mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 23, 2020 8:29:53 PM View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Donsmythe at May 11, 2008 11:54:48 PM
Chat substitution variables
Searching didn't turn this idea up, so hopefully it's a new suggestion....

Now that we can use function keys to send customizable chat messages, it would be nice to be able to have a few substitutions available. The most obvious one would be $island$, which would be replace with the island your pirate is standing on (or, if on a ship, it would give the island the ship is docked at or closest to). Then you could have a hotkey for a message like:

Skellies on $island$

And, for example, if you are standing on Durian, it would automatically become "Skellies on Durian". In the same vein, $scene$ could be handy too, to identify your current location, be it a shop, house, ship, etc.

Another example might be $lasttell$ which could insert the name of the pirate you most recently sent a tell to... "I'm in tells with $lasttell$ at the moment"....

Or $lastshout$ to give the pirate name of the person who most recently shouted something. ("Please shut up, $lastshout$!")

I'm sure other substitutions might make sense; if anyone wants to suggest more, feel free.

It may make sense to even allow substitutions like these to be used in normal chat and not just hot keyed messages.

Posted by tlz_allen at May 12, 2008 8:09:25 AM
Re: Chat substitutions

Searching didn't turn this idea up, so hopefully it's a new suggestion....

Now that we can use function keys to send customizable chat messages, it would be nice to be able to have a few substitutions available. The most obvious one would be $island$, which would be replace with the island your pirate is standing on (or, if on a ship, it would give the island the ship is docked at or closest to). Then you could have a hotkey for a message like:

Skellies on $island$

And, for example, if you are standing on Durian, it would automatically become "Skellies on Durian". In the same vein, $scene$ could be handy too, to identify your current location, be it a shop, house, ship, etc.

Is it really that tough to type "Skellies on Dirian Durian!" (evidently tougher than I thought! LOL) and the use a CTRL-C and CTRL-V to tell the rest of your crew, flag and hearties? Seems like a waste of time to me.
----------------------------------------
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders

Posted by HiimEric2001 at May 12, 2008 8:52:15 AM
Think of the possibilities!

$piratename$ could translate into every player's own name!

$piratename$ tells you, "Ahoy Cire."
You auto-responded "$piratename$ is a tool lololol" to $piratename$.

Cire shouts, "I love $piratename$."
Pirate1 tells you, "awww, thanks!"
Pirate2 tells you, "thanks ye"
Pirate3 tells you, "meet me in the palace's upstairs bedroom"
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

Posted by LJAmethyst at Mar 25, 2012 2:38:24 PM
Bump.

An excellent idea. Particularly now that we have programmable chat shortcuts.

I heartily endorse this product/service.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates