dnav should become the puzzle to avoid being PVPd.
- PVP bnav should be a separate standing so people can compete for it, if they want
- Ideally, battle boards should be open to third parties to enter, though that might be difficult.

On factions:
- It's a good idea, but we need good names for them.
- Will it be flag based, so you are automatically in the faction of a flag you join? If you change flag, does that require you to change sides?
- You should not be able to dock at an island which the opposing faction controls, or operate any shop/stall there (effectively, all opposing faction flags including the ringer flag would impose a wartime blockade against you). This makes faction control meaningful as you can't port or restock anywhere in territory you lost.
- In hostile high security waters you should either be banned entirely or faction brigands should attempt to engage and sink you
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Dec 27, 2016 4:50:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Opsat

On it being the end of existing oceans - nah. =P I expect pirates will flock to Obsidian especially in the first days but I doubt they will completely abandon the current oceans. I know I won't. ;) There are, at most, around 50+ people on Cerulean, currently. Some may call that 'dead', but I'm still having a lot of fun there. =)

On being accessible only through Steam, I do hope not. I haven't tried it so I don't know if I'll have any difficulties, but some have been saying it is problematic.

I expect the spawn islands (base camps), at the very least, will be OM-controlled and never be open to blockading. These would be your high security spaces. Perhaps a few more islands around it could be the same? I guess that would be fine. But the rest would be up for grabs.

I like the risk vs rewards idea you mentioned, as well as the less efficient, more expensive, safe trade environments vs. more efficient, less expensive, riskier trade environments.

I expect that management of those stalls/shoppes on blockadable islands (therefore, could be dusted) is a group (crew/flag) effort so that part about 'if they can't be online' shouldn't be a big problem, because I expect there would be at least one person in the group in charge of management that should be online - unless they all go for a lengthy vacation at the same time. =P

In Obsidian, I see a blockade as a winner take all thing. I mean, any shops/bazaars/stalls - everything, basically - on an island would transfer to the winning faction/flag/crew. Just like what happens to outpost islands currently, if I'm not mistaken. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) But I expect, in Obsidian, this would also be the case even if the island in question is a medium or large.

On a side note, I wonder what would happen if you live on an island that was won by the other side. If, for instance, you have a cottage there with furniture and things... If you are a 'light' pirate and the 'dark' won the island over, you'd be kicked out of your house (and the island), I expect. =P Would the furniture and stuff go back to your booty? Or would the 'enemies' be able to loot them? I certainly hope the former, but who knows. =P

On factions, you asked,

Will it be flag based, so you are automatically in the faction of a flag you join? If you change flag, does that require you to change sides?

I think it's the other way around, in this sense: in the beginning, you choose between light or dark. When you enter the game, if you choose to join someone else's crew/flag (as opposed to creating one of your own), you will only be able to join a crew/flag of the same faction. In fact, when you check the notice boards, you will only be able to see (and join) pillages, smhs, etc., of your 'half' of the ocean. (You can't apply for a job on the opposing faction's pillages, etc. You can't play with them, you can only play against them.) Point is, it starts from/depends on you (whether you are light or dark).

You should not be able to dock at an island which the opposing faction controls, or operate any shop/stall there (effectively, all opposing faction flags including the ringer flag would impose a wartime blockade against you). This makes faction control meaningful as you can't port or restock anywhere in territory you lost.

Not being able to operate any shop/stall on an island controlled by the opposing faction is, I think, a given. If you want to operate a shop/stall there, you'd have to blockade and win the island over first.

However, I'm not sure about not being able to dock (at all) on an island. I'm thinking this because shouldn't you be able to bring your ships there in preparation for a (scheduled) blockade? In fact, (reviewing the yppedia page on blockade), a royal must be on a ship docked on the island to be able to initiate a blockade.

So, I have no problem with ships not being able to dock on an opposing faction-controlled island when there is no blockade, but the act of initiating a blockade should grant the flag the ability to dock there in preparation for it.

But yes, I agree that said contender flag should not be able to restock on that island (because logically, I will not provide supplies to enemies wanting to take over my island =P ). So swabbying ships all the way to the island won't work. You can swabby it to the nearest island controlled by your faction, restock there, and evade your way to the island to be blockaded, then dock. =P Of course, you may be pvp'ed on the way. ;)

Now, since you can only dock on the island to be blockaded after the chest is dropped, perhaps a longer amount of time between the drop and the actual blockade is in order? I mean, if I drop the chest now, then spend the next 24 hours trying to get my ships to the island (amidst being pvp'ed as well), I might be too sleepy to be effective in the blockade. xD I don't know how long would be reasonable. Any ideas?

ETA: Just a few more things I remembered...

Did someone mention all pvp's should be sinking? I have no problem with pvp's against the opposing faction to be sinking, nor have any objections to the ability to TH those.

But I have this idea that one should be able to pvp within the faction as well. As practice, you know. =P You don't want to go out to battle with zero experience. =P So pvp within your faction (light or dark) would be like training. It should be possible, and perhaps, you might want those to be non-sinking. ;)
Opsat on all oceans.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Opsat at Dec 27, 2016 9:03:07 PM]
[Dec 27, 2016 8:34:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 612   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates