• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 612
Posts: 612   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 331824 times and has 611 replies Next Thread
SeaGi

Re: On the Horizon: New Ocean, Big Changes! Reply to this Post

I would like to suggest that when the island is blockaded by the enemy faction, that island owner side has to "run the blockade" in order to get to and from port. The attacking side can pay a larger war chest to make the automated blockade ships larger and more numerous. The duration of the blockade would last from the intent/drop until the actual PVP blockade, home island folks can load ships and battle the blockade forces, like a flotilla action, there could be sinks and treasure hauling or a bounty paid.

And/or, likewise an islands navy could be an automated security cordon to have to run through to get into an enemies port. The strength of the naval forces based on the size of the island, economy, Poe and stock taken from the island in the form of taxes and stock that must be replenished in the palace. If your porting at friendly island then you can just go to port.

Ringer islands can be "neutral" until won.
----------------------------------------
"pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall" -Prov 16:18

Jimmyjimjim,
Ex-downpressor of Babylon
Thankfully Retired
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SeaGi at Dec 28, 2016 7:37:46 PM]
[Dec 28, 2016 9:48:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

I must confess, I am intrigued. Lots of good questions here that I am hoping get answered. One that I've seen a few times yet but not answered is whether there will be someway to ensure existing pirates can snag or reserve their name on the new ocean.
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Dec 28, 2016 10:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
yorkyblue

Will there be alpha/beta testing for players to help out? If so, do you have a time period in mind?
a Song for the Deaf.

Rissymay wrote: 
I was taking a state capital quiz, and I got my own state wrong.

[Dec 29, 2016 7:29:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

muffynz wrote: 
I must confess, I am intrigued. Lots of good questions here that I am hoping get answered. One that I've seen a few times yet but not answered is whether there will be someway to ensure existing pirates can snag or reserve their name on the new ocean.

As much as I'd like to get "majestrate", I don't think I'll be upset if I can't get it reserved pre-public release.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Dec 29, 2016 12:29:44 PM]
[Dec 29, 2016 11:59:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Vengfulsoul

Does doubloons for deliveries still have to be a thing? I don't mind paying more dubs for badges; taxing deliveries with them seem to stifle the economy.
Vengiesoul- Meridian
SO of Schrödinger's cat
Professional Wigsas photographer
[Dec 29, 2016 12:15:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

muffynz wrote: 

As much as I'd like to get "majestrate", I don't think I'll be upset if I can't get it reserved pre-public release.

Some of us have brands that need preserving.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Dec 29, 2016 12:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Leif wrote: 

thanks for the quote correction, not sure why I misquoted as ptg instead of muffynz.

No one needs anything to be preserved. You want to do so. Besides, what's the point in reserving your place if you're only going to play for a few months and then decide you're not interested?
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Dec 29, 2016 12:44:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
patgangster

Because playing for a few months and then deciding you're not interested is better than being annoyed at day one
TriplePat, Emerald.
[Dec 29, 2016 12:53:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmpressTamar

Same here, I'm hoping there's a window of time to preserve names. A week, bare minimum. It's not just my name that I'm worried someone could take, but the names of friends and people I know. It would be easy to impersonate or take advantage of someone if names aren't protected.
Empresstamar of Emerald.
Yppedia page

Gorgeous avatar by by Cattrin <3
[Dec 29, 2016 1:03:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Does doubloons for deliveries still have to be a thing? I don't mind paying more dubs for badges; taxing deliveries with them seem to stifle the economy.

Taxing playing the game, on the other hand, stifles the game.

Personally, I would like to see a mix-- changes to both the delivery and badges. I've stated many times that I think the fee structure of this game (both sub and dub) need a review and overhaul, to bring the game more in line with current play/pay styles. That is, allow players to get into the game and see if they enjoy it before smacking them with the nickel and dime routine.

Luxury items should still have delivery fees. If I want a valkyrie statue, yes, I should be paying for it. Officer badges and ships, also. It may take a player a while to get their first sloop without paying real-life money, but y'know? We need jobbers as well as officers.

What needs to be dub-free are low end clothing, weapons, and sundries. Things that give a player their first taste of actual rewards. You know how many dirks and short swords get left unclaimed at my iron monger? Each one represents a player that said "I need WHAT to actually get this?

I also mentioned one possible way to remove labor badges from the game. I'm not going to insist that my way is the best possible way to do this, but I think that opening up the labor puzzles all the time would be another good step towards making the game greenie-friendly.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 29, 2016 6:05:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vengfulsoul

I've stated many times that I think the fee structure of this game (both sub and dub) need a review and overhaul

Yeah a review and overhaul for this new ocean would be nice. There is a balancing act of having a doubloon sink vs. having things be over-priced. The only ones with the data are GH. Still though- perhaps something could be done with the years of wisdom of having a dubs ocean.
Vengiesoul- Meridian
SO of Schrödinger's cat
Professional Wigsas photographer
[Dec 29, 2016 6:14:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Leif wrote: 

thanks for the quote correction, not sure why I misquoted as ptg instead of muffynz.

No one needs anything to be preserved. You want to do so. Besides, what's the point in reserving your place if you're only going to play for a few months and then decide you're not interested?

People need to know that if on any ocean you /tell leif you're getting a certain quality of response.

It is a fair point that they may not be able to get that response often. I have begun investigating franchising options. If you'd like to run a Leif, please send me a PM. It requires a certain insouciance, a world weary joie de vivre and not a little sauciness.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Dec 30, 2016 7:03:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Because playing for a few months and then deciding you're not interested is better than being annoyed at day one

Except that you end up with a bunch of users complaining that all the good names are taken by people that don't play.

If Blizzard were to come up with a new game that had some roots in WoW but wasn't the same game, would you really expect to be able to use the same character name just because you were the first to use it once upon a time many years ago? I have a feeling that some people are going to answer yes, in which case I point you to firstworldproblemwhinewhineboohoographic.jpg

Except Leif, he just gets the eyeroll graphic :P
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Dec 30, 2016 9:12:03 AM]
[Dec 30, 2016 9:11:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
Tayes

Sorry I'm late. Very excited to see this release. Great for the future of the game, gaining new players and a revamp for players who are ready for something new. Bonus for sick ocean name. This makes me feel like the new ownership group really cares about the players and really took into consideration players thoughts on the state of the ocean discussion threads among other player input streams.

A few thoughts:

All players will be required to choose an alignment in the dark vs. light battle, and PvP between these two factions is automatic.

A new ocean layout to accompany the dark vs. light story, with some newly created islands to explore.

I feel like we need more information on the extent of this light/dark. I like the idea but I hope it doesn't divide the ocean too much. i.e.: dark players can only join dark crews which can only join dark flags which can only join dark alliances, etc.

I love the fluidness of this game and how things can change on a dime.

I think light vs dark competitions, new story lines, exclusive areas and increase PvPing are all good though!

Shops can be demolished as part of the island takeover process, encouraging a robust turnover of managers and territory.

Again good and bad. I think this is a great step to reduce "trophy shoppes" and increase use of stalls. I feel as though we have some genuinely amazing shoppe owners who will be very negatively affected by this.

Is there any way to have a labour monitor for erasing shoppes? Ex: if a shoppe runs a minimum of X number of labour hours in the last month it can not be destroyed? That way the true shoppe owners don't get punished?

Other questions that I know will come in time are:
- How many shoppes can be removed in a week?
- Is there a minimum amount of time before destroying a shoppe or can my shoppe be destroyed next week?
- Is there a cost associated with destroying a shoppe to demotivate the island owners from just destroying for the sake of destroying?

A Sea Monster Hunt rotation so that only one type is available at any time, to help concentrate player activity and voyages into a more condensed area of the game.

Love it! Also can the % of getting a SMH familiar be decreased? I missed the days of parrot/octo/monkey only.

Poker will have greatly reduced buy-ins on this Ocean.

Again, great news! As previously posted though, wagers and comps are just as big as cash funnels. Can wagers be capped as well then? Can the amount of coloured familiar comps/tournaments be reduced and replaced with other rare/unique prizes or non coloured familiars?

Dark Seas will be an isolated doubloon ocean where doubloon trades with our current oceans will not be enabled.

I like the even footing start. It will suck to start from scratch again but it will make it so much more rewarding to play.

I hope steam will increase the player base with new players!

Overall, I am happy you are keeping the other oceans open for the memories but also opening a brand new game with a plan to better Puzzle Pirates. Even with my many questions, I am extremely excited to come out of retirement and play again.

Thank you Grey Havens!

Fair Winds and see you in 2017!

Tayes
-Tayes

Blaming Brenda
[Dec 30, 2016 12:40:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Tayes wrote: 
Forculus wrote: 
Shops can be demolished as part of the island takeover process, encouraging a robust turnover of managers and territory.

Again good and bad. I think this is a great step to reduce "trophy shoppes" and increase use of stalls. I feel as though we have some genuinely amazing shoppe owners who will be very negatively affected by this.

Is there any way to have a labour monitor for erasing shoppes? Ex: if a shoppe runs a minimum of X number of labour hours in the last month it can not be destroyed? That way the true shoppe owners don't get punished?

Other questions that I know will come in time are:
- How many shoppes can be removed in a week?
- Is there a minimum amount of time before destroying a shoppe or can my shoppe be destroyed next week?
- Is there a cost associated with destroying a shoppe to demotivate the island owners from just destroying for the sake of destroying?

I was just thinking about this feature (destroying shoppes) and an idea popped into my head. I like this concept but, as was pointed out previously, the one thing it does is to force shoppe owners to play a part of the game they may not be interested in, which is something I'm not a fan of.

To that end, what about making it so that shoppe owners have a chance to ingratiate themselves to the new owners by bribing them to not destroy the owner's shoppe? The price would be a sizable amount, but not something unattainable and it should vary based on how much competition the shoppe owner has on the island (other shoppes only, not stalls). The payment would be a game mechanic and be sent to the fort/palace coffers.

• Let's say you were the owner of an IM on an outpost island and the island was just lost to an attacker. Within 72 hours the shoppe owner would have the option of paying 200,000 pieces of eight to maintain their shoppe. After 72 hours the flag that won the island is given the option to destroy your shoppe, but there would be a time limit on how long they had the option to destroy it (48 hours; that way the decision is made and executed before the next blockade window)

• Now let's say you were the owner of an IM on a large island with 3 other IM shoppes (not stalls) and the island was just lost to an attacker. Within 72 hours the shoppe owner would have the option of paying 140,000 pieces of eight to maintain their shoppe. After 72 hours the flag that won the island is given the option to destroy your shoppe, but there would be a time limit on how long they had the option to destroy it (48 hours; that way the decision is made and executed before the next blockade window)

• On islands where there are other shoppes of the same type, each owner would be paying the same amount for the ingratiation fee. So in the second example, the attacking flag would receive 140,000 pieces of eight from each IM shoppe owner that chose to pay the fee

• The amount I've selected as the base amount is 200,000 pieces of eight. For each competing shoppe type (again, not stall) on the island, the base amount is reduced by 20,000 pieces of eight. Again, going back to the second example, the 140,000 pieces of eight amount is based on 3 other IMs that you compete with for business.

20,000 x 3 = 60,000 and 200,000 - 60,000 = 140,000

Just an initial thought, there are likely holes that need to be addressed, but it does give shoppe owners a method to not have to deal with politics

==============

Separate subject. Not sure if this has been asked/requested already, but can this new format remove the global purse "feature"? Not to address the "why do we have non-functional banks" piece, but to try and force people to carry things with them when they sail (pieces of eight especially). Also as part of that, can you make everything that the pirate isn't currently wearing pilfer-able if the ship loses a PvP melee?

The only things that wouldn't be winnable are trinkets (or maybe they should be?), deeds, and portraits. Might need a pop-up warning (or a red-text message) for anyone that tries to board a ship with a familiar they aren't wearing, so that they can decide whether or not to risk taking it (can you put familiars in wardrobes? if not, need another piece of furniture)
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Edit 3 times, last edit by majestrate at Dec 31, 2016 11:05:09 AM]
[Dec 31, 2016 11:00:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
patrys12

I just quickly scanned the thread and maybe I missed a reply on the question asked about keeping current pirate names .. could someone clarify that we will have first option on keeping our current pirate names or not.
- xxx Alpha xxx -
[Dec 31, 2016 1:39:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sigaligasig

What's all this about some sort of ruckus-enhanced ocean? I'd play that.
"Those things are immune to causality!" -- Kimiko, Dresden Codak
[Dec 31, 2016 2:59:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sigaligasig [Link]  Go to top 
Drabillord

I was promised titans like a decade ago. Will there be titans?
[Dec 31, 2016 4:15:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    wassaf [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

drab wrote: 
I was promised titans like a decade ago. Will there be titans?

Does the Crimson Titan count?

Born of this thread
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Dec 31, 2016 4:27:54 PM]
[Dec 31, 2016 4:27:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I just quickly scanned the thread and maybe I missed a reply on the question asked about keeping current pirate names .. could someone clarify that we will have first option on keeping our current pirate names or not.

Hasn't been answered yet
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Dec 31, 2016 4:28:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
dionyza

I haven't logged in, thought about logging in, or played for a number of years. Until I saw a friend post about this future update.

I'm excited- and looking forward to playing on an ocean like this -- I think it's LONG LONG LONG overdue. I eagerly await news that it opens -- and can't wait to introduce my kid(s!) to playing on a fresh game.

Humbly yours,
-T.
Scourge of Sage (and Emerald)
Tortie of Sage

Wait - I mean 'of Emerald'

No? How about Obsidian?
[Dec 31, 2016 5:59:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.iasis.net    dionyzae    dionyzae [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Hasn't been answered yet

If they're keeping up to tradition, the developers are on vacation until next week.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 31, 2016 6:37:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

Exciting times!

What is the plan to balance the size of the factions? If players are allowed to choose freely, won't most choose the side that wins more, further strengthening that side?

Someone suggested that blockades be 'winner takes all'. I think this could be interesting in a pvp environment, and could be further enhanced by allowing the losing side to 'scorch the earth' and destroy or damage some number of shops, based on how well they did in the blockade.

It seems that this ocean might not be enjoyable by the players who are most fond of the merchant and shopkeeping gameplay. Perhaps this could be the place to build an automated economy, or at least an economy that can provide basic goods. Fancy goods could be the reward for merchants who do brave the harsh waters.
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Skal at Dec 31, 2016 9:27:30 PM]
[Dec 31, 2016 9:13:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

If this happens, will names only be reserved if said player has logged in within say the last 6 months?
Presuming there are two pirates with the same name on different oceans, does either get priority?
A significant portion of Emerald players will not have played cerulean/opal/jade, I could easily make an account on those oceans under their pirate name, and thus get a reserve on it right?

The obvious solution is therefor to have no reserve, or reserve based on who created the pirate name first.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
[Jan 1, 2017 3:33:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Randomasd

Looking forward to this. I will try it out, for sure.
[Jan 1, 2017 7:40:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
herminia

Great great news. An amazing way to start 2017.

I really don't understand some negative comments here. I understand that some of you have spent lots of time and some money into the game but c'mon, the game is already dead and if you don't want change it means that you're also responsible for KILLING it.

Change is necessary, and starting from zero again it's not bad. It's an opportunity. An opportunity for old players and for new players to come together. An opportunity to regain the hope we lost long ago. An opportunity to revive the game we love. An opportunity to enjoy new exciting adventures like we did in 2006.

It's really important that we all support and play this new game. It's also importantto have a marketing plan so we can reach new players.

We've been all waiting for this for so long (just notice the Facebook post, It exploded with comments from people that stopped playing long ago). It's probably our last chance. I'm counting on you, old players and devs :)

#MakeYPPGreatAgain
[Jan 1, 2017 9:29:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foodsample

I'm so excited for Obsidian!!

I've always felt like YYP's strongest more unique aspect was it's player run economy, but I've felt that the economy has really stagnated because there is very little opportunity to new players.

I think more disruption will be a great thing. I don't mind working on someone else's ship if I think I can get my own one day. I don't mind helping someone get an island, if I think I can get my own one day.

The best part of YPP for me is working with other people to accomplish goals, and that is why pillaging is so much fun!

I feel that side games like poker have given a minority the ability to amass huge amounts of wealth that pillaging will never be able to match. I don't think shops add very much value to the game, but rather is just an alternative for people to make money without interacting with the community.

I think these side games have turned the games core (pillaging) into a sideshow without real value. Maybe if we returned to fighting each other on ships and re-balanced the incentives so that working on a ship is the most profitable endeavor, the game would be fun for more people.
[Jan 1, 2017 11:17:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tribal1177

I think a fresh start will be fun, I'll be there to try that out.

Stoked about lessening the impact of poker.

Less stoked about automatic pvp. Found that to be a huge waste of time for very little monies in the past, but maybe the dynamic will change. We'll see!

Seeing a lot of concern about stat coasting for shoppes/job alts- and have some of my own on the duty puzzle side. Something should change to make stat retention less of an idlers game, or you only have <X> window before new players are locked out anyhow.
If you're not wasted, the day is.
[Jan 2, 2017 8:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
napleon

I don't feel like puzzling nor have I ever did so I will buy all of the doubs
Naploen-Sage
Pirate King since 2006
[Jan 3, 2017 3:24:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadymermady

I am excited for the new ocean!

Shoppes dusting – I think this is a great idea. Will there be any reason though, to build shoppes if they are getting dusted the following week? I can see people will predominantly run their businesses from stalls instead and I see this as a positive. I saw someone posted about maybe having some kind of fee for players wanting to secure another week with their shoppe, I think this is a good idea if the fee is substantial. Maybe sell route charts at the Palace instead of Ship Yards since the PoE goes nowhere anyway and people wont be as keen to waste time and effort building Sy’s if they are just going to be dusted.

Player bans – If previously banned players are all given a clean slate then so be it, I think this would be a positive. I think some of the players that were banned for less serious offenses would be more enticed to come back if they didn’t have to go through the lengthy plea process. I am sure Grey Havens has a “black list” of players who have committed more serious crimes, so why not give everyone a clean slate and just boot the baddies as they show their faces?

Flags/Crews – With the ocean being split between Dark & Light, does this mean all crews on one side are automatically Allies? If so, does this mean there will just be different crews all under the one flag being Dark or Light ? If this is the case, will there be a flag wide chat system to all crews on your side or will there be more of an announcement billboard type system where different crews can post what they are doing and it can only be viewed by members from that side (Dark or Light). ALSO! When posting jobbing notices will you only be jobbing people from your side or can voyages be a mix of players from both factions?

Ocean Map – Copy/paste the Viridian/Cobalt map, easiest to mem! :D

Labor – I agree with a previous statement about labor badges being ditched as well as offline labor. If you are adamant though on keeping labor badges, make all labour puzzles free to play everyday but you only actually apply labor and get paid if you have a badge?

Palor games – Like with Labor I would like to see all parlor games free to play everyday but maybe wagers can only be made if you have a badge? Add more games like Chess or make a YPP version of a trading card game ( I loved Gwent from the Witcher).

Name reserve – Yes please!

SMH rotation – not excited about this with the limited info that we have been given so far. I can see the positive impact of funneling the population into one area but I would rather get married to Osama bin Laden’s corpse then do HS for a week straight.

Leaving the other oceans behind – Move on guys and gals! I have 10+ years invested into the game just like a 1000 other people. I too have sentimental items that I love being able to look at from time to time, some items are from heartys who have sadly died in RL so I do understand how hard some people may find leaving their beloved items behind. Seriously guys move on, take a screenshot of your shit and move on. Make an online scrapbook with all your saved quotes, gift card inscriptions etc etc and move on. I think this is the smartest way to get everyone on one ocean and at a more level playing ground. There is no point allowing people to bring their stuff with them if we are wanting to attract new players.
As it stands, it is impossible for a new player to ever catch up on Emerald or Meridian because of players (myself included) who have hoarded for over a decade.

Sorry if i asked, repeated anything said by other players!

See you on Obsidian : )
Betty - Obsidian

Crip tells ye, "bout to turn on my balls warmer.."
[Jan 4, 2017 12:48:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 612   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates